Searching for Seka

Looking at the post card with fresh eyes this morning, maybe it does say Dear George but the D looks more like a J and the R looks more like an N.

Annasmon, can you confirm from the original post card if it is dear or Jean.

Looking at the post card with fresh eyes this morning, maybe it does say Dear George but the D looks more like a J and the R looks more like an N.

Annasmon, can you confirm from the original post card if it is dear or Jean.

It is definitely "Dear"...nothing would indicate otherwise.

I've been kind of lurking around these threads for a while, and I was thinking about the Seka mystery. If 'Seka' means 'sister', then does anyone think that she may have Americanized her name to Sissy?

I typed in that last name that's listed above: Grskovic, into Facebook. There are many people with that last name, including a person with a name that is very, very similar to Seka. Since we're not supposed to sleuth private people, I will be happy to share that person's first name if anyone is interested. She looks like she would have been a young adult in the late 70s.

Edit: there are a couple of people with names that are very, very similar to the name Seka.

I have believed for quite some time that Seka is the key to finding out more about GB. I think Seka was in the US as a student and that she was from a wealthy family. Surely only a wealthy Serbian family could afford to send their daughter to school in another country and holiday in a beautiful beach side place in Skradin.

I was talking to a work colleague today that is from Macedonia, also part of former Yugoslavia, and she was able to tell me a few interesting things. I haven't re-read this thread yet but I will, I want to throw out there what have found out in the mean time.

My colleague also agrees that Seka would have to be from a wealthy family to be sent to the US to study and have holidays in Skradin.

We have thought for quite some time that Seka meant sister but we were wrong, right word, wrong spelling, ceka (with an accent over the c) is the word for sister not seka. My colleague was quite adamant about the 2 spellings of the word and she told me that Seka is always a shortening for the name Svetlana. She also told me that they have shortenings for most of their names eg: her name is Cristina and it is always shortened to Kiki.

I asked my colleague if little Tito had any meaning and her response was that it would be like calling someone little Hitler as Tito was a Yugoslavian leader that thought along the same lines as Hitler.

As I said, I will re-read this thread and ask my colleague about anything else I come across but if anyone else has any questions I can ask her, please post them, she is very eager to help.

Where is Kivasupport :( We need you.

Does anyone know if there is a directory or file online of Nursing graduates in and around 1978-1980 to see if there maybe a person who is/was Seka or Svetlana?

Hi SK,

My guess would be Berkeley but maybe Annasmom would have a better idea.

We do not really know that she was a student. She could have been an au pair, for instance. Lots of SF families have au pairs from good families to look after their students. We don't know what Seka was doing hanging out in one of the roughest neighborhoods in the city. Was she a student nurse? Did she have some affiliation with UCSF, the medical and nursing school? If she was a nursing student, she could have gone to any one of a dozen schools in San Francisco. Remember that Brody was living in San Francisco, not Oakland, at this time, even if he did his banking in Oakland.

SFState is on the other side of the city from the Tenderloin, pretty far away, and as far as I know neither GW or GB had any business on the west side of the city, where SFState is. City College (in SF) is a possibility. They probably have a pre-nursing program. Kaiser Hospital has a nursing program somewhere...this might be worth thinking about, because I think one of GW's job was at a Kaiser. I don't think Berkeley has a nursing program, but I could be mistaken.

Does anyone know if there is a directory or file online of Nursing graduates in and around 1978-1980 to see if there maybe a person who is/was Seka or Svetlana?

Do you think we should take another look at the Svetlana we were looking at earlier?

Hi Odyssey,

Can you PM me the surname if you have it. I have been looking at Svetlana's all day.

Ozziemum, look at post 158 in this thread (up a bit but on this page), so you can see what we had done so far, we have already looked into this Svetlana in the past and didn't really get anywhere...

Ozziemum, look at post 158 in this thread (up a bit but on this page), so you can see what we had done so far, we have already looked into this Svetlana in the past and didn't really get anywhere...

Never mind. That was a Svetka, not a Svetlana. :doh:

There is a story in today's New York Times titled "Marshal Tito in Queens" which talks about emigration from the former Yugoslavia to the United States. I am so vague about the turbulent history of this part of the world that I didn't know how to reconcile it with the fact that Brody called Seka "Little Tito". I am hoping somebody else can make a little more sense of it and perhaps put Seka's appearance in the U.S. and her return home into some kind of perspective. Of course we don't really know that this has anything to do with Anna's case, but it is yet another dead end we have encountered.

There is a story in today's New York Times titled "Marshal Tito in Queens" which talks about emigration from the former Yugoslavia to the United States. I am so vague about the turbulent history of this part of the world that I didn't know how to reconcile it with the fact that Brody called Seka "Little Tito". I am hoping somebody else can make a little more sense of it and perhaps put Seka's appearance in the U.S. and her return home into some kind of perspective. Of course we don't really know that this has anything to do with Anna's case, but it is yet another dead end we have encountered.

Hi Annasmom,

Since my post #164 in this thread, I have been trying to get time to go back and find out who used the name Little Tito and about who, so thank you for saving me the time.

As per my post, my colleague told me that calling someone Little Tito would be like calling someone Little Hitler so why would GB refer to Seka as Little Tito? Was it something she did or could it be that she was actually related to Tito, daughter, niece ? We are pretty sure that Seka came from a wealthy family so it could fit.

I am going to do some more research on Tito and see what I can find out.

Ok, getting a bit excited here. Tito lived in Belgrade for some time and he had a granddaughter, born in 1955, and her name is Svetlana (as per my colleague, Seka is a shortening for Svetlana) and she is a doctor, a cardiologist.

Going back to search more to see if I can find out if Svetlana was ever in the US.

Ok, getting a bit excited here. Tito lived in Belgrade for some time and he had a granddaughter, born in 1955, and her name is Svetlana (as per my colleague, Seka is a shortening for Svetlana) and she is a doctor, a cardiologist.

Going back to search more to see if I can find out if Svetlana was ever in the US.

!!!!!!!

I have been thinking about this Svetlana and even if she is not Seka, she would have been in Belgrade at the same time as Seka. The rich and famous usually "rub shoulders" so she may know who Seka is.

Does anyone else think it might be worth while contacting Svetlana? I think it should be done discretely as she is very well know among the medical profession. I think Doogie or Annasmom should be the one's to contact her if they think it is a good idea.

Hi Annasmom,

I didn't really understand this. I have thought about it all day and I don't know what you mean. Could you please explain?

If I can add how I interpreted it, she's excited and speechless about the possible find. :)

I find it very interesting, even if determined it is not related to Anna's case. Like Annasmom, I too am vague about the history....

hth and that I did not over step by adding my interpretation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cellarman
Back