Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending continued thoughts and prayers out to the Lyon family. We've been in this forum for many many years searching for answers. We've been sad, frustrated,angry,confused,hopeful and excited for what really might be answers....finally. But now that we seem to be getting somewhere, I'm getting scared to know what will be an awful truth and a horrible ending to the lives of two beautiful little girls. I can't begin to imagine what their family has gone through, is going through and will continue to go through. This case is what brought me here years ago and I just want these girls to finally rest in peace. Praying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been following this case for many years, specifically since I was interviewed by John Lyon on his radio show on WMAL back in the late 80's (I was in a local girl band at the time). It wasn't until after this interview that it dawned on me that this was the man whose daughters went missing. Now.... maybe someone can enlighten me about this case. What I don't understand is why Lloyd Lee Welch was not looked at more closely back in 1975. You have the friend of the Lyon sisters that said a man had been following them. She even provided a sketch, which resembled Welch. Evidently, Welch was NOT the infamous Tape Recorder Man, which should have been known at the time. Also, he was seen "talking" to a security guard that day. Shouldn't the police already have all the names of all the security guards at that time? Why are they now seeking out security guards to come forward?

I just think it's so sad that this family has had to wait 40 years for some type of closure when it seems as though they had all the means and reasons to look more closely at Welch at the time, especially since he resembled the sketch. I know the police have worked hard, and I'm not trying to discredit them at all, I just feel that this could have been solved a LONG time ago.

Please remember: MOO!

I don't think he was a suspect back then. When this broke, news reportedly said he was a recently developed suspect.

Lloyd Lee Welch was only named a "Person of Interest" in February 2014 in a joint MCP and FBI press Conferecne. He is still being referred to as a Person of Interest, not a suspect.

On 27 March 1975, two days after Sheila and Katherine went missing, a girl reported to police that she had been with the sisters at Wheaton Plaza on 25 March 1975 and that they had been followed and bothered by a young, long haired man. Police took her description and story and even came up with a composite sketch of the young man, which they filed away and did not release to the public until November 2013. Beginning in February 2014, MCP has voiced their belief that Welch was the Long Haired Man in the composite drawing.

On 1 April 1975, Lloyd Lee Welch called MCP from his mother's Hyattsville home and gave them his name and address. He reportedly called in a tip to police in the hope of claiming a reward being offered for information. He was not considered a suspect or person of interest at the time. It is not known if police ever followed up on Welch or his tip, but it evidently remained in the case files where it was seen by current case officers.

I have been following this case for many years, specifically since I was interviewed by John Lyon on his radio show on WMAL back in the late 80's (I was in a local girl band at the time). It wasn't until after this interview that it dawned on me that this was the man whose daughters went missing. Now.... maybe someone can enlighten me about this case. What I don't understand is why Lloyd Lee Welch was not looked at more closely back in 1975. You have the friend of the Lyon sisters that said a man had been following them. She even provided a sketch, which resembled Welch. Evidently, Welch was NOT the infamous Tape Recorder Man, which should have been known at the time. Also, he was seen "talking" to a security guard that day. Shouldn't the police already have all the names of all the security guards at that time? Why are they now seeking out security guards to come forward?

You are assuming that the police knew who Welch was in 1975. They didn't. His name only came up last year.

I just think it's so sad that this family has had to wait 40 years for some type of closure when it seems as though they had all the means and reasons to look more closely at Welch at the time, especially since he resembled the sketch. I know the police have worked hard, and I'm not trying to discredit them at all, I just feel that this could have been solved a LONG time ago.

Please remember: MOO!

You are assuming that the police knew who Welch was in 1975. They didn't. His name only came up last year. How would they have known who he was in 1975?

You are assuming that the police knew who Welch was in 1975. They didn't. His name only came up last year. How would they have known who he was in 1975?
He came up after some undeveloped pictures from that day were given to police.

Is there a link anywhere in any of these threads to a newspaper article of Michael's mother's death? It has been totally chaotic here where the investigation and search is happening. Virginia State Police helicopter was flying low over our house yesterday and across the mountain to get a better look at the terrain, my phone has been ringing off the hook, reporters calling and sending messages to me on Facebook. We've been told they brought in a crew from Radford to do ground scanning and that the Body Farm in Tennessee is on stand-by.

I found these photos of the search on the FB page for Taylor's Mountain Decendants. Hope it helps!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152708767329592.1073741851.171713764591&type=1

I checked it out. They are not too happy about LE searching on "their mountain". One of them was actually complaining about it and asking if LE is going to pay for any damage to their dirt and grass seed because LE is leaving tracks in their grass. Ok...get real!! They are searching for two abducted and murdered little girls. That is more important than their dirt and grass. Ugh

Is there a link anywhere in any of these threads to a newspaper article of Michael's mother's death? It has been totally chaotic here where the investigation and search is happening. Virginia State Police helicopter was flying low over our house yesterday and across the mountain to get a better look at the terrain, my phone has been ringing off the hook, reporters calling and sending messages to me on Facebook. We've been told they brought in a crew from Radford to do ground scanning and that the Body Farm in Tennessee is on stand-by.
Welch's mother was killed in a car accident caused by his father who had been driving drunk, Hawn said. Welsh was in the car at the time, she added.

After a time in foster care, Welsh went to live with his father, stepmother and Hawn in Hyattsville, Md. He was about 11 or 12.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ryland-sisters-delaware-sex-offender/5601455/

I checked it out. They are not too happy about LE searching on "their mountain". One of them was actually complaining about it and asking if LE is going to pay for any damage to their dirt and grass seed because LE is leaving tracks in their grass. Ok...get real!! They are searching for two abducted and murdered little girls. That is more important than their dirt and grass. Ugh

I know, right!? I read all the comments and 99% of them showed no compassion about the case.

The Search...

Whatever else this search turns up, it is obvious just from the fact that the search is taking place, that MCP must have some compelling information which connects the area with the case. They could not just go out and start such a search without a Legal Search Warrant, and to obtain one, investigators must have shown probable cause.

This is not the first time that a search of property has been conducted in this case, however. In the past there have been other searches:

- In March 1975, police searched the Kensington area, particularly the woods and path area, but also private property.
- In May 1975, there was a search conducted about 8 miles north west of Wheaton Plaza in a wooded area off Norbeck Road where the Granby Woods housing development was being built.
- On 1 April 1982, a search of Raymond Mileski's former house and lot in Suitland, MD was conducted.
- There may have been others as well.

Each of those searches was done because of information which MCP believed at the time to be credible.

The Search...

Whatever else this search turns up, it is obvious just from the fact that the search is taking place, that MCP must have some compelling information which connects the area with the case. They could not just go out and start such a search without a Legal Search Warrant, and to obtain one, investigators must have shown probable cause.

This is not the first time that a search of property has been conducted in this case, however. In the past there have been other searches:

- In March 1975, police searched the Kensington area, particularly the woods and path area, but also private property.
- In May 1975, there was a search conducted about 8 miles north west of Wheaton Plaza in a wooded area off Norbeck Road where the Granby Woods housing development was being built.
- On 1 April 1982, a search of Raymond Mileski's former house and lot in Suitland, MD was conducted.
- There may have been others as well.

Each of those searches was done because of information which MCP believed at the time to be credible.

But I think it's much different this time. LE is not only searching,they are saying that they know who is responsible and they are saying that includes Welch and family members. They are saying that they already know a lot about what happened. This is nothing like digging in Mileski's yard. They are making it very clear that they are coming for Welch and the family members who helped him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I think it's much different this time. LE is not only searching,they are saying that they know who is responsible and they are saying that includes Welch and family members. They are saying that they already know a lot about what happened. This is nothing like digging in Mileski's yard. They are making it very clear that they are coming for Welch and the family members who helped him.

This search is, of course, on a much larger scale. But there are a lot of very similar elements between the Mileski and Welch searches.

First, both searches centered around incarcerated criminals who claimed to others that they had "information" about the Lyon Sisters.

Both stories seem to involve more than one perpetrator.

Both Mileski and Welch (in their stories) would seem to be minor players, rather than the mastermind behind the girls' disappearance.

It is entirely possible that both Mileski and Welch were referring to the same persons or incidents in their stories. Remember that Mileski claimed to have gotten his information from someone "in the pen" and both were in the Maryland prison system - Mileski for life after 1977, and Welch for a period of time as well. Neither ever claimed to have been directly involved in the girls' disappearance, although other people believed that each was.

I realize that you may believe Welch to be the main abductor of the girls and that others may have "helped him". You are certainly entitled to your conclusion, and ultimately you could be correct, but that is NOT what LE is currently saying.

They are continuing to refer to Welch as a "person of interest" and are saying that they "are closing in on people who they believe are responsible for the disappearance of two Maryland sisters in 1975." Those people might or might not include Welch. Or it may be that Welch was the one who was "helping" others who were responsible.

As I stated in my earlier post, LE obviously must have some compelling information for a probable cause search of this size.

This search is, of course, on a much larger scale. But there are a lot of very similar elements between the Mileski and Welch searches.

First, both searches centered around incarcerated criminals who claimed to others that they had "information" about the Lyon Sisters.

Both stories seem to involve more than one perpetrator.

Both Mileski and Welch (in their stories) would seem to be minor players, rather than the mastermind behind the girls' disappearance.

It is entirely possible that both Mileski and Welch were referring to the same persons or incidents in their stories. Remember that Mileski claimed to have gotten his information from someone "in the pen" and both were in the Maryland prison system - Mileski for life after 1977, and Welch for a period of time as well. Neither ever claimed to have been directly involved in the girls' disappearance, although other people believed that each was.

I realize that you may believe Welch to be the main abductor of the girls and that others may have "helped him". You are certainly entitled to your conclusion, and ultimately you could be correct, but that is NOT what LE is currently saying.

They are continuing to refer to Welch as a "person of interest" and are saying that they "are closing in on people who they believe are responsible for the disappearance of two Maryland sisters in 1975." Those people might or might include Welch. t no Or it may be that Welch was the one who was "helping" others who were responsible.

As I stated in my earlier post, LE obviously must have some compelling information for a probable cause search of this size.

"We are looking to recover evidence that will ultimately hold those that harmed those girls responsible in a court of law. That includes Lloyd Welch and family members," said Capt. Darren Francke, director of the Montgomery County (Md.) Police Department's major crimes division.

LE isn't saying it may or may not include Welch...They are saying...."That includes Welch". LE is saying that they know who is responsible.

"We know who was responsible. Each and every one of them. We are all committed to working as long and as hard as necessary," Krantz said.

They are saying that Welch and family are involved.

That includes Lloyd Welch and family members," said Capt. Darren Francke, director of the Montgomery County (Md.) Police Department's major crimes division.

Are they the only ones being looked at? I don't know. LE hasn't said but they haven't mentioned anyone but Welch and family as of today.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/lyn...n-taking-place-on-taylors-mountain-r/28083490

What story did Welch tell?

Hi, does this cemetery have a name? I researched Elizabeth Welch Parker. She was Lloyd Welch's Aunt who owned the property located at 3417 Taylor Mountain Road, Thaxton, VA. According to her obituary, she passed away on 9/21/2006 and was buried in the Parker Family Cemetery. Is this the cemetery they are searching? Is this located in the woods behind the property? Obituary also said she had three sisters and two brothers (Tommy and Richard). One of her brothers must be the father of the person of interest, Lloyd Welch (aka Michael Welch). However, I thought his real name was Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. (?) She also had two sons (Frank & Henry Parker) and one daughter. I looked up Parker Family Cemetery on Findagrave.com, but I don't see where it says how many people have been interned there or how many unmarked graves there are(?)

Hi, does this cemetery have a name? I researched Elizabeth Welch Parker. She was Lloyd Welch's Aunt who owned the property located at 3417 Taylor Mountain Road, Thaxton, VA. According to her obituary, she passed away on 9/21/2006 and was buried in the Parker Family Cemetery. Is this the cemetery they are searching? Is this located in the woods behind the property? Obituary also said she had three sisters and two brothers (Tommy and Richard). One of her brothers must be the father of the person of interest, Lloyd Welch (aka Michael Welch). However, I thought his real name was Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. (?) She also had two sons (Frank & Henry Parker) and one daughter. I looked up Parker Family Cemetery on Findagrave.com, but I don't see where it says how many people have been interned there or how many unmarked graves there are(?)

"What story did Welch tell?"

He contacted MCP on 1 April 1975. MCP has had his "story", his name and address in their files for 39 years. If MCP followed up on his phone call at the time, perhaps they have even more information from him.

Welch also spoke to his niece and told her something to indicate that he was at Wheaton Plaza the day the Lyon sisters went missing. He also told his mother that he intended to call in a tip to Montgomery County Police regarding the Lyon Sisters. This would imply that he at least knew something. Perhaps he did tell his mother and niece more than MCP has released in their press conferences.

Who knows what other things he may have said to others? But he has been adamant (recently) about not having anything to do with the case.

Both Welch and Mileski came to the attention of investigators BECAUSE each came forward with stories or alleged information about the Lyon case and BECAUSE they told stories to others who, in turn, contacted police.

Police have made a number of allegations about Welch but they have yet to present any evidence or information which would prove that he in fact abducted the Lyon Sisters. In fact, they have yet to prove that he was actually at Wheaton Plaza that day (the LHM sketch is NOT proof).

Hopefully they will be able to find the evidence they need to prove the case in a court of law. But until then Welch (evil or crazy as he may be) must by our legal system, be presumed innocent of the crime.

"What story did Welch tell?"

He contacted MCP on 1 April 1975. MCP has had his "story", his name and address in their files for 39 years. If MCP followed up on his phone call at the time, perhaps they have even more information from him.

Welch also spoke to his niece and told her something to indicate that he was at Wheaton Plaza the day the Lyon sisters went missing. He also told his mother that he intended to call in a tip to Montgomery County Police regarding the Lyon Sisters. This would imply that he at least knew something. Perhaps he did tell his mother and niece more than MCP has released in their press conferences.

Who knows what other things he may have said to others? But he has been adamant (recently) about not having anything to do with the case.

Both Welch and Mileski came to the attention of investigators BECAUSE each came forward with stories or alleged information about the Lyon case and BECAUSE they told stories to others who, in turn, contacted police.

Police have made a number of allegations about Welch but they have yet to present any evidence or information which would prove that he in fact abducted the Lyon Sisters. In fact, they have yet to prove that he was actually at Wheaton Plaza that day (the LHM sketch is NOT proof).

Hopefully they will be able to find the evidence they need to prove the case in a court of law. But until then Welch (evil or crazy as he may be) must by our legal system, be presumed innocent of the crime.

I thought that you were saying that Welch had recently offered info to LE and not what he had said in 1975. Yes, I would agree with you as to our not knowing the full extent of what he told LE. As far as Mileski goes...he wanted to be moved. I'm sure he was willing to say anything to make that happen and anyone who can kill their own family members isn't really trustworthy,IMO.

I don't think it's fair to say that LE has yet to prove that Welch was at the mall that day. They have said that they CAN place him there. Are they lying to everyone about that? Could they get a search warrant to dig up a portion of a mountain and cemetery if they could not in fact prove that what they say is true? I don't think a judge would go for that. Just because they haven't told us,the public,how it is that they can put Welch near the girls on 3/25/1975,that doesn't mean that they don't have proof. It also doesn't mean that they are basing their claims on a sketch. It simply means that they know much more than they are sharing with us.

They are not required to present us with evidence of anything at this point. We aren't the judge signing off on their warrants. As far as Welch saying that he had nothing to do with this...of course he's going to say that. He's locked up for raping his girl friend's 10 yr old daughter. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, see what unfolds and hope the girls are found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther