Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting development. I'll have to take Montgomery County PD's word over the perjuring Patricia Welch in that items WERE taken from the house. What is interesting is that they searched his house about 6 months ago already. So you wonder what it was that they went back to search for this time, that they either missed the first time, or was subsequently brought into the house after the first search. Also, is it for evidence SPECIFIC to RAW1 and the Lyon sisters case, or related to Patricia Welch's upcoming perjury trial in June. The other thing to consider is that the scope of the search was constrained in the first search based on what they knew last October, and broadened for the second search by new information that allowed them to go back again. I spoke with a SA in federal LE about this and they said the other thing to consider is that any evidence they obtained in the first search would have needed to be analyzed, and sometimes the state labs can be backed up for many months and more. So, there could have been a delay in analyzing the evidence from the first search, and something they found (or later learned) from the first search provided a broader scope for this search warrant to be executed under.
However, you would think that by now, RAW1 would have cleaned out his whole house of any incriminating evidence.

...one more thing, RAW1 did not move into this house until 1985; ten years after the Lyon sisters went missing. So whatever they are looking for in his current house was brought there by RAW1 ten years after THIS crime. Were they looking for evidence in other subsequent crimes that may be connected to RAW1 and perhaps other relatives?

This is an interesting development. I'll have to take Montgomery County PD's word over the perjuring Patricia Welch in that items WERE taken from the house.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily take MCPD's word for it, since they officially denied the first raid altogether. Fortunately, that raid was witnessed by the Hyattsville Life & Times and confirmed by Hyattsville City Police, which is how we know it happened.

However, I observed this raid and I did see items being put into the evidence van. I couldn't tell due to the distance what they were. It didn't seem like a lot of material, not like what they hauled out of the house the first time.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily take MCPD's word for it, since they officially denied the first raid altogether. Fortunately, that raid was witnessed by the Hyattsville Life & Times and confirmed by Hyattsville City Police, which is how we know it happened.

However, I observed this raid and I did see items being put into the evidence van. I couldn't tell due to the distance what they were. It didn't seem like a lot of material, not like what they hauled out of the house the first time.

When did the MCP deny that they had served a search warrant at the Hyattsville house?

When did the MCP deny that they had served a search warrant at the Hyattsville house?

On Sept. 22, 2014, MCPD Public Information Officer Angela Cruz stated, "We cannot confirm any Montgomery County Police operation in Hyattsville."

It's helpful to understand that every public statement made by LE in this case during the past year has been aimed not at the general public, but at the Welch family. LE suspects a broad clan conspiracy, and they are trying every means at their disposal to crack it. Sometimes that means hinting they know more than they do, sometimes less. Six months ago, they didn't want the whole clan to know through the media that they'd raided Richard Welch's home. No doubt, however, they were monitoring how word of it spread from one family member to another.

Well now, this is very interesting indeed. Seems LE is not going to leave any stones unturned in this. Good. I pray they can provide the Lyons family resolution after all these years. Sounds as if they spent an entire day searching through the basement of Lloyd's former house...... Wonder what they were looking for and what they found.

On Sept. 22, 2014, MCPD Public Information Officer Angela Cruz stated, "We cannot confirm any Montgomery County Police operation in Hyattsville."

It's helpful to understand that every public statement made by LE in this case during the past year has been aimed not at the general public, but at the Welch family. LE suspects a broad clan conspiracy, and they are trying every means at their disposal to crack it. Sometimes that means hinting they know more than they do, sometimes less. Six months ago, they didn't want the whole clan to know through the media that they'd raided Richard Welch's home. No doubt, however, they were monitoring how word of it spread from one family member to another.

I think you may be reading too much into it. Six months ago, not nearly as much evidence has been unearthed, and MCPD may not have known if they were even going to pursue these leads or not. Now, they know. Also, making an official statement to the press is a big enough matter to wait until a statement is agreed upon.

This is not an outright denial of any search related to the Lyon sisters.
It does have the weasel words "we cannot confirm" which could mean anything from the public information office has not be told about the search by the field units to we are not giving information on an ongoing police investigation to the public.

And if one went to the Bill Clinton School of Law, one could debate the meaning of the words "Montgomery County Police operation" in Hyattsville (which is a few miles outside Montgomery County in Prince Georges County)

Bumping for Sheila, Katherine and their family.��

Thanks I wonder what the next stage is the case seems to have slowed down again. Hopefully there is developments behind the scenes. Patricia Welch's hearing is later this month isn't it?

gregjrichards, yes I believe PW's courtdate may be toward the end of this month.

Since I joined here, back in September 2014, I have never seen this forum so quiet, as well as hearing no news from anyone.

I do believe a lot is going on with LE, behind the scenes.

Sometimes this whole case is so surreal, it is like a very long mystery movie that we all are living in.

It is going to be SO RELIEVING, when all of this starts REALLY PLAYING OUT and things become EXPOSED AND UNRAVELED!!

My hunch is that LE has evidence that they are trying to pull together to ensure a conviction. I wonder if there are any jurisdictional issues that make this more difficult. Who is going to claim credit for any potential conviction? Who will prosecute? Who was responsible for following up on the leads? Like it or not, jurisdictional battles are real and I wonder if that could be part of the delay currently and why this case took so long to be broken wide open in the first case. Is this a Montgomery County case, a Bedford County case or an FBI case? Does anyone know how this is being handled or how the jurisdictions are working together?

My hunch is that LE has evidence that they are trying to pull together to ensure a conviction. I wonder if there are any jurisdictional issues that make this more difficult. Who is going to claim credit for any potential conviction? Who will prosecute? Who was responsible for following up on the leads? Like it or not, jurisdictional battles are real and I wonder if that could be part of the delay currently and why this case took so long to be broken wide open in the first case. Is this a Montgomery County case, a Bedford County case or an FBI case? Does anyone know how this is being handled or how the jurisdictions are working together?

BBM Even if the bodies are found in Bedford County, VA and it can be determined they were killed there, the trial will be held in Montgomery Co. MD since that is where they were abducted.

The Bedford Co. VA Sheriff's Office will follow-up on any leads that arise in their area. Likewise, Montgomery Co. MD will follow-up on any leads in their area. It is a joint investigation and from all indications, the two agencies are working well together along with the assistance they are receiving from the FBI. I highly doubt any "turf wars" will arise.

I am not a lawyer and am not sure about it, but I think if a serious crime is committed in two (or more) states, such as kidnapping in one state and the actual murder in another state, BOTH states can legally try them. As a practical matter, usually one state tries them, since if the goal is to get a murderer in prison for life, it does not take two trials and two states. But fairly often, a murder is so disliked (hated) that two states want to try him, and in the following case that made it to the Supreme Court, Alabama was not satisfied that a murder got "only" life in Georgia, so they tried him in Alabama and executed him. I am not sure what would legally happen in the Lyon sisters case if the crimes in Virginia were relatively minor such as disposal of a corpse if the murder happened in MD.

From online:
Dual Sovereignty Doctrine: Background

Although it wasn't the first case to address the dual sovereignty doctrine, a 1985 U.S. Supreme Court decision (Heath v. Alabama) added some clarity. In this case, two men hired by the defendant to murder his wife kidnapped the victim in Alabama, but her body was later found in Georgia. The defendant pleaded guilty in Georgia in exchange for life in prison, but he was then convicted of murder, connected to the kidnapping, and sentenced to death in Alabama.

- See more at: http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...in-different-states.html#sthash.VK7U6xQR.dpuf

Hopefully closure sooner rather than later for the family.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/lyn...or-developments-in-lyon-sisters-case/34142230

Two news conferences are planned this week for “major developments” in the Lyon sisters case.

At noon Wednesday, a news conference will be held in Wheaton, Maryland, for “major developments” in the Lyon sisters cold case investigation, according to the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office. A second news conference will be held in Bedford County at noon Thursday.

Prosecutors and law enforcement from Maryland and Bedford County will discuss developments in the case at both news conferences.

Posted here also so we can discuss together. I suspect results of January dig and possible DNA results are in now 6 months later. Also, any info from the search at Lloyd Sr.'s home. Yes, I said Sr. It was HIS home, he was king of the castle. According to news reports Junior was transient at the time, staying in shelters and wherever else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member