SIDEBAR #24- Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
High Tide / Low Tide!
For 8 years, Michael Marten has been taking photos from different spots of the British coast line, documenting the daily rhythms of the tides. This gave way to a special landscape project. Marten took photos of the same locations 8 and 16 hours apart, and showed the contrast between those images, a work displaying the dynamic nature of the tides and how landscape can be drastically different on a daily basis.

To see the change, click on any of these photos of low tide to see what they look like during high tide! :

http://www.ba-bamail.com/Content.aspx?emailid=5732&memberid=747728#.UzXXSvldVSB

I'm having lunch in my fort: :floorlaugh:

picture.php

And:

picture.php

:floorlaugh:

All I can say is, it looks a h*** of a lot better than what I had for lunch. Not to mention, I don't have your fort. :floorlaugh:

I watched Vinnie on HLN this afternoon and he had a heatrbreaking story about a 21 month old girl:

"Family fights for euthanasia law for terminal patients:

At 19 months old, Natalie Newton was a busy, happy toddler until September, when those busy little feet took her into the family's backyard pool near Corpus Christi. Natty, as the family likes to call her, was revived...
‘Withholding nutrition' was the only option that Texas law allowed.

"We stopped the feeding and starved her to death," he said. Her death took eight days.

"That's just the most cruel, inhumane thing," Newton said. "We euthanize dogs for humanity reasons. We euthanize serial killers, but a 21-month-old baby has to starve for almost nine days?"

Newton says his family has been traumatized by the process and is traveling the state sharing her story in the hope of forcing change for Natty's sake."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It's something horrible to have to go through, but she died a "natural death" and according to what I have learned when I took college courses in gerontology, the person does not suffer.

"the process is quite peaceful, and no evidence exists that they are aware of the process....
Caregivers of dying people and patients themselves have reported that those who are near death are seldom hungry, and if feelings of hunger occur, small amounts of food by mouth are usually all the patient wants. The most common complaint is dry mouth, a condition that can be alleviated by sips of water, ice chips, lubricants for the lips, or other appropriate oral care. On rare occasions, patients may experience twitching or muscle spasms when hydration is withdrawn, but these symptoms can be managed easily with sedatives..
Medical observation has found no indications that patients who have suffered massive brain damage causing permanent unconsciousness experience any pain when artificial nutrition and hydration is stopped.

Reports from conscious dying patients indicate that they increasingly experience a lack of appetite and thirst. In fact, it is common for competent hospice patients and those suffering acute illness to refuse food and water. Dry mouth is the only commonly reported symptom, and it can be managed without resort to tubes.

Animal studies indicate that the body responds to a lack of food by increasing the production of natural pain relievers (endorphins). However, if food is supplied, the body stops producing endorphins and the benefit of this natural pain relief is lost.

Artificial nutrition and hydration is largely a 20th century technology. Historically, coma was nature's way of relieving the suffering of people who were dying. However, the provision of artificial nutrition and hydration may prevent the development of this natural anesthesia in some cases."

http://www.webmd.com/balance/questi...trition-hydration-end-of-life-decision-making

Euthanasia is not the right thing to do in this case, IMO. I did a thesis on euthanasia and I do believe that people have a right to a "good death", but it needs to come from the person who wishes it- by way of living wills and such- not by other people. In the case of the 21 month old, she could not have given that consent, of course, because of her age, but her parents have no right to euthanize their daughter, IMO. The little child is a person and not a pet, and certainly not a serial killer. A "natural death" was the "right" thing to do in this case. Years ago, before there was all the lifesaving things that are done to people these days, this would have been the way she would have died.
(This is all my opinion and I do grieve with the parents for their little girl.)

I agree, YesOrNo, if anything like this passes, it will be a very bad and terrible thing. It's sad and scary at the same time, that people don't educate themselves before they jump on a bandwagon promoting euthanasia. Which, depending on the circumstances, can end up being either murder or suicide. Or, maybe they're just very bad people ? :scared:

High Tide / Low Tide!
For 8 years, Michael Marten has been taking photos from different spots of the British coast line, documenting the daily rhythms of the tides. This gave way to a special landscape project. Marten took photos of the same locations 8 and 16 hours apart, and showed the contrast between those images, a work displaying the dynamic nature of the tides and how landscape can be drastically different on a daily basis.

To see the change, click on any of these photos of low tide to see what they look like during high tide! :

http://www.ba-bamail.com/Content.aspx?emailid=5732&memberid=747728#.UzXXSvldVSB

That is simply awesome.

Hi everyone! :wave:

I made it home! Feeling pretty good - no pain in my hip, just my nerves trying to re-connect!!

BBL!!

I made it home! Feeling pretty good - no pain in my hip, just my nerves trying to re-connect!!

BBL!!

:welcomeback:

I'm glad you feel ok.

:seeya:

BBL!!

---------
:blowkiss::juanettes: Oh Niner I am SOOOOO happy you are home!! now just take it easy and get a lot of rest so you heal right. :loveyou::yessss:

BBL!!

Hallelujah ! Good to see you're doing well, Niner ! :loveyou:

Hey! Everyone get out of my couch fort. :floorlaugh:

I've been bombarded with medical insurance junk mail lately. Guess it's because I'll be 65 this summer. I received my "Welcome to Medicare" booklet and medicare card this week. I can't understand any of it. :scared:
All I know is that they will take $104.90 out of my social security. :eek:hwow:

Bah. :shakehead:

John Denver & George Burns live on TV - I Wish I Was Eighteen Again (1981, RARE) - YouTube

Me, too! But I can toss it into the trash since I am covered by hubby's work policy for a few more years. Thank goodness, because I am in no mood to sort through all the gobblygook.

BBL!!

Welcome back to our WS home!!! :loveyou:

:getwell::rose::rose:

Please if anyone hears from Niner, let us know. Today was her day in surgery. She probably came out of anesthetic asking "whats the verdict?" :lol::laughcry: :rose: :rose:

Close Nore!! LOL! I remember screaming (!!) my leg - what did you do to my leg!!! :floorlaugh: and then I passed out again - this was in recovery! So embrassed....

But actually feeling pretty good - a bit tired - but THANK YOU LORD - my hip does NOT hurt!! Once in awhile the nerves in my thigh will tingle and trying to re-connect - now THAT hurts!! LOL!

YesorNO - on your Social Security - if you don't "need" the money - leave it in until your 66 years old - and you get more - and at 70 you get even more $$. So "think" about that! I had to take mine at 62 - cause I had gotten laid off and Unemployment wasn't that much! I don't have to pay my 104.90 anymore (since the beginning of this year); maybe it's because all we (Huz & I) collect is my S.S. Huz gets his next month; so we will probably lose the "no-share in costs" for Medical!! Medicare takes care of all Hospital (free) and I "would" have to pay 20% of the "other" bill (doctor, surgery, etc.), but Medical picks that up!! That's why I had my surgery now - I don't pay a dime!! :loveyou: Thank God! I would be homeless if I had to!!

Good to be back home!! There's no place like home! And hospital food... :sick: I tried their V-8 - it is NOT V-8!!! I guess they gave me a low-sodium :sick:, so a nurse gave me one from their supply!! And their bagels were like plastic! LOL! I had turkey sandwich with a tomato slice all three lunches! And then I got to pick dinner, but it just wasn't like "home"! The Huz is making my favorite tonite - his Chinese Beef and Green Peppers!! :D He's so good to me! Thank you Lord (again!)

Going to catch up on my other threads! See you back here tomorrow!!

no place like home....

:wave:

I agree, YesOrNo, if anything like this passes, it will be a very bad and terrible thing. It's sad and scary at the same time, that people don't educate themselves before they jump on a bandwagon promoting euthanasia. Which, depending on the circumstances, can end up being either murder or suicide. Or, maybe they're just very bad people ? :scared:

BBM I don't think they are bad people. I'm sure there is a lot of grief there and also guilt since she died in their pool- guilt that they might have done things differently to prevent the drowning of their child. Sometimes, these drowning deaths are hard to prevent, IMO.(I have an aunt-in-law who had her baby girl drown in the tub- she just turned around to get a wash cloth, and her child drowned and couldn't be saved.)
Compound the guilt of the drowning with taking the feeding tube out, and there's more guilt.
There can be a stigma associated with any accidental death of a child. People can be very cruel and blame the parents for - not watching their child more carefully, not having a locked fence (don't know if this is so in this case) around their pool, etc.
I don't think they were as informed as they should have been on the kind of death their daughter would have when they agreed to take out her feeding tube. Now, IMO, they are blaming others for their child's death or at least the way she died. I try not to judge. (I have a lot of guilt in the death of my son that never seems to leave me, no matter how many years pass.)
A terrible situation, all the way around. I pray that these parents find some peace some day and do not try to have other people "rally-round-the-flag" with the euthanasia of little children. Where will it end then- with disabled children being "put-down" like a dog? Too terrible to consider, IMO.

Well- back to my couch fort and talking to myself, again. :floorlaugh:

Well- back to my couch fort and talking to myself, again. :floorlaugh:

We are secretly speaking hamster to make you give it up. Forget that tiny iron gated window, forget the moat, forget those useless teens in armor with ready swords, lol, cracking myself up now... You do not see us, but we are sitting right there, ready to take the fort. Do not fall asleep!:floorlaugh:

Mocca-the-Killer-Hamster-s.jpg

We are secretly speaking hamster to make you give it up. Forget that tiny iron gated window, forget the moat, forget those useless teens in armor with ready swords, lol, cracking myself up now... You do not see us, but we are sitting right there, ready to take the fort. Do not fall asleep!:floorlaugh:

Mocca-the-Killer-Hamster-s.jpg

Ah. But I am a clever hermit and just go to Google translate and found out you are speaking hamster. :floorlaugh:

You are too funny, merc and I enjoy you and your playful nature.
BTW- you look very beautiful as a hamster. :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

You're a cradle robber? You like younger men? As long as you have been married ten years it's yours.

Cradle robber. :baby:
:cheerful:

No- they liked me. :floorlaugh:

We were married too long and much more than 10 years.
But he's not retired yet and still alive????
Guess I'll have to call SS and find out more. All this medicare stuff puts me "in a fog"- you remember "the fog"- and it "scrambles my brain". :floorlaugh:
Thanks.

BBM I don't think they are bad people. I'm sure there is a lot of grief there and also guilt since she died in their pool- guilt that they might have done things differently to prevent the drowning of their child. Sometimes, these drowning deaths are hard to prevent, IMO.(I have an aunt-in-law who had her baby girl drown in the tub- she just turned around to get a wash cloth, and her child drowned and couldn't be saved.)
Compound the guilt of the drowning with taking the feeding tube out, and there's more guilt.
There can be a stigma associated with any accidental death of a child. People can be very cruel and blame the parents for - not watching their child more carefully, not having a locked fence (don't know if this is so in this case) around their pool, etc.
I don't think they were as informed as they should have been on the kind of death their daughter would have when they agreed to take out her feeding tube. Now, IMO, they are blaming others for their child's death or at least the way she died. I try not to judge. (I have a lot of guilt in the death of my son that never seems to leave me, no matter how many years pass.)
A terrible situation, all the way around. I pray that these parents find some peace some day and do not try to have other people "rally-round-the-flag" with the euthanasia of little children. Where will it end then- with disabled children being "put-down" like a dog? Too terrible to consider, IMO.

Oh, not saying they are bad people, just questioning as always. Some are. Some are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny