Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #12

From the same USAToday article linked to above:

"In September, less than six months after the attack, a poll commissioned by The Boston Globe found that 57% of Boston residents favored Tsarnaev's facing life in prison without parole, while only 33% supported death. The opposition, in the city deeply scarred by the bombing, crossed political lines with Democrats overwhelmingly favoring life in prison at 61%-28% and Republicans more narrowly supporting prison over death at 49%-46%.

"It's one thing for the government to be willing to impose the death penalty; it will be a lot harder to find people in Massachusetts to serve on a jury who would vote for the death penalty,'' said Andrew Smith, director of the University of New Hampshire Survey Center, which conducted the poll. "It's not terribly surprising given that it is Massachusetts.''"

It is an interesting article.

A Family Terror: The Tsarnaevs and the Boston Bombing

A decade ago, a Wall Street Journal reporter happened to befriend the Tsarnaevs. The story of his surprise—and the family's—when the sons emerged as suspects in the attack.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304477704579254482254699674

Wow! That's a really interesting article.

I thought it had been reported that the father was an attorney at some point, but according to this article he was a mechanic by trade and a uncle was a successful attorney that sent them money to come to the US.

I'd like to research more about conspiracy theorists. It's something that has always puzzled me and there have been a lot of horrific crimes that have been committed, by those that have these beliefs.

Psychologists suggest that conspiracy theories often serve as a crutch for emotionally needy people, allowing them to feel good about themselves for seeing truth where others don't. They believe the world is being taken over by hidden forces, that an apocalyptic battle is at hand and now is the time for heroes to act.

For an unemployed ex-boxer who spent most of his time in a grubby third-floor walk-up in Cambridge, such theories could have provided purpose, a relief from his troubles. People who escape this frame of mind generally do so with the help of family. But when I saw the Tsarnaevs in Dagestan, it seemed unlikely that they could have helped their son. They, too, were filled with thoughts of conspiracy.

I read this article and wonder if the family came to the US with great dreams, maybe a false or uneducated sense of reality, influenced by what you see in the movies or on tv. A perspective that it is easy to become rich and famous in the US. Maybe when some don't reach that potential or reality sets in, they look at others to blame and become obsessed and consumed with hatred.

We live in a society, where fame, wealth and beauty is glorified over love and happiness. That makes me sad.

To think DT had a chance at a college education at Dartmouth. A college any American student would love the opportunity to attend. Up in smoke just like it had no value whatsoever. It is, indeed, sad. jmo

To think DT had a chance at a college education at Dartmouth. A college any American student would love the opportunity to attend. Up in smoke just like it had no value whatsoever. It is, indeed, sad. jmo
Dzhokhar was attending the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth just as the writer of the article said he had heard he was planning to do.

It has nothing to do with Dartmouth College in New Hampshire.

I thought this was a really interesting article and am very impressed by the quality of the reporting by the author, Alan Cullison. Combined with all the other information I have gathered and read about the family this article (to my satisfaction) compiles it in a nutshell. It all makes sense to me.

My biggest remaining question has to do with the wife Elizabeth. I am in no way satisfied that she doesn't know alot more than we have been led to believe. What was wrong or missing in her life that compelled her to appear to be satisfied with her life with Tamerlan? She basically gave up all her friends to be with Tamerlan and his family. Did she have some sort of Mother Theresa complex?

We may never have all the pieces to the puzzle, but it does continue to interest me.

Just bumping to figure out where this thread is

Very long article with interactive buttons and such

The Fall of the House of Tsarnaev

http://www.bostonglobe.com/Page/Bos...tonGlobe.com/2013/12/15tsarnaev/tsarnaev.html

Slain suspected Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev said he heard voices in his head and believed in the concept of influencing others by way of “majestic mind control,” according to a new report.

Journalists at The Boston Globe published this weekend the result of a five-month investigation into the Tsarnaev family, and their report reveals new, never-before-released information about the 26-year-old Chechen boxer who, along with his younger brother Dzhokhar, is accused of orchestrating a terror attack at last April’s Boston Marathon race which killed three and left hundreds injured.

...A family acquaintance told the Globe that he also believed Tsarnaev was suffering from a form of schizophrenia, which could have been exasperated by his frequent marijuana use and the physical toll of boxing. Tsarnaev’s parents did little to get their son treatment, however, and instead sought assistance for themselves. Anzor Tsarnaev, the boys’ father, reportedly suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder that developed after he fled embattled Chechnya “and often woke up screaming or weeping in the middle of the night." He, along with wife Zubeidat, made visits to a psychiatrist. Their research, the Globe reporters say, “Establishes that the brothers were heirs to a pattern of violence and dysfunction running back several generations.”
http://rt.com/usa/tamerlan-tsarnaev-mind-control-326/

“He [Tamerlan] had told his mother that he felt there were two people living inside of him,” Anna Nikaeva, another family friend, told the Globe. “I told her, ‘You should get that checked out.’ But she just said, ‘No, he’s fine.’"

According to an interview with Tamerlan’s close friend, Don Larking, whom he met at his local mosque, Tamerlan was worried that uncontrollable voices in his head were directing him to do something he didn’t want to do.

“He believed in majestic mind control, which is a way of breaking down a person and creating an alternative personality with which they must coexist,” Larking told the Globe. “You can give a signal, a phrase or a gesture, and bring out the alternate personality and make them do things. Tamerlan thought someone might have done that to him.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...ev-heard-voices-boston-bombing_n_4455717.html

Tsarnaev family associates’ stories to the Globe of how Tamerlan was hearing voices, that the pair were products of an impoverished broken home, with an overbearing father and a mother who pushed Tamerlan to extremist Islam, sound like “a sentencing mitigation argument that might be used either to try and persuade the attorney general not to seek the death penalty for this case or a jury in the sentencing phase not to impose it if there is ultimately a conviction,” Bailey said.

Criminal defense attorney Robert Jubinville said, “It may be some sort of an effort to get the word out and it could be twofold to lay the seeds for the government to reconsider (death) and letting potential jurors see this stuff was going on in the background.”
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...er_tales_disgust_mother_of_marathon_survivors

Another piece critical of the Boston Globe article:
The paper confirmed that the ne’er-do-well clan were hardly “refugees” from tyranny, that nearly all ended up in trouble with the law, and that Dzhokhar was running a thriving business in illegal drugs from his dorm room. Older brother Tamerlan was erratic, possibly involved in the earlier killing of three men in Waltham but Globe reporters wrote that off as “a black hole in his biography.”

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/opinion/editorials/2013/12/editorial_tone_poem_to_terrorists

I think it should enrage the public when these murderers are painted as victims. Many people have witnessed extreme trauma and suffered loss all over the world. Many come from dysfunctional homes. Very few go out and commit mass murders or other horrific brutal crimes.

I think it should enrage the public when these murderers are painted as victims. Many people have witnessed extreme trauma and suffered loss all over the world. Many come from dysfunctional homes. Very few go out and commit mass murders or other horrific brutal crimes.

Exactly! Great post.
It's disgusting really.

I'm a little torn between the two stances. I think we might have a lot to learn to prevent such awful tragedies, but I'm not sure this is the best piece of journalism to do that nor the best time for it. Why not wait until after the holidays at least for the victims sake. :(

I don't know why, but what is sticking out in my mind is that the Tsarnaev had unrealistic expectations when they came to the US and don't even realize how lucky they were to have had such help from relatives, to land where they did, and to get asylum in the first place. It's just the picture I get of mom and dad and that attitude was probably transferred.

I'm a little torn between the two stances. I think we might have a lot to learn to prevent such awful tragedies, but I'm not sure this is the best piece of journalism to do that nor the best time for it. Why not wait until after the holidays at least for the victims sake. :(

I don't know why, but what is sticking out in my mind is that the Tsarnaev had unrealistic expectations when they came to the US and don't even realize how lucky they were to have had such help from relatives, to land where they did, and to get asylum in the first place. It's just the picture I get of mom and dad and that attitude was probably transferred.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to express my thoughts in my post but I will try. I don't want it to be taken the wrong way.

First, I want to say that I do feel it's important to talk about all the dynamics and see what can be learned. Every effort should be put into analyzing ways in which these things can be prevented.

Now on to my vent, frustration or personal struggle that I have been having after reading various threads of unrelated but all horrific crimes......

For centuries all over the world, people have witnessed and lived through many horrific events, either man made or in nature. People have lived through extreme poverty and there never has been a shortage of dysfunction and abuse in the home or elsewhere in society. Despite this, very few actually commit such horrific crimes.

I think genetics play a large role in those that do carry out horrific crimes. Almost exclusively males with a mental defect. If these defects were equated to something physical in nature, it would most certainly be so severe that it would be treated with the utmost priority.

Most people that were given the opportunities the T's were, would be grateful. Instead it appears, they blamed society for their own failures and/or actions. They seem to be filled with hatred and prone to conspiracy type thinking. Conspiracy beliefs IMO, seem to be one way for some to pass blame to other entities for failures in their own lives. i.e., it's easier to blame or create excuses than to accept responsibility. The T's may have thought coming to the US would fix their problems, but all they really did was bring their problems with them. Relocating didn't change anything, because they didn't change their way of thinking and address their issues. No one is "entitled" and can sit idly and expect some outside force to come in and fix everything. This thought process, mental defect, genetic, environmental or a combination of, appears to be the common trait that I have seen in a good majority of these threads of these horrific killers.

Even the youngest T, who had a promising future and appeared to excel in many areas, committed mass murder. It takes a "special" individual to carry out such a horrific act. No abuse, hardship, trauma, actions by individuals, society or government creates these monsters. IMO

Breaking news

US attorney General authorizes govt to seek death penalty ~CNN

Will post link when I find one.

Boston bombing suspect will face death penalty

"After consideration of the relevant facts, the applicable regulations and the submissions made by the defendant's counsel, I have determined that the United States will seek the death penalty in this matter,'' Holder said Thursday. "The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/30/boston-bombing-tsarnaev-death-penalty/5037991/

Best news I've heard all day!

Carr: Eric Holder doesn’t hold back, despite Globe’s take

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...holder_doesn_t_hold_back_despite_globe_s_take

Yes, the Joker may be put down like the rabid dog that he is. What will his sticky-fingered sister-in-law say — you know, the one the Globe rhapsodized over as a “vivacious brunette with inviting eyes.”

And Mr. Holder, don’t forget, his brother was “a stay-at-home dad.” That’s what the Globe said. At the age of 27, he was also a “suspect” in four murders, and possibly three others. That didn’t get quite so much ink as the fact “money was in short supply.”

Maybe because none of them worked.

Carr: Eric Holder doesn’t hold back, despite Globe’s take

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...holder_doesn_t_hold_back_despite_globe_s_take

Yes, the Joker may be put down like the rabid dog that he is. What will his sticky-fingered sister-in-law say — you know, the one the Globe rhapsodized over as a “vivacious brunette with inviting eyes.”

And Mr. Holder, don’t forget, his brother was “a stay-at-home dad.” That’s what the Globe said. At the age of 27, he was also a “suspect” in four murders, and possibly three others. That didn’t get quite so much ink as the fact “money was in short supply.”

Maybe because none of them worked.

I don't think that article is worth much except someone has a gripe against Holder, or is it Liberals. It's not even written well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savethedryads
Back