Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #12

I was looking for information on Kyrgyztan because I didn't remember the Tsarnaevs being associated with that country. Matanov is from there. This is a really good article, explaining it, sort of, imo. This article was early on, I don't recall reading it before. In light of all the upset these days in that part of the world, I feel the need to educate myself a little bit about it all in hopes of at least understanding what is going on.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...lived_in_kyrgyzstan_the_suspected_boston.html

A History of Violence
The Tsarnaev brothers hail from a beautiful corner of the world that has known little beyond war, exile, anger, and grief.

By Philip Shishkin
APRIL 22 2013 12:52 PM

snip

"To the list of characters to emerge from Central Asia onto the American psyche we now must add the Tsarnaev brothers, the sadly nonfictional ethnic Chechens who spent parts of their childhoods in Kyrgyzstan before eventually reaching Boston to set off bombs at the crowded marathon finish line. A rebellious people, long at odds with Russian colonizers, the Chechens were exiled en masse to Central Asia in 1944. The descendants of those exiles formed tight-knit diasporas across the region and watched from afar as their ancestral homeland, still part of the Russian Federation, got bulldozed in a separatist war in the 1990s, to be later rebuilt into a police statelet under Ramzan Kadyrov, a thuggish, Instagram-loving young vassal installed by Moscow."​

I know I have read and linked other similar articles but with the news about Matanov I am inclined to want to review and to know more.

In the Boston Herald video, Ms Bari said she believed Matanov had moved in the first of April to the apartment. I think its possible that he had previously lived elsewhere in the same neighborhood.

In another Boston Herald article it says:

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...incy_cab_driver_charged_with_lying_to_feds_in

"Early the following morning, while Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was still on the lam, Matanov made a call to his cellphone. The call did not connect.

Later that morning, Matanov told an unidentified witness that pictures of the bombers had been released and he knew the bombers. He then made one final call to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s cellphone before heading to Braintree police to tell them he knew the brothers. He provided misleading information to the cops, according to the indictment and later misled federal investigators.

The feds state: “Matanov allegedly then took a series of steps to impede the FBI’s investigation into the extent of his friendship, contact, and communication with the suspected bombers ... In addition to deleting information from his computer, Matanov made a number of false statements to federal investigators.”​

I think its interesting that while he didn't inform the FBI or other LE when he first saw the pictures, he did in fact finally report to LE that he knew them. I had been left with the impression from other reports that the FBI had tracked him down.

I didn't remember then being from Kyrgyztan either, so thanks for the link. Had seen the guy went to police himself...too bad he lied because I doubt he was involved. However, I am suspecting people like him are susceptible to sympathizing... like some of the videos might have expressed and believe he did say at some point that maybe the bombing was justified. One article said Matanov had spent 4 years in Russia (others say '1'). Just thinking some of these people are torn in their sympathies... and wonder if we could do a better job of understanding that? IDK, not sure what I am trying to say exactly. Just, are there any lessons we can learn?

The mystery continues...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-accused-boston-marathon-probe-due-court-23987882
An FBI agent says a man who was a friend of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects sent more than $71,000 to people in six countries, often using false names, from 2010 to 2013.

The agent says the money transfers by the man, Khairullozhon Matanov (hy-ROO'-luh-zhahn MAH'-tuh-nahf), stopped during the time in 2012 when one of the bombing suspects went to Russia.

Wow! Indeed, the mystery does continue. Here is a Boston Fox article on the same hearing:

Tsarnaev friend pleads not guilty to obstructing Marathon investigation

snip

"FBI Agent Tim McElroy said that Matanov, who came to the US in 2010 first on a student visa and later granted political asylum, does not own property or a car in the country. He has leased a cab for employment purposes, McElroy said.

Since being here, Matanov sent more than $71,000 in 114 money transfers outside of the US to six different countries using his own name and aliases, including the name "Ali Hassan." While the bulk of the money was sent to family members, McElroy said, $14,000 was sent to "associates."

Prosecutors seemed to suggest that Matanov may have been sending money overseas on behalf of Tamerlan Tsarnaev before the Marathon bombings. He did not send money overseas while Tamerlan was in Russia, the agent said."

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/25...ing-marathon-probe-due-in-court#ixzz33guUH9BO

How does one manage to send that amount of money 'home'? I wonder if this guy knew Ibragim Todashev? They haven't granted bail to any of those other kids, doesn't make sense to grant his guy bail. I just get the feeling this guy knows a whole lot more about the brothers than any of the college friends.

Uhm, what?

"He was uncomfortable sending all the money in his own name," he said.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-accused-boston-marathon-probe-due-court-23987882

If he was sending it for Tamerlan, where was he getting that kind of money? Either of them, really. Evidently, the guy doesn't want to make bail so he's staying in jail, but I agree with you.

At a detention hearing, Matanov waived his right to seek release on bail....

McElroy also said that federal prosecutors told Matanov's attorney to urge his client to stay away from Boston's July Fourth celebration because "the city was on edge following the marathon bombings." Matanov was also told to stay away from this year's marathon on April 21. Hayden said he complied with the requests.
:nono:
It will be interesting to see if there is any connection to Ibragim.

http://www.masslive.com/news/boston/index.ssf/2014/06/girlfriend_of_dzhokhar_tsarnae.html
BOSTON (AP) — The girlfriend of a friend of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is expected to testify against another friend during his trial on obstruction of justice charges, according to lawyers for the man.

In a court filing Monday, lawyers for Azamat Tazhayakov said Bayan Kumiskali provided evidence under an immunity agreement with the government.

Kumiskali is the girlfriend of Dias Kadyrbayev, who attended the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth with Tsarnaev and Tazhayakov. The three men were friends.

Just posting an article about Dias Kadyrbayev, nothing really new except he claims claims that "he didn't understand his rights before talking with FBI agents" . I was researching his girlfriend above out of curiosity (who appears to post a picture of herself almost daily - maybe neither here nor there). I can't understand why these seemingly rich/comfortable financially kids came to the US and didn't care about their studies and why is he selling pot/drugs? Why are so many in violation of their student visas?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/03/marathon-bombing-hearing-tsarnaev/9904717/

On the stand, he answered questions about his life in the United States and about documents he signed regarding his rights.What surfaced was a picture of Kadyrbayev's life as a partying teenager and small-time drug dealer who drove a BMW, sold marijuana to friends, seldom attended class and paid people to deceive his mother about how he was doing in school. He told FBI agents he planned to smoke pot soon after their questioning was finished.
In redirect examination, he expressed regret for some of his past behavior.

Just posting an article about Dias Kadyrbayev, nothing really new except he claims claims that "he didn't understand his rights before talking with FBI agents" . I was researching his girlfriend above out of curiosity (who appears to post a picture of herself almost daily - maybe neither here nor there). I can't understand why these seemingly rich/comfortable financially kids came to the US and didn't care about their studies and why is he selling pot/drugs? Why are so many in violation of their student visas?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/03/marathon-bombing-hearing-tsarnaev/9904717/

Thanks for the chuckle Time

It reminded me of this admission.

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2004/01/17/i-am-the-explet.php

Can't find the video, but I'll look more later. :seeya:
edit
LiveLeak.com - Im a drug dealer not a bank robber

I think that is voiced over,?

Testimony set for trial of marathon suspect friend
By The Associated Press
Published: July 7, 2014, 6:34 amUpdated: July 7, 2014, 12:33 pm

BOSTON (AP) — Testimony is set to begin this week in the federal trial of a friend of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Azamat Tazhayakov is accused of removing a backpack and other items from Tsarnaev’s dorm room at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth several days after the bombings.

+

Opening statements are scheduled for Monday, followed by testimony from the first witnesses.

Boston Marathon attack suspect boasted of bomb skills to friends: prosecutor
The Raw Story
By Agence France-Presse
Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:37 EDT

"The prime suspect in the Boston Marathon attacks boasted to friends of knowing how to make a bomb and said it would be good to die a “martyr,” a US court heard Monday."

"“The critical thing is what he knew and when he knew it,” assistant US attorney Stephanie Siegmann said in her opening arguments in federal court in Boston.

In March 2013, a month before the attacks, Tsarnaev confided his bomb-making skills during a meal with friends, Siegmann said.

Tsarnaev “shared his views that it was good to die as a martyr and with a smile on your face and you would go straight to heaven,” she told the court.

“And he told you in that conversation that he could build a bomb and that it needed gun powder,” she added, addressing the defendant."

More...

Tsarnaev’s roommate found friends’ visit odd
Said trio spent time in shared dorm room

By Patricia Wen | BOSTON GLOBE STAFF TUESDAY JULY 08, 2014

"An engineering student from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth testified Tuesday that one thing stood out for him in the days after the Boston Marathon bombing, and it had nothing to do with his roommate, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who betrayed no signs of being a guilt-plagued mass killer.

Andrew Dwinells said he found it strange when one of Tsarnaev’s friends approached him on the night of April 18 — hours after the FBI released photos of the bombing suspects — and asked for access to the room that Dwinells shared with Tsarnaev. This friend explained that Tsarnaev was leaving the country and needed some items retrieved.

After Dwinells let him in, this friend began rummaging through Tsarnaev’s things, and appeared to take a bag of marijuana from a desk drawer, Dwinells said, though he did not remember whether anything else was taken. Soon, two other UMass Dartmouth friends of Tsarnaev entered and briefly watched Tsarnaev’s television.

Later, when the trio left, Dwinells decided he should let Tsarnaev know about the odd visit.

“This was abnormal,” Dwinells said Tuesday in federal court in Boston."

More...

With a couple of photos related to the dorm room.

Boston bombing obstruction trial hears from suspect's roommate
Reuters
BOSTON Wed Jul 9, 2014 6:07am EDT

"(Reuters) - The college roommate of accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is due to continue testifying on Wednesday at the trial of a friend charged with obstructing the investigation into the deadly bombing attack.

The roommate, Andrew Dwinells, who has largely avoided the spotlight since the April 15, 2013, attack that killed three people and injured 264, testified on Tuesday that he had not known Tsarnaev before the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth assigned them to be roommates in September 2012.

"We shared a room but we didn’t talk much. We talked about TV or movies, whatever was on, but just small talk," Dwinells said in U.S. District Court in Boston. "We were just acquaintances."

"Tazhayakov's attorneys said their client never touched the laptop or backpack, contending that fellow Kazakh exchange student Dias Kadyrbayev did so."

More...

Blaming it on the other guy is the essence of Tazhayakov's defense but when the Feds want to put you away for 25 years for obstruction of justice and conspiracy I can't say that I blame him. I think the 2 Russians have been overcharged. If they convict Taazhayakov, imagine how much it will cost to imprison him for 25 years when they could just as easily deport him now or after the trials are over. JMO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...elcomes-happy-healthy-baby-daughter-Nora.html

Joy for Boston bombing survivor Jeff Bauman as he welcomes 'happy and healthy' baby daughter Nora
5yvahedu.jpg

My [emoji173]is happy for them!

Wednesday July 16, 2014

Closing arguments set in trial of accused Boston bomber's friend
Chicago Tribune
Tribune wire report
8:58 a.m. CDT, July 16, 2014

BOSTON—
"The trial of the first of three friends of the accused Boston Marathon bomber who prosecutors say removed items from the suspect's dorm room as police were conducting a manhunt is set to wrap up with closing arguments on Wednesday."

"During six days of testimony at Tazhayakov's trial in U.S. District Court in Boston, jurors heard FBI agents testify that Tazhayakov admitted taking the backpack and later watching as a garbage truck hauled away the contents of a dumpster in which it had been dropped.

But they also saw a videotaped deposition of Kadyrbayev's girlfriend, who has not been charged, in which she said she told Kadyrbayev to "get it out" of his apartment in New Bedford, Mass., about 50 miles south of Boston."

"Tazhayakov's attorneys had sought to persuade U.S. District Judge Douglas Woodlock to throw out the statements he made during that interrogation, describing them as involuntary. Woodlock said on Tuesday the statements may have been "improvident" but were admissible."

More...

ALSO

Wednesday July 16, 2014

Jury Begins Deliberating in Trial of Tsarnaev Friend
By Zeninjor Enwemeka
Boston.com Staff
JULY 16, 2014 8:55 AM

"The jury in the trial of Azamat Tazhayakov ... entered deliberations Wednesday after both the prosecution and defense presented their closing arguments."

More...

Thursday July 17, 2014

Jury ends second day of deliberations in trial of accused Boston bomber's friend
BY ELIZABETH BARBER
BOSTON Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:29pm EDT

"(Reuters) - The jury weighing obstruction of justice and conspiracy charges against a friend (Azamat Tazhayakov) of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev adjourned after a second day of deliberations on Thursday."

"U.S. District Judge Douglas Woodlock, noting that one of the jurors had complained of illness, dismissed the jury until Monday."

More...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair
Back