The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

Thanks CK for the reminder about pets. I've already sent donations through the Luthern Fund which I feel gets more actual money to the survivors. But, after watching the ARC's effort on TV today, I do need to send them something too. I am so blessed to have a job that pays me enough to help out a little. I don't mind giving up my non-essentials for a few months. So many of these people had so little, and even that is gone now.

Unfortunately, I think we are going to see more shootings, looting, and uprising within the next few days. This is a war like situation where civilization takes a back seat to people literally doing what is necessary to survive.

mic730 said:
AZ Veteran it does not suprise that a vet would be one of the first to step up and make a donation!
Tks, Mic. I have seen so much human tragedy crap in my life, that a few bucks to maybe help others in trouble is really miniscule in my finances, and in the scheme of life.

It was suggested last night on LKL that a crusie ship may be a good temp. shelter for these displaced victims of katrina. The Astrodome in Houston (GOD BLESS TEXANS and their kind hearts) must only be temporary.
Any ideas on if this cruse ship idea is viable? Before I start sending email to the cruise lines I thought I would see if it is even workable.
Hope it is ok to post this here!

All of my family is from Mississippi and still live there. They are 225 miles inland and will be without water and power for 3-4 weeks. I too donate to the Red Cross, but in addition, I am collecting water, non-perishable foods and batteries to deliver to my home county on Saturday. I have been told that the Red Cross will be working in the areas affected along the coast, so I'm doing what I can to help the ones who are so far inland. I've tried to get help from our local radion stations, but they won't even talk to me. All of us who have families affected by this storm truly appreciate all the help that others are giving. You'll never know how much it means. Thank you!

If any of you folks have loved ones who you cannot locate in the coastal areas, CNN has set up a website to coordinate and try to locate those individuals. Just send names, other personal info, pictures, contact phone#s, etc to:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hurricanes/feedback/index.html

Massive Navy, Army, and Air Force equipment and personnel are being staged and deployed from Norfolk, Ft.Worth, and other locations. They are awaiting a "go ahead" from FEMA. The Navy will have landing ships (troop ships) that can run right into or onto the beach (Normandy style) to transport survivors to offshore warships and hospital ships. 50 rescue helicopters are ready to go from Ft. Worth. Superdome refugees and workers will be bussed from the Superdome to the Houston Astrodome as soon as the logistics are worked out.

And they need blood donations - you can donate blood pretty much anywhere in the USA, and it will be helpful.

Catholic Relief Services is excellent, too. www.catholiccharities.com They have a fund set up for Katrina victims, and the areas hit hardest: New Orleans, Biloxi & Mobile, AL, are very, very Catholic areas.

Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There are already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?

OMG ShowerSinger - what a brilliant idea!!

I say let the news media know.

Making safe hurricane donations
Aug 31, 2005, 1:25 PM

If you would like to make a donation to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, but are worried about scams..we have some tips that may help. If you get a call or e-mail about making a donation, check out the charity first. Some scammers use sound-alike names to fool you. So write down the name then check it by running it through the Better Business Bureau at www.give.org.

Or if you want the find out about the charity's finantial information check out www.guidestar.org or www.charitywatch.org from the American Institute of Philanthropy.

If you do decide to give money -- do so by check and make it out to the charity not the person asking for the donation.

http://kptv.com/global/Story.asp?s=3780557

ShowerSinger said:
Please help me email everyone with this.
Thanks,
Donna in Alabama
What a wonderful idea! We had a base here in calif. that sat empty for 10 years. Complete with new barracks, mess hall, etc. what a waste of taxpayers dollars. The only problem I can see is that Alabama supposedly doesn't have any power, statewide and has also had considerable storm related problems...
Alabama

1)Flooding reached 11 feet in Mobile, matching record set in 1917, according to National Weather Service. Water up to roofs of cars in downtown Mobile and bayou communities. Piers ransacked and grand homes flooded along Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay.

2)Deaths: Two.

3)About 405,000 homes and businesses without power.

4)Major bridge over the Mobile River partially reopened; it was struck by oil drilling platform that floated away from a shipyard.

It is worth exploring further:)

ShowerSinger said:
Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There is already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?
Is this near Gadsden? My father was stationed there just before he went overseas in WWII. I was born in Gadsden. I believe my parents lived off base then.

ShowerSinger said:
Here's an idea:
Why not relocate these victims to a base the military has closed? There is already single-family residences, barracks, even recreation, hospital, jail facilities. I know, as Fort McClellan in Alabama has already been closed, and most properties sit empty. It seems a logical solution, instead of some stadium. These people need some privacy, too.
What do you think?

I think this is a wonderful idea!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is such a good idea. Not like government to consider using what is already on hand, they would rather build something new. Have you passed this along to anyone?

You might hit every major network, the media can get the politicians ear sooner than the average person.

Excellent Idea! I just sent my email out to DC. Maybe someone down there will read it.

englishleigh said:
Catholic Relief Services is excellent, too. www.catholiccharities.com They have a fund set up for Katrina victims, and the areas hit hardest: New Orleans, Biloxi & Mobile, AL, are very, very Catholic areas.
Thanks! I was also going to suggest them, as they are very reputable, and as you said, those areas are very Catholic with lots of churches and such.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back