The TEN letters; Discuss them here

The letters were analyzed and compared to known writings of Jodi and were then determined to have been written by her. So she forged them in an attempt to show TA as a pedophile. I can't believe that she is stupid enough to even try something like this so I can see why the defense team is so anxious to keep them out of court.:blushing:

Only 2 items were submitted to compare with her journals.I think those 2 items are the magazines- there were 10 letters. Also the 2 items were being compared to JA's handwriting, not TA's.

The letters were deemed forgeries. The ruling discussed the possibility they were cut and pasted or photoshopped.

So how did Travis send these letters to Jodi? Snail Mail? How? The girl never had a fixed address for more than a week.

I'm hung up on when she wrote them, too. Pretty tricky in jail, and then passing them out (although under cross she did say she "only passed the magazines". Was she wondering if Martinez was going to hit her with the letters?)

Or, were they written before the murder in preparation for her 'smear' campaign? (which included the recorded sex tape). I think she initially planned to 'bring him down', but something happened whereby that revenge was not enough, and she began to premeditate the murder.

I wish we had a detailed timeline on the letters... I didn't realize there were 10 of them ... :what:

Only 2 items were submitted to compare with her journals.I think those 2 items are the magazines- there were 10 letters. Also the 2 items were being compared to JA's handwriting, not TA's.

The letters were deemed forgeries. The ruling discussed the possibility they were cut and pasted or photoshopped.

I think that was the state's brief that discussed those possibilities. The letters were not "deemed forgeries"--the defense team simply dropped the issue. Jodi was representing herself for a short time, presented the testimony of her expert witness document examiner, then asked for her attorneys to be reappointed, and they immediately agreed that the letters were OUT. IMO that means one of two things: (1) the defense team knew the letters were forgeries and had to withdraw them as evidence for ethical reasons, and/or (2) the defense expert, under cross-examination, did not support Jodi's position about the letters.

Start reading at page 11

Page 11 is the State's brief. The ruling is just one line in a minute entry stating that the motion has been granted. No reasoning is given, because the defense team gave up and agreed to keep the letters out of evidence.

If the defense team dropped the forgeries as evidence, isn't it possible that they could still slip in a reference to them during Jodi's "rehabilitation" testimony when they go back to slandering Travis? Or, couldn't they use Sky Hughes to put the suggestion of them into testimony, since Sky was very temporarily tricked by the defense attorney into thinking the defense team had legitimate documents?

If the defense team dropped the forgeries as evidence, isn't it possible that they could still slip in a reference to them during Jodi's "rehabilitation" testimony when they go back to slandering Travis? Or, couldn't they use Sky Hughes to put the suggestion of them into testimony, since Sky was very temporarily tricked by the defense attorney into thinking the defense team had legitimate documents?

No. They will not mention them.

I don't think so either, what I understand from the minutes is that handwriting analysis was to be done and Jodi was supposed to divulge where the letters came from. This never happened, so the defense dropped them, probably knowing what the outcome would be. They would be stupid to introduce them. As far as I know, they are sealed and we may never see them. Not sure legally if they are sealed that means they cannot be mentioned in court too.

Maybe AZLawyer can tell us what it means for them to be sealed documents.

Page 11 is the State's brief. The ruling is just one line in a minute entry stating that the motion has been granted. No reasoning is given, because the defense team gave up and agreed to keep the letters out of evidence.

Thanks AZ! I thought I understood what I was reading when clearly I didn't. :blushing:

I don't think so either, what I understand from the minutes is that handwriting analysis was to be done and Jodi was supposed to divulge where the letters came from. This never happened, so the defense dropped them, probably knowing what the outcome would be. They would be stupid to introduce them. As far as I know, they are sealed and we may never see them. Not sure legally if they are sealed that means they cannot be mentioned in court too.

Sealed means you can't get a copy from the court clerk.

The reason they can't be mentioned in court is because the state made a motion to prevent them from being mentioned, the defense caved in during the hearing on that motion, and so the motion was granted.

Page 22-23 is the report from the Arizona Department of Public Safety- Scientific Examination Report from the Document Examiner which clearly states that the letters were examined along with 12 samples of known handwriting of JA AND her purple journal, and that the letters in question were in fact determined to have been written by Jodi Arias.

(They are constantly adding documents to the docstoc site so you may have to scroll down a few more pages to find the report if you don't see it on page 22-23)

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/109828551/Jodi-Arias-Court-Documents

page 22-23 (from link below) is the AZ Document Examiners Report which shows that the items were examined and compared to 12 known samplings of JA's handwriting AND her purple journal and determined to have been written by JA. So yes, they were proven to be forgeries made by JA.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/109828551/Jodi-Arias-Court-Documents

The Scientific Examination report is showing that 12 known samples of JA's writing were used to compare to the journal writings. In conclusion it showed the writings all matched.. but... in the journal dtd 4/13/08 - 7/14/08 it showed that on page 30 there is some discernible indented writing that developed, whose source is unknown.

This document is not in relation to the pedophile letters. It is in relation to the authenticity of JA's journals. imo

So if Jodi had written them herself, this would have been AFTER she was incarcerated, correct?

Follow my train of thought here with me...if she wrote them while in jail (why would she have any reason to do it before then), she would have had to pass them through some kind of channels (much like the magazine messages) to get them to someone who could then email them. Am I following this through right? I did read that it was thought her cellmate had a hand in it, so maybe the cellmate did the emailing or the smuggling out?

Just trying to get my facts straight. :)

She wasn't arrested until July 16. Imo she was getting her ducks in a row after the murder as well as before. She prob wrote the letters, made the copies and destroyed the originals. No-one said she was a smart criminal, and her actions prove that. That sex tape was pre-planned by her to blackmail him and after the murder she used it as evidence. She also stole his journals which also have never been found and I bet he had some guilty feelings expressed in that journal about his faith and she used his own words, personalized them in handwritten letters by adding her name as the receiver..It's hard for us normal people to get into the thought process of a psychopath. It's exhausing, my head is scrambled..lol

I just want to put this out there.... what I think happened is this: JA copied pages of Travis' journals into a computer. From there..copy and paste was her friend as she constructed these letters or had someone do it. Once the letters were made and printed out it is very hard to determine if Travis did or did not write these letters because you need originals.

I do not think anyone wrote the forged letters but I do believe the journals were used to construct them. imo

I just want to put this out there.... what I think happened is this: JA copied pages of Travis' journals into a computer. From there..copy and paste was her friend as she constructed these letters or had someone do it. Once the letters were made and printed out it is very hard to determine if Travis did or did not write these letters because you need originals.

I do not think anyone wrote the forged letters but I do believe the journals were used to construct them. imo

He wrote about pedophilia in his journals? I don't believe that at all!!! Jodi made up the entire thing in order to make Travis a less sympathetic murder victim...:furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back