TN TN - Bethany Markowski, 11, Jackson, 4 March 2001

It's possible, but I think it's far more likely that the father murdered Bethany and that the girl spotted with that woman was just a lookalike.

Why :tears:Rhetorical question, but why do people do these things to their own children :(

Bethany Markowski in Jackson TN is still missing.

“Searching for Ghosts” is being called on for another job after Barnett announced over the weekend the topic of the second season: the Bethany Markowski case.

Markowski was 11 years old when she went missing in March of 2001. The report filed by her father, Larry, said she went missing at Old Hickory Mall while he took a nap in his truck. There’s been no trace of Bethany since then, including no footage of her on mall security cameras.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/new...beginning-search-bethany-markowski/858761001/

“Searching for Ghosts” is being called on for another job after Barnett announced over the weekend the topic of the second season: the Bethany Markowski case.

Markowski was 11 years old when she went missing in March of 2001. The report filed by her father, Larry, said she went missing at Old Hickory Mall while he took a nap in his truck. There’s been no trace of Bethany since then, including no footage of her on mall security cameras.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/new...beginning-search-bethany-markowski/858761001/

Thanks JerseyGirl, I would love to see this one solved... for her mother :(

I don't trust Larry not one bit.

I think they need to put the screws to her fsther until he confesses and leads them to her body. That's the only way this case will be solved. In the old days they had rubber hoses on hand for cases like this.

We are now six episodes in on the Searching For Ghosts Podcast that is currently featuring Bethany Markowski. This podcast includes so much incredible detail about this case that I am now more sure than ever that Larry Markowski, Bethany's father, is to blame. He knows exactly where Bethany is. https://www.facebook.com/searchingforghosts/

Missing girl’s father speaks out for first time in 17 years

JACKSON, Tenn. — Chances are if you’ve lived in Jackson for the last several years, you’ve heard of the missing case of Bethany Markowski.
7a7f81de9e407982975b323e430ba8dc.jpg

[...]

Friday, a reporter from Crime Watch Daily interviewed Larry Markowski on camera for the first time since 2001.

“I picked her up on Friday. We went to Arkansas and the whole time we was there we visited and everything else. Then we went to my house in Gleason. Well, she wanted to go to the mall in Jackson to go to Claire’s and the game room, so we go to mall at 1:30 or 2 o’clock. So, I stretched out on the back seat of the van. It was not about 30 minutes later, I went in and I couldn’t find her. I went in the mall. I looked everywhere,” said Markowski.

Mall security cameras show zero evidence that Bethany was ever inside the mall.

“They got a podcast going that says I’m a mean villain of a human being,” said Markowski.

A podcast called “Searching for Ghosts” outlines the events leading up to Bethany’s disappearance.

[...]

The case still remains unsolved. The TBI has not ruled out that Bethany was abducted by a stranger and no charges have been filed against Larry Markowski.

If you have any information, call the TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

http://www.wbbjtv.com/2018/05/18/missing-girls-father-speaks-first-time-17-years/

Bethany’s story has become one that’s well-known to those who’ve been in Jackson since 2001. It’s gained a higher public profile over the last year because of the podcast, Searching for Ghosts, by local musician and podcaster Brandon Barnett, who discussed Bethany’s case in its second season in 2018.

Bethany was on a weekend visit with her father, Larry, a few weeks after her mother left the home they shared in Gleason, carrying Bethany with her to live with her mother, Jonnie’s family in Nashville.

Larry Markowski took Bethany to Arkansas to visit friends early in the weekend and brought her home to Gleason early that Sunday morning on March 4. After seeing family in Weakley County, they came to Jackson, where Larry Markowski said he took a nap in his van at the mall's parking lot while he let his daughter go inside the mall.

He said he couldn’t find her when he woke up, but security footage at the mall never showed Bethany entering the building, leading law enforcement and Carter to suspect Larry Markowski of abducting his own daughter.

Larry Markowski has never been charged with anything related to Bethany’s disappearance. Other than an appearance on the television show True Crime Daily, that highlighted Bethany’s case last year, he’s kept a low public profile. He denied having anything to do with her disappearance.

https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/ne...r-tennessee-missing-childrens-day/3002384002/

Jonnie Carter told Dateline that her daughter Bethany Markowski had “a big heart -- and a big personality, to go with it.” Bethany also had “a little sort of attitude,” her mother said, but she was “very selfless, and thought about people all the time.”

Jonnie would never see Bethany grow to be an adult, or even a teenager. On Sunday, March 4, 2001 the 11-year-old vanished.

More at Bethany Markowski still missing 18 years after disappearing in Tennessee

Just curious. Why would John Skelton be incarcerated for not returning his sons, saying he handed them off to someone for their own protection, and yet Bethany's father, whose own story is just as suspicious, as both men's children disappeared on their watch, not be in the same boat? Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I'm not asking why JS is in jail, I'm asking why isn't Bethany's father not being held to the same stink test.

Bumping as i mentioned Bethany on Nicole Morin's thread.
Bethany Leanne Markowski – The Charley Project
Bethany Leanne Markowski
  • bethany_leanne_markowski_1.jpg
  • bethany_leanne_markowski_2.jpg
  • bethany_leanne_markowski_3.jpg
  • bethany_leanne_markowski_4.jpg
  • bethany_leanne_markowski_5.jpg
  • "Several witnesses saw Bethany in the company of an unidentified Caucasian female shortly after she disappeared. A sketch of the woman is posted with this case summary. She is described as being approximately 42 to 44 years of age, 5'4 to 5'5 and 185 pounds.

Witnesses said that the woman had dark circles under her brown eyes and her blonde hair was clean but frizzy and damaged. She appeared to be unkempt, like she had not bathed, and her shoes were torn and incorrectly tied. The woman may have been suffering from a hangover.

Authorities stated that the unidentified woman attempted to enroll Bethany in a southeastern Tennessee school in April 2001, one month after Bethany was reported missing. The woman was later observed boarding a bus with Bethany. Investigators believe that they may have traveled to Moline, Illinois."

BETHANY LEANNE MARKOWSKI — FBI
  • ''Markowski was last seen wearing a green shirt, blue jeans, and black shoes. At the time of her disappearance, she was missing her baby molars.

Details:
    Bethany Markowski, then 11 years old, was last seen by her father in the parking lot of the Old Hickory Shopping Mall in Jackson, Tennessee, on the afternoon of March 4, 2001. Bethany had gone into the mall alone while her father waited for her in the car. After approximately two hours passed, Bethany's father went into the mall to look for his daughter, but was unable to locate her. Investigative efforts have revealed that Bethany was last seen after a trip to Little Rock, Arkansas.

Submit a Tip:
    If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.''

It's possible, but I think it's far more likely that the father murdered Bethany and that the girl spotted with that woman was just a lookalike.

Agreed. It shouldn't be taken as read that a woman tried to enroll Bethany into a school. I don't see how the authorities could've possibly verified it was her.

There is another case similar to this. I can't remember it exactly, but a dad pulls up to a rest-stop with his daughter, claims she got out and went to the bathroom (or something) and disappeared, although there's no surveillance or witnesses to back him up. And I think the parents might also have been locked in a custody battle.

As far as I can see, the father had means, motive and opportunity. Perhaps he handed Bethany to someone and she's been hidden all this time, but I find it unlikely. She'd be a grown woman by now and there's no reason she wouldn't come forward, unless she's still a prisoner (curious the father made a reference to Jaycee Lee Dugard?) or much likelier in my opinion that he murdered Bethany to spite her mother.

MAR 4, 2021
Mom responsible for Tennessee Missing Children's Day still looking for her daughter 20 years later (wreg.com)
[...]

Her mother, who lives in Nashville, said the last time she talked to her daughter was the morning of March 4, 2001 and said her daughter seemed upset.

“She kept saying ‘Mom, you are going to pick me up at 5 p.m. right?’ I had a restraining order against her father, and that’s why I didn’t pick Bethany up. I didn’t want to break the restraining order. That’s why my sister Lori went. So, Bethany said ‘Will you be there at 5?’ I said I will. She said ‘I love you’, and I said ‘I love you, too’,” said Jonnie Carter.

Carter said her sister and brother-law went to meet her estranged husband, Larry Markowski, in Waverly to pick up Bethany, but the daughter and father never showed up.

Markowski told her he had taken a nap in his car while Bethany went into the Jackson mall, and she never came back out. However, surveillance video showed Bethany never entered the mall that day.

“She was not seen in the parking lot, going into any of entrances, not going into any of the stores of the mall. He was—she was not,” said Carter.

Carter said her husband, who lived in Gleason, at the time was investigated by police but never charged with anything.

“I do know for a fact she was in Gleason. She called me from the home phone number. I know she was in Gleason, because she stopped on the way out to say goodbye to one of her really good friends. After that, I don’t know,” said Carter.

[...]

Carter hasn’t given up hope on finding her daughter and NCMEC’s forensic artists have created an age progression image, to show what Bethany might look like today, at 31 years old.

[...]

If you have any information about Bethany Markowski, you are urged to contact the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) at 1-800-TBI-FIND or the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST.

http://www.find-missing-children.org/Posters/poster87.htm Bethanys missing page with SUSPECT COMPOSITE.

I thought I'd post this case because first and foremost there is a child missing. But for all you "websleuths" out there I thought it might attract your attention because there is a twist.

Bethany, (then 11) went missing from a mall (according to her father) was positively identified by SEVERAL witnesses, 4 months after she went missing. She was with an unidentified woman who tried to enrol her in school under a DIFFERENT NAME. Then Bethany was sighted again with the same woman in a restaurant.

WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports An article detailing the sighting of Bethany with the mystery woman.

I wondered how often this happens and people don't notice? If only the school administrator had been a little quicker or had seen Bethany's photo, she might be home now. Apparently I read that the woman with Bethany acted suspicious when asked for Bethanys papers and said "her dad has them" and that she'd come back. She never did.

This is such an unusual case. Why would someone abduct an 11 year old, only to keep her and enrol her in school? And its so unusual for it to be a woman............

Prayers for Bethany and her family. Please read her story and look at her photo VERY closely. This happened in 2001 and police believe Bethany is still alive. She could go to your children's school! Does anyone who lives in that area have any more info on her?

http://www.ticic.state.tn.us/Missing_Children/miss_child_markowski.htm Heres a slightly different photo of Bethany.

http://www.jacksoncrimestoppers.com/bethany_l_markowski.htm Another photo of this child.
Wow! Some woman tried to enroll her in school! Never heard that! At 11 seems like Bethany would have said something like this woman kidnapped me!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kforbes862
Back