Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

MAR 21, 2024
Fire crews performed a rescue on Thursday night after a man fell from Gay Street onto the embankment above the Cumberland River.

A Nashville Fire Department spokesperson said the man fell from the main road into the bushes on the embankment just after 7 p.m. Crews performed a high angle rescue and launched a boat for safety and to see which method would be easiest to safely retrieve the man from the embankment.

[...]

As much as I wanted to believe there was an alternate explanation for Riley's disappearance, there is just too much that points at him just falling into a river that was 7' higher than when his debit card was found. Likely he stepped over the railing to urinate or vomit again, became disoriented, fell and lost his CC just before he went into the Cumberland. I hope the river returns his body to the family soon.

As much as I wanted to believe there was an alternate explanation for Riley's disappearance, there is just too much that points at him just falling into a river that was 7' higher than when his debit card was found. Likely he stepped over the railing to urinate or vomit again, became disoriented, fell and lost his CC just before he went into the Cumberland. I hope the river returns his body to the family soon.
I agree. I even felt that a foul play scenario offered more hope for his survival. But as you say it is more or less obvious what happened.
He needs to be found and laid to rest. Horrible ending though it is.

MOO, reiterating a point made earlier and well, which is that his family: bio parents, step, extended - are with one voice appealing for resources and attention to this case. It’s impressive to watch. Agree that the river will reveal the truth here and I pray it does so quickly and in least painful course.

Riley Strain’s Stepfather Says Family Are Holding Difficult ‘Conversations’ About Fate of Missing Student: ‘Everybody’s Thinking It’

“I’ve never gone this long without talking to him,” [his mother] said. “He just always wants to make sure that his mama is okay, no matter what. He’s such a great kid.”
IMG_8838.png

And: MOO: if life deals me a hand where I have the misfortune of going missing. I pray I go missing in Nashville, where strangers with rubber gloves put themselves in biological harm’s way to search debris for me, and where LE shows drone footage of searching for me on dams 40 miles away, and where thousands of locals are scrolling their photos for traces of me, and where passersby actively remember worrying about me at 6’7”. Salute to Nashville. I’m in New York City most days and I promise you, that isn’t here.

‘Still hopeful’: Family of Riley Strain reacts to last-known footage

The family now think it is possible that Riley may have been going in the wrong direction from his hotel - Tempo Hotel - possibly because he looked for a map on his cell phone and used directions from the link to the Tempo music business building which was in the opposite direction from the hotel.

The last video that they have shows Riley walking at a fast pace, as he was getting closer to the Tempo music building, thinking he was getting closer to his hotel (Tempo Hotel).

The family and their spokesperson also mentioned that Riley was talking to someone on his phone when the out-of-town couple saw Riley and were concerned about him and asked him if he was okay and talked to him for a minute or two. This couple talked to the family last night, IIRC, about their encounter with Riley.

And: MOO: if life deals me a hand where I have the misfortune of going missing. I pray I go missing in Nashville, where strangers with rubber gloves put themselves in biological harm’s way to search debris for me, and where LE shows drone footage of searching for me on dams 40 miles away, and where thousands of locals are scrolling their photos for traces of me, and where passersby actively remember worrying about me at 6’7”. Salute to Nashville. I’m in New York City most days and I promise you, that isn’t here.
I’m from the NYC area and I have to agree. :(

When i said it didn't used to be so easy to fall in the Cumberland i was reacting to quote x post that said it was. That doesn't mean it's impossible, just that most people don't have this issue. There is no reason to get that close to the river just walking around Nashville, and most people don't.

This being said, he obviously wandered into somewhere it was possible. Because I think that's probably where he is. If they didn't think he was in it, they would not be searching it as much as they are.

Any other place i can think of up to and including the homeless encampment, he would have been found by now one way or another. Someone would have found him, he would have made himself known, something like that.

I wonder who Riley was talking with on the phone when he stopped to talk with the couple? I know he had replied to a texted message from a new girl he had just started seeing saying "Good lops" which in my opinion is supposed to be "Good lots" but it sounds like this was an actual call. We know his Facetime call with his Mom had taken place earlier in the evening. Maybe this was the call to one of his friends to let them know he would meet them back at the hotel? Even though they don't have his phone, could they still see what he was doing on it? Things he may have Googled, places he may have mapped, texted messages, calls, apps he was using etc...?

Honestly, I’ve never seen something like this. His family and the community are so truly invested in finding him, and LE seems to be doing great releasing enough info for people to come forward with good tips and sightings.
I wish he’d be found ok, but by this point the odds are against it.

I wonder who Riley was talking with on the phone when he stopped to talk with the couple? I know he had replied to a texted message from a new girl he had just started seeing saying "Good lops" which in my opinion is supposed to be "Good lots" but it sounds like this was an actual call. We know his Facetime call with his Mom had taken place earlier in the evening. Maybe this was the call to one of his friends to let them know he would meet them back at the hotel? Even though they don't have his phone, could they still see what he was doing on it? Things he may have Googled, places he may have mapped, texted messages, calls, apps he was using etc...?
Yep. Both Apple and Google have a LE platform where you can request all the data available to see if any of it is useful, given you have the proper authorization to do so.

Man rescued from river embankment during search for Riley Strain

So it was a homeless man who fell down the embankment and landed in brush and rocks just above the river's edge. Folks from the Cajun Navy were already in a boat on the river and heard a call for help and went to his rescue. They said he fell about 30 feet down a steep, vertical embankment.

The family said that they think Riley was talking with his fraternity brother(s).

So LE and his family likely have all of this information already then.
I would think so, as I've seen that data retrieved fairly quickly in other cases on here. The Apple information for sure, as they knew that he still had battery power when his phone stopped transmitting. It doesn't look like they have any new location information, which Google could potentially have helped with if he was logged into his account.

Someone made a good point on Twitter though, knowing the general location where he went in doesn't help you very much (I think they have it narrowed down to a couple hundred yards at this point), as you're talking about seconds of difference in regards to where his body ends up.

Riley Strain’s Stepfather Says Family Are Holding Difficult ‘Conversations’ About Fate of Missing Student: ‘Everybody’s Thinking It’

“I’ve never gone this long without talking to him,” [his mother] said. “He just always wants to make sure that his mama is okay, no matter what. He’s such a great kid.”
View attachment 492176

I can only imagine how heartbreaking that is, and how it must feel like a betrayal to Riley to admit it. The sad truth is if he were alive, he’d have shown up by now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back