Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

Lots of fraternities and sororities and other college groups hold their annual events in Nashville as it is a very popular destination and they are heavily recruited to hold their events there. Riley was a member of the university chapter of the national fraternity and his chapter held their annual event in Nashville. Other chapters of the national fraternity from other universities may have also held their events in Nashville and perhaps they all get together at some point, but his fraternity brothers were all from the same chapter and university.
Hopefully, the alumni leaders of those fraternities and sororities will display a bit of common sense about the need for members to take an expensive trip, hours away, in order to get drunk.

JMO

Unless it is proven that an actual crime was committed (i'm not saying there was), i don't really see how anything can be done. Then, all that can be done is to solve that crime.

There, apparently, isn't evidence of a crime. We, the public are not going to see every scrap of video that exists. But, that doesn't mean that the police have not seen it. They're probably not going to talk about it unless it shows an actual crime being committed and, from all indication, they don't have any videos like that. What if he is just walking around in the videos?

And when i say video, to be clear, i mean video. There might be some, somewhere with audio, but probably not. There might be some that's motion sensitive and temporarily follows a person, but probably not much.

So i mean just a video that shows Riley as he comes by the len's view. Imo, probably the bar has cameras on the door. They probably also have some on the bar (at least where the money is). There may be a few more because it's 2024 and cameras aren't that expensive. Jmo based on having noticed cameras in places.

These won't provide a complete narrative of what happened in the bar. For all we know, whatever happened to lead him so off target from where he was supposed to be going, didn't even start to materialize until after he left the bar and has not that much to do with the bar.

<modsnip - off topic>
Also, there are several separate incidents in this case, that aren't necessarily tied together, but people are mistakenly assuming they are:

1. Somehow, he got to a state of, allegedly, intoxication (tox report not yet received, and he certainly fooled that police officer at the end).

2. He got ejected from the bar by himself, the others were not ejected and didn't leave with him

3. He wandered around downtown, away from his hotel, with an unknown destination and purpose, and apparently went into a shrubby place next to the river

4. Somehow he got into the river and drowned.

IMO, the answer to #4 is not dependent on knowing how or why 1, 2 or even 3, happened.

We know he was not followed. It was not one of the bar staff who put him in the river and.drowned him, nor his frat buddies.

So what happened at the bar is completely separate from why he went to the river and why he drowned. It was not inevitible that he would end up that way. That was some kind of action he took, on his own two feet.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's possible that he met someone face to face (not necessarily in Nashville) and that person suggested some place (it might not be a common entertainment venue or at least not one on-theme with "let's go to country music people's bars"). So, this is why he didn't ask the police or other people he met how to get to his hotel

Idk what this could be, but this would explain why the bar isn't as relevant as it would seem. It might also explain why he left alone.

Moo jmo just an idea

I was under the impression that Riley may have unbuckled his belt to relieve himself near the river and sadly fell in ?
Is it possible that a drowning victim may lose part of their clothing due to the current ?

Still am not suspecting any foul play, but I hope his family will have answers just in case of anything untoward occurring.
Most of all I pray they'll find peace, and my utmost condolences for the loss of their son and brother !
Omo.

Earlier i looked up Riley's fraternity (i did put a link). The closest chapter in Tennessee is in Knoxville. There's not one in Nashville. For people who don't know, Knoxville and Nashville are not close together geographically.

Back when i was in a fraternity, i would go over to the house and sometimes find brothers from other chapters there. So, i thought at first maybe he was trying to get to the local chapter, but... Nope.

ETA: jmo i do think he originally started off to go somewhere; i don't know where.

Last edited:
Earlier i looked up Riley's fraternity (i did put a link). The closest chapter in Tennessee is in Knoxville. There's not one in Nashville. For people who don't know, Knoxville and Nashville are not close together geographically.

Back when i was in a fraternity, i would go over to the house and sometimes find brothers from other chapters there. So, i thought at first maybe he was trying to get to the local chapter, but... Nope.

ETA: jmo i do think he originally started off to go somewhere; i don't know where.
You could be right that he had a destination in mind we don't know about. But I honestly think he just got "turned around" when he tried to go to the bar across the street. They didn't let him in, of course, but to go to the hotel from Luke's he should have turned left when he came out. When he was blocked from entering the other bar, he turned left on the street but should have turned right to go to the hotel from there. I think it really is that simple.
MOO

You could be right that he had a destination in mind we don't know about. But I honestly think he just got "turned around" when he tried to go to the bar across the street. They didn't let him in, of course, but to go to the hotel from Luke's he should have turned left when he came out. When he was blocked from entering the other bar, he turned left on the street but should have turned right to go to the hotel from there. I think it really is that simple.
MOO
I mean that's possible, i wasn't there.

I just have a feeling about this, but I am not trying to convince anyone to agree with me. I can't imagine we will ever know, really.

I mean that's possible, i wasn't there.

I just have a feeling about this, but I am not trying to convince anyone to agree with me. I can't imagine we will ever know, really.
I doubt we will know. And I wasn't trying to convince you of my feeling about it either. I would think his phone history might give information that would be useful especially if it appeared, as some have suggested, he got the Tempo Hotel mixed up with another business with "Tempo" in the name. But even if LE/the family has his history, that doesn't mean we'd ever know what he searched for.
MOO

<Snipped for focus>

I have been wondering that lately as well. For the most part, I think that Riley got turned around and was headed the wrong way and kept going because he was so determined to find his way back to his hotel. But it is possible that he had another destination in mind and was headed in that direction. IIRC, his phone is still missing, but even without his phone, is it possible to get information on his texts and/or phone calls from his carrier? I assume that Riley's family is looking into this, I wonder if Nashville LE looked into this as well.

<Snipped for focus>

I have been wondering that lately as well. For the most part, I think that Riley got turned around and was headed the wrong way and kept going because he was so determined to find his way back to his hotel. But it is possible that he had another destination in mind and was headed in that direction. IIRC, his phone is still missing, but even without his phone, is it possible to get information on his texts and/or phone calls from his carrier? I assume that Riley's family is looking into this, I wonder if Nashville LE looked into this as well.

Subpoenas to Apple and his cellphone carrier would be needed to get any of his phone records. His call logs could be obtained from the carrier but text messages would only be available if Riley had synced them to iCloud.

I doubt we will know. And I wasn't trying to convince you of my feeling about it either. I would think his phone history might give information that would be useful especially if it appeared, as some have suggested, he got the Tempo Hotel mixed up with another business with "Tempo" in the name. But even if LE/the family has his history, that doesn't mean we'd ever know what he searched for.
MOO
I understand, i really didn't think you were.

There are other ways to cut through and get back to the hotel without going back onto Broadway.

Eta: i wrote that weird: these are streets i'm talking about.

What about his search records that day or night?
Agree those records are potentially important, especially IF he was headed somewhere besides the hotel OR got bad directions to the hotel because of search confusion over "Tempo."

Early on and in several interviews since, the family spokesperson has said they were able to find out RS's phone wasn't low on battery. How would they know that without having the phone? (& having it in working order) Would the carrier have been able to tell them that?
MOO

What about his search records that day or night?

RIley's browser history on his iPhone would be accessible if he had it turned on in iCloud (Safari browser only) and another Apple device had access to his Apple ID to get the iCloud history from Safari. I believe the other device would also need to have Safari turned on in iCloud. His cell carrier would have records of websites he visited.

Agree those records are potentially important, especially IF he was headed somewhere besides the hotel OR got bad directions to the hotel because of search confusion over "Tempo."

Early on and in several interviews since, the family spokesperson has said they were able to find out RS's phone wasn't low on battery. How would they know that without having the phone? (& having it in working order) Would the carrier have been able to tell them that?
MOO

BBM -

You can remotely check the battery life of an Iphone from another Apple device if Find My is turned on and the phone is logged into it's Apple account. So perhaps Riley had it turned on and granted permission to his mom to see his location.

BBM -

You can remotely check the battery life of an Iphone from another Apple device if Find My is turned on and the phone is logged into it's Apple account. So perhaps Riley had it turned on and granted permission to his mom to see his location.
Thanks! I've never had an Iphone. So if his mom had that permission, what else could she see that might be relevant to what happened?
MOO

I think, if the police have some information from Riley's phone, that in no way pertains to criminal activity it will likely not see the light of day. Because it would just make Riley look bad (potentially, if something like that existed).

Thanks! I've never had an Iphone. So if his mom had that permission, what else could she see that might be relevant to what happened?
MOO

Not much I'm afraid other than the last known location of the iPhone and battery %. If his mom knows Riley's Apple ID password, she could login into his account and see his texts and Safari browsing history (if Riley had turned them on in iCloud) by syncing them to another Apple device.

Tbh, it's hard for me to imagine a college student wanting their mom to read all their texts. I don't care what the texts were about (meaning boring stuff). So, i imagine Riley had all that stuff turned off on his phone, because of general privacy.

It sounds like he face-timed his mom pretty often, so that was probably his way of letting her in on what he was doing.

Also, unless his parents have said differently; he could have even had his own account.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
binkabish
Back