TX TX - Joanna Rogers, 16, Lubbock, 4 May 2004

When kids have been missing as long as Joanna and Jenny have, their lives must be filled with long periods of loss and emptyness- interspersed with quick periods where a body is found, and while waiting to see if it matches their missing person, a period of hope mingled with dread.
The only consolation is that when a body is found, there are often brief periods of media interest as if this, the unidentified remains sparks an interest in about the unsolved disappearances. A very sad system we have here.

Two local missing persons` cases received national attention Friday night.
CNN`s "The Nancy Grace Show" featured the disappearances of Joanna Rogers and Jennifer Wilkerson on her program.

The hour-long show explored the possible connection between these cases and the murder of Summer Baldwin, a Lubbock woman whose body was found stuffed in a suitcase at the Lubbock landfill.
http://www.kamc28.tv/

(This site doesn't allow for direct linking to the articles, but you can go to the main page and look for the headline.

I saw the show and noticed that Nancy was mentioning Amanda Gschwend as one of the unsolved murdered girl cases. I looked it up in the archive of the local newspaper and a man was reported to have been arrested and charged back in May for that murder. I think that there are several more unsolved murders of women in the area but she may not be one of them.

On our local news last night they announced that the Judge in the Rosendo Rodriguez case has issued a gag order against all parties pertaining to info linking him to Joanna's case. All of this came to light after the Nancy Grace show interviews.

Kelly said:
Deputies Find Hand In Yellowhouse Canyon

Lubbock County sheriff`s officials found a human hand in the area of Yellowhouse Canyon where other remains were found last week.
Last Thursday, two passers-by found a human skull off of FM 835 near the Slaton Highway. Then on Friday, sheriff`s officials found what they believe to be the remains from the rest of the body, lying about 10 feet away from where the skull was found.

"We need to know cause of death," says Lubbock County Sheriff David Gutierrez. "We need to know if (this person`s) death was at the scene, or if it was somewhere else. There`s a lot of information that we have not found yet."

Many questions remain unanswered in the case of human remains found in Yellowhouse Canyon last week. But Tuesday, officials got one more clue: a human hand found at the scene.

"We`re always looking and I think they found some additional items from the body, but there is still no conclusion from the autopsy," says Sheriff Gutierrez.

The medical examiner`s office started that autopsy on Saturday. Now, they`re waiting for an anthropologist to help examine the bones. They expect to have preliminary results before the end of the week.

In the meantime, officials are looking at every piece of evidence found at the scene for clues about the victim`s identity.

"There was one piece of clothing that is primarily worn by males, but in this day and age, you never know," says Gutierrez. "Male and females wear sometimes the same clothing."

"The clothing will give a lot of information about whether it`s an adult or child," says Corporal John Gonzalez, with the Texas Department of Public Safety. "Hopefully (that piece of evidence) is still intact."

Something else officials say might help them solve this case is DPS` state-wide Missing Person`s Database. Corporal Gonzalez says aside from looking into the 2004 disappearances of Joanna Rogers and Jennifer Wilkerson, two Lubbock County women missing since 2004, they`re also searching the state`s records for other cases.

"We hold that information and dispurse it out to other agencies so that way, people will be on the lookout," he says.

"I know the investigative division has already pulled up some names that had been reported missing over the last three or four years and are looking at those," says Gutierrez.

The sheriff`s office is treating the area where the bones were found as a crime scene. The area will be secured until the autopsy is complete.
the remains were that of a young man between the ages of 12 and 20, hispanic or african american decent, police agencies are scouring missing persons records now in hopes to identify.

jodieo said:
On our local news last night they announced that the Judge in the Rosendo Rodriguez case has issued a gag order against all parties pertaining to info linking him to Joanna's case. All of this came to light after the Nancy Grace show interviews.

Rosendo Rodriquez's dad is an attorney , so I bet that this case takes a very long time to sort out and that he never confesses to a thing, hurting other girls, or to even knowing Joanna online unless he can be linked physically by some dna evidence.

txsvicki said:
Rosendo Rodriquez's dad is an attorney , so I bet that this case takes a very long time to sort out and that he never confesses to a thing, hurting other girls, or to even knowing Joanna online unless he can be linked physically by some dna evidence.
its going to be hard for him to explain the fact that her email information was on his computer and hers as well, in fact the contact information was stored in the address portion of his computer, so they have at least had online correspondance in some way or another, he can deny it all he wants, but there is only one story to the truth, and he's not telling it.

Skeletal Remains Found in Kent County

Investigators are trying to identify a new set of skeletal remains. Kent County sheriff's deputies made the discovery in the northeast portion of Kent County on Friday. A tip given last Monday led them to the site. The remains are believed to be female and are now in custody of the Lubbock County Medical Examiner's Office. Both Kent County Sheriff's Department and the Texas Rangers are investigating.

There are currently no missing persons cases in Kent County. However there are still two outstanding missing person cases in Lubbock. Both Joanna Rogers and Jennifer Wilkerson have been missing since the summer of 2004. Again, the remains have yet to be identified.

Stay tuned to NewsChannel 11 at kcbd.com for the latest on this developing news story

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=4367924&nav=3w6y

dannyodie said:
its going to be hard for him to explain the fact that her email information was on his computer and hers as well, in fact the contact information was stored in the address portion of his computer, so they have at least had online correspondance in some way or another, he can deny it all he wants, but there is only one story to the truth, and he's not telling it.

I am just waiting to hear if there is any dna link between Rodriquez and the 2 murdered girls who were found around the country road.

Kent County investigators believe the remains do not belong to missing teen Joanna Rogers or Jennifer Wilkerson. The Lubbock Medical Examiner will start the identification process on Tuesday. Investigators expect to know more information this week.

More at link http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=4369324

Geez! Why are there so many dead bodies turing up in Lubbock? Is the crime rate that high or is it a convienient dumping ground? Creeps me out!

The remains were found in Kent County, which is about 75 miles from Lubbock, the local media kind of screwed up in their reporting.

But, to the point, we do have quite a few bodies turning up near here, our crime rate isn't out of the norm, there are alot of open spaces covered by brush that seem to be convenient to dispose of bodies.

The population is around 200,000. In my many years of living here there have been some pretty gruesome and bizarre murders, some unsolved but I don't think that the crime rate is all that bad compared to other towns this size. The missing girls happening at the same time as girls turning up murdered is what I find so disturbing. The fact that bodies are found is encouraging and I don't think that bodies could go undiscovered around here for years and years if just laying out in a field somewhere. Someone will eventually come across them just like happened with the young man near Buffalo Lake.

A Message from Joanna's mother:

"Just to let you know that CBS has contacted me and they plan to profile Joanna's case on "Without a Trace" tonight, and are planning to feature her case on the CBS Early Show on Friday morning to reinforce the exposure she received on Thursday night. Plans are to air the segment between 7:20 and 7:40 am Eastern, Central and Pacific time. I will be available to talk to them also.

Thanks and God Bless,
Kathy"

I knew they always showed one or more posters of the missing on Without a Trace, but just recently learned that they were doing a followup on the Early show. I think it is great that they are doing that, and by the two different time periods- it doubles the exposure as the early show catches the daytime people and Without a Trace catches the night time people.
Kudos to CBS for this.

I cant help but think that Joanna planned on sneaking out that night to meet someone probably a male. At 16 girls can be eager for adventure. I know I left my house thru my bedroom window to meet my boyfriend down the street and I never took any of my personal belongings with me.

I hope LE can figure out the connection between her and Rodriquez. This is a potentialy, good lead. The thing I find puzzling is most girls confide in at least 1 girlfriend and no one has come forward with any solid information. If Joanna was having contact with Rodriquez or any other older male wouldn't she share it with someone? I couldn't wait to tell my best friend about my adventures. I have a strong feeling someone knows something and she is keeping quiet for some strange reason. I hope and pray this case gets solved.

Mother Agonizes Over Missing Teen

NEW YORK, Jan. 20, 2006

(CBS) Joanna Rogers was 16-years-old and had everything to live for. Instead, the active and ambitious high school student is a missing person. And while her parents hold out hope for her safe return, police have reason to fear the worst.

In May 2004, Joanna disappeared from the bedroom of her home in Lubbock, Texas. Her parents were the last to see her and her mother still remembers their final conversation the night before her daughter vanished without a trace.

In an interview withThe Early Show co-anchor Rene Syler, Kathy Rogers recalled Joanna speaking of the advanced placement test she had taken that morning and about plans for her upcoming dance recital.

"We just very briefly went over what our schedule was," Kathy Rogers recalled. "And she said, 'I love you,' and we said 'We love you and good night.' "

Continued at link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/20/earlyshow/main1224633.shtml

Investigators were stumped until last September, when a different case led them to a man named Rosendo Rodriguez. Rodriguez, 25, was charged with the murder of another woman from Lubbock, Summer Baldwin.

Police later found Joanna's name on Rodriguez' computer and his name on hers. Now investigators consider him a key suspect in Joanna's disappearance.

"With the circumstances surrounding Mr. Rodriguez at this point in time, we believe he's a relatively good suspect for the Joanna Rogers disappearance," said Paul Scarborough of the Lubbock County Sheriff's Department.

rainbow said:

Investigators were stumped until last September, when a different case led them to a man named Rosendo Rodriguez. Rodriguez, 25, was charged with the murder of another woman from Lubbock, Summer Baldwin.

Police later found Joanna's name on Rodriguez' computer and his name on hers. Now investigators consider him a key suspect in Joanna's disappearance.

"With the circumstances surrounding Mr. Rodriguez at this point in time, we believe he's a relatively good suspect for the Joanna Rogers disappearance," said Paul Scarborough of the Lubbock County Sheriff's Department.
The judge in Rosendo's trial issued a gag order for all info pertaining to Joanna. I hate that they did this, it only keeps in us the dark for an even longer amount of time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back