TX TX - Joanna Rogers, 16, Lubbock, 4 May 2004

he is 26 according to the news.

KAMC-28 has received information from several source who say that 26-year-old Rosendo Rodriguez III has confessed to investigators of murdering the Lubbock teenager.

On Tuesday afternoon, Rodriguez confessed to investigators and Lubbock County District Attorney Matt Powell that he killed Rogers.

The confession comes out as part of negotiations of a plea deal involving Rodriguez in the murder of 29-year-old Summer Baldwin. Baldwin was found dead, stuffed in a suitcase, at the Lubbock landfill in September 2005. Rodriguez was arrested two days after the discovery at his parents` home in San Antonio.
the rest here

I just don't get it. Why do people do these things? Why do they think they have the right kill someone's child and throw them away like so much garbage? :behindbar

Thank goodness he fessed up but how terrible for her family. I hope if he does have something to do with the other cases that comes out too. and I hope they kind her so her family can give her a proper burial.

How awful to dump someon'es body in a landfill, like they're trash!

I had a feeling it was him, ever since they researched his computer and found his email address on there. I hope she didn't go meet him and then this happens...

i wonder if he's connected to jen wilkinson?

New article. http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=5002891

Now, Rodriguez is allegedly confessing to killing Rogers and putting her body in one suitcase, her clothes in another and dumping the suitcases in different dumpsters.

I feel so sorry for her family. I wonder how Joanna ever met this monster. I also wonder if LE can check for Walmart purchases around the time Joanna dispeared like they did for Summer.

Joanna Rogers' Family Speaks Out About Alleged Murder Confession

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=5002891&nav=3w6y

Rogers Family Seeks Hard Evidence After New Report

The Rogers family tells us they want hard evidence before accepting a confession from an accused murderer. Sources tell Newschannel 11 that Rosendo Rodriguez has confessed to the murder of Joanna Rogers.

She's been missing since May of 2004. Rodriguez is the same man who's charged with capital murder in the death of Summer Baldwin. Baldwin's body was found inside a suitcase at the city landfill last September. Now, Rodriguez is allegedly confessing to killing Rogers and putting her body in one suitcase, her clothes in another and dumping the suitcases in different dumpsters. Wednesday's news comes as the Lubbock district attorney's office is negotiating with Rodriguez.

The reported confession also comes just 13 days after the Rogers family made this plea on NewsChannel 11 in honor of Missing Children's Day. Joanna's parents said on May 25, 2006, "If Joanna is out there, we love her and we miss her. If we could send a message to Joanna, everybody hurts cause she's not here. If you know where she is please tell us."

NewsChannel 11's Jennifer Vogel visited the Roger's home in South Lubbock, and asks them, about their visit with the District Attorney Wednesday morning.

The Rogers did visit the district attorney's office this morning, but they were told, this confession might not be the end of the story of their missing teen. We spoke with Joanna's parents and as expected, they are hurt, angry, confused and even a little relieved.

"We don't know all the details, and we don't want them to be honest with you." Two years after 16-year-old Joanna disappeared from her home, her parents learn she might not ever come back alive. "I've been dealing with that fact for months now, and it's not surprising to me. It's disappointing that it's getting close to be true."

Kathy and Joe Bill Rogers learned back in December that a man named Rosendo Rodriguez, an accused murderer, might be a suspect in their own daughter's disappearance. Rodriguez is charged with the murder of Summer Baldwin. Now, sources say Rosendo confessed to killing Joanna.

"I don't assume he's telling the truth until we have firm evidence... unfortunately, I still feel skepticism. Is he just doing this to save himself?"

The District Attorney says they are negotiating with Rodriguez, but will not comment on the case as it is an ongoing investigation. But whatever news may come, Kathy and Joe Bill stand by their mission to 'Bring Jo Home.' Joe Bill says, "If I could have my daughter back alive, I just want her back however it happens." Kathy says, "We want to bring her back and bring justice to Joanna and Summer."

Of course, Kathy is talking about bringing justice to her daughter Joanna, and Summer, the victim allegedly killed by Rosendo back in September.

Another Lubbock woman is missing. Jennifer Wilkerson was last seen July 13, 2004. Back in March, authorities used cadaver dogs to search for Wilkerson or any evidence on a 160 acre property northwest of Reese Technology Center. A body was not found but evidence found at the scene is still being processed for dna.

There is no known connection to Jennifer Wilkerson as I confirmed with her family.

I totally empathize with this family desiring hard evidence, FACTS, not just accepting this criminal's confession - without evidence, there's the chance of a false confession.

Poor Joanna. She was such a good kid too. It's scary even when we are close to our kids, there are things we don't know. That, unfortunatly is something we can't change.

I will pray for her family, that they get the evidence and that b@$t@rd gets what is coming!!

This breaks my heart. I was holding out hope she'd come home alive.

Please go to www.bringjohome.info and sign the guest book. It's in the update section, just scroll down a few entries.

The mom and dad are being interviewed by Nancy Grace, this year will be their 30th Anniversary and they so much wish Joanna will be there to share it.

They said that the media is being told scads more than they are, and that they hope that actual FACTS will emerge over the next few days.

Nancy Grace is on and mentioned the other murders one month before and one year before the disappearance of Joanna. There has been no mention of these yet being connected and now there is a serial rapist here in town. I agree with Joanna's dad about wanting evidence and I hope that Joanna's remains can somehow still be found if out at the landfill. Someone brought up the subject of whether or not cadaver dogs were used to search the place back at the time of disappearance but I've not been able to find out one way or other. Does Kelly or anyone who has worked with the family know?

Volunteers Say They're Ready To Search City Landfill

Posted: 6/8/06

A search of the Lubbock City Landfill would take a lot of time, and a lot of man power. It would also be an expensive process. Volunteer members of United Response Search and Rescue out of Dallas say they are ready to help. The group has done a lot of research into how a landfill search would work. Director and Co-Founder Dana Ames says she doesn't know if local law enforcement will for sure search the Lubbock landfill, but she says volunteers are ready.

"A landfill search is a very difficult, tedious, time consuming, expensive process. It's one that you don't enter into lightly. It is extremely dangerous for all individuals who would participate in that," said Ames. Ames says searchers would need to wear protective garments that can cost a lot of money. The search group is looking into possible fund raisers, or people who could donate that gear.

While the search centers around Joanna Rogers, Ames says their search group always looks for Jennifer Wilkerson as well. The Lubbock woman disappeared on July 13th of 2004. Ames says when ever they are on a search, or receive a tip, the group treats that information as if it could be used to find both missing girls. Ames says the Wilkerson family's hearts goes out to the Rogers family. "They have mixed emotions as well. Their hearts are absolutely broken for the Rogers. In a way they feel a sense of resolve as well for them, but then that also comes back and instills that further fear that they face every day knowing this could be the same fate for their child," said Ames.

If you have any information on either of these cases that would be helpful to police, call Crime Line at (806) 741-1000.

It's been almost a year since investigators searched the city landfill following the discovery of Summer Baldwin's body. John Cobb at the Lubbock City Landfill tells NewsChannel 11 that after Baldwin was discovered, crews decided to stop dumping in that area. Cobb says it wasn't a legal request; he says they did it because they thought they should.

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=5007786&nav=3w6y

I am quite sure that cadaver dogs have been used on searches.

would a cadaver dog pick anything up from over 60 feet down? The news said the grids are 60 feet deep.

I was mainly wondering if dogs had been used to search the landfill in the first few days after Joanna went missing. If Summer Baldwin was found by a worker, surely dogs trained to search could have found the suitcase. I remember reading a quote by Mrs. Rogers mentioning that she wished dogs had been used sooner but I took it to mean search dogs tracking the scent around the home.

A statement from the family:

"We want to thank everyone who has supported us in our effort to Bring Joanna Home. We, and law enforcement are reasonably certain Rosendo was involved in Joanna's disappearance, however after watching his statement yesterday on video, I don't believe he is telling the truth about the how, where, when and why. That being said, I refuse to give credence to his words by restating them or putting them out there for discussion. So we would just ask people to keep in mind that not everything that comes across the TV and newspaper is necessarily true or verified.

Joe Bill and I sincerely believe that the Sheriff's office and the District Attorney and his team are doing everything possible to follow up on what Rosendo has told them, and more importantly to secure justice for Summer Baldwin and Joanna, and Bring Joanna Home. For now, we are going to step back, keep quiet and allow the DA and Sheriff's office to do their jobs. It may take weeks or even months, but they are committed to bringing closure to us and to this case, and seeing justice done.

We also know the truth about what a vibrant, passionate and loving soul Joanna is. We refuse to allow Rosendo to tarnish or steal those thoughts and memories from us.

Thanks again so much for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.
Love and God Bless,
Kathy and Joe Bill Rogers"

An update from the family:

"Update - Sunday, June 18th, 2006:

There have been no announcements by local law enforcement authorities as to when and if they plan to open the local landfill. This landfill is a regional facility, pulling in refuse from not only the City of Lubbock, but also from many smaller communities in a much larger geographic area. Although the landfill does keep detailed records, including grids of where refuse was buried on any given day, a search is not as easy as it might appear on first thought. Opening a landfill of this size is an extremely complicated matter with significant health and safety hazards, such as methane gas accumulation and the anaerobic bacteria endemic in the buried refuse. A great deal of planning and coordination between agencies needs to be put into place to ensure the safety of those undertaking such a search. Heavy equipment and protective clothing would definitely be required.

For those not familiar with the Lubbock area, temperatures in the daytime in the summer can easily (and often do) reach into the low 100Fs, hot enough to be dangerous for those engaged in outside work in the best of circumstances. Similar searches in other communities in the southwestern USA have taken many weeks, and they have not always been successful. It will take time to work out the logistics, should the authorities decide to move forward with a search. We hope your thoughts and prayers will guide them to the right decisions.

Should plans be announced or a call for search volunteers be made, we will post the information here just as soon as we receive it. You may also wish to visit the United Response Search and Rescue website for additional information.

We regret that we have no additional information to pass along to you at this time. All the parties (law enforcement officials and legal personnel) involved in the prosecution of Mr. Rodriguez for the killing of Summer Baldwin and her unborn child are under a judge's gag order and are not allowed to comment on the case or any related matters. Should they make any public statements regarding Joanna, we will post them here immediately.

Your thoughts and prayers for Joanna and her family are greatly appreciated."

The Lubbock County Sheriff`s Office will dig for the body of missing teen Joanna Rogers. On Thursday, Governor Rick Perry approved a large sum of money to be used in the search for the now 18-year-old`s body. After Lubbock County Sheriff David Gutierrez requested funds to find Rogers` body, Governor Perry approved $100,000 for the dig.

"Based on the investigation and landfill records, we believe we can identify the area that is roughly 100-feet-by-150-feet in area, and 24-feet underground," says Captain Don Carter, with the Lubbock County Sheriff`s Office.

The city-owned landfill is where accused killer Rosendo Rodriguz III says Rogers` body is. It`s also the same place 29-year-old Summer Baldwin`s body was found almost a year ago. Rodriguez has confessed and is charged with her murder.

"Obviously, we do feel that the information that has led us to this point is valid enough to make this attempt and that`s a big step," says Captain Carter.

Carter hopes to start the search next week, a search that certainly spells danger because of methane gases in the compressed debris in the landfill. He says approximately 30 sheriff`s officers will assist in the search, wearing protective gear. There will be no volunteers, but specialized equipment will be used.

"There`s a couple of different phases," explains Carter. "The first phase has to do with moving roughly 5,000 cubic yards of debris. The second (phase) is doing detailed searches of that particular portion of the ground."

http://www.kamc28.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1821

Please lord let them find her. Her poor family, lile all families of the missing, deserve closure.

Boy, this will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I give LE tons of credit for going ahead and getting the money to do this especially as it is dangerous. I hope all of the people searching stay safe and that they find Joanna. Lord, allow a miracle to happen for Joanna's parents.

Joanna will be found at abernathy. at least she will be recovered and taken home to her family and friends. My heart and prayers go out to all that know Jo.
I was brought into this in a way I can not tell anyone, no one would believe it anyway.
Jo will always be a part of my life and I have to thank her for touching me in the way she did, she had faith in me when I had none. She gave me the strength to do what had to be done and put the people in my life that needed to be there.

Jo you will never be forgotten. You are all our children.
This will always be Jo's story not the animal that took her from us all.

I'm here Jo, I'm waiting with u. SOON SWEETHEART SOON.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlop
Back