TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad, hah, i didn't really read any other posts from too far ahead. That was just my opinion on it, do you have any updates on her sister as a plausible suspect? Was she cleared?

a good, newer article on this case. to this day, the family still searches. julie's mother rayanne moseley has liver cancer, and is begging for answers before she leaves this world. Please, pray for all of them
http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-new-leads-missing-trio-fort-worth-story,0,4478815.story

Has LE sent this letter for DNA testing? The real writer's/killer's DNA must be in the National Database because I doubt it was his first or last crime; he must have an arrest record somewhere. Next month will be the anniversary of the girls' disappearances; hard to believe it's been almost 40 years.

I agree! And if I remember right, I do not think they got DNA off the letter. :/ Which is a shame because like you said, if someone took out 3 girls and got away with it, they are likely to do something again.

Bump.

Are there any updates concerning this case? It will soon be 38 years since this mysterious and terrifying tragedy took place.

After looking over the threads (again) concerning this case, several theories have come forth in my mind of possibilities:

1. The details concerning the handwriting from the letter that was sent on December 23, 1974 were written in a hurriedly, scribbled, childlike manner. Could the letter have been written by Julie Ann since she was a child at the age of 9 years?

2. Or perhaps, it really was Rachel who wrote the letter, but with a different hand. Possibly by force with only one hand, other than her writing hand as if she were handcuffed or restrained.

3. I now have the impression that maybe the three girls met someone along the way to the mall, perhaps from the Army/Navy store. Could they have freely divulged their day's journey to the mall and someone followed them there, or perhaps persuaded them to go elsewhere, leading to...

4. The trio never having arrived at mall at all. I read some newspaper articles saying that they were seen at the mall that day, but is this true or were some other youths mistaken for them? I get the impression that Rachel's car never made it there and was driven by someone else, leaving it in the "upper lot" of Sears, hence the mentioning of the car and intention of the mailed letter.

I really hope something may come to pass. Praying for the all families of the missing trio.

This case, along with the Springfield Trio, haunt me terribly.
I have always suspected Rachel's husband, just because of his past relationship with her sister. Something there is fishy.
It is usually someone closest to home, but a stranger abduction is a possibility too. If it was a stranger though, wouldn't they strike again? I mean, if it's someone they knew, it would make sense for them to committ that crime and not many others (besides usualy petty crimes) just because the crime was personal, vs stranger abductions where the perp is a repeat offender, with a motive for sex or killing period.
Are there any other strange crimes similar to this in Texas around this time period? Or states surrounding TX? If it was a stranger random abduction, I think there would be more victims. Someone who gets away with taking three girls would have the courage to do it again, I'm sure.

I have always thought about the possibility of more than one person being involved as well. However, my main theory would be they were taken by someone they knew, trusted, and who knew their plans for the day. I think Rachel could have been the main target of the trio as well.
I really hope this one gets solved!!!

Are there any other strange crimes similar to this in Texas around this time period? Or states surrounding TX? If it was a stranger random abduction, I think there would be more victims. Someone who gets away with taking three girls would have the courage to do it again, I'm sure.

I have always wondered if this case was related to the March 25, 1975 Katherine and Sheila Lyon abductions that took place months after the Forth Worth Trio. They went missing while walking home from a mall in Maryland and have never been found as well. The prime suspect was a man with a tape recorder who was seen talking to them in the mall. A few short hours later, they never returned home.

That could be true-the distance between both cases is very far, but the person(s) who did this could have always traveled.
When crimes like this happen, I always try to look to see other cases. It's difficult sometimes to look into murder cases because there usually is not as much information from cold cases like that, unless it's the Black Dahlia murder.

This is a great possibility too though, if that was the case, the person(s) responsible may have been targeting young girls in groups, which is a little bit unusual. What would the motive be for taking these girls?

Going on that theory, on July 31st, 1974, Cynthia and Jackie Leslie also vanished on their way to a party in Arizona. The party was supposed to be just a walk down the road, it is unknown if they ever even made it to the party.
In 1983 Louisville, KY, 12 year old Ann Gotlib vanished and her last known whereabouts was at the Bashford Manor Mall, where she rode her bike to, which was later found dumped. The suspect was Gregory Lewis Oakley Jr, and authorities say if he was still alive now, he would have been charged with her murder and abduction. From his pic I have seen at this website, he somewhat resembles the suspect composite for the man who took the Lyon Sisters:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gotlib_ann.html

A lot of people may discredit the Lyons sisters being connected to the Forth Worth Trio, but I also remember that authorities think the Lyon Sister abduction is connected to the '76 abduction of Dorothy Scofield-and FL and Maryland aren't the closest together either! (or it could be there are multiple diff. perps who committed these multiple crimes).
But if they are indeed all connected, could it be possible these ppl were involved in a human trafficking business with selling ppl into slavery rings?

In 1983 Louisville, KY, 12 year old Ann Gotlib vanished and her last known whereabouts was at the Bashford Manor Mall, where she rode her bike to, which was later found dumped. The suspect was Gregory Lewis Oakley Jr, and authorities say if he was still alive now, he would have been charged with her murder and abduction. From his pic I have seen at this website, he somewhat resembles the suspect composite for the man who took the Lyon Sisters:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gotlib_ann.html

Thanks for the link and the info about the Gotlib case. Yes, Oakley certainly does look like the Tape Recorder Man sketch from the Lyon case. And he did lurk around shopping malls back in the day. I wonder if he was in the Maryland area at that time and in the Fort Worth area when the missing trio vanished?

I found this interview video of Gregory Oakley Jr. online. It was filmed in 1989 when he was doing time for his crimes. After watching it, he resembles the Tape Recorder Man of the Lyon sisters case even more. I wonder if any witnesses at Wheaton Mall who saw him that day would recognize him? The only thing is, in the reports of the Lyon sisters, it states the TRM was 50-60 years old. If it was Oakley, he would have been only 31 years at the time and the time of the Fort Worth Trio.

I cannot find anything stating the whereabouts of Oakley in the mid 70's. But since he can be accounted for crimes in Kentucky, it's not far from Texas or Maryland. And I wonder if anyone might have seen a man resembling Oakley that December day at Seminary South Shopping Center?

I found this interview video of Gregory Oakley Jr. online. It was filmed in 1989 when he was doing time for his crimes. After watching it, he resembles the Tape Recorder Man of the Lyon sisters case even more. I wonder if any witnesses at Wheaton Mall who saw him that day would recognize him? The only thing is, in the reports of the Lyon sisters, it states the TRM was 50-60 years old. If it was Oakley, he would have been only 31 years at the time and the time of the Fort Worth Trio.

I cannot find anything stating the whereabouts of Oakley in the mid 70's. But since he can be accounted for crimes in Kentucky, it's not far from Texas or Maryland. And I wonder if anyone might have seen a man resembling Oakley that December day at Seminary South Shopping Center?

**I forgot to add Susan Smalley and Stacie Madison as another group abduction that reminds me of the forth worth trio.
I also think he resembles the sketch, very eerily, despite the age difference. I wonder if he has ever been looked at as a suspect in the Lyon SIsters case especially. And who knows-maybe if a witness was shown a pic of him, it would trigger a memory!

**I forgot to add Susan Smalley and Stacie Madison as another group abduction that reminds me of the forth worth trio.
I also think he resembles the sketch, very eerily, despite the age difference. I wonder if he has ever been looked at as a suspect in the Lyon SIsters case especially. And who knows-maybe if a witness was shown a pic of him, it would trigger a memory!

I just checked out the Smalley and Madison cases. Very eerie and sad, indeed. As for Oakley, I first felt compelled to post his info on the Lyon sisters thread, but have not done so yet. I did visit the Missing Trio website and it has been forever since it has been updated. The website itself is now dated. I did listen to the radio show with Rusty, the brother. I have to agree with others that he gave the radio host in the interview info that Rachel is still alive and had reached out to him. His response he gave neither confirmed or denied it, leaving an open door, but the radio host never really picked up on what he was saying.

I also came across an article on the web mentioning the theory that the missing trio case was related to the "Sharon Marshall" case as well.

Very interesting-I had not even considered the Sharon Marshall case being linked to this one-did they mention why they thought that?
And I had also heard that he believes Rachel is alive-Im not sure how I feel about that theory-if she ran off, where are the other two? In hiding as well? I think this is the theory we want to believe.

Very interesting-I had not even considered the Sharon Marshall case being linked to this one-did they mention why they thought that?
And I had also heard that he believes Rachel is alive-Im not sure how I feel about that theory-if she ran off, where are the other two? In hiding as well? I think this is the theory we want to believe.

I guess her abductor, Franklin Delano Floyd, was in Texas in the mid 70's and put him the area when the trio went missing. There were a couple of boards I came across where forum members theorize that Sharon Marshall could have been young Julie. But, I don't buy that because the girl he abducted was much younger than Julie. And the early photo of when she was a little girl proves it. She was way younger than nine years old.

I also don't think Sharon was Julie because I don't see similarities, but it is very frightening that Floyd was in Texas at the time. That def. makes this a factor, and we know he is capable of killing. I'd say that angle may even be more possible then the connection to the Lyon Sisters. I wish some of these theories could 100% be debunked, but that can't happen unless someone comes forward with info or unless we find one of those girls. It's a heart breaking tale, so haunting. It would be great this Christmas for Rockyand the families to have answers and justice for the girls.

38 years ago, on this day,
Julie, Renee, and Rachel went missing.​

stickers_3d8909dfaf1ba5ad17d236a63da5ac38.gif

May the lives they lived never be forgotten.
May their families never give up hope.
May this be the year when the truth shall come to light!

Thinking of you girls tonight<3 Merry Christmas where ever you are, I hope someday you will be found and brought home to hose who love you! Please pray for them tonight<3 PLease read this letter from their families, and have the courage to come forward! http://www.missingtrio.com/TRIO/letter.aspx

As I read about this case and others and how killers travel a lot, I think about how much I hate driving or riding long distances. I can't imagine being that motivated. It's got to be a sickness to work this hard to commit a crime. I'm too freaking lazy to be a criminal.

I've read all the posts in this incredible forum. I have a theory on what may have happened, but will not post it right now as I am at a lack for time. I wonder if there is one piece of information that was overlooked somewhat, which is when Debra stated the note was started with a pen then finished with a pencil. To me, this along with the messy writing, suggest that it was done in a vehicle. A vehicle where the "employee" wouldn't know the pen was about to run out of ink as it was a "work" truck, then had to finish it with a standard issued pencil i'm sure many "security" vehicles would have for notes. It can also be stated a student would also have these items handy most likely. The one question I'd like to be answered is where the girls whereabouts where the night before the disappearing took place... There could've been clues left at the time if there was a stalker following any of them around. To myself anyway, it's hard to believe a highly intelligent killer who plans murders highly efficiently would let a note surrender a pen fading away only to finish with a pencil.... seems way to amateur and unprepared for a sophisticated killer such as Debardeleben. Also, has anyone else noticed the attachment to a hurried styled letter in the similarity to a traffic ticket persay you'd be written by LE. Wasn't the security guard ex LE? pattern or coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000