TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #49

Question to anyone who knows about police style outfit: is it supposed to restrict one's movements?

In is an androgynous form, and when I asked myself, what person does this apparition remind you of?, I was able to describe him pretty well. Not a woman at all, a man in his 40es, short-neck, heavyset but rather muscular. There is one detail, the way this person holds arms - slightly bent in elbows. I have seen this posture often in men after 40, but almost never, in women.
I mentioned this long ago, in this thread.

I know two people that walk extremely similarly to the person in the footage. They were working in the same building. One of them is a highly effeminate male and the other one is a trans woman (transitioned from male to female).

They are both overweight and both walk with feet pointed outward and arms tight to their side.

They are also very similar in height and weight, and I thought they were the same person at first.

Interestingly enough, they are both roughly in their 40s with a short neck.

Anyways, I don't know how tight this person was wearing the elbow pads or if they had shoulder pockets like modern army uniforms.

Very well said.

In addition to this, I would bet quite a large amount that absolutely none of these burglars were decked out head to toe in SWAT gear (with helmet) at 4am.

I would also wager these burglars also did not walk around leisurely.

"Burglars" (actual ones, not murders staging a burglary) would bring SOME kind of loot bag with them, right? Or am I just a crazy person for thinking these logical thoughts?
Someone intent upon robbing the "collections" would attempt to open the safe and take out the bank bags holding the currency and checks (at our church, there would be a separate bag for each weekend service at which collections were gathered). Those bags are what the thief would use to walk out with the cash.

I used to volunteer in our church's collection count (in fact I wrote my parish's procedures and internal controls for the processing and counting of the collections). One of the things I considered unwise was that our parish published the amount of the prior week's collections in the next week's parish bulletin. I thought this a risk because it might invite theft and could potentially endanger those who arrived earliest in the office on Monday morning (as a thief might presume they could access the safe). However, those in favor of publishing it did so for what they considered a valid reason: so that our parish members would be aware of the level of our collections and whether they appeared adequate to fund the parish needs and for the various ministries.

Eventually, my parish did stop publishing the information in the publicly available weekly bulletin (I didn't notice when, but probably when the bulletin started being published online). However, before that change was made, anyone - member or not - who came into our church and grabbed a freely available bulletin would be aware of the typical amount of cash receipts that might be stored in our parish safe each Sunday night. Receipts typically included currency as well as handwritten checks which reflected the bank routing and account numbers of the account holders. Both can be valuable to a thief. A collection of say, $50,000 could be worth even more if a thief used or sold the routing and account information printed on members' checks.

I don't know what they did at Creekside Church, but I wonder if they did something similar.

My own experience as a collection counter and the person who considered the risks associated with that, the awareness that this murder occurred very early on a Monday morning, the disguise to avoid camera-assisted detection of who this person was, and the odd way this person wandered around opening one door after another when no one else was around is why I think it possible this person was there to rob the church of the collections. A person could make a pretty sizable and easy to carry haul.

I assume the person was either a member OR had visited the church before, so was aware the church used cameras for protection, and that was the reason for the disguise. If the church property was used for MB's exercise classes, it was also likely used for other community classes or gatherings, so any person attending any of those could get a sense of the place and the onsite security measures without being a member.

If this person was there to steal the collections, it is possible they did not know where the safe was, just as we don't know. It may have been in the church office, OR it may have been in a locked usher's closet, OR it may have been in a locked office of a clergy member or key administrator. Wandering around opening doors when no one else is expected to be around seems a good way to find out. And a hammer and a pry bar seem like the kind of tools such a person might carry to get into any locked rooms, and ultimately the safe itself.

Someone intent upon robbing the "collections" would attempt to open the safe and take out the bank bags holding the currency and checks (at our church, there would be a separate bag for each weekend service at which collections were gathered). Those bags are what the thief would use to walk out with the cash.

I used to volunteer in our church's collection count (in fact I wrote my parish's procedures and internal controls for the processing and counting of the collections). One of the things I considered unwise was that our parish published the amount of the prior week's collections in the next week's parish bulletin. I thought this a risk because it might invite theft and could potentially endanger those who arrived earliest in the office on Monday morning (as a thief might presume they could access the safe). However, those in favor of publishing it did so for what they considered a valid reason: so that our parish members would be aware of the level of our collections and whether they appeared adequate to fund the parish needs and for the various ministries.

Eventually, my parish did stop publishing the information in the publicly available weekly bulletin (I didn't notice when, but probably when the bulletin started being published online). However, before that change was made, anyone - member or not - who came into our church and grabbed a freely available bulletin would be aware of the typical amount of cash receipts that might be stored in our parish safe each Sunday night. Receipts typically included currency as well as handwritten checks which reflected the bank routing and account numbers of the account holders. Both can be valuable to a thief. A collection of say, $50,000 could be worth even more if a thief used or sold the routing and account information printed on members' checks.

I don't know what they did at Creekside Church, but I wonder if they did something similar.

My own experience as a collection counter and the person who considered the risks associated with that, the awareness that this murder occurred very early on a Monday morning, the disguise to avoid camera-assisted detection of who this person was, and the odd way this person wandered around opening one door after another when no one else was around is why I think it possible this person was there to rob the church of the collections. A person could make a pretty sizable and easy to carry haul.

I assume the person was either a member OR had visited the church before, so was aware the church used cameras for protection, and that was the reason for the disguise. If the church property was used for MB's exercise classes, it was also likely used for other community classes or gatherings, so any person attending any of those could get a sense of the place and the onsite security measures without being a member.

If this person was there to steal the collections, it is possible they did not know where the safe was, just as we don't know. It may have been in the church office, OR it may have been in a locked usher's closet, OR it may have been in a locked office of a clergy member or key administrator. Wandering around opening doors when no one else is expected to be around seems a good way to find out. And a hammer and a pry bar seem like the kind of tools such a person might carry to get into any locked rooms, and ultimately the safe itself.
I cannot get past the fact that someone would deck themselves out with SWAT gear (including helmet) and lazily walk about the church at 4am JUST to snatch a collection plate.

Why wear the over-the-top getup?

Why not just ski mask, all black, bandana, sunglasses, etc.

Why lazily waddle about? Get in and get out if your actually there to rob the place.

Something actually practical.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to dress like that to steal from a church. NONE.

Attached is the glass the perp was breaking in the hallway.

Does this REMOTELY look like a room that would hold a safe???

The entire idea of this person there to be a burglar is just beyond absurd to me.

I don't buy it for a minute either that they were a cosplayer or LARPer. The ENTIRE point of that is to be seen and to emulate someone, or at least pretend like you are doing something. None of those things are happening here. They are not pretending to be a cop, are not emulating anyone, and are certainly not being seen by an audience.

I can't imagine anyone with any amount of sense falling for the idea that this person was a cop, alone, at 4am, in a church decked out in SWAT gear with no police cruiser or lights in sight.

I probably just need to take a break from this case, good grief.

Attachments

• Window.png
    Window.png
    270 KB · Views: 51
Someone breaking into a church with "safecracking" on their mind won't dress in an outfit that is hard to maneuver in and without the exact tools needed to do it there. Many will take the safe with them, so they probably wouldn't be alone, getting into them is just not doable in a short time frame.
SP would have maybe looked in locked/unlocked desks, file cabinets, etc for cash.
Again, the assumption that SP didn't take anything, or didn't want to take anything, is unfounded, LE may very well be holding that information back. We don't know what would have happened had MB not entered the church. He certainly doesn't present as someone looking to go straight to a safe.

I have been following (lurking) this case since day one. I feel the person there was there for a specific reason.....to murder Missy. @Rosydecember I agree wholeheartedly. This case has 49 threads of the same thing over and over discussing why each one of thinks burglary or not. Male or female...I personally do not think this case will ever be solved which is sad for Missy. JMO

Someone breaking into a church with "safecracking" on their mind won't dress in an outfit that is hard to maneuver in and without the exact tools needed to do it there. Many will take the safe with them, so they probably wouldn't be alone, getting into them is just not doable in a short time frame.
SP would have maybe looked in locked/unlocked desks, file cabinets, etc for cash.
Again, the assumption that SP didn't take anything, or didn't want to take anything, is unfounded, LE may very well be holding that information back. We don't know what would have happened had MB not entered the church. He certainly doesn't present as someone looking to go straight to a safe.
I have a hard time imagining ANY reason for wearing that ridiculous getup except to fully disguise appearance and prevent leaving any hair, prints, or DNA. The chosen disguise appears to make it hard to maneuver while simply walking down the hall opening doors and the helmet impedes vision; the perpetrator nearly collided with the top of that dutch door before raising his head to get a better view and realizing that he had only opened the bottom half and still needed to open the top to get through. (I write "his" but we don't know if the perp is male or female.)

The getup and the behavior are truly bizarre. Yet they were successful in disguising the perpetrator's gender and identity and muddying certainty about the perpetrator's primary motive in being there. It is nearly 7 years after that perpetrator entered that church, was captured moving through and vandalizing it on multiple cameras, and brutally murdered MB and still, no one has been charged with that crime.

I pray it is just a matter of time and refinement of investigation technique (identification of DNA from the smallest of particles from swabs of that pry bar or hammer or from MB defensively reaching her fingernails into the narrow open part of helmet or scratching some tiny margin of exposed wrist; tracing of ancestry through some distant relative's voluntary submission of DNA into a genealogy site if the DNA isn't already on file; revelation or discovery of some prior lie told investigators; revelation of some previously unvoiced suspicion that proves to be that one missing piece) that eventually results in identifying and charging the person who brutally murdered MB.

Well as profiler Pat Brown suggests, this guy could be just a security guard wannabe or someone who is/was a security guard who gets a thrill out of breaking and entering to case/check out the church with burglary just a side thing as he wanders around. I think he is wearing gloves.
I think it is really weird that he kills her if that was not the primary intent-disguised- so just knock her down if necessary and run away- why commit a murder ? IMO

I think it is really weird that he kills her if that was not the primary intent-disguised- so just knock her down if necessary and run away- why commit a murder ? IMO

This, and also was not planning to harm anyone but had the foresight to have a quick escape plan to not be seen?

I don't buy it, at all.

This was a precise and well thought out plan.

A lot of people like the Pat Brown analysis, but the moment she tried to use logic by saying the perp had plenty of places to stuff things because "they were a burglar" was just really silly to me and I couldn't take her serious after that.

I wonder how much was planning and how much was pure dumb luck. Sure, he is not able to be ID'd inside on cameras due to the disguise. But he can't disguise his vehicle and the church had cameras OUTSIDE. The thing is the outside system was down. Did he not know those cameras did not work? Or was not knowledgeable of them and just got lucky?

Unfortunately, armed burglars panic and sometimes shoot people when interrupted. That person was not capable of "just knocking her down". That person, in that outfit, was not capable of taking on the victim.
MOO

Unfortunately, armed burglars panic and sometimes shoot people when interrupted. That person was not capable of "just knocking her down". That person, in that outfit, was not capable of taking on the victim.
MOO
possible- just think fleeing would have been easier than committing murder but agree that burglars can be irrational-
Since the person is already dressed in a fake police uniform, imagine if s/he had just said: "Mam, there's been a break in here; this is a crime scene; I need you to leave the building." Some on this board have said that the uniform looks fake and that there is no police car, but personally, in that situation, I would not be evaluating the uniform or knowing whether there might be an unmarked car- I would probably leave first and ask questions later, IMO. You would think that a burglar would dress up in the uniform to act like police if confronted...

possible- just think fleeing would have been easier than committing murder but agree that burglars can be irrational-
Since the person is already dressed in a fake police uniform, imagine if s/he had just said: "Mam, there's been a break in here; this is a crime scene; I need you to leave the building." Some on this board have said that the uniform looks fake and that there is no police car, but personally, in that situation, I would not be evaluating the uniform or knowing whether there might be an unmarked car- I would probably leave first and ask questions later, IMO. You would think that a burglar would dress up in the uniform to act like police if confronted...
I completely agree that the with the point about the uniform at least temporarily ensuring victim or witness cooperation. If someone dressed in a police uniform knocks on my door and wants to come in my house, I am going to ask for proof, but if I am in a public or semi-public place and the uniformed person gives me directions, I would likely follow the instructions. The uniform allows the "officer" to say to a witness "Ma'am, I need you to leave" but would also make a potential victim more likely to comply with directions, at least initially. "Ma'am, there has been a crime; I am going to need you to go through the hall in this direction . . . "

I tend to fall on the targeted side in this discussion, but the use of the fake uniform is so diabolical that it supports many potential interpretations. Although a uniform would be potentially useful to an ordinary burglar by encouraging witness cooperation and escape time if the burglar is interrupted, it would also be an impediment to efficient B&E. Based on security camera footage from my neighborhood, residential and commercial burglars wear hoodies to cover the face and sneakers for mobility. They carry backpacks or steal pillowcases to haul their loot. They want to get in and get out without encountering the residents or employees. For those reasons, the SWAT costume seems an odd choice for an ordinary property criminal.

Also, I'd be curious about the percentage of residential and commercial burglars who carry firearms. (I'm using the term "burglar" colloquially to mean someone who enters a building with the intent to steal; typically statutes distinguish between trespass, burglary, and theft.) In my state, burglary is a higher degree of crime if the criminal is armed with a deadly weapon, and subject to a further sentencing enhancement if the weapon is a firearm. Although we can't assume that burglars employ a rational cost-benefit analysis, property criminals cycle through the system so quickly in my state that I think they have to be aware the state will take the crime more seriously if they are armed.

That principle may not apply nationwide. As best as I can tell from the Texas Penal Code (Title 7, Chapter 30), carrying a weapon doesn't change the degree of the crime of burglary, although the issue of weapons is discussed extensively in the trespass statues. (It's possible Texas may address armed burglary in sentencing instead.)

I viewed the Pat Brown video “Why I Believe the Missy Bevers Case remains Unsolved #MissyBevers” from ~2 years ago and found it good and quite convincing. (The overall theory that it seemed to be a ‘burglary’ in which Ms. Bevers happened upon as I took it.)
One key other point if I understood correctly? Apparently the costumed LARP individual broke a window or door glass to enter the building? If so, were they that aware there was no alarm or other surveillance to be triggered? If the case, seems to suggest someone with inside information on that church?
And that would also be further support of someone with no apparent connection to Ms. Bevers, since it was not her normal church? And thus complicating links to attempt and solve the case. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK
Back