UK UK- Annette Smith, 74, last seen carrying suitcase, poss. entered a navy blue/black estate car w. woman, Stotfold, 11/11/23, *Murder investigation*

An "estate car" is what we in the UK call a station wagon. Goodness only knows why the differing names (or indeed what the etymology is for either name) but they mean the same thing.
They were to take rich people and their luggage to their destination, which was more often than not the station in America, and an estate in the UK.

In any case - seems like a large vehicle for just the one person to utilise. I don't know if that tells us anything about the woman in the car and her lifestyle.

They were to take rich people and their luggage to their destination, which was more often than not the station in America, and an estate in the UK.

In any case - seems like a large vehicle for just the one person to utilise. I don't know if that tells us anything about the woman in the car and her lifestyle.
Sounds so obvious/literal now you've explained it like that!

Estate cars are relatively common here ... to illustrate,: I've just looked out of an upstairs window and out of 7 cars parked on our small urban road, 3 are estates.

They are, interestingly, rarely used by cab drivers (at least, in this town and surrounding villages). Company cars on the other hand are commonly estates, so that the maximum benefit can be had from them should need arise.

All of which explanation is a long winded way of saying that I don't personally think that anything useful can be read about the driver, from it being an estate that she left in.

An "estate car" is what we in the UK call a station wagon. Goodness only knows why the differing names (or indeed what the etymology is for either name) but they mean the same thing.
ahhhhh.,thanks for the clarification.
I HAD forgotten this distinction, and was thinking this was like a small limo service type vehicle.

Estate cars are relatively common here ... to illustrate,: I've just looked out of an upstairs window and out of 7 cars parked on our small urban road, 3 are estates.

They are, interestingly, rarely used by cab drivers (at least, in this town and surrounding villages). Company cars on the other hand are commonly estates, so that the maximum benefit can be had from them should need arise.

All of which explanation is a long winded way of saying that I don't personally think that anything useful can be read about the driver, from it being an estate that she left in.
Fair enough - I don't drive and I live in the sticks! Still local-ish but I don't have the first clue about car ownership hahaha. Thank you for clarifying!

Fair enough - I don't drive and I live in the sticks! Still local-ish but I don't have the first clue about car ownership hahaha. Thank you for clarifying!
I don't drive or own a car either hahaha

I think the local car manufacturing history in this area makes car ownership very common in general though, even though the public transport links are pretty good.

Right under our noses haha! I believe our friends in AUS/NZ just call them 'wagons'.

Here's hoping we find out if this was a personal vehicle or a taxi-ing service.
We also call them station wagons, but that is often abbreviated to just wagon. If you say station wagon, everyone would know what you meant here.

A man has been arrested in connection with the disappearance of 74-year-old Annette Smith.

Police launched an investigation, after the disappearance of Annette, from West Wing, Fairfield Hall, near Stotfold, who was last seen in November 2023.

A man in his 40s was arrested today (Tuesday) on suspicion of murder and is currently in police custody for questioning.

Detective Chief Inspector Katie Dounias, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: “We are still very much in the midst of this complex investigation and interested in any information which could help us piece together exactly what happened to Annette."

Information or footage that could help the police investigation can be submitted on the Major Incident Portal by visiting Public Portal

Alternatively, you can call 101 and ask to speak to the Major Crime Unit quoting Operation Broome.

If you wish to provide information anonymously you can do so by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visiting https://orlo.uk/NWqP9

There must be additional info, judging from this arrest, that hasn't been released to the public. This is an unexpected and welcome development based on the details available to us.

I agree. Surely police would release more details to give the public more to go on?else it would be a missing person investigation. Whatever intelligence the police have it doesn’t sound good. May be financially motivated. Older woman living alone. Bless her.

So perhaps the police only needed a little assistance from the public to connect the dots.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back