UK - Chris Kaba 21, shot dead by armed officers, now a murder inquiry, London.

My feeling is we haven't heard many facts yet. I appreciate the case is sub judice, but I await the trial to hear why the CPS made a charging decision.
I await it too. There is a significant part of me that hopes there is actually a case here to justify the charge, for the sake of my own sanity and that our justice system actually sticks to its' own core principles.

If it turns out that the case is as frivolous as i fear I will be furious! I'm absolutely terrified that this charging decision has ensured that there is now no possible sane outcome to this situation and that the sort of scenes we saw in Minneapolis and other major cities in the United States after the George Floyd incident are now inevitable in the city I live and work in.

At the Old Bailey the Recorder of London Mark Lucraft KC decided the officer's name could be made public, along with his date of birth, on 30 January 2024.
Well he is going to be doxxed in about 5 minutes. I feel uneasy about this decision.

It feels obscene to hope that there is something seriously in question about how Kaba died that warrants this charge and the exposure of this officers identity.

Yet if there isn't, it says something really horrendous about how police can be expected to be treated if doing their job according to their training results in some political heat.

This trial has now started at the Old Bailey. No news articles about it though - just court listings:
Court 16 - sitting at 10:00 am

HIS HONOUR JUDGE SIMON MAYO KC

SITTING AT 10:00 am

T20227383ABDI Hamza01MP0225622NLINYCPS
BAMGBOYE Connel01MP0225622
BELL Shemiah01MP0225622
GLASGOW Simeon01MP0225622

DTA GLASGOW, DEFENDANTS NOT REQUIRED BAMGBOYE, ABDI, BELL, PARTIES IN PERSON, JOINED TO, Order made under Contempt of Court Act 1981

T20227462POTTINGER Marcus01MP5032222LONNMCPS

DEFENDANT NOT REQUIRED, PARTIES IN PERSON, JOINED TO, Order made under Contempt of Court Act 1981

T20237028TAGOE Carl01MP5012022CLONMCPS

DEFENDANT NOT REQUIRED, PARTIES IN PERSON, Order made under Contempt of Court Act 1981

Mr Martyn Blake
DOB: 9th March 1983, - 8th March1984.
Met police, Firearms

First Published - 6:30am GMT 8th March 2024
Just making a note to see how long it takes for him to get doxed.

Mr Martyn Blake
DOB: 9th March 1983, - 8th March1984.
Met police, Firearms

First Published - 6:30am GMT 8th March 2024
Just making a note to see how long it takes for him to get doxed.
I wonder if/when they'll lift a contempt of court order from a certain... other trial which concluded recently.

did you say the same when Wayne Couzens was charged with murder?
Was Wayne Couzens on duty, at an incident, carrying out the duties he was trained to carry out by the government at the time he killed Sarah?

Judge Simon Mayo KC tells Mr Khalil he does not consider the three men in the dock at the Old Bailey to have played a "leading role" in the shooting. Judge says the "leading role" was played by the deceased man. (4/10)

That's kind of interesting. I'd have expected them to go for murder under the joint enterprise doctrine. Especially for a gang murder with a fireman in a nightclub. I wonder if the actual shooter being dead and not prosecutable complicated things.

---------------------------------------------
ON A COMPLETELY UNRELATED NOTE.
---------------------------------------------

Any crimes Kaba turned out to have committed are entirely unrelated to the murder case against the Met officer.

It doesn't matter if he was choirboy or a wrongun. Police didn't know Kaba was the one driving and hadn't positively identified him at the stop.

What will matter is what that officer knew at the time. What the firearms marker on the car actually said, what other intelligence was linked to the car (or the people linked to the car.) What was briefed or conveyed to the responding officers and how all of that played into the officers decision to shoot.

That's kind of interesting. I'd have expected them to go for murder under the joint enterprise doctrine. Especially for a gang murder with a fireman in a nightclub. I wonder if the actual shooter being dead and not prosecutable complicated things.
As far as I can tell, they were charged on JE and all 3 were found not guilty of attempted murder (the victim of this shooting survived) and got wounding w/intent instead. If I'm reading between the lines of that verdict it may be that the jury found there was an intent to cause GBH rather than death, and the absence of "deceased gunman" as a witness or defendant may well have been a factor in this.

Any crimes Kaba turned out to have committed are entirely unrelated to the murder case against the Met officer.

It doesn't matter if he was choirboy or a wrongun. Police didn't know Kaba was the one driving and hadn't positively identified him at the stop.

What will matter is what that officer knew at the time. What the firearms marker on the car actually said, what other intelligence was linked to the car (or the people linked to the car.) What was briefed or conveyed to the responding officers and how all of that played into the officers decision to shoot.
This is absolutely something I'm going to have to take on board once this trial gets underway. This CoC order from the Malutshi case is driving me mad! I'm really keen to see how much of a role this incident plays in the eventual trial, it's really crucial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back