UK UK - Daniel Mizzi, 35, last seen at home in the Mutley area of Plymouth, Devon, on the evening of 8 Dec 2023

I wonder does he have any connections to the St Ives area. It’s not an easy or obvious place to get to from Plymouth. If he wanted to self harm, there would be easier places on footpaths on the south coast of Cornwall, I would think. There must be a reason he went there, to get a break from life in a favourite childhood spot, misguided attempt to walk the coast path, wanting to get on a boat to somewhere that way.
Hello, I am his brother, he has no links to St Ives or Cornwall in general. He's a very logical person and risk averse. At present we don't know if he went on the coastal path, the last CCTV sighting is by Porthmeor Beach Car Park and then nothing from there. It's plausible that he went on that path but it would be incredibly out of character especially with how he was dressed. I've walked some of the trail myself since and it's not easy and I was somewhat prepped for it whereas it doesn't appear that he was dressed for a walk in the mud

Hi folks, I am Dan's brother Jake. Thank you for keeping his name alive in the thread. The whole thing is heart wrenching and we just want him found. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask

Hi Jake

I started the thread off. I only wish there was more that we could do...

I have no idea how difficult it must be for you and your family. Going through things like Christmas and coming up to Easter, and still no sign of. I do hope you are receiving good support from the local police force and they are keeping you informed of all/ any new leads.

Hi folks, I am Dan's brother Jake. Thank you for keeping his name alive in the thread. The whole thing is heart wrenching and we just want him found. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask
Hi @ouch1123456 Please be advised that anything you post here as fact will require a link to an approved MSM source. You might want to start the process to become a verified insider since you are family. I have included a link for you.

Welcome to the thread, Jake. There are no questions from me - just a heartfelt wish that you will have good news about Dan soon.

Hi @ouch1123456 Please be advised that anything you post here as fact will require a link to an approved MSM source. You might want to start the process to become a verified insider since you are family. I have included a link for you.

Thank you I will do this and don't worry any information I give will always be sourced correctly, we've tried to be as careful as possible to be entirely factual any time we've talked publicly

Thank you I will do this and don't worry any information I give will always be sourced correctly, we've tried to be as careful as possible to be entirely factual any time we've talked publicly
Great! I would hate for any of your posts to be removed. Be advised I think the verification process takes a little patience.
Now to catch up on this thread.

Hi Jake

I started the thread off. I only wish there was more that we could do...

I have no idea how difficult it must be for you and your family. Going through things like Christmas and coming up to Easter, and still no sign of. I do hope you are receiving good support from the local police force and they are keeping you informed of all/ any new leads.
Thank you for starting the thread, I had seen it before and had a brief read but didn't want to interact when things were incredibly active on the search. Thankfully the officer on our case is fantastic and we can't speak highly enough of him. We've got further support coming soon from a 3rd party group but that's early days so far

Seriously though, thank you for starting this. Me and Dan have gone through some really bad times as kids and have always been extremely close, seeing people who don't know him push his name out there is heartwarming and stops me falling in to cynicism so thank you

Hi Jake. I am just so sorry this is happening to you. ANY clues at all regarding cellphone texts, pings, anything? Has everyone he interacted with that day been interviewed?

Hi Jake. I am just so sorry this is happening to you. ANY clues at all regarding cellphone texts, pings, anything? Has everyone he interacted with that day been interviewed?
Phone pings a mast in Camborne but Cornwall is more rural so less masts to ping and the belief is he was still around the St Ives area. No location tracking on it annoyingly. His phone stopped pinging at 6.40pm. As far as we're aware, he didn't interact with anyone but the police have interviewed as many people as they can that appear on CCTV walking past him, not 100% sure if everyone was tracked down so don't want to say they've interviewed everyone and be wrong

Hi Jake, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Has anyone (or LE) been able to check his computer or cellphone info to see if he perhaps had plans to meet someone (since he took shower gel, a phone charger, and a return ticket)? Is there anywhere he could have rented a small home or cabin in order to be by himself?

Has anyone (or LE) been able to check his computer or cellphone info to see if he perhaps had plans to meet someone (since he took shower gel, a phone charger, and a return ticket)? Is there anywhere he could have rented a small home or cabin in order to be by himself?
Or maybe he was working on a story? Read he is a freelance writer. I will have to go search for some of his articles.

Hello, thank you

They have his computer, laptops and other devices but there's nothing indicating that he was meeting anyone. Further checks are being done on that side though so that could change

We honestly don't know, he wasn't flush with money so we don't think he would've rented anywhere but the police have been working that angle as well to rule out places

Or maybe he was working on a story? Read he is a freelance writer. I will have to go search for some of his articles.
He didn't do investigative pieces that entailed him going anywhere, he's a homebody. The stuff he would write would be gaming articles or blog posts for other people etc he always wanted to do more creative writing but after working doing that it felt like a bus man's holiday

Hello, I am his brother, he has no links to St Ives or Cornwall in general. He's a very logical person and risk averse. At present we don't know if he went on the coastal path, the last CCTV sighting is by Porthmeor Beach Car Park and then nothing from there. It's plausible that he went on that path but it would be incredibly out of character especially with how he was dressed. I've walked some of the trail myself since and it's not easy and I was somewhat prepped for it whereas it doesn't appear that he was dressed for a walk in the mud

What strikes me is that you say the path is muddy and yet the photo of Dan walking along the road shows the bottom edges of his shoes are noticeably white. So, yes, a walk on a muddy path seems like it would probably be unappealing to him or not his intended destination. Imo.

Could he have had a distressing medical diagnosis recently? Financial, work, or relationship issues? Could he have been accidentally hit by a car? Could he have been forced into a car for some unknown reason?

(I am not on FB so I apologize if I am asking for information that has been released.)

Hi Jake. Dan sounds like a great guy and I'm sorry for what you must be going through.
I have a few (or a lot) questions but feel free not to answer any/all of them if you don't want to:

He got the train from Plymouth to St Erth and he had a return ticket. Was the return ticket from the same stations (St Erth to Plymouth)? Was it a day return, an open return or a return on a specified date?
Where and when did he buy the ticket? At the station just before getting the train or at some point beforehand?

Did Dan do a lot of walking? Not specifically hillwalking or coastal path type walking, just walking to town and such like? Trying to get an idea of how far he might plan to walk in a day. From St Erth station to Porthmeor Hill is around 5 miles - and a bit further if he included the loop around St Ives Head.
Also to note he covered those 5 miles in 1hr20 which is a fairly quick pace - feels like someone walking with purpose rather than an aimless stroll.

Last known sighting was at 1:28pm on Porthmeor Hill and the last ping from his phone was around 6:30pm in roughly the same location. Do we know if there were frequent phone pings during this time and 6:30 was just the last one (eg he stayed in the same area for that time) or if there was nothing before that final ping (so he could have walked some distance along the coastal path and been returning through St Ives when the phone pinged again)?

I think I read somewhere that he had taken shower gel and/or deodorant with him (but I can't find that link now)? Is that correct? Do you know if he also had a change of clothes with him? Do you know of anything else he might have had with him? A torch, for example?

Last edited:
Hi Jake. Dan sounds like a great guy and I'm sorry for what you must be going through.
I have a few (or a lot) questions but feel free not to answer any/all of them if you don't want to:

He got the train from Plymouth to St Erth and he had a return ticket. Was the return ticket from the same stations (St Erth to Plymouth)? Was it a day return, an open return or a return on a specified date?
Where and when did he buy the ticket? At the station just before getting the train or at some point beforehand?

Did Dan do a lot of walking? Not specifically hillwalking or coastal path type walking, just walking to town and such like? Trying to get an idea of how far he might plan to walk in a day. From St Erth station to Porthmeor Hill is around 5 miles - and a bit further if he included the loop around St Ives Head.
Also to note he covered those 5 miles in 1hr20 which is a fairly quick pace - feels like someone walking with purpose rather than an aimless stroll.

Last known sighting was at 1:28pm on Porthmeor Hill and the last ping from his phone was around 6:30pm in roughly the same location. Do we know if there were frequent phone pings during this time and 6:30 was just the last one (eg he stayed in the same area for that time) or if there was nothing before that final ping (so he could have walked some distance along the coastal path and been returning through St Ives when the phone pinged again)?

I think I read somewhere that he had taken shower gel and/or deodorant with him (but I can't find that link now)? Is that correct? Do you know if he also had a change of clothes with him?
Hello, Dan is a great guy, without him I wouldn't be half the person I am now. I'm happy to answer the questions

As far as we know the return ticket was from St Erth back to Plymouth but it has not been used at all. With the shower gel, that's just based on what's missing from his room, same as the charger (we live together so I was able to inventory his room fairly quickly). We don't know if he had any clothes with him, the bag he had wasn't that big but it is possible that he had extra clothes with him but ultimately, we don't know

In terms of walking, he'd usually walk around the block or a few streets over, only going any sort of distance if he was going shops. He does it daily for exercise after he finishes work around 4.30/5pm usually. He's generally an introvert so doesn't really stray far. With regards to the speed, it could be because he had a purpose but he has always been a ridiculously fast walker so him covering that distance in a short time doesn't surprise in the least. I think he had a destination in mind as he's always calculated in what he does but I will say that's speculation based on his normal behaviour on my part so please don't take that as gospel!

His phone was active all the time until 6.40pm on 08/12 however he wasn't calling or texting anyone, it was just connected to the mast. The mast itself is in Camborne but with Cornwall being largely rural there's only a limited number of masts to connect to so it doesn't help us in terms of location as masts can hold a signal over large distances (sometimes up to about 40 miles depending on topography). So the ping didn't really give us a location, just an extremely large radius as to where he could be or have been. St Ives has been the focal point just because there's been no evidence leading anywhere else at present.

Hopefully I've not missed anything! As I've said before, I'm happy to answer any questions because ultimately my goal is to bring Dan home, whether that's him alive or not I don't know, but people on the outside looking at things are likely to be less biased than myself or my mum and may think of ideas that we haven't thought of previously so we're trying to be an open book

I've said it a few times in other replies but in all sincerity, thank you for showing an interest in his case, anyone who talks about him or spreads his name is a hero in our books so thank you

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billyidaho
Back