UK - Lin, 45, & Megan Russell, 6, Chillenden, Kent, 9 July 1996

Levi Bellfield was rewarded for this confession

how do you know? With what?

Revealed: Milly Dowler's killer Levi Bellfield LIED that he murdered Lin and Megan Russell in grisly 1996 hammer attack in exchange for £5K cash payment - as hoax raises fears about his other confessions behind bars.​

Revealed: Milly Dowler's killer Levi Bellfield LIED that he murdered Lin and Megan Russell in grisly 1996 hammer attack in exchange for £5K cash payment - as hoax raises fears about his other confessions behind bars.​

omg. thanks

I'd never heard of Antoni Imiela before he was mentioned earlier on this thread. Just looked him up and his picture is enough to make anyone shudder. Pure evil in the eyes.

Antoni Imiela stalked and raped girls and women, around the M25 area. Can't see the connection apart from the geography personally. The killer wasn't disturbed, so the only motive was murder in my eyes, not rape, or robbery.

Antoni Imiela stalked and raped girls and women, around the M25 area. Can't see the connection apart from the geography personally. The killer wasn't disturbed, so the only motive was murder in my eyes, not rape, or robbery.
Tend to agree, one thing that does suggest robbery is Megan saying the perpetrator asking for money during the attack.
This is the sort of thing I’d expect from MS and not from LB, LB’s MO is motivated by pure evil.

Tend to agree, one thing that does suggest robbery is Megan saying the perpetrator asking for money during the attack.
This is the sort of thing I’d expect from MS and not from LB, LB’s MO is motivated by pure evil.
I believe Lin told Josie to run home and get help. I am not sure if that was before the hammer was produced. Perhaps her attempted escape infuriated him so much he then grabbed the hammer and then decided to kill them all.
Even so, Michael Stone's previous crimes were armed robbery, and GBH. The GBH was against other men. He was never charged with violence against women or children. Even discounting the non existent DNA or forensics, and despite Stone's criminal past, the crime just doesn't fit his MO at all. He insisted the police take his samples and DNA at his interviews for this crime. I can't see why he would do that if guilty,

I believe Lin told Josie to run home and get help. I am not sure if that was before the hammer was produced. Perhaps her attempted escape infuriated him so much he then grabbed the hammer and then decided to kill them all.
Even so, Michael Stone's previous crimes were armed robbery, and GBH. The GBH was against other men. He was never charged with violence against women or children. Even discounting the non existent DNA or forensics, and despite Stone's criminal past, the crime just doesn't fit his MO at all. He insisted the police take his samples and DNA at his interviews for this crime. I can't see why he would do that if guilty,
Good point, the lack of his DNA is important (did the lace have a full DNA profile on it?). If it did there’s a good chance that it would be able to be matched now.
You could easily eliminate LB in that case, although his hatred of women and his previous crimes fit the Russell murders better than MS does.
Not saying that it’s the case, but some forces don’t like admitting they got it wrong.

A witness had seen the killer before the murders took place stood at the side of the road with the hammer in his hands. I don't believe he produced it midway through the attack, he would have threatened them with it from the off. JMO

A witness had seen the killer before the murders took place stood at the side of the road with the hammer in his hands. I don't believe he produced it midway through the attack, he would have threatened them with it from the off. JMO
I’ve seen some TV docs that quote witnesses seeing a man at the side of the road, but I don’t recall them mentioning the hammer.
The police found blood stained items at the side of the road also.
This tends to suggest that the killer stopped to clean himself up and wipe the murder weapon before carrying on.
I agree it’s unlikely that he produced the hammer after stopping them, more likely had it in hand with intent to use it.
This conclusion reasons that the murders were premeditated and not a violent reaction to the victims resisting him.

There was a witness who saw a man driving in a Ford car that helped to produce the E-fit and another witness who saw someone concealing something in a bush on a nearby lane, shortly after the attack.

In my opinion, there is not enough evidence or motive for Michael Stone's conviction to be secured and it is an outrage that a man has lost his freedom for so many years with so little evidence to support his conviction. His sister has stood by him all of these years and STILL maintains his innocence. Is that out of delusional loyalty or a firm belief that he is innocent? What facts are there that weren't admissable to the court, and subsequently weren't reported?

I do think that people get tunnel vision in these cases. The public want someone caught. I feel once the police get a hunch, they stick to it, instead of exploring other possibilities. In my opinion, I still feel it's possible that the killer was someone else, someone who is potentially still out there. The E-fit looked nothing like Michael Stone. The E fit showed a large filled face, Stone was scrawny.

There was a witness who saw a man driving in a Ford car that helped to produce the E-fit and another witness who saw someone concealing something in a bush on a nearby lane, shortly after the attack.

In my opinion, there is not enough evidence or motive for Michael Stone's conviction to be secured and it is an outrage that a man has lost his freedom for so many years with so little evidence to support his conviction. His sister has stood by him all of these years and STILL maintains his innocence. Is that out of delusional loyalty or a firm belief that he is innocent? What facts are there that weren't admissable to the court, and subsequently weren't reported?

I do think that people get tunnel vision in these cases. The public want someone caught. I feel once the police get a hunch, they stick to it, instead of exploring other possibilities. In my opinion, I still feel it's possible that the killer was someone else, someone who is potentially still out there. The E-fit looked nothing like Michael Stone. The E fit showed a large filled face, Stone was scrawny.
I know about the Ford car witness, also the fact that MS’s DNA was not found at the crime scene and the autopsy report didn’t fit with him (but would fit LB) all adds up to the wrong man being in prison.
IMO based on the evidence presented in court MS should never have been convicted.
If you then add the fact that the fellow con who was the star prosecutor witness lied, MS should have been released on appeal.
IMO they know that the guilty man is already behind bars and they don’t want the embarrassment of MS being released.

I know about the Ford car witness, also the fact that MS’s DNA was not found at the crime scene and the autopsy report didn’t fit with him (but would fit LB) all adds up to the wrong man being in prison.
IMO based on the evidence presented in court MS should never have been convicted.
If you then add the fact that the fellow con who was the star prosecutor witness lied, MS should have been released on appeal.
IMO they know that the guilty man is already behind bars and they don’t want the embarrassment of MS being released.
I completely agree. If I recall correctly, the determining factor in the conviction was Damien Daley's statement of a cell block confession, they thought that with Daley being on the inside, there is no way he would have known the details without hearing them from Stone, but it was argued he got them from a news paper, as his statement used an unusual choice of word, paupers, that was printed in the newspaper about the case at the time. Daley has since been convicted of murder. As you say, there was no trace of Stone's DNA found at the scene and the modus operandi doesn't fit Stone's previous crimes.

I completely agree. If I recall correctly, the determining factor in the conviction was Damien Daley's statement of a cell block confession, they thought that with Daley being on the inside, there is no way he would have known the details without hearing them from Stone, but it was argued he got them from a news paper, as his statement used an unusual choice of word, paupers, that was printed in the newspaper about the case at the time. Daley has since been convicted of murder. As you say, there was no trace of Stone's DNA found at the scene and the modus operandi doesn't fit Stone's previous crimes.
Stone knew he was being fitted up. He asked for solitary confinement when he was put in custody pre-trial. He'd been through the system enough to know this kind of move would probably materialise.
I honestly think the only reason his case has not been reviewed properly for an appeal before, is that he was a criminal, drug user and probably not a very nice man.

This crime was the act of a total psychopath, who had the calmness of tying the victims up before killing them.

I have no doubt the perpetuator had killed before, and probably has since, as I don't think Bellfield did it, and Stone certainly didn't

Stone knew he was being fitted up. He asked for solitary confinement when he was put in custody pre-trial. He'd been through the system enough to know this kind of move would probably materialise.
I honestly think the only reason his case has not been reviewed properly for an appeal before, is that he was a criminal, drug user and probably not a very nice man.

This crime was the act of a total psychopath, who had the calmness of tying the victims up before killing them.

I have no doubt the perpetuator had killed before, and probably has since, as I don't think Bellfield did it, and Stone certainly didn't
It was such a violent act that it’s surprising the perpetrator has not continued to degenerate further, to the point where his identity become obvious by being caught.

It was such a violent act that it’s surprising the perpetrator has not continued to degenerate further, to the point where his identity become obvious by being caught.
The Russell Murders happened just as CCTV and DNA was on the cusp of becoming mainstream. Sure, it was a lonely country lane but would a perpetrator get away with it nowadays? I don't know. You do raise a good point though, if it wasn't Stone or Bellfield, what other crimes could the killer have committed.

As a total sidenote, and I am absolutely not saying the two things are connected, but I did read that Billie Jo Jenkins's (1997) alleged killer (later acquitted) Sion Jenkins had links to Nonnington, where the Russells began the walk. Billie-Jo's murder took place in near by Hastings (around 28 miles away) and involved a solid instrument to her head. It is alleged that Sion Jenkins was violent to his wife and adoptive daughter. There could be nothing in it but I thought it worth mentioning, the coincidences between the 2 cases.

The Russell Murders happened just as CCTV and DNA was on the cusp of becoming mainstream. Sure, it was a lonely country lane but would a perpetrator get away with it nowadays? I don't know. You do raise a good point though, if it wasn't Stone or Bellfield, what other crimes could the killer have committed.

As a total sidenote, and I am absolutely not saying the two things are connected, but I did read that Billie Jo Jenkins's (1997) alleged killer (later acquitted) Sion Jenkins had links to Nonnington, where the Russells began the walk. Billie-Jo's murder took place in near by Hastings (around 28 miles away) and involved a solid instrument to her head. It is alleged that Sion Jenkins was violent to his wife and adoptive daughter. There could be nothing in it but I thought it worth mentioning, the coincidences between the 2 cases.
That’s a good call, I’ve not studied the Billie Jo Jenkins case, but I’m going to take a look.
If the police were happy to believe MS travelled from Maidstone, why not someone doing the same from Hastings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazy_visitor
Back