UK UK - Serial Killer in Ipswich UK - Stephen Wright

(Source)

Man Charged With Murders

Updated: 00:05, Friday December 22, 2006

1482165.jpg

Charged: Stephen Wright

A 48-year-old man has been charged with murdering five women in Suffolk.

Steve Wright is accused of killing Gemma Adams, Tania Nicol, Anneli Alderton, Paula Clennell and Annette Nicholls, who all worked as prostitutes.

Wright, of Ipswich, will appear at the town's magistrates' court tomorrow.

Another man arrested on suspicion of the murders, Tom Stephens, is to be released on police bail.

News of the charge was announced by Detective Chief Superintendent Stewart Gull, who has headed the investigation, at a media conference at Suffolk police headquarters.

The Crown Prosecution Service's senior prosecutor Michael Crimp said a team of CPS lawyers had been in close contact with detectives since the arrests were made earlier this week.

1482168.jpg

Police announcing the charges
"As this case has developed, we have been carefully examining and assessing the evidence," he said.

"This evening we have made the decision that there is sufficient evidence and authorised that Steven Wright... should be charged with murder."

He reminded journalists about the need for care in reporting events surrounding the case, adding: "Steven Wright stands accused of these offences and has a right to a fair trial."

The five victims were found dead near villages south of the town between December 3 and 12.

Gemma, 25, was found at Hintlesham on December 2; Tania, 19, at Copdock on December 8; Anneli, 24, at Nacton on December 10; and Paula, 24, and Annette, 29, at Levington.

The women were murdered at a rate unprecedented in British criminal history.

More than 500 officers from over 31 forces were called in to help with the investigation.

Inquests into all five deaths have been opened and adjourned.

I was born in Suffolk near Ipswitch. Haven't been back since I was a babe. So I have been following this case. So glad they got the sicko fairly quickly. And he looks like a real loser too. All the girls he killed were very pretty. So sad for them and their families.

I have to give great Kudos to the British police. They thorougly investigate a case quickly and solve it.

I also admire them greatly on how quickly they arrest the terrorists that strike their country. Imo, they are world class and a cut above!

Congratulations! Job well done.

Ocean

Suffolk Suspect In Court

Updated: 10:37, Friday December 22, 2006

(Source)
Breaking News

1482165.jpg

Steve Wright

A former forklift truck driver has appeared in court to face charges of murdering five prostitutes.

Steve Wright, 48, is alleged to have killed Gemma Adams, 25, Tania Nicol, 19, Anneli Alderton, 24, Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29.

Ipswich magistrates heard the offences were said to have happened in Suffolk between October 29 and December 13.

Wright, from Ipswich, was remanded in custody to appear before Ipswich Crown Court on January 2.

Police launched a murder inquiry after the bodies of the women were found near villages south of Ipswich earlier this month.

The Crown Prosecution Service's Michael Crimp urged journalists of the need for care in reporting events surrounding the case.

He added: "Steven Wright stands accused of these offences and has a right to a fair trial."

1482251.jpg

Wright arriving at Ipswich Magistrates' Court
The defendant's solicitor, Paul Osler, added: "I would remind everybody about the presumption of innocence."

Detectives launched an inquiry after Miss Nicol vanished in late October. Miss Adams disappeared two weeks later.

A murder investigation began on December 2 when Miss Adams's body was found in a stream at Hintlesham, Suffolk.

During the next 10 days, the bodies of the other four were found in isolated locations nearby.

Detectives said all the women were discovered naked. Miss Alderton had been strangled, and Miss Clennell had died as a result of "compression" to the neck.

The women were killed at a rate unprecedented in British criminal history.

Detective Chief Superintendent Stewart Gull, who has headed the investigation, said a 37-year-old man - named by sources as Tom Stephens - had been released on police bail.

Mr Stephens was arrested at his home in Trimley St Martin, Suffolk, on Monday on suspicion of murdering the women.

oceanblueeyes said:
I have to give great Kudos to the British police. They thorougly investigate a case quickly and solve it.

I also admire them greatly on how quickly they arrest the terrorists that strike their country. Imo, they are world class and a cut above!

Congratulations! Job well done.

Ocean
I'm so glad they've got him - what a relief for the people of Ipswich! And your right about the Police - they have done the most amazing job!

I think they are going to find he has done away with many more over the years. possibly running into the hundreds and possibly while he was a chef on the QE II. :behindbar :behindbar :behindbar

Floh, where are you reading about his background? I saw a little more info reported on the first suspect but not much on Steven Wright.

blaize said:
Suffolk Suspect In Court

The women were killed at a rate unprecedented in British criminal history.
I'm not sure that is true didn't Harold Shipman kill several of his patients a month? and what about Mass Murderers like Thomas Hamilton & Michael Ryan.

Daniel Gonzalez also knifed to death 4 people at random in the space of 3 days in 2004 around London, it hardly even made the news? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4802628.stm

detecto said:
I'm not sure that is true didn't Harold Shipman kill several of his patients a month? and what about Mass Murderers like Thomas Hamilton & Michael Ryan.

Daniel Gonzalez also knifed to death 4 people at random in the space of 3 days in 2004 around London, it hardly even made the news? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4802628.stm
The press do tend to make sweeping statements like this one. I imagine anything connected with "ripper" type murders are given more exposure because of the suspected sexual nature of crimes.

Steve Huff has done some excellent research on the Suffolk killings over on crimeblog.us. The commment sections on the posts dealing with the killings are very active with several spot on observations coming from several of his regular commenters.

Steve Wright, a 49-year-old forklift truck driver, is likely to spend the rest of his life in prison after being found guilty of killing five women who worked as prostitutes in what the prosecution called a six-week "campaign of murder".

A jury at Ipswich crown court yesterday took fewer than six hours to find Wright responsible for the murders, which terrified the Suffolk town and led to one of the country's biggest police investigations.

There were gasps and loud sobs from the murdered victims' families as the verdicts were read out. Wright, biting his lip, then slumped forward, resting his head on his knees as he stared at his shoes. He was handed a glass of water by a court official, before being led from the court.

Much more at link (from feb 2008)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/22/suffolkmurders.ukcrime

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ServerNotResponding