UK UK - Sheila Le Grys, 25, North Walsham, Norfolk, 7 Dec 1963

Al Ka

Reaction score
Sheila Le Grys

Sex: female

Date: 7 Dec 1963
Place: North Walsham, Norfolk

Sheila Le Grys went missing in North Walsham. No information available.

Sheila Le Gry - Unsolved Murder 1963 - North Walsham - Sheila Le Gry Unsolved Mysteries UK
===

Published 03 January 2012
Norfolk police conduct fresh probe into missing people in county

We will not give up on tracing missing people - that was the message from a leading Norfolk detective who has been responsible for leading a review into more than 80 unsolved cases in the county.

Detectives have been working through the list of outstanding missing people in the county and have been prioritising those cases where there is a real likelihood of achieving a successful outcome.

Det Insp Guy, who said a similar re-investigation of missing people is being carried out in Suffolk, said: “We will do a re-investigation of each one and are working our way through that. It will involve getting familial DNA, carrying out any inquiries that we can do now that we couldn’t do 20 years ago.”

Some of those cases being looked at by the team include:

<t> Sheila Le Grys who went missing from North Walsham on December 7 1963. She would now be 74.

Norfolk police conduct fresh probe into missing people in county

Attachment with Norfolk murder and missing person's cases viewable online. It seems information gathered and put into excel spreadsheet was done by police.

Details about Sheila there:

Missing; believed homicide: Sheila Le Grys 07/12/1963

Person went missing from her home address in North Walsham and has never been found. Since 2008 under the emergence of unsolved case review practice. This case has been and remains subject of regular review.

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/sites/suffolk/files/002141-16_-_data.xlsx

Last edited:
There is not much information out there, only that the case was lastly reviewed by police in 2012. There is no photo yet, no circumstances etc.

Help is needed in this case by genealogist, researchers, sleuths and well, anyone who can dig out any information. Any photo of her is very much needed too.

Last edited:
Little information out there:

Posted Mar 29, 2018

Im looking for Sheila Margaret Le Grys, last known surname.
Maiden name is Rickett. She been missing since 1963 and never been found our heard from. Please do you know her or its your self out there please get in touch. Sheila mother name is Margaret Tuttle. Margaret maiden name is Trott. Sheila is last seen in North Walsham Norfolk 1963. She left 3 young boys behind.

Please we all wondering where you are enc
please Sheila get in touch or do you know Sheila please get in touch even if its just saying you ok

Lookupuk.com - Lookup United Kingdom - England Message Board

Hi looking for Sheila Rickett is her maiden name. She was married 1955 to Frederick legrys and had 3 sons. sheila mum name was Margaret rickett but married a tuttle. Sheila my be married again not had contact with her since 1963 if anyone know this Sheila please get in touch

https://missing-you.net/people/sheila-m-rickett-143612.php

June 21, 2010
Hi, Looking for Sheila Margaret Rickett
Have not much information but hope the info what i have is enough.

Sheila was married to Frederick Legrys they been married at 1955/56 Hoddlesdon, Hertfordshire, ENGLAND

Sheila Margaret Rickett - Genealogy.com

Last edited:
Other post I have found is a bit freaky and it seems to be from Nigeria. As it is exact same name I am including it here. (Might or might not have relevance)

Posted Sep 2003

It wasn't always like that. Back in 1978 a Bristow Wessex lost its tail rotor and crashed with (miraculously) only minor injuries. This was in the days before OLOG when Bristow was a company with integrity. Despite weeks of looking the tail rotor was never discovered. Many years later it was found and the late Mike Griffin, a man of great integrity, would tell anyone who was interested all about the accident investigation and the actual cause of the accident.

However, there was a much less thorough investigation as to who murdered Sheila Le Grys in her house in the Shell camp in Warri about the same time.

PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)

(some parts above bolded by me)

Last edited:
Other post I have found is a bit freaky and it seems to be from Nigeria. As it is exact same name I am including it here. (Might or might not have relevance)

Posted Sep 2003

It wasn't always like that. Back in 1978 a Bristow Wessex lost its tail rotor and crashed with (miraculously) only minor injuries. This was in the days before OLOG when Bristow was a company with integrity. Despite weeks of looking the tail rotor was never discovered. Many years later it was found and the late Mike Griffin, a man of great integrity, would tell anyone who was interested all about the accident investigation and the actual cause of the accident.

However, there was a much less thorough investigation as to who murdered Sheila Le Grys in her house in the Shell camp in Warri about the same time.

If this Sheila Le Grys murder happened 'about the same time', we're talking late 70's I believe. Could she have disappeared in 1963, and made her way to Nigeria? Perplexing IMO

If this Sheila Le Grys murder happened 'about the same time', we're talking late 70's I believe. Could she have disappeared in 1963, and made her way to Nigeria? Perplexing IMO

The same name is such a coincidence isn't it? I've done a quick search to find connections between the north Suffolk area where Sheila Le Grys disappeared and the Shell Camp in Warri, Nigeria. May mean nothing but The Shell Camp in Warri, Nigeria was set up to mainly for accommodation and transport for workers for Shell Oil. There were, or possibly still are, oil/gas rigs offshore in the Suffolk/Norfolk coast and I suppose the workers would have spent leave time locally?
A really tenuous connection, but thought I'd put it here anyway.

Posted Sep 2003

I have found that comment fascinating, the site is for pilots, so I wondered if she or her husband may have worked for that company. Maybe the person in that site could be contacted?
Not sure if he worked for them however her husband was a Pilot!

Frederick William Brewer LE GRYSAge: 65 years1932–1998
Name
Frederick William Brewer LE GRYS
Surname
LE GRYS
Given names
Frederick William Brewer
Events of close relatives
BIRT.png
Birth 16 July 1932 52 36
Clacton on Sea, Tendring, Essex, ENG

OCCU.png
Occupation
Helicopter Pilot

DEAT.png
Death 3 February 1998 (Age 65 years)
Harlestone, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENG

I have found that comment fascinating, the site is for pilots, so I wondered if she or her husband may have worked for that company. Maybe the person in that site could be contacted?
Not sure if he worked for them however her husband was a Pilot!

Frederick William Brewer LE GRYSAge: 65 years1932–1998
Name
Frederick William Brewer LE GRYS
Surname
LE GRYS
Given names
Frederick William Brewer
Events of close relatives
BIRT.png
Birth 16 July 1932 52 36
Clacton on Sea, Tendring, Essex, ENG

OCCU.png
Occupation
Helicopter Pilot

DEAT.png
Death 3 February 1998 (Age 65 years)
Harlestone, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENG

Wow StarrChance, you are truly a star. Thank you for finding all this great extra information. I have not even noticed that it was site for pilots. I will go and have a look at the company and place.

Now, I do want to be 100 percent sure that the person mentioned, pilot, is our Sheila's husband and not someone just with the same name. I do not see in those links any mention of his marriage or any link to her. Or maybe I am just not looking correctly.

If anyone has ancestry or similar maybe they can double check based on his birth dates, their marriage date in 55/56? We also at this point do not know Sheila's birthday dates, so again, ancestry would be good to find that out.

Another thing, does UK have yearly highschool classbooks with photos or do you do anything equivalent what they do in US that we could obtain Sheila photo from?

I have found them both under marriage index in ancestry. As I do not have accout there I unfortunately can't see any details. But at least I can confirm that Frederick's middle initials were indeed W.B. which are very likely as stated per StarrChance discovery Frederick William Brewer LE GRYS

Name
Frederick W B Le
Spouse
Sheila M Rickett

Frederick Le Grys - Ancestry.com

Even though still no dates I have found confirmation that we are on right trail. Fred W.B. Le Grys, pilot, was Sheila husband. He flew different planes, not just helicopter. He flew for Black Arrows too. And in seperate document I have found that in early 50's he flew for Royal Air Force.

Old family rumour was that Sheila ran away with other co-pilot.

What is very interesting in late 70s he was indeed in Nigeria. And as per someone in the link below his 2nd wife was killed there. Was his 2nd wife named Sheila too???

Discussion about Fred, her husband here - Sorry if this in the wrong bit - PPRuNe Forums

Copy of Royal Air Force service starting in June of 1952. Three years before he married Sheila. (his name is at right column almost at the bottom).

(full size view in the link)
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/39767/supplement/689/data.pdf

Last edited:
I have found memorabilia personally signed by Fred after he broke world air speed record in competition flight between Paris-London, London-Paris in 1980.

C63 ‘Spirit Of Paris’ Frederick Le Grys Signed & Flown Cover 08/01/80

On sale on ebay - C63 ‘Spirit Of Paris’ Frederick Le Grys Signed & Flown Cover 08/01/80 | eBay

Details of his world record - https://www.drone-racing.aero/records?f[0]=field_type_of_record:148&f[1]=field_status:130&f[2]=field_athlete%3Atitle_field:Frederick W. Legrys&order=field_zone&sort=asc

More I am learning about him more I want to find anything about Sheila.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 5
I have found memorabilia personally signed by Fred after he broke world air speed record in competition flight between Paris-London, London-Paris in 1980.

On sale on ebay - C63 ‘Spirit Of Paris’ Frederick Le Grys Signed & Flown Cover 08/01/80 | eBay

Details of his world record - https://www.drone-racing.aero/records?f[0]=field_type_of_record:148&f[1]=field_status:130&f[2]=field_athlete%3Atitle_field:Frederick W. Legrys&order=field_zone&sort=asc

You are certainly on the correct trail IMO. Amazing what you have tracked down, so far. Well done!

The same name is such a coincidence isn't it? I've done a quick search to find connections between the north Suffolk area where Sheila Le Grys disappeared and the Shell Camp in Warri, Nigeria. May mean nothing but The Shell Camp in Warri, Nigeria was set up to mainly for accommodation and transport for workers for Shell Oil. There were, or possibly still are, oil/gas rigs offshore in the Suffolk/Norfolk coast and I suppose the workers would have spent leave time locally?
A really tenuous connection, but thought I'd put it here anyway.

From what I am finding out you are very much spot on. I have just found document from 1969 that shows that helicopters were adjusted specially to assist and support at oil drilling rigs.

scan26.jpg

Those pilots flew to many places around the world. Nigeria, Lagos, Jordan etc. I guess all places were mainly oil rigs or perhaps they flew to other places for other purposes too. So Fred was definitely in Warri, Nigeria on such exact same oil rig work as pilot.

Also on pilot boards I noticed Great Yarmouth is also mentioned as place where pilots were based (one of many bases). Fred and Sheila lived in North Walsham, which is not that far, so it could have been due to his work. Or well, they maybe had families nearby.

As per North Walsham census it had around 12K population in 2011. That would probably mean that in 1960s it was just few hundred people. Surely, someone must have known her or still remember her.

North Walsham - Wikipedia

I wonder if she was stay at home mum (housewife) as women used to be in those years. And she had 3 small children.

Last edited:

As I am unable to edit above anymore, just adding old newspaper clipping about that World Record. He broke old record by 25 min.

BHBFSpiritofParis.jpg

Bristow Photos - Page 79 - PPRuNe Forums

Last edited:
I have found them both under marriage index in ancestry. As I do not have accout there I unfortunately can't see any details. But at least I can confirm that Frederick's middle initials were indeed W.B. which are very likely as stated per StarrChance discovery Frederick William Brewer LE GRYS

Name
Frederick W B Le
Spouse
Sheila M Rickett

Frederick Le Grys - Ancestry.com

I no longer have an Ancestry account, but can anyone see the details of the other Frederick W B and Sheila White on the page you linked please? Another coincidence there with names, Frederick and Sheila, was that 2nd wife or am I off on a tangent here?
I'll try and find it on other records meanwhile. TIA.

I no longer have an Ancestry account, but can anyone see the details of the other Frederick W B and Sheila White on the page you linked please? Another coincidence there with names, Frederick and Sheila, was that 2nd wife or am I off on a tangent here?

Answering myself here ;) Found this below. So seems his second wife was also a Sheila, and the one that died in Warri, Nigeria possibly ?

FreeBMD - Search

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

Marriages Mar 1973 (>99%)
WHITE SHEILA A LE-GRYS NORWICH O 4B 1933
btnInfo.gif
scanavail.gif

Last edited:
Now, I do want to be 100 percent sure that the person mentioned, pilot, is our Sheila's husband and not someone just with the same name. I do not see in those links any mention of his marriage or any link to her. Or maybe I am just not looking correctly.

If anyone has ancestry or similar maybe they can double check based on his birth dates, their marriage date in 55/56? We also at this point do not know Sheila's birthday dates, so again, ancestry would be good to find that out.

Another thing, does UK have yearly highschool classbooks with photos or do you do anything equivalent what they do in US that we could obtain Sheila photo from?

BBM
No we don't have highschool classbooks in the UK. Every school has a yearly photograph usually that is available to families, parents, students, but nothing permanent such as a classbook.

Yes, I have seen it but for some reason I have disregarded it. From your other details it seems she is definitely his 2nd wife.

Would he be able to marry 2nd time in 1973 if his 1st wife was still technically missing? I am not sure how it worked in those years. Or perhaps she was declared legally deceased some time prior to his other marriage? So, extra info and documents we need to find.

Nigeria, as per pilot forums was quite dangerous place at that time. But that we have conflicting accounts about his 2nd wife death is intriguing. One is claiming that she was murdered in her house other that she was killed on some raid in camp.

I have seen one post somewhere there that at some point all UK workers stationed there had to be evacuated from Warri but I am not sure if it was around the same time or different years. Will search if I can find more about that.

BBM
No we don't have highschool classbooks in the UK. Every school has a yearly photograph usually that is available to families, parents, students, but nothing permanent such as a classbook.

Ohh, what a pity :(. That makes it so much harder then to find any photos in any older cases.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back