UT UT - Reed Jeppson, 15, Salt Lake City, 11 Oct 1964

When a hunter, who vanished in the mountains, in 1968, remains turned up decades later, a man who claimed to be a ranger, made this astute comment:

"The West’s mountains and deserts are wild country and full of danger-one misstep, or not paying full attention for a moment, and bad things happen. Even doing everything right can get you into trouble. I rescued dozens of people on the job when they were lost or injured in the Rockies and Arizona desert. I even had to be rescued myself once."

Idaho hunter finds remains of man missing for 53 years

I don't know, I keep going from 70/30 nature danger-animal attack to 60/40 abduction to 50/50 either way. The above comment I quoted must be considered. One misstep, a spoof to those dogs, a wild animal, a natural accident.

Or even an abduction. Regardless of what happened, Reed got into the wrong place at the wrong time. Reading the above, makes a tragic accident more plausible. But how easy or difficult would it be for dead bodies to vanish and never be seen for years?

In studies of missing children in families many will believe an abduction without evidence, because than they know that the poor victims lose control in coming home. They will often think this because death is to painful of an option. Or potential suicide is too painful of an option. If they think abduction, they can hold onto hope of escape for the victim and prosecution for the perpetrator with a conviction. If they assess other options, it doesn't give them that kind of positive hope.

Perhaps this is why Reed's family believes that he was abducted? The worst in all of this, is that we have no closure as to what happened to bring peace/justice for Reed and his family.

Satch

ON OCT. 11, 1964 after church Reed Jeppson took his two German short hair pointers for a walk--and was never seen again. There was never anything to indicate foul play or that he had run away. Reed Jeppson was simply gone. At the time of his disappearance, he was 15, 5'6", 130 lbs, blonde hair and blue eyes. He wore braces at the time and was wearing Levis, a white shirt and a pullover. If you have any information contact Salt Lake City Police Det. Cody Lougy at 1-801-799-3454.

[URL='https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-23dAF0DgvRQ/XyzkUXJD7RI/AAAAAAAAOlg/CQ6fhN_Kwjs4SuLCC9gHSk-6tjF0aToCgCNcBGAsYHQ/s2048/The_Salt_Lake_Tribune_Tue__Oct_19__1965_.jpg'][/URL]

LINKS:

Reed Jeppson: Where Did He Go? - CrimeBlogger1983

Cold Case USA: REED JEPPSON DISAPPEARED INTO THIN AIR IN 1964

https://truecrimediva.com/reed-jeppson/

When a hunter, who vanished in the mountains, in 1968, remains turned up decades later, a man who claimed to be a ranger, made this astute comment:

"The West’s mountains and deserts are wild country and full of danger-one misstep, or not paying full attention for a moment, and bad things happen. Even doing everything right can get you into trouble. I rescued dozens of people on the job when they were lost or injured in the Rockies and Arizona desert. I even had to be rescued myself once."

Idaho hunter finds remains of man missing for 53 years

I don't know, I keep going from 70/30 nature danger-animal attack to 60/40 abduction to 50/50 either way. The above comment I quoted must be considered. One misstep, a spoof to those dogs, a wild animal, a natural accident.

Or even an abduction. Regardless of what happened, Reed got into the wrong place at the wrong time. Reading the above, makes a tragic accident more plausible. But how easy or difficult would it be for dead bodies to vanish and never be seen for years?

In studies of missing children in families many will believe an abduction without evidence, because than they know that the poor victims lose control in coming home. They will often think this because death is to painful of an option. Or potential suicide is too painful of an option. If they think abduction, they can hold onto hope of escape for the victim and prosecution for the perpetrator with a conviction. If they assess other options, it doesn't give them that kind of positive hope.

Perhaps this is why Reed's family believes that he was abducted? The worst in all of this, is that we have no closure as to what happened to bring peace/justice for Reed and his family.

Satch

There's a certain author, filmmaker, outdoors man, and former policeman, who I can't name here because he's not considered MSM, I follow who studies, using the same sources we do, cases of folks who go missing in the woods. After reading his books & watching his movies, it's puzzling the amount of people who go missing in the woods and are either never found or are found decades later, usually miles from their origination point. However, sometimes they're found in an area close to where they were last seen, in an area that was searched multiple times.
In one of his books/movies, he specifically focuses on hunters. Hunters, in most cases, have loads of experience in the wilderness, who also know the area they disappear in like the back of their hand. No matter their experience, something happens, an they're never seen again.
One of the reasons why I asked about Reed's Boy Scout and possible hunting experience is because I wonder if there were a chance he took these dogs bird hunting, not a for walk.

Hunters, in most cases, have loads of experience in the wilderness, who also know the area they disappear in like the back of their hand. No matter their experience, something happens, an they're never seen again.
One of the reasons why I asked about Reed's Boy Scout and possible hunting experience is because I wonder if there were a chance he took these dogs bird hunting, not a for walk.

Absolutely possible,
It seems that going bird hunting would indicate that Reed was going to be gone for a much longer period of time. One doesn't bird hunt in a half an hour or less. But few reports say that Reed took his dogs bird hunting, which is what he could have intended all along.

MSM at the time only understood this as a teenage boy who went out to feed and walk his dogs and is never seen again. Surly he had every intention of coming home to eat with the family. But he could have, with his passion for his dogs and love of the outdoors, lost track of time, lost interest in eating, and wanted to explore more terrain over a long period of time. Maybe one of the dogs caught a huge bird and Reed was so excited about this that he lost sense of other surroundings. He lost his Eagle Scout awareness skills, and something bad happened to all three of them within seconds to minutes.

When a young kid is doing something that they love, they will go for hours and hours doing it. As a kid, I would skip breakfast Christmas morning and play with toys or games, especially electronic video games for hours on end. All of a sudden, my 8am breakfast turns into 12 pm lunch and I am so excited that my Mom would remind me, "Ok, you have to stop playing to eat something."

Now take Reed's position in doing something he adores. He could easily lose track of time or eating, especially if he dogs were doing well on a hunt and something happened where they got off the trail and into danger. A bird hunt is much more involved than a walk.

Satch

Based on this comment, “Somebody out there in the community knows something about this case,” detective Cody Loughy told reporters in 2010." (Missing in Utah: Reed Jeppson simply vanished Pt. 2 | ABC4 Utah), I lean 75% towards abduction, 25% towards Reed and his dogs fell into a cave or some kind of hole and never made it out. I reached out to reporter Marcos Ortiz last month to see what happened to the police update he mentioned in his broadcast but never received a reply.

Based on this comment, “Somebody out there in the community knows something about this case,” detective Cody Loughy told reporters in 2010." (Missing in Utah: Reed Jeppson simply vanished Pt. 2 | ABC4 Utah), I lean 75% towards abduction, 25% towards Reed and his dogs fell into a cave or some kind of hole and never made it out. I reached out to reporter Marcos Ortiz last month to see what happened to the police update he mentioned in his broadcast but never received a reply.

It is fascinating to hear and see the different perspectives on this case. For a detective to say, "Somebody out there knows something" I would really like for him to elaborate on what he knows, or why he feels that way, This comment in his view, and I think in user Chart's view shows that either somebody saw something, or somebody did something concerning what happened to Reed, The other perspectives with him going missing through an accident, animal, or nature danger, well, nobody would have to see that.

Thank you Chart 75, for reaching out to Mr, Ortiz. Too bad he never replied back. Would love an insider for this case! Even the friend or witness who last saw Reed alive that day!

Satch

Here are reasons I came up with why the detective may have stated "Somebody out there knows something:"
  • Lacking a total lack of evidence of Reed or his dogs for the last 57+ years, the police may feel Reed was abducted but have nothing to go on and are looking for any kind of clue to come in
  • Someone, a witness, prisoner, friend/acquaintance/family member of the perpetrator, notified the police that they know something, but are afraid or unwilling to disclose it
  • The police are trying a psychological approach, figuring whoever abducted Reed is aging and might be willing to confess to the crime to clear their conscience before they die
  • The police are hoping to trigger a memory in someone. For example: "my husband (or dad, son) was gone for hours that day and acted strangely when he came home but wouldn't explain why"
There could be other reasons. Perhaps an ex-law enforcement officer would be willing to share what's behind a statement like that?

I'm with you Satch, I would love to hear from the last person to see Reed that day, or an insider, and especially what the police know. Reed has been gone a long time. If he was abducted by someone in their mid 20's, that person would be in their 80's now (if they are still alive).

Here are reasons I came up with why the detective may have stated "Somebody out there knows something:"
  • Lacking a total lack of evidence of Reed or his dogs for the last 57+ years, the police may feel Reed was abducted but have nothing to go on and are looking for any kind of clue to come in
  • Someone, a witness, prisoner, friend/acquaintance/family member of the perpetrator, notified the police that they know something, but are afraid or unwilling to disclose it
  • The police are trying a psychological approach, figuring whoever abducted Reed is aging and might be willing to confess to the crime to clear their conscience before they die
  • The police are hoping to trigger a memory in someone. For example: "my husband (or dad, son) was gone for hours that day and acted strangely when he came home but wouldn't explain why"
There could be other reasons. Perhaps an ex-law enforcement officer would be willing to share what's behind a statement like that?

I'm with you Satch, I would love to hear from the last person to see Reed that day, or an insider, and especially what the police know. Reed has been gone a long time. If he was abducted by someone in their mid 20's, that person would be in their 80's now (if they are still alive).

Great thoughts Chart!
Sadly, the clock is ticking on this case, because if Reed was abducted, that person would likely be in the 80's now. A friend or acquaintance of Reed's age only about five years younger in their 70's. The youngest people now in their 60's.

I understand your reasoning and agree why LE is taking this approach. I think about Reed very very often. His family and friends need closure!

Satch

What about this possibility? One dog falls down an abandoned mineshaft or abandoned well. Reed falls, trying to rescue that dog. The other dog simply doesn’t make its way home.

I think that there’s no reason at all to assume that the dogs would certainly have found their way home.

All this entirely my speculation.

What about this possibility? One dog falls down an abandoned mineshaft or abandoned well. Reed falls, trying to rescue that dog. The other dog simply doesn’t make its way home.

I think that there’s no reason at all to assume that the dogs would certainly have found their way home.

Statistics on mine shafts in Salt Lake City, Utah:

https://thediggings.com/usa/utah/salt-lake-ut035

Google searches for Mine Shaft images here:

mine shafts - Google Search

Satch

I think that's the most likely scenario if Reed wasn't abducted, although I don't see any mines close by (thanks for the map @Satch). There could be a ravine, or natural crevice/hole in the ground that they could have fallen into. Mountain lions could have had a den not far from Reed's house, a bear less likely. The dogs could have jumped on a scent and chased an animal back to its den, meeting their demise. It's about 2.5 miles to the mouth of Emigration Canyon (north of where Reed was last spotted), or 2 miles to Spring Canyon (almost dead east from Reed's house), both of which could support mountain lions although Emigration Canyon has water whereas Spring Canyon does not (I know, Spring Canyon is an odd name if there is no water there).

Wasatch Hollow Park is just to the west of Reed's house (.5 miles) and could easily entertain a mountain lion as well. Wasatch Hollow Park - Google Maps I know the eyewitness account has Reed to the east of their house by the old St Mary's, but what if he went west?

Does anyone know which areas were searched back in the 60's? I would like to see another search party organized, but it might be a moot point depending on what the police know.

I think that's the most likely scenario if Reed wasn't abducted, although I don't see any mines close by (thanks for the map @Satch). There could be a ravine, or natural crevice/hole in the ground that they could have fallen into. Mountain lions could have had a den not far from Reed's house, a bear less likely. The dogs could have jumped on a scent and chased an animal back to its den, meeting their demise. It's about 2.5 miles to the mouth of Emigration Canyon (north of where Reed was last spotted), or 2 miles to Spring Canyon (almost dead east from Reed's house), both of which could support mountain lions although Emigration Canyon has water whereas Spring Canyon does not (I know, Spring Canyon is an odd name if there is no water there).

Wasatch Hollow Park is just to the west of Reed's house (.5 miles) and could easily entertain a mountain lion as well. Wasatch Hollow Park - Google Maps I know the eyewitness account has Reed to the east of their house by the old St Mary's, but what if he went west?

Does anyone know which areas were searched back in the 60's? I would like to see another search party organized, but it might be a moot point depending on what the police know.

Reed's youngest brother Keith, remembers that they searched "every cave." He was eight at the time. An eight year old could generalize "cave" to be a "mine-shaft" "well" several areas of territory where wild animals could roam.

I can't see how an active Search and Rescue ( S&R) would or could go into an active animal's den, even to look for a missing person. You would have to have all kinds of wildlife and animal trainer personnel as part of a team to do that, with huge risk. Is there are known process where trained people such as S & R could go into a live den, while minimizing risks when doing a missing person's search? What areas would they have to map as "off limits" for their own personal safety and protection? Another question is for lets say lions, how often do their dens stay active?

Satch

Satch,

I wonder where all of those caves were, and how would you know that you searched "every cave?" It makes it sound as if there were a lot of caves. The story indicates they searched in the mountains, not close to home. That's a big area and I don't see how it would be possible to search every single one.

No answers, just a lot of questions...

Satch,

I wonder where all of those caves were, and how would you know that you searched "every cave?" It makes it sound as if there were a lot of caves. The story indicates they searched in the mountains, not close to home. That's a big area and I don't see how it would be possible to search every single one.

No answers, just a lot of questions...

I want to try to take a look at that statistical information with the interactive map more closely. Trying to figure out how many caves or potential animal dens would be near the Jeppson's home.

Satch

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but there are rattlers in the foothills of Salt Lake. Going east out of Salt Lake on Emigration Canyon Road there is a Rattlesnake Hollow and Rattlesnake Point. Red Butte Reservoir is to the NE and also has a Rattlesnake Gulch. I think there is a reason they were named after rattlesnakes. Forbid that Reed and his dogs fell into a snake pit but there is that possibility.

There are other topo maps out there that are accessible online, including this one: Get Maps | topoView (usgs.gov)
Click anywhere on the map it and will show the detailed maps that are available off to the right. Click on the one you want to look at, and once the map pops up, you can zoom in on it.

The Ft Douglas 1950 map (just to the north of the U of U) is good, as is the Sugarhouse 1954 map. The Sugarhouse clearly shows St Mary's on the map. Reed's street is unmarked, but it is on the map, located approximately 1.25 miles dead west of St Mary's.

There is an old quarry dead east of Ft Douglas, and there is also Limekiln, but I think that's too far north. That doesn't preclude other unmarked mines, pits, caves or natural holes that Reed could have fallen in.

If the dogs were on the scent of something, they could have traveled a few miles with Reed trying to keep up. Hypothermia would have been a big threat to Reed after a few hours since this was late October. It is unlikely they wouldn't have found him and the dogs, but as the article Satch posted shows (post #84), it's not unheard of for hunters to go missing and not be found for decades.

I'm still sitting at 75% abduction/25% falling in a hole, pit, mine, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennyboo
Back