UT UT - Reed Jeppson, 15, Salt Lake City, 11 Oct 1964

There are other topo maps out there that are accessible online, including this one: Get Maps | topoView (usgs.gov)
Click anywhere on the map it and will show the detailed maps that are available off to the right. Click on the one you want to look at, and once the map pops up, you can zoom in on it.

The Ft Douglas 1950 map (just to the north of the U of U) is good, as is the Sugarhouse 1954 map. The Sugarhouse clearly shows St Mary's on the map. Reed's street is unmarked, but it is on the map, located approximately 1.25 miles dead west of St Mary's....

Have you ever tried this method of map searching?

LINK:

How To Map Dowse | Canadian Society of Dowsers

What if Reed was on his way back home and his dogs either went, or were enticed into someone's backyard where a crime of opportunity took place? Based on what we know of Reed, maybe he took the same route every Sunday, passing the same houses in the neighborhood. The neighborhood to the east is older than Reed's by a few years. Did someone intentionally lure him and the dogs into the backyard, then the basement, never to be seen again? Maybe a dog hater, crazy neighbor or sex offender?

What if Reed was on his way back home and his dogs either went, or were enticed into someone's backyard where a crime of opportunity took place? Based on what we know of Reed, maybe he took the same route every Sunday, passing the same houses in the neighborhood. The neighborhood to the east is older than Reed's by a few years. Did someone intentionally lure him and the dogs into the backyard, then the basement, never to be seen again? Maybe a dog hater, crazy neighbor or sex offender?

That's a great point Chart,

It's pretty certain that with Reed's Eagle Scout experiences and being an astute outdoors guy that he would certainly be familiar with his neighborhood and the natural dangers of caves, wells, and rivers and lakes within the area. It's not like these things changed from one day to the next. Reed had probably done dog walks and bird hunts for months to a few years.

I don't think that Reed would be easily spoofed, but the dogs could have been startled by a wild animal and took off into danger. However, there is another equal danger the danger of false trust. Someone exactly like you said Chart, knows the routes and the paths that Reed took to walk his dogs. The dog hater, crazy neighbor, or creepy pedophile

A creep masquerading as a nice guy that Reed knows from church? One example of possible "False Trust." Mrs. Jeppson was extremely religious and devoted to the Latter Day Saints Church. With so many kids, the Jeppson's were a family devoted to kinship, helping, and community. It would be very possible somebody wanted to exploit a friendly likeable easy-going kid. Well the Jeppson's had something like 13 kids. Terrifying to think, but yes, a sick nut could do something really terrible, and Reed could have been a target.

Utah has tons of strong believers of the Mormon faith, We see so many cases of pedophile/clergy abuse of kids. Get the kids far enough away, do something terrible to them. Hide or dispose all evidence, while all the time you lovable "Pastor Mike" from the local church whom everybody loves and no one suspects a thing has gotten away with abduction and murder.. Yes, it is possible that Reed was taken by someone he knew, who has a strong sense of trust within the community who would be the last person you would suspect would abduct and kill him. What if something like this really happened?

Satch

Satch, I think you summed it up with the words "false trust." Perhaps a friend of the family, or just a wacko that told Reed he had something for Reed's dad in the basement, and yes, bring your dogs too. Once inside, there would be no way to escape.

It's still a slim possibility that Reed was lured into a car or truck with the dogs under the same false pretense. Maybe it was under the guise that there was a terrible accident, and the perp would take Reed and the dogs home or something like that, but I think the dogs make that less likely.

There aren't that many houses between the Jeppson home and Wasatch Blvd. I wonder if the police ever did a door-to-door canvas, or had any potential suspects that lived nearby? Every neighborhood has a weirdo, and everyone in the neighborhood knows who that is.

It sure does not sound like the left to go hunting with the dogs based on what he was wearing and the lack of a gun. Also, hunting on Sunday was not allowed in many states back then. No idea if that was the case in 1964 in Utah.

Last edited:
It sure does not sound like the left to go hunting with the dogs based on what he was wearing and the lack of a gun. Also, hunting on Sunday was not allowed in many states back then. No idea if that was the case in 1964 in Utah.
Just guessing here, but considering it’s Utah and there are still a lot of things not allowed (or open) on Sundays, you’re probably on the right track.

There is no indication that Reed was going hunting, only that he was taking his dogs for a walk before their Sunday dinner (lunch for most people). Salt Lake was indeed under a Blue Law back in the 60's, and it was very quiet on Sunday afternoons with most folks remaining inside after returning from church. Outside of Chick-fil-A and the state run liquor stores being closed, I think most stores have the option of being open on Sunday in today's Salt Lake.

There is no indication that Reed was going hunting, only that he was taking his dogs for a walk before their Sunday dinner (lunch for most people). Salt Lake was indeed under a Blue Law back in the 60's, and it was very quiet on Sunday afternoons with most folks remaining inside after returning from church. Outside of Chick-fil-A and the state run liquor stores being closed, I think most stores have the option of being open on Sunday in today's Salt Lake.

I keep going over and over this in my mind. What could have been missed in the original investigation? I know that there are people that go missing for often times years before they are found, and in some cases are never found.

Than we have the "False Trust" abduction theory. I want to know more about the neighbor who said to LE, "I hope they found the guy who killed Reed." The reporter said that he kind of had a smile on his face when he said that. And that he was a known pedophile. Did they ever release his name?

What was he convicted of if anything? Was he really a known pedophile, or was this just a rumor? This falls in line with what that detective said in the video, "Somebody knows something." But there is no evidence as to where Reed went, or why he left.

Some jurisdictions, especially back in 1964 were very apathetic to missing person's cases. A lot of times, you had to wait a minimum of 24 hours to report a missing person. According to the SLCUPD, there was a lot of investigation and neighboring states got involved. I think if we could get our hands on a smoking gun, we can find out what happened to Reed.

Satch

Well, talking about what could have been missed, I went back over the Marcos Ortiz Justice File Report again (The Justice Files: Reed Jeppson simply vanished | ABC4 Utah), and this jumped off the page:
(BBM)
"The case went cold after years of investigation. In 2010 it was reopened but there was little development. Two years later, police received a tip of bones that were found in a gully near where Jeppson once lived.

“Because of the nature of the case I can’t get into that specifically,” officer Josh Ashdown told reporters in 2012. “But enough of a tip that it was worth coming out here with some cadaver dogs and digging.”"

Obviously, the bones that were found were not human (or that would have been reported), but were the bones of Reed's dogs found at some point? It would be impossible to prove that they were Reed's dogs unless they had dog tags/licenses on a collar, but if the bones of two dogs were found together so close to the Jeppson home, that would be strong circumstantial evidence. And was the tip anonymous? And where did the known pedo live? If they took cadaver dogs to the gully ten years ago, could they re-search the neighborhood, especially the backyards of the homes in close proximity to the Jeppson home with cadaver dogs?

Well, talking about what could have been missed, I went back over the Marcos Ortiz Justice File Report again (The Justice Files: Reed Jeppson simply vanished | ABC4 Utah), and this jumped off the page:
(BBM)
"The case went cold after years of investigation. In 2010 it was reopened but there was little development. Two years later, police received a tip of bones that were found in a gully near where Jeppson once lived.

“Because of the nature of the case I can’t get into that specifically,” officer Josh Ashdown told reporters in 2012. “But enough of a tip that it was worth coming out here with some cadaver dogs and digging.”"

Obviously, the bones that were found were not human (or that would have been reported), but were the bones of Reed's dogs found at some point? It would be impossible to prove that they were Reed's dogs unless they had dog tags/licenses on a collar, but if the bones of two dogs were found together so close to the Jeppson home, that would be strong circumstantial evidence. And was the tip anonymous? And where did the known pedo live? If they took cadaver dogs to the gully ten years ago, could they re-search the neighborhood, especially the backyards of the homes in close proximity to the Jeppson home with cadaver dogs?

Yea, didn't they say that they were animal bones, but they didn't go into specifics as to what kind of animal? Yes, where did the known pedophile live? I wish LE could go into specifics! If Reed was abducted and killed, ir is almost certain that his murderer is dead or his now in his 80's-90's. And if Reed died of nature danger or wilderness injury, it is time for his remains to be found so that this case can be given closure and put to rest. LE is not helping the case by not saying what they know. If this was within the scope of time where the murder suspect would still be alive, I could understand not wanting to go into specifics. But not when so many years have gone by. If LE knows and is not telling IMO, we may never know what happened here. Unless he died of exposure and some hunter or hiker comes across his remains.

Satch

An interview with Reed's brother Jon (long)

I have not finished watching it yet, but it includes home family videos. It is mainly about the whole family's life and Jon's devotion to God and spiritual fulfillment.

Reed's case is talked about at around 16:42. Originally, Jon misspeaks and says October 1963, but than later corrects himself. Two shockers learned:

A LE detective had originally believed that Jon knew something about Reed's disappearance implying that Jon knew where Reed was.

Reed's Dad Edward, was so distraught over not knowing what happened to Reed, that he was driven to suicide a little more than a year later.

Also, Reed and Jon were inseparable, like the whole family:

Note, I can not get the video to start at the beginning, so you will have to move the slider where you want to start.

Satch

Last edited:
This may have been posted before,

Another video about Reed's case that makes some good points. Uses the incorrect October 12, 1964 date. (Actual date October 11, 1964) But still good questions, and the number to contact SLCUPD. (Salt Lake City, Utah's Police Department for tips.)

Satch

This may have been posted before,

Another video about Reed's case that makes some good points. Uses the incorrect October 12, 1964 date. (Actual date October 11, 1964) But still good questions, and the number to contact SLCUPD. (Salt Lake City, Utah's Police Department for tips.)

Satch

IMO, This video starts right off with a lot of wrong and confusing information so I quit watching.

The vlogger says that Reed told his sister he was going for a walk for a half hour.

This is what the sister said:

"Reed changed his clothes, came into the kitchen and was opening up some dog food, and I said, 'Where are you going?' He said, 'I'm just going to go out and feed the dogs.' I said, 'Well, hurry back because we're going to have dinner in a half hour.' He said, 'I'll be right back,' and we never saw him again," she said.​

After 48 years, woman still has hope missing brother will be found

What did you hear of interest?

all imo

Hm. Interesting. This is just my opinion, I could be wrong because I'm a dog owner, but not a breeder, trainer, or anything having to do with professional dog ownership, but isn't feeding a dog different than walking a dog? It is for me, but my dog's strictly a pet.

An interview with Reed's brother Jon (long)

I have not finished watching it yet, but it includes home family videos. It is mainly about the whole family's life and Jon's devotion to God and spiritual fulfillment.

Reed's case is talked about at around 16:42. Originally, Jon misspeaks and says October 1963, but than later corrects himself. Two shockers learned:

A LE detective had originally believed that Jon knew something about Reed's disappearance implying that Jon knew where Reed was.

Reed's Dad Edward, was so distraught over not knowing what happened to Reed, that he was driven to suicide a little more than a year later.

Also, Reed and Jon were inseparable, like the whole family:

Note, I can not get the video to start at the beginning, so you will have to move the slider where you want to start.

Satch
Satch, thanks for posting that video. I was unaware of it. I had no idea that LE suspected the brother or that his father took his own life a year after the disappearance. That's brutal.

Jon mentions the gully where they used to play at least twice in the video. I think it is less likely that foul play happened in the gully, but it is still a possibility. Reed and his dogs probably spent a lot of time down there. The gully is in the opposite direction than where Reed was last reportedly last spotted. I still lean towards an odd ball neighbor.

Maybe the spring thaw will unveil a needed clue.

IMO, This video starts right off with a lot of wrong and confusing information so I quit watching.

The vlogger says that Reed told his sister he was going for a walk for a half hour.

This is what the sister said:

"Reed changed his clothes, came into the kitchen and was opening up some dog food, and I said, 'Where are you going?' He said, 'I'm just going to go out and feed the dogs.' I said, 'Well, hurry back because we're going to have dinner in a half hour.' He said, 'I'll be right back,' and we never saw him again," she said.​

After 48 years, woman still has hope missing brother will be found

What did you hear of interest?

all imo

Nothing new,

However, I applaud the efforts of those who are putting the word out about Reed, because they are all trying to solve and bring closure to his case. We just want to know what happened here!

Satch

Wonder if the huge St Mary’s with all its beloved nooks and crannies was ever searched.

Any comments from the caretaker of St Mary’s who occupied the, still there, rock house did he see anything?

I keep seeing reports of RJ “walking his dogs” which implies on a leash, imo.

One had been gone previously for two weeks which would concern me enough to put at least that one on a leash.

Two active, under training, purebred hunting dogs, one a puppy, I can’t imagine not having them on a leash at least until they got to open space to run.

[Where was the dog for two weeks? The area looks inhospitable for a short haired, slender type dog unless someone was taking care of it?]

It seems feeding then walking the dogs the ½ mile or so both ways to St Mary’s, even with no play time, would take too long to be back to wash up for dinner. I don’t know about their church but our church makes you hungry and after church dinner is eagerly attended.

So what if someone says to RJ “How’s the training going? Hop in and let’s see them work over at St Mary’s.”

By vehicle RJ would know there would be time to get there show off and be back for dinner.

Do we know if there was any indication the dogs were fed the cans he had opened for them?

Was the food still there or empty bowls?

I know a trainer that always feeds his dogs after training sessions so they are hungry to work for the reward of a training treat.

Good work Satch on this thread for Reed.

Wonder if the huge St Mary’s with all its beloved nooks and crannies was ever searched.

Any comments from the caretaker of St Mary’s who occupied the, still there, rock house did he see anything?

I keep seeing reports of RJ “walking his dogs” which implies on a leash, imo.

One had been gone previously for two weeks which would concern me enough to put at least that one on a leash.

Two active, under training, purebred hunting dogs, one a puppy, I can’t imagine not having them on a leash at least until they got to open space to run.

[Where was the dog for two weeks? The area looks inhospitable for a short haired, slender type dog unless someone was taking care of it?]

It seems feeding then walking the dogs the ½ mile or so both ways to St Mary’s, even with no play time, would take too long to be back to wash up for dinner. I don’t know about their church but our church makes you hungry and after church dinner is eagerly attended.

So what if someone says to RJ “How’s the training going? Hop in and let’s see them work over at St Mary’s.”

By vehicle RJ would know there would be time to get there show off and be back for dinner.

Do we know if there was any indication the dogs were fed the cans he had opened for them?

Was the food still there or empty bowls?

I know a trainer that always feeds his dogs after training sessions so they are hungry to work for the reward of a training treat.

Good work Satch on this thread for Reed.
St Mary's was still open as a high school until 1969 (67 students in the class of 67). It was a large building and probably had lots of nooks and crannies to hide in, or hide something in, as you state. I've read nothing to indicate the school or grounds were searched, but one of the MSM articles mentioned the family, LE, and search parties searched all over the foothills for weeks. That would be a good question to ask LE. Was there a caretaker in the rock house in 1964? Full time, part time, male, female? What about maintenance workers? There should still be living alumni that attended in 1964. Would they remember LE searching? Did any of the students or teachers from St Mary's see or hear anything? If a high school boy with two dogs showed up at an all girls school, I think someone would have noticed. They may not have had TV's or radios to hear the news, but if LE came knocking, word would get around.

Reed may have had the dogs on a leash, or perhaps only the puppy if the oldest dog was well trained. He certainly could have let them off to roam near St Mary's since it was open space between Wasatch Blvd and the school. It's been mentioned before but the dogs could have been spooked or taken off to chase a wild animal. Or not. I would certainly like to read the case file to see exactly what was searched. I don't know if Reed was initially treated more of a runaway, or missing person. There is mention than the SLPD notified LE in other states to be on the lookout for Reed, thinking he could have run away. Was that their focus and did they miss clues close to home?

Reed's sister mentioned “He comes into the kitchen and opens up a can of dog food,” The Justice Files: Reed Jeppson simply vanished | ABC4 Utah @Satch has brought up the "friend" that saw Reed walking with his dogs. It would be fantastic to hear directly what that friend saw, or at least read what the "friend" told LE. Were the dogs leashed? Which way was Reed traveling? Were there any other cars or trucks in the area? Salt Lake was like a ghost town on Sunday afternoon in Salt Lake during the 60's, so any vehicle may have been suspicious.

I don't have an issue with the timeline of Reed saying he would be back in 30 minutes. He was an athlete and may have liked to run the dogs back home if he took the same walk every week. Or, he simply could have lost track of time. What's safer than a boy with his two dogs in Salt Lake in the early 1960's? It was a big family, and I didn't get the impression they panicked until they arrived home after their afternoon meeting and Reed still wasn't there, and didn't call LE until ~1 am.

Agree Chart,

With Reed being so responsible, and knowing the area, probably like the back of his hand, the causes for concern for the family did not likely occur until later that evening. An Eagle Scout and athlete with astute knowledge of the outdoors, andsomeone with Reed's personality and background is going to be more responsible and aware than most grown men.

German Shorthair Pointers are runners. Very steady runners whom I learned do not always listen to owners commands if they are fixated on a target. If this was a nature danger, I think first something happened to them and than something happened to Reed trying to save his dogs. Reed loved his dogs, and helping people. His caring and aiding instincts would have kicked in, if a person or animal was sick or hurt. Eagle Scouts are trained in stranger-danger. If those dogs were in danger, Reed is certainly going to go into overdrive to save them.

I want to know from Jon, who shared paper route duties with Reed, if he remembers any strange people on their route that the brothers felt apprehensive about? Reed's sister Suzanne thinks that Reed was taken by a pedophile. There was a guy in the neighborhood whom LE questioned. He asked, "Did they find out who killed the Jepson boy?" The guy had a bit of a smirk on his face when he said that. The investigator said, "What do you mean. "killed?" Didn't this guy say something like, "If they don't know now, they will probably never know?" They questioned him and he was cleaned. Where did he live? Was he a customer on Reed/Jon's paper route? What made him a known pedophile? Was he convicted of any pedophile crimes? If I was in LE, I would be looking at this guy like there is no tomorrow. But if they don't have evidence, how long can they suspect someone?

The Jeppson's were certainly well-known, And with 13-kids there could be a window of opportunity for a neighborhood creep to do something to them. We have to know more about that friend or witness that saw Reed walking his dogs! Did they have a conversation? About what? Or did the friend just see Reed and his dogs, and wave or something, and they never talked? I believe the witness is credible, so we know, based on that, Reed got to the school.

When Reed would walk his dogs, how far would he walk them? Would he take the same route each day or go in different directions? I wonder if one, or both, of the dogs got away from Reed and was hit by a car? Reed, in a moment of tears, panic and crisis intervention, flags down a passing motorist who offers to take the dogs to an emergency vet. They all get in the car, and this "helper" turns into "horror" and whatever happened, escalated when they all drove away. In other words, Reed panicked and lost his astute Eagle Scout and "stranger danger" awareness, because one, or both dogs got hurt. And Reed met up with a "bad ride?"

Here are all possibilities that I can think of that happened to Reed Jeppson: (This list is not in a probability order.)

1.) Dogs got spooked by a wild animal, took off got injured or killed in a fight. Reed tries to save them and can't. He falls in a mine-shaft, cave, or well. All die from injuries and/or the elements

1.a) (Less likely) Somehow the dogs are both killed, and Reed is an absolute panic and tears that the animals that he loved more than anything he ever owned in his life are gone. Distraught he takes off and is never seen again. Given the devotion to his family, this is very unlikely. But its out there because when people are ripped apart inside, they may do things that they would never do under normal conditions. But Reed was much too kind and loving to his family and friends to leave them.

2.) Dog(s) is/are hurt in an accident. Reed tracks down a motorist for help. Driver is an evil man who abducts Reed and the dogs off the false promise of taking them to the vet,

3.) A known pedophile who likely knew Reed and the dogs sees Reed, lures him inside his house with "false trust." Something terrible happens to all of them, and the sicko can escape late at night dumping the evidence anywhere in the lakes or mountains of Utah.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back