VA - Boy, 6, in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #3

sds71

Reaction score
Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew says the shooting was NOT accidental, this was intentional.

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
IANA teacher so maybe one will weigh in on the firing. My understanding from articles is that Abby tendered her resignation to Dept of HR of her position as a teacher for NNPS on March 13, 2023. (and who would blame her?!)

Then they sent her a notice that effective June 12th her contract period of employment was concluded.

Again, I know nothing of teachers, their contracts, any of it, so bear with my ignorance. Did she NOT put them on notice back in March that she had no intention of renewing her contract? Sorry for my confusion but I am lost.

Fired at. And Fired?
Seriously IDK who or what to believe about the new WAVY news story.
"WAVY obtained a copy of an email sent to Zwerner on May 22 that states “NNPS has processed a separation of employment for you effective the close of business 06/12/2023.”"
^ imo reads like it could apply to either teacher's voluntary resig. or school terminating teacher.
ETA: Attorney of NN 1st grade teacher shot by student says she was fired. In email from Zwerner to division: ‘I wish to resign’

If school admin. did terminate her, well, Snark Alert

If teacher had merely stepped aside when student fired handgun --- as required by unwritten policy of Richneck Elementary --- she would not have been injured, and thus the school admin. would not have been forced to terminate her.

IOW, it was her own fault.

IANA teacher so maybe one will weigh in on the firing. My understanding from articles is that Abby tendered her resignation to Dept of HR of her position as a teacher for NNPS on March 13, 2023. (and who would blame her?!)

Then they sent her a notice that effective June 12th her contract period of employment was concluded.

Again, I know nothing of teachers, their contracts, any of it, so bear with my ignorance. Did she NOT put them on notice back in March that she had no intention of renewing her contract? Sorry for my confusion but I am lost.

That was my understanding of the article. She wrote in an email in March that she wished to resign. The rest was the district just processing that. She wasn't fired.

And the workman's comp is unfortunate, but not uncommon. One of my parapros was injured by a student and was out for the duration of the surgery and recovery and was placed on workman's comp. I think she may have used some of her sick days for full pay in there but didn't want to burn through all of them. AZ refused to accept workman's comp so the district followed protocol and placed her on FMLA.

The district/building admin did A LOT of things wrong but this article is just kind of inflammatory with the claims that she was fired and hasn't been paid since February.

That was my understanding of the article. She wrote in an email in March that she wished to resign. The rest was the district just processing that. She wasn't fired.

And the workman's comp is unfortunate, but not uncommon. One of my parapros was injured by a student and was out for the duration of the surgery and recovery and was placed on workman's comp. I think she may have used some of her sick days for full pay in there but didn't want to burn through all of them. AZ refused to accept workman's comp so the district followed protocol and placed her on FMLA.

The district/building admin did A LOT of things wrong but this article is just kind of inflammatory with the claims that she was fired and hasn't been paid since February.
Thank you, that was sort of my take away. I agree, she has been treated very poorly by the district and admins. As to the WC situation, I don't know many people who have ever had to apply that DIDN'T have issues with their claims being processed correctly and timely. But fired seems, er not accurate, and yea pretty inflammatory.

I don't understand why she didn't accept workman's comp!

I taught for 25 years, but this is NY and our contract is very different than what I see happening in Virginia.

We have a very strong teachers’ union, and this tragedy would have been handled very differently.

I‘m pretty certain that Abby resigned and was not fired.

When it comes to compensation from the employer, in NY an on-the-job injury (that was not the teacher’s fault) would result in 3/4 pay for life, without going back to work.

It‘s normally not that easy to prove, but Abby’s case is cut and dry.

IMO

I don't understand why she didn't accept workman's comp!

because being shot doesn't fit with everyday accidents, if she took the comp so could not sue for the money she deserves.
That's my layman's understanding of it.
Worker's comp wouldn't pay for her surgery, time off, or the fact she is wounded and it impact her entire life. She'll need therapy to deal with PTSD issues after being shot point-blank by a child! I wouldn't be able to return to teaching I'd have serious trust issues after that.

I wonder if little boy was drug tested for THC ? Was he ever ingesting edible krispie treats and or gummies (which were found in the back seat)? We will never know...

Also, now we can maybe figure out how/why they bypassed Dejas' mother, and moved on to grandpa for custody....

Kid didn't stand a chance at improving with that upbringing, IMO
Bbm.
Yes, I wonder that as well !
If he tested positive, that should be enough to remove him permanently from her custody.
Imo.

• Zwerner's attorney has called it 'a firing' despite an email from Zwerner to admin informing them of her resignation in March
  • Lawyer Jeffrey Breit says that the district attempted to force Zwerner into taking workers comp and then fired her when she refused
My take on this bit of misinformation via the DM; is that Ms. Zwerner may have feared if she took worker's comp., the school district may have further 'screwed her over' -- to put it in layman's terms ?
As in: a settlement from the school district that would not have even begun to cover her medical, never mind the emotional trauma and harm to her career ?
How can she want to return to teaching ?
M00.

Last edited:
Bbm.
Yes, I wonder that as well !
If he tested positive, that should be enough to remove him permanently from her custody.
Imo.
Should and would are two entirely different things, particularly in this town, as evidenced by the bizzare way this entire case has gone from day one.

Besides, IF THC is present in his system, I am sure the mother will argue a) she keeps it locked up and has no idea how he accessed it (much like the gun we know for sure now was not locked up) or b) it is medicinal and actually helps calm his behavioral issues.

[please note all of the above is meant to be drenched with the heaviest sarcasm possible.]

Should and would are two entirely different things, particularly in this town, as evidenced by the bizzare way this entire case has gone from day one.

Besides, IF THC is present in his system, I am sure the mother will argue a) she keeps it locked up and has no idea how he accessed it (much like the gun we know for sure now was not locked up) or b) it is medicinal and actually helps calm his behavioral issues.

[please note all of the above is meant to be drenched with the heaviest sarcasm possible.]
Love your last sentence ! ;)

I want to think this boy is improving with his great grandpa, but am not certain if he (the g.g.) will admit it , if it happens that the child is not improving or even getting worse ?
I fear for other children and teachers if he is placed back in the same school, or a different one ?
Even if the g.g. makes sure there are no guns in his home, this child had hit others with a belt, iirc.
A sharpened pencil can be used to stab another student in the arm, etc.

A possible scenario and speculation only : Maybe the next school will try to prevent his misbehaving, but cautioning his next teacher and the fellow students (if and when he returns to school) to not upset this boy is not the answer.
Imo.
M00.
Ymmv.

Last edited:
Oh my. I guess add not doing background checks for adults in classrooms for NNPS (since previous docs said father at times would accompany child to class).
Bbm.
Imagine finding out that this man was sitting in the classroom with the other kids. :eek:
I guess we know have an idea as to where this boy learned how to assault others, and reasons for his uncontrollable rage.
M00.

Can anyone summarise please? I can't access the link from the UK.
TIA!
Edit: I'm posting from my phone so didn't see the full link address at first - think I've got the gist of it now.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01
Back