VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
suzannec4444 said:
Hi
He was hitchhiking away from the concert?and away from Virginia?So he might not have been from virginia?Richard,Trying2id where do you think he was from?Maybe he was reported missing later after he died.When someone did not hear from him in awhile. suzanne
I do not know where he was from or where he was going. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there were a lot of leads and possibilities, placing him at various different states. I have a feeling that he was pretty much a drifter with no exact destination or schedule to keep.

He was not following the Grateful Dead, as they had headed north to Michigan and then to Pittsburg. The hitch hiker was headed south the entire length of Virginia, but stayed with the driver when he turned west toward north central North Carolina and then South Carolina. So he was probably not going to Georgia or Florida. If that were the case, his better bet would have been to head further south on I-95.

In the course of posting his case and contacting people all over the country about him, I also learned of other people who were looking for relatives or friends who were "deadheads" and who were missing. At least, they were missing from home. It makes you wonder. If a person lives a life of travel and does not keep in touch with his/her family, the tendancy of the family to begin a search for him/her might lessen after a while.

The thing was he didn't have anything with him. Would the driver really want a dirty guy going home with him. Two days at a concert, you have to smell like a dead fish.

PonderingThings said:
I believe he's been featured on some Grateful Dead Fan club sites.

Paradise do you know how he was ruled out? DNA? Dentals?

There is a site that someone has listed all the people who have been ruled out as possible matches to this John Doe. I know I've seen it, but now I can't find it again
doh.gif
I don't know if Christopher is on that list or not.
It doesn't say how he was ruled out, but it was done by NCMEC. I PM'd you a list of the rule outs.

This fellow's eyes are the "wrong color", but there seems to be similarities. Aron Holmes Silverman went missing July 5, 1993 from Norfolk, Virginia, two years before this fellow was killed and not that far away. At 5'10", his height is in the appropriate range. He had long blonde hair. At 130 lb., he was slimmer than the deceased, but there is the two year time difference. Blue eyes vs. brown seems to be the major possible discrepency. Age seems to be about right.
Young Mr. Silverman played the guitar and apparently had a drug habit, so it doesn't seem unlikely he'd wind up at a Grateful Dead show.
Aron is No. 516DMVA on the Doe Network and NCMC No. 783972. You can read about him and see a photo at www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/silverman_aron.html.

Another missing fellow I figured is worthy of a look is Phillip Koss, who disappeared from Florida three days before the Grateful Dead began the East Coast leg of their Summer 1995 tour. Long hair, brown eyes. Seems a bit tall at six foot. He's 1389DMFL on the Doe Network.

Aron Holmes Silverman has been previously ruled out by doenetwork. There's no other information about it.

Helper Mr. Koss does look like the victim, but I suspect that the listed height of 6' would rule him out (as you mentioned).

I could only find the Charley Project and Doe Network pages on him, and they have the same information, so odds are it isn't an error.

Mr. Koss is not on the list I received about the "rule outs"

This is a big long shot... but I thought the photos looked enough like our young victim to post.

My concerns are outlined below.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/109dmca.html

127UMVA1.jpg
CHuntzinger.jpg
127UMVA2.jpg

John Doe on left & right, Curtis Huntzinger Center

Curtis Anthony Huntzinger
Missing since May 19, 1990 from Blue Lake, Humboldt County, California.
Classification: Endangered Runaway

# Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: August 23, 1975
# Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
# Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 110 pounds
# Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
# Marks, Scars: Scar on shin
# Clothing: Black jacket, blue jeans and tennis shoes
# Dentals: Available

1. Curtis disappeared in 1990. That means he would have been 19 in 1995 when John Doe was found. Age for John Doe is estimated at 16-21, so that matches.
2. I think the photo of Curtis looks like the reconstruction, especially when taking into account that it was taken 5 years before.
3. When Curtis disappeared he was listed as 5'2". Could he have grown to 5'6" while a teenager? I think so, but unsure as there is no info.
4. Both Curtis and John Doe had brown hair.
5. Curtis had hazel eyes and John Doe had brown eyes. This is possibly a listing discrepancy as I've seen brown eyes listed as Hazel before.
6. Curtis has a scar on his shin that John Doe doesn't have. How big of a scar? Could it be simply so small now, especially after a growth spurt (if it happened) that it wasn't mentioned?
7. Police think Curtis was possibly murdered by an inmate who said he killed him. The man, who lived nearby, had molested him just days before. Is it possible that Curtis ran away from California and that's why he was on the east coast?
8, Curtis is NOT on the rule out list I received.

As far as I know no one has submitted Curtis and he has not been ruled out.

PonderingThings said:
The Doe Network has updated their page on John Doe.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/127umva.html
The height has been revised to:
5'8" (5'7-5'9")
The height of 5 feet 8 inches is correct. At least that is what it was in the earliest reports that I have on the case. I am sure that the origional Doenetwork listing of 5'6" was simply a typo.

It does illustrate, however, that you can't take everything you see in print at face value when trying to make matches.

~Back on my soap box~

I would like to thank this site for not trying to make 127umva's hair red as a natural color. As I have stated the correct height in my site for him as 5"8' to 5"10' the entire time. I did a great amount of research on this young man before I ever built his site, since I believe that only the correct facts will be able to give him back his name. I have spent 100s of hours in my search and posted everything that I have found only after speaking with others to confirm what I had already been told by others. I have found that very often, the story gets changed over and over on this young man, which really makes me wonder just what is really going on. I have atleast one e-mail a week concerning possible matches for him from people that have seen his site. He is posted any and everywhere I cound find a spot to post him. I have spoken with someone that was there when he was removed from the vehicle, someone that was there when they cleaned him up, and also someone that has actual photos of him (that they will not release). I have also spoken with a member of the cold case group of a site that stated herself that his height was 5"8' and maybe closer to 5"9' if he was standing upright. LE has actually contacted me concerning this young man. PLEASE LET IT BE NOTED THAT I SPOKE WITH ALL THESE PEOPLE BEFORE I JOINED A GROUP THAT SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS. Now all I can do is pass the information that I find on to others and pray that they follow up on it.
I spent 3 months searching for who he is with the incorrect information before I decided to fire up the old cell phone and call any and every one I could for information. Of which I found that a lot is not released due to privacy issues... whose privacy are they protecting. They don't even know the answer to that question... I am only trying to give them that answer.
~Stepping down~
Thanks again for keeping his topic in this forum out there for people to see and for not changing the facts of his case.

This is a link to his site http://www.geocities.com/trying2id/JDpage.html Please take a look at it.

uhhhhh just a point of view from the other side of the soap box.

I made a post that a particular site, that many people use for research, had updated their page.

I did not offer an opinion as to whether it was a correction, or whether it was new information, simply that the page on their site was updated and what the revision was.

Since I personally am not, nor have I ever been, a Doe Network member, I have no idea what made them revise the info.

I, personally, shall think twice before sharing any such update information in the future here at websleuths though.

I know I'm pretty new here... I've been trying to catch up on all the posts in this place (big job!) and I'm nowhere in the league with even ideas as most of you people are...

But, I do see you contribute to a lot of threads. You provoke me into thinking... and thinking different things. I find your input invaluable.

Please don't let one person who apparently has their own agenda (promoting his/her own website and/or views) discourage you from participating in ANY thread...

As a newbie here, I can tell you I'd miss your views and input. You do make me stop and think a lot of the times... and all views should be welcome whether they are viable, wrong, right, etc. The more shared the more value the thread is... IMO. :blushing:

PonderingThings said:

I made a post that a particular site, that many people use for research, had updated their page.

I did not offer an opinion as to whether it was a correction, or whether it was new information, simply that the page on their site was updated and what the revision was.

Since I personally am not, nor have I ever been, a Doe Network member, I have no idea what made them revise the info.

I, personally, shall think twice before sharing any such update information in the future here at websleuths though.

Bravo, Magic Rose! I myself am a BIG fan of Pondering so would miss their insite and compassion. :blushing:

PonderingThings said:

Hang in there. I am with you. You did nothing wrong. Keep up the good work.

P.S. I had a troublesome tooth pulled yesterday. It is nice to not wake up with a mild tooth ache every day. Maybe I won't be as quick to growl as before.

Not to say that this victim is NOT Chris Temple... BUT.....
I am very close to the area where Chris Temple went missing. The area he was reportedly last seen is a very marshy area with many bogs. It is believed by many (some LE included) that he drowned in a quicksand type bog. I remember hearing that LE found one of this tennis shoes very near a bog. The kids he was partying with have all said the same thing, that he went off to go to the bathroom and never reappeared. I remember flyers being posted all over East Lansing, his parents owned a very popular shoe store in the heart of our college town. They were well liked and this case got a lot of local publicity.

amazing-sea-monkey said:
Not to say that this victim is NOT Chris Temple... BUT.....
I am very close to the area where Chris Temple went missing. The area he was reportedly last seen is a very marshy area with many bogs. It is believed by many (some LE included) that he drowned in a quicksand type bog. I remember hearing that LE found one of this tennis shoes very near a bog. The kids he was partying with have all said the same thing, that he went off to go to the bathroom and never reappeared. I remember flyers being posted all over East Lansing, his parents owned a very popular shoe store in the heart of our college town. They were well liked and this case got a lot of local publicity.
Have you started a thread on Chris? I know that there are a lot of rivers, lakes and swamps in Michigan, but quicksand? I would like to hear more about him. Doesn't sound like the circumstances would make him much of a match for this Grateful Dead Fan, however. Have you checked out the thread on Laurie Murnigham? She disappeared from Lansing in 1970. By the way, Go State!

I want to THANK those of you who posted encouraging words to me on this thread, and in PMs
blowkises.gif

amazing-sea-monkey that is terrific background, thanks for supplying it!

Pondering,
I was trying in no way to say anything that would upset you. I think it is great that you posted that the site had been updated. I have tried so many times to have things updated for this young man and no one seems to listen. I in no way what so ever meant to offend you, I too enjoy reading your post on this site. You offer a lot with no only your research but also with your opinions. We all are here for the same purpose and that is to bring families back together. My post was to thank this site and the admin here for not believing everything that is posted as the only thing that can be true. I found found that many refuse to think outside of the box. Some people that bring harm to others do not always cause demise to others and then drop them within 100 miles of where they grabbed them. Things happen and sometimes these things a very strange, therefore I find it hard to see why most want to look only "inside of the box". It is people that ponder everything and throw those thoughts out for others to think about that help to uphold our mission here and elsewhere.

Once again Pondering I am very sorry if in anyway I made you feel that I am in anyway trying to downgrade your research or opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ