VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am searching for information on a young man that has been unidentified for 10 years on June 26, 2005. He was found just west of Emporia, Virginia on June 26, 1995.

When he was found, he had shoulder length wavy hair that was a lighter brown or possibly what could be considered dark blond, which had at some point been dyed red. The red dye was believed to be temporary due to the fading of the color causing his hair to appear different shades of red, even pink in spots. His eye color is brown. He was about 5’8” to 5’10” and weighted about 160lbs to 170lbs. His left ear was pierced but he was not wearing an earring. His approximate age was 16 to 22 years of age at the time. He had a home-made tattoo of a 5 point star on his left arm. He had perfect teeth never having had any dental repairs. There were no drugs nor alcohol found in his system at the time of the accident. He was wearing blue jeans, blue FILA tennis shoes size 11 1/2, a Grateful Dead, Tour 30th Anniversary 1995 concert shirt and a necklace. His only possessions were a yellow disposable lighter, two concert ticket stubs from the Grateful Dead concert that was at RFK stadium in Washington, DC on June 25, 1995. Also included in his possession was a note that read…”To Jason, Sorry we have to go. See you around. Caroline T. and Caroline O.”

Someone has to have known this young man from somewhere. Maybe Caroline O. or Caroline T. remembers writing a note to this young man.

If anyone can help me in my search, please contact me at trying2id@yahoo.com

If anyone has any pictures from the above mentioned concert, please e-mail me copies so that I can use them to try and give him a name to go with the face.

I have two photos, if you would like a copy email me at trying2id@yahoo.com .

http://www.geocities.com/trying2id/JDpage.html

Thank you,

SL Groover

I am searching for information on a young man that has been unidentified for 10 years on June 26, 2005. He was found just west of Emporia, Virginia on June 26, 1995.

When he was found, he had shoulder length wavy hair that was a lighter brown or possibly what could be considered dark blond, which had at some point been dyed red. The red dye was believed to be temporary due to the fading of the color causing his hair to appear different shades of red, even pink in spots. His eye color is brown. He was about 5’8” to 5’10” and weighted about 160lbs to 170lbs. His left ear was pierced but he was not wearing an earring. His approximate age was 16 to 22 years of age at the time. He had a home-made tattoo of a 5 point star on his left arm. He had perfect teeth never having had any dental repairs. There were no drugs nor alcohol found in his system at the time of the accident. He was wearing blue jeans, blue FILA tennis shoes size 11 1/2, a Grateful Dead, Tour 30th Anniversary 1995 concert shirt and a necklace. His only possessions were a yellow disposable lighter, two concert ticket stubs from the Grateful Dead concert that was at RFK stadium in Washington, DC on June 25, 1995. Also included in his possession was a note that read…”To Jason, Sorry we have to go. See you around. Caroline T. and Caroline O.”

Someone has to have known this young man from somewhere. Maybe Caroline O. or Caroline T. remembers writing a note to this young man.

If anyone can help me in my search, please contact me at trying2id@yahoo.com

If anyone has any pictures from the above mentioned concert, please e-mail me copies so that I can use them to try and give him a name to go with the face.

I have two photos, if you would like a copy email me at trying2id@yahoo.com .

http://www.geocities.com/trying2id/JDpage.html

Thank you,

SL Groover

I saw a post here some time ago for this missing person in which the poster who started the thread was trying to id him and some of the members had come up with some good possibilities. Hopefully you can do a search here and have a look at what some came up with. I remember reading this one specifically because of the areas involved, I believe he was traveling to or from Florida by way of interstate 95 and the concert he attended was in DC. There was some mention at the time of Md. and Va.

I hope you can find the thread because the note he was found with indicated his name might be Jason and the two Caroline's was also looked into as a good lead.

I too have searched, high and low, for a possible match, and nothing! I really thought he was Simmons too!

There is another young man, who was also in a traffic accident, after a Grateful Dead concert (another place and date) who also hasn't been identified!

How sad. Two young people. Who died in innocent way, unidentified!

PonderingThings said:
There is another young man, who was also in a traffic accident, after a Grateful Dead concert (another place and date) who also hasn't been identified!

How sad. Two young people. Who died in innocent way, unidentified!
Who? When? and where? Do you have a link for this other unidentified? Thanks!!!

I remember a story of a young man who came up missing from a concert - went to the car for something and never returned. They had a "sighting" reported on him at a rest stop somewhere and it was reported that he was very disoriented. I think this was NC or VA. I will try to locate the story and post the link. It seems that it may have even been a Grateful Dead concert.

Let me go look around ......

If anyone looks at the Missing and Unidentified Database on Yahoo Groups, there's quite a few people who have a Greatful Dead Connection.

Bonita Bickwit
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/3dfny.html

Unidentified Female
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/11ufil.html

Bridget Lee Pendell-Williamson
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1620dfks.html

Mitchel Fred Weiser
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/2dmny.html

Douglas Stephen Simmons
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/131dmnc.html

Unidentified Male
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/127umva.html

Cengiz Han Nuray
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1193dmca.html

Unidentified Male
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/178umga.html

BINGO Paradise ....

Douglas Stephen Simmons is my guy. Thanks for an informative post!!

I'm just presenting this as possible options....

Leslie and his younger brother Shawn http://doenetwork.us/cases/593dmon.html
disappeared together 1.5 years before John Doe went to the concert.

The was no published reports that I found that indicated they ran away, or that they were abducted - they simply weren't there anymore. If they did run away that would explain why there was no missing person report lodged after the concert.

The Doe Networks report of red hair may be incorrect as it was brown with streaks of red (as in dye) in other reports.

Leslie wore braces - and John Doe had no dental restorations done. It is possible, but unlikely that it is him, for this reason.

There is a resemblence to the drawing, the stats, and timing, match... could it be Leslie?

127UMVA1.jpg
LDJones.jpg
127UMVA2.jpg

http://doenetwork.us/cases/592dmon.html

Leslie Dwayne Jones
Missing since October 23, 1993 from Wiarton, Ontario, Canada.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
* Date Of Birth: September 14, 1978
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6; 150 lbs
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; brown eyes.
* Marks, Scars: Scar on his right cheek
* Dentals: Wears braces

Circumstances of Disappearance
Leslie and his brother Shawn were last seen at their home on Cape Croker Indian Reserve near Wiarton, Ontario.

127UMVA1.jpg
SSJones.jpg

Shawn Jones (brother)

Shawn Steven Jones

Vital Statistics

* Date Of Birth: August 13, 1979
* Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
* Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 161 lbs
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair; green eyes.
* Clothing: Black t-shirt, black & red ballcap, blue jeans, grey & white nylon jacket, white "Runners"
* Dentals: Good teeth

Eyes aren't the right color, but he has "good teeth". I don't find he resembles the composite as much as his brother does.

snooty.gif
I don't think its either one.... what do you think?

The hair color is the thing. Light brown hair you can dye red, blonde, etc. without much trouble. However, with dark brown or black hair, if applied a red rinse, it wouldn't hardly show up. At best, it would just put reddish highlights in the hair.
Shawn shows a strong physical resemblence, but the hair color is a problem. All of the composites for the UID show a light brown hair color with a reddish rinse. If they knew about the rinse, then I have to assume they had evidence of the hair color, thus the hair put on the reconstruct would be close to the actual color.
There is a possibility though, because hair color often shows up as darker in pictures. Esp. school pictures which those appear to be.

Although not a "follower" of the Grateful Dead, I have been following this case for about ten years now.

The Dead's concert at JFK stadium was a particularly memorable one for a number of reasons. It was the third to last concert that they did before their leader, Jerry Garcia died. Bob Dylan opened for the group that night. Pianist Bruce Hornsby also appeared on stage with them.

During the JFK concert, there was a tremendous thunderstorm. Lightning struck three people, critically injuring one woman.

The Hitchhiker left town and headed south, evidently picked up by another young man who was a Grateful Dead fan, but who had not been to the JFK concert. Meanwhile, the Grateful Dead moved on to their next concerts, one in Michigan, and then their last together which was to be held at Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburg, PA.

By a coincidence, I happened to be traveling through western Pennsylvania just prior to that concert and was caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic caused by the large number of Grateful Dead Fans converging on Pittsburg.

I became involved in trying to learn this young man's identity, and spoke on several occasions with the Virginia State trooper assigned to the case. At one point, there seemed to be a likely match between the dead man and a man missing from upstate New York. Dental records were obtained of the missing man, and compared with the dead man's teeth by the Richmond Medical Examiner. There was no match. But during that time, many more x-rays and photos,and DNA samples were taken.

There is or was a Grateful Dead Forum website and I put this case on it back in 1996 or 97. There was a good deal of interest, and a few suggestions as to who he might be, but no final answers.

There was some discussion that he might be someone named Jason Coe (or something like Coe) who was reportedly traveling with a David Fincher. Various separate people stated that they had been from Wisconsin origionally, but that they had traveled through Arizona, Georgia, and Florida. One person stated that he had known a Jason from Wisconsin who traveled with a bulldog named "Baily". Yet another man stated that he had a set of tools in his van or motor home which belonged to a guy named Jason who was supposed to meet up with him later during the Grateful Dead 95 tour, but that he never saw him again. In September of 1994, somebody had been looking for a Jason Whitler from Indiana, who hadn't been seen in two years.

There were a lot of leads, and a lot of coincidences, but no answers.

There were some folks who mentioned other cases of Grateful Dead followers who died or went missing.

One person who suggested that "Jason" might have been a member of a group called the Wharf Rats, or something like that. The group was made up of former drug or alcohol addicts who would follow the Grateful Dead and have meetings somewhat along the line of Alcoholics Anonymous.

This case was profiled on the NBC show "Unsolved Mysteries" which aired on 7 March 1997. It generated some leads and some interest, but again, no definite answers.

The accident which killed this young man and the driver occurred on Highway 58, about three miles west of Emporia, Virginia. Knowing that the driver's destination was South Carolina, the Hitchhiker had decided to travel West through northern North Carolina, rather than getting out and heading further south on I-95.

One possibility mentioned at the time was that this unknown man might have been James Donald Kimball, born 28 Dec 1968, who had gone missing from his Oak Park, Ill home in the spring of 1993. His case was also featured on Unsolved Mysteries (19 January 1996). Kimball suffered from a schizo-affective disorder and required medication. He was reportedly seen in March of 1994 outside South Bend, Indiana by a state trooper who stated that he seemed dazed and confused.

Paradise said:
I was online yesterday and somehow got to a Utah missing persons site and I found a picture of Jack Jason Simmons. He looks like this guy, and I was wondering if this had ever been checked out? Here's the website, you can see the pic for yourself.

http://bci.utah.gov/MPC/MPCMissing.html

ok I went to the link you provided.
I don't know about the Jason Simmons link. They do look similar, but I thought I heard that he was already eliminated as a match.
Anyway, I went through and read the other postings. Did anyone happen to notice the following coincidence between two of the missing females? ( I copied their info and underlined in bold print the info I am referring to)
Is it just me, or does this strike anyone else as being a little bit weird?

http://bci.utah.gov/MPC/MPCMissing.html#simmons

Missing Endangered - Brooke Wilberger -Brooke Wilberger was last seen the morning of May 24, 2004, working at an apartment complex in Corvallis, Oregon. She was discovered missing around 10am and is missing under suspicious circumstances. Brooke has pierced ears and a scar on her right arm from the wrist to the elbow. She was last seen wearing blue jeans, a grey BYU soccer T-shirt, and may have been wearing an indigo colored "Fresh Jive" sweatshirt. Brooke was also wearing small hoop earrings and a ring inscribed with the letters "CTR." Information concerning Brooke should be submitted to the Corvallis Police Department at 541-766-6924 or Tipline 877-367-2270 or 541-766-6989.

Endangered Missing -
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KIPLYN DAVIS

- Kiplyn was last seen at Spanish Fork High on May 2, 1995. She left all of her belongings in her locker at school. She has naturally curly red hair, blue eyes and a fair complexion with a few freckles. She is very self conscious about her appearance. She was wearing dark denim shorts, white crew neck top and a light blue denim vest with beige stripes. She had 2 silver rings, one shaped like a flower and the other was shaped like a shield with the letters "CTR" in it.

[/font]

What does CTR stand for?

Does anyone think that maybe these people who had a passion for the Grateful Dead were simply on drugs which made them vulnerable as targets?

Richard, do you think there is a killer out there zoning in on Grateful Dead fans? The car accident seems innocent enough, and I'm trying to figure out why you want to learn more about him, other than he is unidentified.

Scandi

This was posted on another thread about the ring:

"Someone asked about the CTR ring. I know it has been answered but it is very similar to the WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) that mainstream Christians wear on items. The CTR (Choose the Right) is given at a young age, but it is a cheap ring given at that time. Many of us active LDS people buy the more expensive rings of 14k gold or sterling silver to wear as a constant reminder."

Thanks PonderingThings,

I was surprised to see Brooke listed on Utah's site because she went missing from Oregon. It must be that if a person is a Morman, they are put on Utah's list.

Scandi

PonderingThings said:
This was posted on another thread about the ring:

"Someone asked about the CTR ring. I know it has been answered but it is very similar to the WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) that mainstream Christians wear on items. The CTR (Choose the Right) is given at a young age, but it is a cheap ring given at that time. Many of us active LDS people buy the more expensive rings of 14k gold or sterling silver to wear as a constant reminder."
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I have heard and seen the WWJD stuff, but had never seen or heard of the CTR stuff until I saw that site, and you explained it.

scandi said:
What does CTR stand for?

Does anyone think that maybe these people who had a passion for the Grateful Dead were simply on drugs which made them vulnerable as targets?

Richard, do you think there is a killer out there zoning in on Grateful Dead fans? The car accident seems innocent enough, and I'm trying to figure out why you want to learn more about him, other than he is unidentified.

Scandi
Considering that I have two children both in this young man's age range and I would pray that if anything were to happen to them, that someone would try to find me. Kids can do somethings that adults do not understand and things can jst plain happen to cause problems within a family. This young man deserves to have his name known, he deserves to have a final resting place instead of in the coroner's office on a shelf. He deserves this because he was a human being and no one deserves to be unknown. He had no drugs in his system at the time of the accident, just maybe everyone that followed or attended Grateful Dead concerts were not druggies. Maybe he just liked the music. So, I believe that being unidentified is enough of a reason to try and help someone. If he were killed leaving a church function, would this have been more of a reason to try and help him???

Many of the missing in the world, just went out to the store or to a friend's house, this did make them targets? People are targets because there are so many sick and demented people out there, that do not care. Compare the number of people connected in some way with the Grateful Dead and the then compare how many people were last seen on the way to a friend's house or that were last seen at work...

It does not matter if the person is strung out on drugs and selling their bodies on the streets to support their habits... they are humans and someone loves them... And everyone should care!

STEPPING OFF MY SOAP BOX NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members