VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this fellow had been at earlier shows on the tour, it would most likely be Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ and/or Knickerbocker Arena.
The tour has been described by Phil Lesh as "the tour from hell". Jerry Garcia was not very interactive, sometimes not even playing or losing his place, not realizing what song the band was doing. Gate-crashing by ticketless fans was a huge problem at several shows. Severe rain was a big problem. Before the RFK show on June 25, three fans were struck by lightning. A roof collapse at a campground after a show in Missouri injured more than a hundred fans. There were also threats on Garcia's life at one point.
The dates were: June 19 &19: Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ; June 21-22: Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY; June 24-25, RFK Stadium, DC;
June 27-28: The Palace, Auburn Hills, MI; June 30: Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA; July 2: Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN; July 5-6: Maryland Heights, MO; July 8-9: Soldier Field, Chicago.
It does not appear to me that this man was intending to follow the Dead on to Michigan, since he was heading South. Phish was playing at the Mann Music Center in Philadelphia the same weekend as the RFK Dead shows. The Allman Brothers Band was apparently not playing around this time. So, as far as I can tell, it doesn't sound like he was heading off to another concert after the Dead show.

Has anyone checked out Doe Network Case File 1389DMFL, Phillip J. Koss? The height appears to be off, but otherwise there's a similarity. Brown eyes, long brown hair. The ponytail looks like it's dyed red, perhaps. "J." middle initial could be Jason. Disappeared from Florida in March 1995, and our fellow was heading south from DC, rather than following the Dead tour. The height is a big discrepency, but may be worth a look.

Phillip went missing about three days before the Grateful Dead's Spring 1995 East Coast tour began in Philadelphia.

marylandmissing said:
This isn't Jack Simmons - been ruled out. Not James Cole either - he went missing in 1999 I believe.

The young boy is most likely from the Baltimore, MD, area. He bought the tickets outside of Harford County, MD (which is right outside of Baltimore) and he went to a DC concert. I've spoken with someone who knows the mother of the other boy killed in the crash. The boy was apparently picked up outside of DC, and the mother suspects he might have been from that area since he purchased tickets in PA, where there was no GD concert.

There was a post on an internet forum awhile back that was being looked into. A woman posted she hadn't seen her brother "Jason" in ten years and the physical description was similar. The woman was in Baltimore, MD. I don't know what happened with that.

The sad truth about this, is most likely no one is missing him. Authories I've talked to tend to believe this. This child has been on AMW, Unsolved Mysteries, and numerous other shows.
No, I think it said that a man purchased 20 tickets for the concert in PA and sold some at the concert. The young man had one of the tickets, but the person he bought it from couldn't ID him.

As far as the 914 prefix goes, if you take into account that he was heading south, nearby areas include Birmingham AL, North Dade-Melbourne-Bel Glade-Ft. Lauderdale-Sarasota-Panama City-Tampa FL, Manchester-Bristol TN, Chester VA, Ladue MO, McDonough-Atlanta-Athens GA, Hampton SD, Little Rock-Magnolia AR, New Orleans LA, Jackson MS, Eddyville-Ashland KY, Chapel Hill-Whiteville-Charlotte NC, Bartlesville OK and San Antonio-Grand Prairie-Houston-Austin-Sunset-Dallas-Marion TX.

There are also several area codes in Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania that match up.

I'd bet he left home at an early age, possibly as a runaway, and either nobody cares or nobody's left to care.

Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male died 26 June 1995

Unidentified White Male
Located on June 26, 1995 in Greensville County, Virginia.
Cause of death was a traffic accident
The Doe Network: Case File 127UMVA

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 16 - 21 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6" - 168 cm; 169 lbs - 77 kg.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Red hair; brown eyes. His left ear was pierced but he was not wearing an earring.
Dentals: Available. He had all of his teeth and no dental restoration work.
Clothing: He was wearing blue jeans, blue FILA Athletic shoes size 11 1/2, a necklace and and a red concert T-shirt of the Grateful Dead, Tour 30th Anniversary 1995.
Tattoos: He had a home-made tattoo of a 5 pointed star on his left arm.
Fingerprints: Available
Other: He had a note in his pocket that said: "To Jason, Sorry we had to go. See you around. Caroline O. and Caroline T." The note had a phone number with a 914 prefix. There was no area code. He also had two ticket stubs to a Grateful Dead concert at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. on June 25, 1995.
Photos available of: T-shirt worn by victim; Tattoo; Composite sketch and bust of victim.

Case History
On June 26, 1995 this victim was a passenger in a van involved in a fatal accident in Greensville County, Virginia, that killed him and the driver. The identified driver apparently fell asleep at the wheel on his way back to South Carolina. Authorities believe the unidentified passenger was picked up hitchhiking. He didn't have any identification on him and the family of the driver did not know who he was.
The tickets found in the victim's pocket were traced to a Pennsylvania man who brought 20 tickets with him to the concert. Unfortunately, the man could not recall who he sold the tickets to.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Medicolegal Death Investigator
800-447-1706

Source Information:
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
The Child Protection Education of America
Pulp Radio Magazine
Richmond Times-Dispatch

Link:http://doenetwork.us/cases/127umva.html

1. Caroline Thomas claims to not be Caroline T from the note.
2. JD hit the windshield of the van and then a pine tree on the other side of the glass. So height could be off some.
3. The LE doesn't remember hardly anything about the case and refuses to pick up the file and give me any information.... such as scars, birthmarks, or former injuries. (He was quoted in an article that he has been bothered by this case since it happened, yet when I spoke with him, he knew nothing.)
4. The rumor about him be Chris Rainbow and know LSD dealer at GD concerts.... This is not the person and No the DEA officers do not know anyone by that name. I have spoken with a very dear friend of mine that knows how much this means to me, so believe he would tell me the truth.

Things that I wonder about...
1. This young man had perfect well cared for teeth... where was his tooth brush when the accident happened?
2. If he had bought the tickect outside the concert... where did the money come from?
3. If he bought the shirt at the concert... where is the the short he wore to the concert?
4. He died over 10 years ago... When will LE stop the privacy crap? They do not have time to help this young man, so why not release information to me, someone that is willing to give any extra time I have to this young man.
5. How no one can not know who he is.....

Now for the BIG one...
I believe this young man is Ricky Lee Jones. Jones and his girfriend ran away from TX when he found out she was only 14 years old. She was later killed by a serial killer, but Ricky was charged with the murder before the real killer was known. Ricky and his siblings were removed from their family before he ran away and therefore, the FBI made the only missing persons report on him. Thus why no one has claimed him. BUT no one wants to check because everyone believes he was also killed by Rhoades. He picked up his girls in truckstops... I would think a couple of kids hitchhiking may use truckstops. Also, why would Rhoades kill a male... all his victims were females.

http://doenetwork.us/cases/1319dmtx.html

How far fetched do I sound on this???

Virginia/North Carolina News

The Doe Network: Case File 1319DMTX

This story is so sad. It's hard to believe that there are people out there that are never missed. Trying2id, your diligence and dedication are amazing. What you are trying to do is wonderful.

I think that these two images are very, very similar. Yet I think that there are some key differences. Ricky Lee Jones' eyebrows seem thicker than JD, and RLJ also appears to have a cleft chin, (is that the right phrase)? The nose is also different, however if it was due to a break, that could have happened at any time between the time he went missing and the time of the accident. Yet RLJ's nose seems wider at the bridge.

The similarities are enough that it's probably worth looking into more but the cleft chin is what's bothering me the most.

JerseyGirl said:
Virginia/North Carolina News

The Doe Network: Case File 1319DMTX

This story is so sad. It's hard to believe that there are people out there that are never missed. Trying2id, your diligence and dedication are amazing. What you are trying to do is wonderful.

I think that these two images are very, very similar. Yet I think that there are some key differences. Ricky Lee Jones' eyebrows seem thicker than JD, and RLJ also appears to have a cleft chin, (is that the right phrase)? The nose is also different, however if it was due to a break, that could have happened at any time between the time he went missing and the time of the accident. Yet RLJ's nose seems wider at the bridge.

The similarities are enough that it's probably worth looking into more but the cleft chin is what's bothering me the most.

The photo of JD is a police sketch from a coroner's photo of a young man that had terrible facial injuries, so it may not even be correct.

Please check out this page, I found some of the information at the doenetwork and some from the investigating officer back in 1995. I know that I left some information from the doenetwork out, I did that on purpose. I have posted this everywhere and I did not want the parents (when I find them) to find out certain things from reading a posting on the internet. Please try to help me on this one.

Shawn

http://www.geocities.com/trying2id/JDpage.html

The reports I have read all seem adamant that the victim was no older than 16 years old. Jones would have been 24-25 at the time of the accident. This seems too great a discrepancy to me...

trying2id said:
The photo of JD is a police sketch from a coroner's photo of a young man that had terrible facial injuries, so it may not even be correct.
I hadn't considered how much the facial injuries might have influenced the sketch. Good point. Like I said, there are definite similarities so it is worth looking into, for sure.

I was online yesterday and somehow got to a Utah missing persons site and I found a picture of Jack Jason Simmons. He looks like this guy, and I was wondering if this had ever been checked out? Here's the website, you can see the pic for yourself.

http://bci.utah.gov/MPC/MPCMissing.html

I picked up on this guy Simmons right after trying2id posted on the Missing! forum. It was posted that he had already been eliminated...

He looks very much like this kid.....any DNA from the body that can be checked against the Utah family??

DNA and dental proved it was not Jason Jack Simmons.

kylie said:
He looks very much like this kid.....any DNA from the body that can be checked against the Utah family??

I have followed this story since it was first reported. In 1997 or 1998, I felt that this body might have been that of a serviceman missing from Rome, NY. There were many similarities, such as height, weight, hair and eye color, age, etc. And the serviceman's car had been found some time previously in North Carolina, not far from where the fatal van crash occurred which killed the driver and this unknown young man.

At the time (1997 or 98), the body was being kept in a frozen state by the State Medical Examiner in Richmond, VA. The match was so compelling, that the body was taken from storage and checked against the missing serviceman's medical and dental records. Unfortunately, there was no match, and the John Doe has remained unidentified since. I believe, however, that more photos, x-rays, and DNA samples were taken at that time.

I have spoken with the LE and all I keep getting is...
I can not recall or either well ma'am that that is a privacy issue. I would think that at some point, privacy would no longer be an issue. I mean if a private person is willing to give this case their free time and the LE can not recall (because he has not open the folder in years) that someone would be willing to give up some information.

Richard said:
I have followed this story since it was first reported. In 1997 or 1998, I felt that this body might have been that of a serviceman missing from Rome, NY. There were many similarities, such as height, weight, hair and eye color, age, etc. And the serviceman's car had been found some time previously in North Carolina, not far from where the fatal van crash occurred which killed the driver and this unknown young man.

At the time (1997 or 98), the body was being kept in a frozen state by the State Medical Examiner in Richmond, VA. The match was so compelling, that the body was taken from storage and checked against the missing serviceman's medical and dental records. Unfortunately, there was no match, and the John Doe has remained unidentified since. I believe, however, that more photos, x-rays, and DNA samples were taken at that time.

trying2id said:
I have spoken with the LE and all I keep getting is...
I can not recall or either well ma'am that that is a privacy issue. I would think that at some point, privacy would no longer be an issue. I mean if a private person is willing to give this case their free time and the LE can not recall (because he has not open the folder in years) that someone would be willing to give up some information.
It can be frustrating at times. The "Privacy Issue" nonsense is just an excuse for someone who doesn't want to work. How can you protect the privacy of an individual that you don't know?

Rhoades allegedly killed Douglas Scott Zyskowski, husband of his victim, Patricia Walsh.

Just trying to bring this back to a current topic. I am still searching day and night. Someone has to be out there... but where? Could you be the one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500