VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just putting my .02 in. After seeing that Cengiz was identified 20 years later due to better technology, I can't help but wonder when the last time GD's DNA was ran against CODIS as a whole and not a specific person.

I spoke to the horry (Conway) and charleston county libraries this morning. Conway only has older yearbooks, but the Charleston library has TONS in the 1990-1995 range! I will make a post over in the task delegation thread, I think. jbluesky said they may be able to hit some libraries this weekend. Fingers crossed a new lead will pan out before then, but will post for future use in case they don't.

Each school's library should have their yearbooks, too. Getting into to talk with a librarian would require more work since they aren't really open to the public. I worked in my high school and University libraries. If you can't find all the yearbooks you are looking for, I would contact the head librarian at each school directly, talk with them on the phone and explain the situation.

If he was only 17 he might not have gone to HS in MB, I would check the middle School as well, 8th and 9th grade seems to be a heavy "drop out " period, Im guessing he might have been on his own for a few years, so I would not rely on HS yearbooks alone.

A couple of original interpretations of Doe's homemade tattoos, as taken from imgur.

One thought posted elsewhere suggests the tongue one could be in the same doodly smiley writing as Caroline in her note, which I think is an astute observation.

The peace sign is a bit pointy on the fingers, but maybe that's why he didn't get it done for real.

http://i.imgur.com/dihT6vRh.jpg

A couple of original interpretations of Doe's homemade tattoos, as taken from imgur.

One thought posted elsewhere suggests the tongue one could be in the same doodly smiley writing as Caroline in her note, which I think is an astute observation.

The peace sign is a bit pointy on the fingers, but maybe that's why he didn't get it done for real.

Those are so cool! And here I was thinking it was Bambi!! haha

I like the idea of the peace sign. Reminds me of this: gd.jpg

Even so, in a lot of jurisdictions, cops cannot force a teen to live with his or her parents. This is why runaways often aren't reported as missing persons. I recently read an article about this, which said the cops and teen can even be sitting with the parents at the home and the teen walks out. The cops can't do anything about it.

The article went on to describe the social stigma of having a runaway, and the fear some parents have about reporting the teen as a missing person. There are often fears that they'll be labeled as bad parents, or will be interviewed by social services frequently. It's so heartbreaking!

I just wondered are we saying it was 94 or 95 that he would be in a year book if he graduated? I'm finding lots of conflicting info regarding years on the web...i'm currently on ancestry looking up 'Jason' in SC there's loads and it's like banging your head against a brick wall but given i'm stuck at home at the moment i might as well use my time constructively ;-)

EDIT * it state's born 1975 if graduated in 95?! this isn't right...point me in the right direction please...i'm in England and all this is a bit different to our school system.

Someone mentioned Rehab and a church...could he of been in a Christian based recovery centre? I'm throwing out ideas.

Looks like the story about this new lead is gaining momentum.

Old photos of a young man who looks similar to composite sketches that were released at the time of the accident have been posted online, and people claiming to have been short-term roommates of the man in the photos say that they knew him as Jay or Jason (a letter addressed to Jason was also found at the crash site),

http://www.jambands.com/news/2015/0...to-solve-a-20-year-old-grateful-doe-cold-case

Around January 3, 2015, a lot of chatter started to buzz on a forum for fans of the band Phish, and sites like imgur, Reddit, websleuths and Facebook as to his possible identity. Even experts believe the resemblance is strong, but more information is needed to learn if the boy in the photos is alive and well today.
He must have had family. Somewhere.

Leads say the boy in the photographs was possibly from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and at one point may have lived in Illinois.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lrutley/interwebs-now-closer-to-solving-a-20-year-old-cold-x024

I just wondered are we saying it was 94 or 95 that he would be in a year book if he graduated? I'm finding lots of conflicting info regarding years on the web...i'm currently on ancestry looking up 'Jason' in SC there's loads and it's like banging your head against a brick wall but given i'm stuck at home at the moment i might as well use my time constructively ;-)

EDIT * it state's born 1975 if graduated in 95?! this isn't right...point me in the right direction please...i'm in England and all this is a bit different to our school system.
It was summer 94 he was in MB, then traveled to Champaign (probably) in the fall where he lived with the persons involved with the current lead. He was there until early 95. So he *may* have graduated in 94 (or earlier, or not graduated at all) but would probably be in a 94 yearbook, if you found the right one. He'd be a graduating senior (grade 12), or possibly as a junior(grade 11), sophomore(10), or freshman(9). I don't think he would be in a 95 yearbook from SC since he was in IL during that school year.

Hope that helps!

We don't know what year he graduated, because we don't know how old he is or what grades he may have skipped or repeated. Most schools have the entire student body in the year book, so it's good to check 1995 and several years prior to that.

Hi! Assuming he was born the same season as me, (Of course, there is no way to know), I was born July 75 and graduated in 1993. Eric Hager (the driver) graduated in 1992. Hope that gives you a starting point. I have been looking on ancestry as well, and I type in birth year 1975, and look +/- 5 years.

On a side note, if you want to get irritated, you could look up "DoeMatching" on a very popular funding request site.

Hi! Assuming he was born the same season as me, (Of course, there is no way to know), I was born July 75 and graduated in 1993. Eric Hager (the driver) graduated in 1992. Hope that gives you a starting point. I have been looking on ancestry as well, and I type in birth year 1975, and look +/- 5 years.

I am of the same era :). Can you guys keep a list of what school/grade/year you have checked? Or maybe make a post on the task delegation thread? I like to do yearbook searches, too, especially while in waiting mode! I plan to look at all grades from around 91-95.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500