Deceased/Not Found VA - Melissa Brannen, 5, Lorton, 3 Dec 1989 *C. Hughes guilty*

Caleb's wife stinks.She writes down the mileage on the car because she supposedly suspected he was being unfaithful to her,then he becomes a suspect for kidnapping,and she still stood by him?I'll link the article and ya'll can read and decide for yourselves.The kids studying archaeology at SIU here always get to take ground penetrating radar equipment out in the field to play with,it shouldn't be too hard to image that basement/property without the need for a dozer.You could argue maybe she was moved later but it may of been in their best interest to leave well enough alone.Let's not forget Caleb spent 3 yrs in crime school(prison) for larceny before Dec. 1989..I tried to find the house online to see if there were pictures on a real estate site,does it even still exist?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...defense/84459547-03d9-4c62-bee7-549a92055d01/

Caleb's wife stinks.She writes down the mileage on the car because she supposedly suspected he was being unfaithful to her,then he becomes a suspect for kidnapping,and she still stood by him?I'll link the article and ya'll can read and decide for yourselves.The kids studying archaeology at SIU here always get to take ground penetrating radar equipment out in the field to play with,it shouldn't be too hard to image that basement/property without the need for a dozer.You could argue maybe she was moved later but it may of been in their best interest to leave well enough alone.Let's not forget Caleb spent 3 yrs in crime school(prison) for larceny before Dec. 1989..I tried to find the house online to see if there were pictures on a real estate site,does it even still exist?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...defense/84459547-03d9-4c62-bee7-549a92055d01/

[BBM]
Do you have an address in Woodbridge, VA, for Hughes? I believe he lived in the "Lake Ridge" area of Woodbridge.

[BBM]
Do you have an address in Woodbridge, VA, for Hughes? I believe he lived in the "Lake Ridge" area of Woodbridge.
No,the best I got was in the FBI files episode.When he does the 12-mile linear string thing but virginia is completely whited out and it may have been whited for legal reasons.31 years is a long time though,it could have been demolished,burned,or it still may be there.If it is there though,I couldn't see the current occupants objecting to LE doing the imaging thing(I don't know the technical term).For the sake of clarification,Im looking for the house from 1989,nothing current.

Last edited:
[BBM]

Looking for the exact address. He lived 7.9 miles away from the apartment complex where Melissa was abducted in a townhouse in Woodbridge according to first article I linked. The second article says less than 10 miles and the third article I posted says he lived 9.7 miles away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2019/04/19/abductor-year-old-melissa-brannen-be-released-prison-after-years/?outputType=amp

Caleb Hughes, Va. man who kidnapped Melissa Brannen, released | wusa9.com

Last edited:
Looking for the exact address. He lived 7.9 miles away from the apartment complex where Melissa was abducted in a townhouse in Woodbridge according to first article I linked. The second article says less than 10 miles and the third article I posted says he lived 9.7 miles away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2019/04/19/abductor-year-old-melissa-brannen-be-released-prison-after-years/?outputType=amp

Caleb Hughes, Va. man who kidnapped Melissa Brannen, released | wusa9.com
Using the FBI files episode map and google maps,the 4.something distance seems to be more accurate.What year was that house built in,what kind of crawl spaces,nooks,and crannys.Surely there must be blue prints kept by the city that a reputable contractor could interpret for the police if they so requested it.I wonder if Caleb got the blood on his shoes from using his feet to push or force into a confined space.I think if he drove her far away,he would of had a moment on his way back to collect himself and remember to get rid of the sheath but he didn't.Why get rid of the knife and not the sheath?I think that 1030 call warned him,whether it was an intentional or unintentional warning,I think he thought he got out of woodside with melissa scott free till that 1030 call.

For some reason, I can't seem to get this out of my mind -- that Hughes lived, at that time, in a townhouse subdivision of Lake Ridge (in Woodbridge, VA) called "Thousand Oaks." I believe it was off of Mayflower Drive (Mayflower Drive is off of a main road that runs through Lake Ridge known as "Old Bridge Road").

I wish I had access to "Newspapers.com", because the local newspaper at the time had many articles of Melissa Brannen's case. That newspaper was called The Potomac News. I believe that the articles would have given his address, or at least the street where he was living then.

I lived in the area for almost 40 years.

For some reason, I can't seem to get this out of my mind -- that Hughes lived, at that time, in a townhouse subdivision of Lake Ridge (in Woodbridge, VA) called "Thousand Oaks." I believe it was off of Mayflower Drive (Mayflower Drive is off of a main road that runs through Lake Ridge known as "Old Bridge Road").

I wish I had access to "Newspapers.com", because the local newspaper at the time had many articles of Melissa Brannen's case. That newspaper was called The Potomac News. I believe that the articles would have given his address, or at least the street where he was living then.

I looked at the neighborhood on google maps,and the houses have very similar chimneys to the one where I live,I went down to the basement to look at it to get a better idea...I actually found a bunch of jars I didn't know were there.My house was built in the 1920s so there's a hybrid thing going on between the new and old chimney,so it may not look anything like those in VA and building codes may differ from IL.I guess the chimneys stuck out to me because I remember reading about a guy that was going to rob a bank via chimney,he got stuck,he was there for like 25 years,they figured the odor went up and out with the wind like smoke/exhaust.Ah,they'll find her one day and that'll be the day Caleb wished he had taken Horan's deal.

No,the best I got was in the FBI files episode.When he does the 12-mile linear string thing but virginia is completely whited out and it may have been whited for legal reasons.31 years is a long time though,it could have been demolished,burned,or it still may be there.If it is there though,I couldn't see the current occupants objecting to LE doing the imaging thing(I don't know the technical term).For the sake of clarification,Im looking for the house from 1989,nothing current.

[BBM = Bolded by Me]
The following is a link to the FBI Files episode you have referenced:

At Min. 23:22, the map that is being used is of Fairfax County Police Patrol Areas. Hughes' residence was located in Prince William County (adjacent to Fairfax County). That is the reason why it does not appear on the map. It would have been more helpful for viewers if they had gone the extra mile in filming by using a map that included both counties.

[BBM = Bolded by Me]
The following is a link to the FBI Files episode you have referenced:

At Min. 23:22, the map that is being used is of Fairfax County Police Patrol Areas. Hughes' residence was located in Prince William County (adjacent to Fairfax County). That is the reason why it does not appear on the map. It would have been more helpful for viewers if they had gone the extra mile in filming by using a map that included both counties.
Yes.Also the GPR thing,I thought well maybe I could be wrong about that or maybe I watched Jurassic Park too many times but this is exactly what I'm talking about
'Bone Finder' helps police in the search for Jennifer Dulos | fox61.com

There is a address on his marriage certificate in 1989

12551 Plymouth circuit LakeRidge Prince William Virginia

upload_2021-2-4_13-3-34.jpeg

View attachment 282497

Thank you, StarrChance! So, that is 12551 Plymouth Court,* Woodbridge, VA 22192. It is located in a development known as "Lake Ridge" in Prince William County, Virginia.

*("Ct." = Court).
Here's a Google Maps link to the location: Google Maps

Last edited:

View attachment 282497
Good find!I couldn't find any pictures of that specific one and google maps has a fuzzy overhead view of the backyard some of the neighboring units are listed with pics. The basements seem to have carpet and dry walls,which I wonder if they were built like that or renovated later,built in 1971.I did see some old sheds in the pics,if he had one in 89,underneath would have been a good hiding spot.The link is a picture of the backyard from a neighboring property and if Calebs was anything like it in 89...I think he had some real options to put her back there.

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/...91f86a-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

Occupation: Babysitter....... a man..... in 1989...... working as a babysitter. Hmmm. Not saying there weren't any in that era but.......

Maybe he was implying that the reason he was around kids/teens is because he was a babysitter. Like, oh I didn’t do anything wrong, I didn’t touch anyone, I’m just innocently babysitting.
What a creep!

A little information on his brother and sister in law murder

Hughes-Murder

ANCHOR=Keith
NEWSCAST=Six
WRITER=Dal
TAPE#97-48
GRAPHIC=Murder Investigation

Investigators are turning to television to help solve a 10-year-old Roanoke County murder case.
The deaths of Scott and Shannon Hughes will be featured on a public service announcements in hopes of generating new leads.
Denise Allen reports.
(/////SOT/////)
SOT
IN Q=20-year-old Scott
SUPER=03-Roanoke Co.; :15
SUPER=01-Det. Roger Harris/Roanoke City Police; :21
SUPER=03-Roanoke Co./March 1988; :28
SUPER=01-Sgt. Paul McElvein/Roanoke Co. Police; :35
SUPER=@Denise2; 1:16
RUNS=1:29
OUT Q=News 7

(( 20-year-old Scott Hughes and his 18-year-old wife Shannon had been married only eight months when they disappeared in the early morning hours of July fifth, 1987.
They had been to a party and were last heard from making phone calls from this Christiansburg service station to get a ride back to Roanoke.
Police believe they were taken at gunpoint on this stretch of 5-81.
(/////SOT/////)
SOT 10:57:56
IN Q=the victims

((DET. ROGER HARRIS/ROANOKE CITY POLICE: THE VICTIMS WERE LED DOWN THIS EMBANKMENT AND THEY WERE SHOT DOWN HERE AT THE BOTTOM ALONG THIS CREEK.))
RUNS=:07
OUT Q=ALONG THIS CREEK

A surveying crew found their bodies eight months later.
Time and mother nature had destroyed much of the evidence.
(/////SOT/////)
SOT 10:52:32
IN Q=typically when you

((SGT. PAUL MCELVEIN/ROANOKE CO. POLICE DEPT.: TYPICALLY WHEN YOU RESPOND TO A CRIME SCENE YOU HAVE BLOOD, HAIRS, FIBERS, FINGERPRINTS, A LOT OF EVIDENCE YOU CAN WORK WITH. IN THIS CASE WE DIDN'T HAVE THAT.))
RUNS=:12
OUT Q=DIDN'T HAVE THAT

So investigators are using the public service announcement, "Crimeline," to generate tips.
(/////SOT/////)
SOT 10:54:53
IN Q=WE BELIEVE

((SGT. PAUL MCELVEIN: WE BELIEVE THE MURDER WEAPON WAS A RUGER BLACKHAWK .357. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION IN REFERENCE TO THAT WEAPON WE COULD USE THAT INFORMATION.))
RUNS=:13
OUT Q=USE THAT INFORMATION
(/////SOT/////)
SOT 10:59:39
IN Q=SCOTT AND SHANNON

((DET. HARRIS: SCOTT AND SHANNON KNEW THE PERSON THAT KILLED THEM AND I'M ALSO CONVINCED THEY WERE KILLED EITHER FOR REVENGE OR ANGER.))
RUNS=:12
OUT Q=REVENGE OR ANGER

The case is now in the hands of the Roanoke Valley Investigative Team.
And detectives Harris and McElvein believe someone in the New River or Roanoke Valley can help solve the mystery behind the Roanoke couple's death.
Denise Allen News 7.))

After looking at everything,I would put less emphasis on the basement and more on a deck or underneath rather.I couldn't for the life of me find a good picture of Calebs back yard,I even went over real estate pictures from houses behind Calebs on pilgrim rd trying to get a look of that back yard.Never the less,I still say deck.It was a very cold Sunday night,the ground would have been frozen solid but underneath a deck,close to a house,the ground may not have been frozen and he could have dug with a small spade and out of sight.After looking at these properties,I couldn't get Calebs shoes out of my mind and I went back to look at those further(the best I could find at least).I found this "John Lewoczko, a tool mark expert, described the lefthand shoe as having "an elongated cut towards the back, on the side of the sole, and on the front portion, as well." He described the righthand shoe as having "an elongated gouged out cut area on the inside of the sole.".This makes me think caleb was lying on the left side of his body(is he right handed),I think he crawled underneath the deck first then reached and pulled her in,Caleb trying to maintain a distance from the blood was unable to maintain that distance with his feet as he crawled or adjusted his position further in.After he buried her he crawled out from a different area avoiding the blood trail,went to one of the many parking lots nearby to get his car,drove back and began cleaning himself up.Now Calebs house (12551) was sold in 92 his neighbors house (12549) was sold in 91,I did find some pictures of 12549 from what I assume is 90/91,they look that time period anyway.I'll link it but look at the picture of the backyard,look how he secures his gate.It looks like there's a silver hook latch on it but then he has a barbell with weights on one end,reinforced with what seems to be some concrete.Was there a theft,was the door broke,could caleb have popped it and unable to latch it from the outside because he was in a hurry?

12549 Plymouth Ct, Woodbridge, VA 22192 - 3 beds/1.5 baths

Last edited:
Another thing I'm going to factor in is the wind.The wind speed that night was 20-25 mph with gusts 30+ mph.Even if people had heard noises,they could have easily shrugged it off as the wind.It's very probable that there was an unauthorized entry to the backyard at 12549 at some point in time based of that picture,hence the makeshift security system,it does have a deck,it was well past 10 o'clock on a Sunday,people were sleeping,12549's neighbor was Caleb hughes.And,if your going to hide a body,it might of been in Calebs interest to bury her in the neighbors yard than his.The backyards are very small,it wouldn't take anytime at all for the FBI to GPR 12551 and 12549.Should'nt be a problem at all...isn't FBI headquarters just down the road in DC?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zurbamommyof2
Back