WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I've been following this case, but haven't posted anything about it. A few people have mentioned that she may not have headed straight home. She had permission to spend the night at a friend's house, so maybe she decided to sleep at a different friend's house, since she got turned down at KK's house.. My scenario would be that she goes to her alternate friend's house, and maybe an older brother, father, step-father, uncle (or a woman. Thinking Sandra Cantu here.) etc was home, but the friend wasn't. Maybe the rest of the family is out of town, or he/she knows they'll have the house to themselves for quite a while. He tells Lindsay that the friend isn't home, but they will be shortly, and to come on inside. I know a lot of ppl's houses have been searched, but I think he/she would have enough time to drive away from McCleary to dispose of her.

The reason I thought of this is because I remember one time when I was 12, my best friend (who lived right next door to me) and I really wanted to spend the night at our other friend's house, who lived in another nearby town. Our parents, however, felt they didn't know this other girl or her parents well enough for us to spend the night over there. We were so mad. So what did we do? I asked if I could spend the night at my neighbor's house, and she did the same. Our parents agreed. We walked to the end of the block and were picked up by the third friend in the other town and her older sister. Our parents thought we were right next door, but we were in another town. Somehow, they never found out. We figured, hey, we have permission to "spend the night together" - but our parents don't have to know exactly where! I was only 2 years older than Lindsay when this happend, so I think it's plausible she could have looked for somewhere else to spend the night

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this theory, I'm still trying to read through the whole thread, but the thought just came to me.

Throwing a curve ball here.... What if or Could the father ,since he is being deployed to Iraq, be involved in some way to get himself From being deployed? I don't understand why he couldn't be in Mccleary until this Friday? Just thinking out of the box.... I dunno

He couldn't just leave the military base. There is protacol to follow. If he doesn't follow it he would be considered AWOL. The military is well known for dragging their feet. And sadly I think that is what happened here.

My son deployed in October and just before he left a man in his unit found out that his ex girlfriend back here in Washington State had given birth and dumped his baby in the garbage. It took him about a week to get through all the **** the military required in order to get home to take care of the issue.

The criteria in the report at the link is very complicated, and they give lots of examples of cases and why they were categorized in a certain way and what the categories mean.
It's very interesting reading.
http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/196467.pdf
Thanks~ It is the word "criteria" which bothers me. LOL We know how well that works for Amber Alerts. ;) It is also why I really don't believe the stats. I will read it tho...in the event it could change my mind...but well...you know how hard headed I can be. :)

Throwing a curve ball here.... What if or Could the father ,since he is being deployed to Iraq, be involved in some way to get himself From being deployed? I don't understand why he couldn't be in Mccleary until this Friday? Just thinking out of the box.... I dunno

You can't just go on a trip when you're in the military without filling out paperwork that then has to be signed off on by a series of people, even if the trip is important. If the unit is really about to be deployed, there would probably be extra paperwork and permissions because there wouldn't be any leave normally allowed at this time.

The military will deploy you, even if really bad things are going on in your life. They may give you a little time to tie up loose ends, but then you're going to join your unit. The needs of the military will always come before the needs of individual soldiers, as it should be.

I'm not sure about McCleary but I know of several small towns in my area where cable service is not an option. One would have to pay for satellite I believe.

McCleary has cable services.

But it's not uncommon for people to not have cable. It's expensive and since she was a newly single mother it might not have been in the budget right now.

Maybe I am the one confused having jumped in late on this case, but I thought Lindsey wanted to stay at her house and was turned down.

It still doesn't explain why she didn't just pick up the phone and call her tho. Either way, it would have saved her the trip. If they have internet service, they most likely have either a cell phone or a land line.

The only reason I can think of her not using her phone could be a limited amount of minutes.." pre paid ". Alot of my sons friends have pre paid phones and are real careful so there mins will last until end of month where " mom" will put more mins on the phone.

I'm not sure about McCleary but I know of several small towns in my area where cable service is not an option. One would have to pay for satellite I believe.

It looks as if parts of McCleary do have cable coverage, but phone internet services are cheaper, perhaps?

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/cabletv/wa-mccleary-cable-tv.html

Maybe not having cable tv was a parenting choice, not a financially driven decision. Lindsey is a reader. Plus, you can watch so many shows that appeal to kids online anyways. MTV reality tv at it's finest :rolleyes:

I'm still wondering about the cell phone. I wonder how much Lindsey used it. They've checked Lindsey's computer. Has anyone read anything yet about her cell records?

Hi all. I've been following this case, but haven't posted anything about it. A few people have mentioned that she may not have headed straight home. She had permission to spend the night at a friend's house, so maybe she decided to sleep at a different friend's house, since she got turned down at KK's house.. My scenario would be that she goes to her alternate friend's house, and maybe an older brother, father, step-father, uncle (or a woman. Thinking Sandra Cantu here.) etc was home, but the friend wasn't. Maybe the rest of the family is out of town, or he/she knows they'll have the house to themselves for quite a while. He tells Lindsay that the friend isn't home, but they will be shortly, and to come on inside. I know a lot of ppl's houses have been searched, but I think he/she would have enough time to drive away from McCleary to dispose of her.

The reason I thought of this is because I remember one time when I was 12, my best friend (who lived right next door to me) and I really wanted to spend the night at our other friend's house, who lived in another nearby town. Our parents, however, felt they didn't know this other girl or her parents well enough for us to spend the night over there. We were so mad. So what did we do? I asked if I could spend the night at my neighbor's house, and she did the same. Our parents agreed. We walked to the end of the block and were picked up by the third friend in the other town and her older sister. Our parents thought we were right next door, but we were in another town. Somehow, they never found out. We figured, hey, we have permission to "spend the night together" - but our parents don't have to know exactly where! I was only 2 years older than Lindsay when this happend, so I think it's plausible she could have looked for somewhere else to spend the night

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this theory, I'm still trying to read through the whole thread, but the thought just came to me.
Welcome to WS~ No, I haven't seen that theory mentioned, but it is possible. I do know older girls try to pull that one off at times. (I used to make certain I talked to the parents and checked up on my kiddos because of that!)

However, in this case...after Lindsey didn't return, didn't her mother call the other mother then take their car to look for her since she didn't have one? Wouldn't this mean she expected Lindsey to come home?

Wait...didn't KK mention she could have gone to another friend's house on the way home? In that case, the scenario could fit...but LE would have already been all over that house and the people living there. It doesn't mean she couldn't have taken a detour completely and backtracked across town tho. Hmmmmm....

Media sometimes gets it wrong, but I am going by this one, only because it quotes MB:

<snipped to cut space>

Lindsey's cell phone was on the charger. Even so, you'd still think land line or use Mom's or Josh's cell? Couple of things I wonder about:

• Lindsey's public MySpace says they don't have cable tv, yet a ten y/o has her own cell?
  • Is that unusual that this family would pay for Internet services vs. cable?
  • Does it say anywhere why Josh was going to K's with Lindsey in the first place?

1. you can still use a cell phone even when it is charging. I think L was wanting K to spend the night so they went to ask and possibly get her clothing, toothbrush, pillow.. etc.

We didn't have tv for almost a year. It just wasn't an importance to us yet we still had our cell phones because we didn't have a land line. My daughter has had a cell phone (for limited use) since she was 11. We also had internet because I use it to bank, pay bills, stay connected to my older children.

Again I read someplace (still looking for links--honestly, I thik I read it on SM posted by KK and I don't know what to believe from her. So take this with a grain of salt.) that L was not allowed to walk alone and J was sent to walk back with her incase K couldn't spend the night.

Can anyone local or someone who is better with maps that myself, tell me what is WEST of the friend's house on Maple? Everything I have seen has been pictures of or talk about going East...which would be her route home. But if, like it is being suggested, she didn't head directly home, she may have headed the other direction. Especially if the dogs didn't pick up any scents along her normal route. Just a thought.

Can anyone local or someone who is better with maps that myself, tell me what is WEST of the friend's house on Maple? Everything I have seen has been pictures of or talk about going East...which would be her route home. But if, like it is being suggested, she didn't head directly home, she may have headed the other direction. Especially if the dogs didn't pick up any scents along her normal route. Just a thought.

The street dead ends at the water treatment plant to the near west of Lindsey's friend's house.

We did not have cable or satellite for 3 years..werent interested. Our tv always picked up 4 or 5 local channels for free.

1. you can still use a cell phone even when it is charging. I think L was wanting K to spend the night so they went to ask and possibly get her clothing, toothbrush, pillow.. etc.

We didn't have tv for almost a year. It just wasn't an importance to us yet we still had our cell phones because we didn't have a land line. My daughter has had a cell phone (for limited use) since she was 11. We also had internet because I use it to bank, pay bills, stay connected to my older children.

Again I read someplace (still looking for links--honestly, I thik I read it on SM posted by KK and I don't know what to believe from her. So take this with a grain of salt.) that L was not allowed to walk alone and J was sent to walk back with her incase K couldn't spend the night.
So when J arrived home without Lindsey...didn't that alert mom to the possibility that Lindsey could be walking home alone? If she was concerned enough to send her brother in the first place, why wasn't she concerned enough to pick up the phone to make arrangements for Lindsey to get home by walking to meet her or something? Makes no sense to me.

jvk posted some pictures of the area
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - WA-10 y/o Lindsey Baum, missing since 6/26/09 Thread #2

So when J arrived home without Lindsey...didn't that alert mom to the possibility that Lindsey could be walking home alone? If she was concerned enough to send her brother in the first place, why wasn't she concerned enough to pick up the phone to make arrangements for Lindsey to get home by walking to meet her or something? Makes no sense to me.

She probably did like a lot of us mothers do in this area "Oh hey, it's a small town she's walked that path a million times. She'll be ok"

I know I'm guilty of it (or was up until last Friday) with my own daughter. She'll be 14 next month. We live a half mile from her school and she's been walking home from school and allowed to walk to her friends house on the other end of town since she was about 8.

Yeah it is really confusing & the maps at certain points are way off. When i walked down that road it was obvious it was originally an alley, that'd just been paved.

Ok, that explains why I was confused. I don't remember there being a paved road between Simpson and Maple.

Thanks.

If it is true that J was sent to walk with Lindsey so she wouldn't walk alone, then we have a real gap in what coulda/shoulda happened when he showed up at home without Lindsey. In the best of circumstances, he should have been told to stop fighting and sent back out after her, or at very least, either he or Mom should have called K's to see if the girls were walking together? KWIM?

Just a small note for reference, but depending on the cell phone, not all can be used while charging. Many older cells and lower-end versions can't be used while charging. Some power down the minute the charger is connected.

ETA: dang, too slow again, but at least I think like SS. :wink:

Wes Kampen is a washington state powerlifter.
Goes with the astrology
Sorry, STILL catching up, I'm sure y'all know this already :)

It could be that Lindsey's mom believed Kayla and Lindsey would be returning together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member