WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

Just as it isn't that difficult to acquire cyanide, it really isn't that difficult to conceal ones identity in death. As long as your fingerprints (or DNA) aren't on any data base and you do not have any implanted medical devices with a serial number (Mary A.was rather "lucky" in this regard), all you have to do is dispose of anything that can be traced to you. Anyone who is reasonably organized ought to be able to pull it off.

An unidentified "Doe" is usually "found" either through a "missing person" report or someone recognizes them through media publicity. If they are from the same "media market" that they disappeared from, someone is likely to recognize them if there is sufficient media attention. For this reason, we can infer that Mary A. was not from the Seattle Metro Area. An extensive review of, first local, then State, National and International Missing Persons data-bases is the standard practice. If the "Doe" doesn't show up on one of these data-base and no one recognizes them from media coverage, they are unlikely to ever be identified. We can speculate on why she is not on any of these data-bases, but it is unlikely to help us identify her.

The best chance of identifying her now is to use what evidence there is available to narrow down as much as possible, where she may be from, and then attempt to interest the local media there in publicizing he case. (this may not be all that hard "unidentified people" stories are good "filler" and do generate local interest).

The single most important clue that isn't mentioned anywhere is Forensic Isotope Analysis. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/stable-isotopes.html) It seems to pretty much standard practice is "Doe" cases like this one that have achieved high profile status. (I believe it might cost upward to $1000.) The results generally don't pin down the exact location where the "Doe" spent most of her life, but they can narrow it down considerably. In addition, we know the Metrical was distributed through Phoenix. I'm betting the distribution system would be restricted to a limited geographic area. (do they have all of the details?). We know she bought her gloves at Nordstroms. She probably bought them from where she came (anticipating cold weather in the North-West). In light of the very warm weather, I doubt she bough them in Seattle. (from what I can find, Nordstroms are concentrated along the West Coast and in the North East.)

If there is one Metropolitan Area with isotopes matching Mary A's teeth and hair, that was on the Metrical distibution network originating in Phoneix and Nordstoms was well established there, this would be the probable area Mary A was from.

Just as it isn't that difficult to acquire cyanide, it really isn't that difficult to conceal ones identity in death. As long as your fingerprints (or DNA) aren't on any data base and you do not have any implanted medical devices with a serial number (Mary A.was rather "lucky" in this regard), all you have to do is dispose of anything that can be traced to you. Anyone who is reasonably organized ought to be able to pull it off.

An unidentified "Doe" is usually "found" either through a "missing person" report or someone recognizes them through media publicity. If they are from the same "media market" that they disappeared from, someone is likely to recognize them if there is sufficient media attention. For this reason, we can infer that Mary A. was not from the Seattle Metro Area. An extensive review of, first local, then State, National and International Missing Persons data-bases is the standard practice. If the "Doe" doesn't show up on one of these data-base and no one recognizes them from media coverage, they are unlikely to ever be identified. We can speculate on why she is not on any of these data-bases, but it is unlikely to help us identify her.

The best chance of identifying her now is to use what evidence there is available to narrow down as much as possible, where she may be from, and then attempt to interest the local media there in publicizing he case. (this may not be all that hard "unidentified people" stories are good "filler" and do generate local interest).

The single most important clue that isn't mentioned anywhere is Forensic Isotope Analysis. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/stable-isotopes.html) It seems to pretty much standard practice is "Doe" cases like this one that have achieved high profile status. (I believe it might cost upward to $1000.) The results generally don't pin down the exact location where the "Doe" spent most of her life, but they can narrow it down considerably. In addition, we know the Metrical was distributed through Phoenix. I'm betting the distribution system would be restricted to a limited geographic area. (do they have all of the details?). We know she bought her gloves at Nordstroms. She probably bought them from where she came (anticipating cold weather in the North-West). In light of the very warm weather, I doubt she bough them in Seattle. (from what I can find, Nordstroms are concentrated along the West Coast and in the North East.)

If there is one Metropolitan Area with isotopes matching Mary A's teeth and hair, that was on the Metrical distibution network originating in Phoneix and Nordstoms was well established there, this would be the probable area Mary A was from.

I am not sure if the ME took samples and saved them, this would be awesome to try. Cash strapped Seattle might not think so... our cold case division was closed due to lack of funding just a month or so ago. :-(

I am not sure if the ME took samples and saved them, this would be awesome to try. Cash strapped Seattle might not think so... our cold case division was closed due to lack of funding just a month or so ago. :-(

Yeah, I agree. I have a never heard they even got DNA. So true, the cold case cutbacks in Seattle were effective as of January 1st. Many cold cases will go on to be left unsolved. I came across a 2003 article from the Seattle P.I. on how the examiner's office worked at the time. It was kind of sad then and probably even more sad now due to the cost cuts. Dr. Taylor in the article and photo was the kind doctor who contacted me in August 2010 about my inquiry on Mary Anderson's case. I also contacted her last week about the NamUs data entry update for the case. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...n-are-as-hard-to-find-as-a-1107646.php#page-3

Yeah, I agree. I have a never heard they even got DNA. So true, the cold case cutbacks in Seattle were effective as of January 1st. Many cold cases will go on to be left unsolved. I came across a 2003 article from the Seattle P.I. on how the examiner's office worked at the time. It was kind of sad then and probably even more sad now due to the cost cuts. Dr. Taylor in the article and photo was the kind doctor who contacted me in August 2010 about my inquiry on Mary Anderson's case. I also contacted her last week about the NamUs data entry update for the case. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...n-are-as-hard-to-find-as-a-1107646.php#page-3

I wonder if Dr. Taylor would discuss with this board what type's of evidence they have on file for evidence for Mary, like is it only her personal effects? And if she'd let us know what agencies they'd contacted in the past and with what information... We don't really have a concise report, well any reports... It would really help to go over all the information they went over during the investigation. I know King County won't foot the bill to exume her let alone the money for a lot of the new forensics we have available to us today. But maybe, like the retired ME said: we "missed something" obvious. Pictures of her items would help too. I'm haunted by the bowl, and iron, and her lack of jewelry given her "obvious" state of being a woman well off. It goes back to it's "what you don't say that speaks volumes." I think it's a lot of what we don't see that does. Do you think she'd come on the board or release to you any information on this case?

I wonder if Dr. Taylor would discuss with this board what type's of evidence they have on file for evidence for Mary, like is it only her personal effects? Do you think she'd come on the board or release to you any information on this case?

Probably not.

I don't think Mary was Catholic. If she was, she would have had a Catholic Bible and not a Protestant Bible. And I truly believe that the rosary would have been in her hand(s) or nearby on the bed or nightstand. It would have been more important than the Bible if that were the case.

See my recent post on this... Post #263

Hi,
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I wanted to offer my two cents - as a catholic. Not a very good catholic!
First, the Rosary. It would be an extremely devout Catholic that would have a Rosary in hand as they passed away. In her case, I don't think it meant that much. No reflection on Mary, just an observation of the world's priorities.
Second, the bible. I have often read other bibles besides the King James Version - the Catholic bible. I would find any christian bible that was available (like Gideon's) a comfort to me in my last hours. ANY CHRISTIAN BIBLE would do. Maybe that's why she went to a motel - 'cause they always have Gideon's bible in the rooms.
If one is contemplating suicide, and raised a catholic - well you would have to fear eternal damnation if you took your own life. Hopefully, Mary just wanted to find comfort in the arms of a loving God, and so tried to ask her God for mercy. If she sought God in those last hours or minutes - I'm sure she found Him.

Just ran across this on a missing site in MD... wonder if anyone else sees the similarities? I've asked to join their private group on FB to send them The Case of Mary Anderson link. What do you all think?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/39dfmd.html
With the exception of the scar on the chin and arm and a 2 inch difference (I'm not sure of their information on her height - if it's from DL she might have had heels on.) what do you think?

This case is fascinating, but so sad:(. I would have a hard time believing it was Judith due to her physical build for one and the fact that she was believed to have possibly been a prostitute (albeit a high priced one) before she went missing. Not sure how she would have had the money to get to Seattle. Just MOO. Judith's sister is a member of websleuths so you might contact her on here and see what she thinks. If you look up Judith's thread her sister often comments!

This case is fascinating, but so sad:(. I would have a hard time believing it was Judith due to her physical build for one and the fact that she was believed to have possibly been a prostitute (albeit a high priced one) before she went missing. Not sure how she would have had the money to get to Seattle. Just MOO. Judith's sister is a member of websleuths so you might contact her on here and see what she thinks. If you look up Judith's thread her sister often comments!

Judith had Blue eyes; Mary A. had Brown. Pretty much settles that.

Jewish people wouldn't dare touch a Christian Bible, especially being caught with one at the time of their death.

This is just not true, except perhaps for ultra-Orthodox Jews (and we already know she wasn't ultra-Orthodox because of her clothing). Jews tend not to spend a lot of time reading the Christian Bible, but that's simply because it isn't relevant to them. There is no taboo against reading it or even studying it in depth -- see, for example, The Jewish Annotated New Testament.

Mary Anderson in my book has a very strong possibility of being eastern European. And if she was from there than it probably meant that her friends and family where Muslims.

I really don't see how this follows. The only part of eastern Europe with a strong Muslim population is the Balkans (Albania and the former Yugoslavia), and even in that area there is also a large non-Muslim population. Other countries in eastern Europe are overwhelmingly either Catholic or Eastern Orthodox. (Orthodox Christians, by the way, are no more likely to read a Protestant Bible than Catholics are.)

I don't think Mary was Catholic. If she was, she would have had a Catholic Bible and not a Protestant Bible. And I truly believe that the rosary would have been in her hand(s) or nearby on the bed or nightstand. It would have been more important than the Bible if that were the case.

(BBM) Again, this is absolutely not true. The rosary is a prayer aid that goes back only to the 13th century. Many Catholics find it helpful, but no Catholic is required to use it or attach any particular significance to the object itself. Indeed, the Church is careful to emphasise that the important thing is not the string of beads, but the prayers and meditation that it is meant to assist.

By contrast, the Bible is a vital part of Catholicism, without which the Church would not even exist. Every Catholic is required to hear it read at Mass at least once a week, and the Church gives recommended Bible readings for every day of the year.

The claim that Catholics consider rosaries/sculptures/saints/whatever to be "more important than the Bible" or "more important than Jesus" is, to be blunt, an anti-Catholic canard used by evangelical Protestants to imply that Catholics are somehow "pagan" or "not true Christians." It has no basis in Church doctrine.

I have often read other bibles besides the King James Version - the Catholic bible.

The King James is emphatically not a "Catholic Bible." The translation was commissioned by King James I at the urging of Puritans within the Church of England, and has never been used by the Catholic Church. The standard "old-fashioned" translation of the Catholic Bible is the Douay-Rheims, and the most commonly used modern English translations are the New American Bible and the Jerusalem Bible (or its updated version, the New Jerusalem Bible).

If you want to know whether a particular Bible translation is Catholic, there are two ways to check. First, a Catholic Bible will have an imprimatur (the Church's seal of approval) somewhere near the copyright page. Secondly, a Catholic Bible will contain the Old Testament books of Tobit, Judith, Wisdom (of Solomon), Sirach (aka Ecclesiasticus or Wisdom of Jesus ben Sira), and 1 and 2 Maccabees. A Protestant Bible will either not contain these books at all, or will have them in a special supplementary section called "Apocrypha."

At any rate, the fact that "Mary" had an IUD is a far stronger argument against her being a devout Catholic than her choice of reading material. And the fact that she committed suicide, in an apparently cool and calculated way, argues against her having had any strong Christian belief at all.

I actually don't think her holding the Bible tells us very much. There's a Bible in practically every hotel room in America, and the 23rd Psalm is one of the most famous pieces of literature in the world. In the popular imagination, it has come to have strong associations with death - check out the "Use in funerals" and "Use in media" sections of its Wikipedia article. Reading it while ending her life may simply have struck "Mary" as an appropriate flourish.

Do we even know whether this was her own Bible or the Gideons'? If the latter, then I'd say this "clue" is pretty much meaningless.

Judith had Blue eyes; Mary A. had Brown. Pretty much settles that.

I read the ME say that eye color changes in death so even that's a variable - he said that, not me.

What struck me about her was the nose, chin, lips, eyes and cheek bones. She's not 110 pounds, obviously. I was 110 pounds at her age and I guarantee you I'm much more than that now and I'm in her age range. But the way the nose ... the nostrils are, forehead, distance between the eyes and temple... I saw a similarity and she's from the NY area. Many prostitutes come to Seattle, it's still a "female slave trade" destination for those who market women. There's a very large market here, from obtaining the very young, to obtaining those with experience. Her hands the ME said showed no hint of any type of work she did. I've worked in offices most of my life and I have a small callous on my middle finger from writing with a pen and probably from all the writing while in college too. If Judy and Mary were high priced ladies of the night, they do retire and I'm sure some could get chubby. I'll try to reach her sister and have her take a look. Maybe the bowl and the iron will make sense to her, or the Estee, and then maybe not and we'll be back again looking in the missing pages :)

This is just not true, except perhaps for ultra-Orthodox Jews (and we already know she wasn't ultra-Orthodox because of her clothing). Jews tend not to spend a lot of time reading the Christian Bible, but that's simply because it isn't relevant to them. There is no taboo against reading it or even studying it in depth -- see, for example, The Jewish Annotated New Testament.

I really don't see how this follows. The only part of eastern Europe with a strong Muslim population is the Balkans (Albania and the former Yugoslavia), and even in that area there is also a large non-Muslim population. Other countries in eastern Europe are overwhelmingly either Catholic or Eastern Orthodox. (Orthodox Christians, by the way, are no more likely to read a Protestant Bible than Catholics are.)

(BBM) Again, this is absolutely not true. The rosary is a prayer aid that goes back only to the 13th century. Many Catholics find it helpful, but no Catholic is required to use it or attach any particular significance to the object itself. Indeed, the Church is careful to emphasise that the important thing is not the string of beads, but the prayers and meditation that it is meant to assist.

By contrast, the Bible is a vital part of Catholicism, without which the Church would not even exist. Every Catholic is required to hear it read at Mass at least once a week, and the Church gives recommended Bible readings for every day of the year.

The claim that Catholics consider rosaries/sculptures/saints/whatever to be "more important than the Bible" or "more important than Jesus" is, to be blunt, an anti-Catholic canard used by evangelical Protestants to imply that Catholics are somehow "pagan" or "not true Christians." It has no basis in Church doctrine.

The King James is emphatically not a "Catholic Bible." The translation was commissioned by King James I at the urging of Puritans within the Church of England, and has never been used by the Catholic Church. The standard "old-fashioned" translation of the Catholic Bible is the Douay-Rheims, and the most commonly used modern English translations are the New American Bible and the Jerusalem Bible (or its updated version, the New Jerusalem Bible).

If you want to know whether a particular Bible translation is Catholic, there are two ways to check. First, a Catholic Bible will have an imprimatur (the Church's seal of approval) somewhere near the copyright page. Secondly, a Catholic Bible will contain the Old Testament books of Tobit, Judith, Wisdom (of Solomon), Sirach (aka Ecclesiasticus or Wisdom of Jesus ben Sira), and 1 and 2 Maccabees. A Protestant Bible will either not contain these books at all, or will have them in a special supplementary section called "Apocrypha."

At any rate, the fact that "Mary" had an IUD is a far stronger argument against her being a devout Catholic than her choice of reading material. And the fact that she committed suicide, in an apparently cool and calculated way, argues against her having had any strong Christian belief at all.

I actually don't think her holding the Bible tells us very much. There's a Bible in practically every hotel room in America, and the 23rd Psalm is one of the most famous pieces of literature in the world. In the popular imagination, it has come to have strong associations with death - check out the "Use in funerals" and "Use in media" sections of its Wikipedia article. Reading it while ending her life may simply have struck "Mary" as an appropriate flourish.

Do we even know whether this was her own Bible or the Gideons'? If the latter, then I'd say this "clue" is pretty much meaningless.

The ME stated it was a family bible with no family listed, so it's something she brought with her versus a hotel bible.

Hi,

RSBM
BBM

I stand corrected. You are correct. I asked my mother why we had to read only the KJV - and she now says she doesn't remember. Bless her heart! She's 82. I'm just a bit younger, but showing my age by my posts!
She also always told us that we were "Roman Catholics". I was in the military and we had dog tags that showed your religion - I HAD to put Roman Cath as my religion...! lol Personally, my fave is the Good News bible.
I appreciate your post with it's wealth of information. Tx!

Hi, Perodicticus!

RSBM
BBM

I stand corrected. You are correct. I asked my mother why we had to read only the KJV - and she now says she doesn't remember. Bless her heart! She's 82. I'm just a bit younger, but showing my age by my posts!
She also always told us that we were "Roman Catholics". I was in the military and we had dog tags that showed your religion - I HAD to put Roman Cath as my religion...! lol Personally, my fave is the Good News bible.
Hope I spelled your name right!

Hi, Perodicticus!

RSBM
BBM

Hope I spelled your name right!

You are right, the Catholic Bible is the Bible but includes 73 book canon including the deuterocanical books. So the actual Catholic Bible has more than say the King James Protestant Bible and includes: Tobit, Judith, parts of Esther, 1 and 2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, and some of Daniel are deuterocanonical and therefore not found in the Protestant Bible, but are found in the Bibles of Eastern Christianity. I am Roman Catholic and we will use the KJ version if our own Bible's are not available to us or as a general resource for scripture.

Just ran across this on a missing site in MD... wonder if anyone else sees the similarities? I've asked to join their private group on FB to send them The Case of Mary Anderson link. What do you all think?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/39dfmd.html
With the exception of the scar on the chin and arm and a 2 inch difference (I'm not sure of their information on her height - if it's from DL she might have had heels on.) what do you think?

Researching Judy (Judith Erin O'Donnell) on Maureen's FB and her websleuth's page as well as YouTube's... I'm more convinced this might be Judith and here's why:
Judy loved makeup (our Mary has all this Estee' and did her full makeup - made herself look perfect)
Judy's eyes were "steel blue" (in death the eyes darken per the ME and could have had the appearance of brown especially with the yellow around the iris)
Judy was Catholic (Mary had a KJ version Family Bible with her at time of death, and Judy was estranged apparently from the Catholic Church)
Judy was proportedly a high priced lady of the night (Mary had very expensive items with her at time of death)
Judy's front teeth had problems - yellowing incisior and she wouldn't wear her retainer so her space and bucked teeth began to reoccur (a high price call girl wouldn't do so well with this so it's natural she might go for a denture or maybe she had a run in with a not so nice "John" Also Mary didn't wear her denture and disposed of it and her ID. Her face around the mouth won't look as full as Judy because her denture is out and her face is sunken in with help from cyanide)
Judy was from Oswego, NY (the area code given on Mary's registration was for Astoria NY and that's outside of NY City proper and Judy was very familiar with that area and lived in and around it)

There are too many similarities for me to discount this as a viable possibility.

Researching Judy (Judith Erin O'Donnell) on Maureen's FB and her websleuth's page as well as YouTube's... I'm more convinced this might be Judith and here's why:
Judy loved makeup (our Mary has all this Estee' and did her full makeup - made herself look perfect)
Judy's eyes were "steel blue" (in death the eyes darken per the ME and could have had the appearance of brown especially with the yellow around the iris)
Judy was Catholic (Mary had a KJ version Family Bible with her at time of death, and Judy was estranged apparently from the Catholic Church)
Judy was proportedly a high priced lady of the night (Mary had very expensive items with her at time of death)
Judy's front teeth had problems - yelllowing incisior and she wouldn't wear her retainer so her space and bucked teeth began to reoccur (a high price call girl wouldn't do so well with this so it's natural she might go for a denture or maybe she had a run in with a not so nice "John" Also Mary didn't wear her denture and disposed of it and her ID. Her face around the mouth won't look as full as Judy because her denture is out and her face is sunken in with help from cyanide)
Judy was from Oswego, NY (the area code given on Mary's registration was for Astoria NY and that's outside of NY City proper and Judy was very familiar with that area and lived in and around it)

There are too many similarities for me to discount this as a viable possibility.

Coincidence that you posted this as Maureen contacted me this morning via the Mary Anderson Facebook page about Judy being a possible. Yes, there are many similarities to both women. But, from research, Judy is mentioned as being very tall at 5'11". Mary Anderson is in the 5'7"-5'10", but Mary Anderson's height could be way off. Also, Judy had a tonsillectomy and her adenoids removed. Nothing of that was stated as a find with MA, unless there is holdback information not previously stated by the ME.

Coincidence that you posted this as Maureen contacted me this morning via the Mary Anderson Facebook page about Judy being a possible. Yes, there are many similarities to both women. But, from research, Judy is mentioned as being very tall at 5'11". Mary Anderson is in the 5'7"-5'10", but Mary Anderson's height could be way off. Also, Judy had a tonsillectomy and her adenoids removed. Nothing of that was stated as a find with MA.

Agreed... however, back in 71 when I got my license they "asked you" how tall you were, and you stood by a measuring stick and you could wear your heels haha! I wore my platforms, and told them I was 5'9" but I'm actually 5ft 7. Also I have Judy's height at 5'10"... and I shrank unfortunately in my 40's by a 1/4 of an inch (we have osteo in our family) I thought it was worth a shot, and still too many coincidences to not look into. Also, as we've learned with Mary, our ME didn't give us a complete inventory of his autopsy... many have commented on how the investigation wasn't complete. IE... photographing the room and documenting evidence, saving DNA, etc... And the breast surgery - I think those were implants not reduction. And I don't think our Mary was always that heavy at all! I know I wasn't as heavy as I am now. I'm so happy Maureen contacted you... I hope we find Mary and Judy their family. Thanks, Kodiak!

Agreed... however, back in 71 when I got my license they "asked you" how tall you were, and you stood by a measuring stick and you could wear your heels haha! I wore my platforms, and told them I was 5'9" but I'm actually 5ft 7. Also I have Judy's height at 5'10"... and I shrank unfortunately in my 40's by a 1/4 of an inch (we have osteo in our family) I thought it was worth a shot, and still too many coincidences to not look into. Also, as we've learned with Mary, our ME didn't give us a complete inventory of his autopsy... many have commented on how the investigation wasn't complete. IE... photographing the room and documenting evidence, saving DNA, etc... And the breast surgery - I think those were implants not reduction. And I don't think our Mary was always that heavy at all! I know I wasn't as heavy as I am now. I'm so happy Maureen contacted you... I hope we find Mary and Judy their family. Thanks, Kodiak!

Very true about the height and I agree. I do think that the exterior Studio 54 photo of the woman resembling Judy was in fact her. I also very much agree that MA was not always heavy. I really need to study the photos of both women. There are some similar facial features.

Very true about the height and I agree. I do think that the exterior Studio 54 photo of the woman resembling Judy was in fact her. I also very much agree that MA was not always heavy. I really need to study the photos of both women. There are some similar facial features.
Yes, agreed... look at the hair line too! I've been wrestling with this ever since I started searching on the East Coast for Mary and came upon Judith. Just the area and her style and attention to her appearance. I'm in the medical field and I know when new patients come in we ask them how tall they are instead of measuring them - I've come across this more times than I can count when I actually do measure them. Additionally, patients are always surprised at my measurement as they were told by other clinic staff they were "this tall" and now they find out they are actually as tall as I measure them. Bottom line we all use different ways to measure patients and not all of them are accurate and can be off by an inch or more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back