WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
wannabesleuthkk said:
OODles, tell me about the translator pages, i'm trying to find a latin translator online without purchasing software. Is there a Latin for Dummies type website you've ever seen that you'd recommend?

CCM - what do you think of theory that Lyle was 'coming home'?
kk
Someone would have called if he was local. No, I think he wanted to disappear, so he went as far from home that he could.

Rle7 said:
You might want to start with the Quinault tribe:

http://209.206.175.157/contactus1.htm

If this person was of Quinault descent, the tribe would want to set his spirit to rest.

Unfortunately, some tribes operate on a shoestring budget and don't have the resources to help identify the deceased, especially when so many of the living are in need of these resources.
The tribal Council Staff or tribal Police Department is a good place to start.

Hi Rle7,

Amazing, as reading the previous set of posts leading up to yours, that is very much the thought I had.

It could apply to any Indian tribe on the Olympic Penininsula, 7 of which I have found so far. And it is because I do believe many, if not most Indian people I have ever met, were extremely proud people, down to the eye of the gnat!

A misnomer, maybe. If something bad happens to you, it is not for public talk. You deal with it yourself. And if you do something that you know is going to anger the spirits, no one even talks about it or acknowledges it. You are on your own on this one, and knew it well before you did it.

That is how I would classify suicide with Indians. It is acceptable to go sit on top of a mountain when you know you are close to deaths door, and wait for the right spirit to come and call you to another world. But to take your own hand and kill yourself, it might be a taboo among the tribe, and they would then pretend as though you never did exist.

I do believe this might be why no one inquired as to our Lyles being missing. They knew he was searching for answers and had maybe said goodbyes, or led family to believe he would see them later, maybe even as far to say 'in another world'.

I know you think Lyle may have come from way out of the area, Coldcaseman. You must have reasons to believe that, and so far your reasoning about particulars has been exemplary, and right on track I think.

I would have to delve into the folklore of the tribes on the Peninsula, but somehow think Lyle knew the Lake Quinalt area, even if he lived up in Port Angeles or Squim, and if he could choose a place above all others on this earth, that is where he felt the spirits were abundant and might help him in his plight, to raise him up to be with his ancestors.

I think he knew he was going against everything he had learned that was honorable in life when he actually decided to and comitted suicide, and sought out the one place by that beautiful lake, where the spirits would hold him tight and help him when he needed it the most.

Scandi

Sorry I'm back so soon, but thinking about your last post Coldcaseman, I remember a comment that this photo that looks so much like Lyle was actually a man from New York. It was in one of Wannabe's posts. I've seen that photo before too, and maybe it has been used often thru the years. But it does look so much like how Lyle would have appeared if healthy, although Lyle was taller than this man.

I'll have to do a little looking around! LOL

Scandi

What was noted about the condition of Lyle's hands, hair and nails. I know the teeth were well cared for, but i was wondering about the condition of his palms. Soft, calloused? Nails trimmed, clean? Just wanted a better picture in my mind. anyone remember?
thanks much.
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
What was noted about the condition of Lyle's hands, hair and nails. I know the teeth were well cared for, but i was wondering about the condition of his palms. Soft, calloused? Nails trimmed, clean? Just wanted a better picture in my mind. anyone remember?
thanks much.
kk
His hands were not calloused, no indications of recent manicure, nails were trimmed and clean, no scars on the fingers. His hair was trimmed within a month or so prior to death, He combed it straight back.

coldcaseman said:
His hands were not calloused, no indications of recent manicure, nails were trimmed and clean, no scars on the fingers. His hair was trimmed within a month or so prior to death, He combed it straight back.
Might help in identifying him if that happened to be one of his personality traits

i was thinking more along the lines of occupation. If whaling was in his cultural background, he wasn't carrying on the trade.
However, as far as personality traits go, he didn't have what appeared to be manicured nails but his appearance and hygiene were obviously important. I mean his worldly possessions at time of death was a tootbrush. That's a bit odd to me. I was just thinking earlier, ccm, about the hypothetical such as, his family was from this Peninsula area maybe two three gens back. Say his father headed east and settled up in Maine or somewhere. For whatever reason, he sets out after whatever tragedy happened in his life and chose to return to a land he knew nothing about except for stories. All the locals tribal families would have known that his father or gfather moved out of state 20yrs before and wouldn't have recognized him at all. He maybe learned about his Quinault roots (for instance) and got stories from his dad and mom but was never in touch with anyone there. He just did the proverbial "climbing the mountain alone" routine and chose to take the journey back to his native region. Sound silly? I've got too big an imagination sometimes.
hey OOD
kk
where'd scandi run off to?

It's a possibility. You can't rule anything out. I always wondered why people choose MY county to end their lives?

Hi Wannabe,

I think there could be something about this lake, Lake Quinault, formed by a glacier thousands of years ago, and possibly held high in the lore of many Indian tribes. It well could be his ancestors had moved east, they kept the lore about the Olympic Peninsula very much alive in their stories and ceramonies.

When he realized he didn't want to live anymore, for what ever reason, then it would be almost instinctive to him to go back to his roots and leave this earth where his ancestral fathers lived. Lake Quinault. There maybe he could go with a peaceful feeling. I don't know.

Scandi

that's the end of the road, 'cause Nobody wants to end up in Canada.

nothing personal, OODles just my twisted sense of humor rearing its cute little head.
kk

i've been sitting here for an hour studying this these great sites on the Makah tribe (see Makah.com) and this Quinault site from the previous post by
R2D2. Go take a look at them. Ya'll may see something i don't that could be a help. I'm just basically looking for pics with faces. Next I'm gonna pull out my Geneology cheat sheets and look for family trees online connecting to those NW tribes. Worth a shot. A lot of people who upload their family tree put pics with them too. I'll let ya'll know.
kk

I think another reason why Lyle hasn't really been ID'd is perhaps he could have been adopted and his real parents can't be located or both his parents are dead

I did find this searching Lake Quinault + Indian lore:

The Tree People
by Naomi M. Stokes

"The Olympic Peninsula is one of the wildest, strangest, most fascinating regions in the country; the end of the world, as Native Americans say..." First line in book

Scandi

I always told people that Grays Harbor isn't the end of the earth, but if you stand on your tip toes, you can see it from here!

CCM, i ws just looking at the pics on the Makah.com site and they are Truely breathtaking off that point at Neah Bay. You're fortunate to have such beautiful surroundings. (Just too damn cold for me) kk

I wouldn't live anywhere else. We've got the Pacific Ocean, mountains, and a rain forest with old growth trees. Sure, you have to put up with a little rain, but hey, no hurricanes!

I bought my house downhere last June and FL hasn't had one hit yet.
They're scared of me.
I always wanted to visit the Pac NW. My father years ago, took small plane from Seattle to a little island out off Vancouver and stayed in B&B. Best vacation photos i ever saw. One day I'll go see the Aleutian chain. I want pics of Kodiak. In the meantime i'm headed to the keys in two weeks for a little snook and tarpon. I like it hot. Good thing huh since i live in FL.
kk

In the short while i've been looking at Quinault and Makah tribes pics, I believe our man Lyle looks alot more Makah then Quin. Tell me what you think, i'll be off soon, remember it's only 1 there.
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
I bought my house downhere last June and FL hasn't had one hit yet.
They're scared of me.
I always wanted to visit the Pac NW. My father years ago, took small plane from Seattle to a little island out off Vancouver and stayed in B&B. Best vacation photos i ever saw. One day I'll go see the Aleutian chain. I want pics of Kodiak. In the meantime i'm headed to the keys in two weeks for a little snook and tarpon. I like it hot. Good thing huh since i live in FL.
kk
I lived in Kodiak for four years! It is breathtaking. Nice place to visit, but I hated living there. If all you want are pics, I may be able to dig some up. We didn't have a digital back then, but I could scan some.

So far what I have really learned about the Makah is that they are from the NW tip of the Olympic Peninsula by Neah Bay, and that their people do man a wonderful and well known museum. I'd like to learn more.

But in a wilderness area with so many different tribes, each one very individual in what they are known for, there is one big long lake that was there before any humans, I believe. I don't think there was anyone there during the ice age! LOL But it only makes sense that a place of such beauty could also be very spiritual for these people, and I'd love to discover if this is true. It might be why our Lyle needed to go there to what they thought was the end of the world, to find his way up into his new world.

It could be, or I could just hope he had some definitive direction like this. Indians are very spiritual people. I knew Lalooska for years, and his daughter Patty Fawn, from Ariel, Wa.

Scandi

Hi GardenMom, Yikes, I don't know why I can't go back to sleep! It's good to see you here. OK, back to try getting some winks. 7:30am will come way too soon I know. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aprilssister94