WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rle7 said:
I lived in Kodiak back in the 1980's and early 1990's. All my photos are on 35mm film. I tried to scan some once, but the process took forever. I might try again though, maybe the technology has advanced some so it doesn't take as long to scan.
Good luck :clap:

Maybe Steve will stop by and say hi sometime. If he knew we have the lead detective on the case with us here, I know he would be most interested, especially as he was quite taken on the case before Coldcaseman joined us with this thread.

I certainly have the most utmost respect for Steve as one of those 'digger' type detectives, working from his desk. His mind is keen on putting 2 + 2 together. If you ever want an interesting read, dip into his archives. LOL

Scandi

I just rec'd reply from the query i sent to the admin for the digital library i showed ya'll with the pic of man that SO resembles our Lyle.
Guess what? His name is Luke Hobuchet. He is of the Quileute tribe and this pic was taken in 1905 by Edmund Meany who has more in his collection of the tribe, just gotta find it.
I'm so excited! I replied to the curator with a reuest to put me in touch with their resident anthropologists. I'm gonna keep looking for the other pics in this Quileute collection AND take this info to the Geneology websites i used to do my tree. Unfortunately i can't get the page with this info to cut/paste so i'll have to direct you to how i found it. Go to:
http://content.lib.washington.edu/cmpweb/search.html
type in search box - Quileute (subject) GO
click new search - Luke Hobuchet
viola!
I just had to share this first. I'll be back!

WOW Wonderful Wannabe! Great to see him like that.

He would be like a great-great grandpa to a guy Lyle's age, right? Quileute, eh? LOL I have no idea how you trace genology, but that's OK, I'd like to learn more about that particular tribe.

I told you guys my sister went to Norway. When she got back I noticed she was staring at me one day, and asked her whaz-up? She said, you would not believe how many people I saw in Norway that look so much like you, in fact several who were your spitting image!

There are certain traits for particular segregations of peoples, like full upper and lower lips {Latino}, hard noses {Indian}, pointy noises {like the French], small eyes {English} as examples. That is why I thought finding a base with Lyle's tribe was an important factor. And once we know his ancestry it just gives a base and a philosophy that he would have carried with him thru life from the stories and traditions they had.

So we do know as early as 1905 Quieute Indians from the Olympic Penninsula had made it all the way to New York and had assimilated into life there! I wonder if they had a grouping there, or if they were disassimilated?

Thanksl, Scandi

Just to clarify something that may have been misunderstood before, I have a picture that's of a man from NY that Looks like this Quileute man but is no relation. The era is the same, that's all. But like a good hound dog, i'm on a scent and i'll keep tracking this possible ancestry link. I'm still going thru photos in this particular photo collection by Edmond Meany. Then I'll hit the ancestry and geneology sites. Anyone i see in the pics that looks similar to Lyle or Luke i'm jotting the name, if any, and geographic location. That info will be good to start with.
Watch his name really be Lyle.
kk

Well, we're getting closer to the importance of Lake Quinault I think:

http://209.206.175.157/
Snipet

"People of the Quinault

We are among the small number of Americans who can walk the same beaches, paddle the same waters, and hunt the same lands our ancestors did centuries ago. The Quinault Indian Nation (QIN) consists of the Quinault and Queets tribes and descendants of five other coastal tribes: Quileute, Hoh, Chehalis, Chinook, and Cowlitz.

Our ancestors lived on a major physical and cultural dividing line. Beaches to the south are wide and sandy, while to the north, they are rugged and cliff-lined. We shared in the cultures of the people to the south as well as those to the north. . . ."[/]

Dancers%20on%20beach.jpg

I've still got a call out to the dept head at the Anthro dept at WU. That was Friday i think, right? The reply i got this evening was from the digital collection dept. Hopefully if i can speak with (email) a forensic anthropologist, i can find out how to pursue IDing Lyle's possible lineage. The studying i've done on mapping DNA also has some promising new areas in determining probable ancestry thru DNA. But an anthropologist specializing in tribes of pac nw could really be beneficial. Hopefully if they'll accept a photo of Lyle and just write a report on what they determine. CCM, let me know what photo should be sent, or should it come from you??
As soon as i get a response, i'll let ya'll know. OH i've also got a call into the same dept at BC U in Vancouver. Hazel eyes? a little canadien in our boy?
i'm off. Give me feedback please.

bye guys and gals
kk

Tell you right now, my heart is never far away from this thread.

I made a bold move, and decided to write to an indian gal who has her own guide service on the Quinault River. This is her site:

http://www.lettypotter.com/indexr.html

After reading what she has done and how she has presented herself, I wanted to talk to her and see what a personal touch could bring to us in looking at these indian tribes of the Olympic Peninsula. She must know them all well, and so I asked her basicly if there were any spiritual ties between any of these tribes and Lake Quinault, and then told her I will share his photo with her to see if she thinks he might resemble any certain tribe out there.

Hope this is OK with everyone. If I met her I would trust her to take me fishing. That is alot, believe me, after living on the Oregon Coast for 6 years and spending much of my off time in search of the King Chinook! Slugs, we called them. Like the ones you see on her site.

I'll go retreive my note to her:

"Hi Letty,

Your site is exceptional!

I belong to a group working to find a name for a man we think was American Indian/White who comitted suicide in Amanda Park on Sept 15, 2001.

He resembles the Quileute Indians, although he has a remarkable resemblance to an indian photographed in 1905 that is on the main page of the Makah main site. Since he chose Lake Quinault to be his final place on earth, we're wondering if there is any spiritual tie between this tribe, or any other on the Peninsula, and Lake Quinault.

I know you must be very savvy about your people on the reservations there as to their tribal origins. I have also read that American Indians think of the Olympic Peninsula as 'the end of the earth'.

We want this man to rest near his people, and though he might have lived out of the area, wondering if he resembles any particular native group. He might have come back home to his roots, and right now, anything we can discover might help us to learn who he was and where he hailed from.

Email me Letty and I will send you a link to his photo.

God Bless
Cheryl K"

Scandi

wannabesleuthkk said:
. . .Give me feedback please.

bye guys and gals
kk
Interesting. I have not been ignoring the posts, just been reading many threads and thinking. I await more results. :)

I've spent an hour on the Surname Hobuchet/Hobucket (slightly dissimilar spellings are common, i've found, for a number of reasons i'll go into later)
What i've found is a family line that i feel sure belongs to the man in the pic, Mr. Luke Hobuchet of Quileute Tribe. There's a good amount of documentation on a Hobucket family (i have no doubt it's the same) at various resources. From 1930 US census to SS index to good old phone books, I found that Luke Hobucket (Hobuchet) is from a family that has strong ties to Grays Harbor. Some were listed in Clallum Co and one in Taholah (have no idea where that is). I think that Luke's related to the Edward Hobucket branch from Tacoma. Edward Sr., had a son Ed jr and a daughter Helen California Hobucket who died in 1998 at the age of 63. So far, no mention of children of Ed jr. He died in 2003 at the age of 74. I'm gonna dig for pics of these folks and see if they resemble Luke H. Hopefully they all look alike and all look like Lyle Stevik. wishful thinking
i'll be back..
to be continued

I'm running with the idea that the name copied off the back of the pic from the WU collection had been misread and mispelled. I have found Luke Hobucket and his wife Nancy on the 1900 Census, date of birth 1872, county of residence Clallum. In 1930 the family group shows up on Grays Harbor roll.
But no Luke. He must have passed away before they did the 1930 census. Unfortunately, as i discovered in my personal research, everytime i really need a little piece of info that matters, it's on the 1920 census. The one that was mostly destroyed in a fire in D.C. It's more important now to find other records of this family to corroborate some of our theory thus far.
I've gotta get to bed now however. good nite/morning. ta ta
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
I've spent an hour on the Surname Hobuchet/Hobucket (slightly dissimilar spellings are common, i've found, for a number of reasons i'll go into later)
What i've found is a family line that i feel sure belongs to the man in the pic, Mr. Luke Hobuchet of Quileute Tribe. There's a good amount of documentation on a Hobucket family (i have no doubt it's the same) at various resources. From 1930 US census to SS index to good old phone books, I found that Luke Hobucket (Hobuchet) is from a family that has strong ties to Grays Harbor. Some were listed in Clallum Co and one in Taholah (have no idea where that is). I think that Luke's related to the Edward Hobucket branch from Tacoma. Edward Sr., had a son Ed jr and a daughter Helen California Hobucket who died in 1998 at the age of 63. So far, no mention of children of Ed jr. He died in 2003 at the age of 74. I'm gonna dig for pics of these folks and see if they resemble Luke H. Hopefully they all look alike and all look like Lyle Stevik. wishful thinking
i'll be back..
to be continued
Tahola is the main town in the Quinault nation. It is at the North end of Grays harbor. I have never seen the name "Hobuchet", but there are "Hobucket" families on the harbor.

I feel sure the man in the hat pic is Luke Hobucket (not Hobuchet). No point trying to figure out why is was misspelled on the bac of pic SO, I'm back to work now. and will get right on this. I think Luke was Edward's father (Sr) who had Edward Jr. There are some other men in the clan listed in these census records that i'll follow up on to. I've read interesting material on these Quileute. A white preacher/missionary decided these people needed good biblical names and started documenting villagers, native Quileute, with white folk names like Joshua, Joseph, Sara and one poor girl he named California. I've seen it passed down thru generations now and even some of the men have it as middle name, to honor Grandmother California. It was very common for people to be given middle names that are their mother's maiden, or a respected great unlce etc. It's not just among indians but all over. Typical in the 1800's. My ggfather was Glenn Pace Nall, Pace being his mothers maiden.
It really helps tho in finding out who's related to whom.
Some of the mens names that I'm tracking are, Gaden, Tyler, Harry, Guy, Alex, Gordon and a Chee-Shoo?
Well the other important thing i found on the Quileute web page...
http://www.quileutetribe.org/7.html

...was about something called the 'taxilit' a spiritual journey taken by their youth. Very interesting don't you think...i'll keep researching and get back with ya.

Off topic - i just got back from having lunch with a highschool mate i haven't seen in 23yrs. What a blast!! She lives 5 miles from me and i just found out.
both transplanted fr GA. Not enough time to catch up but there'll be more visits i'm sure. What a treat it was. I remember her fixin up her 65 mustang. we were the rebels that didn't hang out with the rich snobs. Such a down to earth kind a gal. and btw, my son is better, thanks for asking Scandi.
gotta go google!!
kk

i just spoke with a lady with the Quileute tribal council. She says she would be glad to help me with various family trees of the Quileute tribe for my "research project". I told her, for my project, that i needed photos and some names and dates of a handful of familys in that area. She said, ok great you need to talk to our historian, Neva Hobucket. Neva's out sick and will call me Monday. A Millie Williams, however, is there today and specializes in family trees. She's given her a messg to call me this afternoon.
Well, i listen to my gut alot and thot a cold call to La Push, WA might yield something. If we can be so fortunate to tie Lyle in with these families, there could feasibly be a happy ending to this. I'm praying for one. Wouldn't it be great, CCM, to one day meet with elders to give to them Lyle's remains to take home. wow, i get chills. The matter will get more delicate with more positive proof of his heritage. Once we know we're on to something, i feel it would be necessary to let them take over final ID. I'm gonna go read more about the Taxilit and the Treasurer, Chris Morganroth, is their resident Taxilit expert and will call me back Friday. (he's out too)
I hope you're all taking notes on this, there will be a quiz.
kk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members