WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
typical Aboriginal victim is an unmarried male in his late teens or early twenties. He is likely to have been separated from family members in childhood, often in foster care, or to have come from a family that was itself unstable.
Two of those factors fit Lyle- the rest is left to wonder

Just crossed my mind. Found the WWI draft records for 1917. It showed Eddie Hobucket, Gordon Hobucket, Guy, Harry and Tyler, all of them in this one family tree that includes Luke Hobucket in the early 1900's. Then i find an old city directory from 1923 in Seattle showing E. Hobucket. Back then your occupation was listed in directories. His said Seaman. Navy. Where can you get excellent health care for free.? Never met a sailor with bad teeth.
Just a thought. Wish I could access some military records. Hmm.
oh well, back to my research.
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
Just crossed my mind. Found the WWI draft records for 1917. It showed Eddie Hobucket, Gordon Hobucket, Guy, Harry and Tyler, all of them in this one family tree that includes Luke Hobucket in the early 1900's. Then i find an old city directory from 1923 in Seattle showing E. Hobucket. Back then your occupation was listed in directories. His said Seaman. Navy. Where can you get excellent health care for free.? Never met a sailor with bad teeth.
Just a thought. Wish I could access some military records. Hmm.
oh well, back to my research.
kk
I never thought of military service before! :doh:

Maybe we could access some records and find who was AWOL around the time Lyle checked in to the hotel and or when he was found

yeh i just did that too
Problem is, I hear most military records are off limits except to LE.
Not sure, but we'll have to think of someone we could ask?
Where's 'bossman' when ya need him.?
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
yeh i just did that too
Problem is, I hear most military records are off limits except to LE.
Not sure, but we'll have to think of someone we could ask?
Where's 'bossman' when ya need him.?
kk
Theoretically, all servicemens fingerprints are on file with the FBI. They also obtain a DNA sample, but I don't think it is entered into CODIS.

So...
theoretically can we check? Do you have access to CODIS only, or is there a way to let FBI scan for a match.? Also would dental records in the military be accessible? Would there be a dept within DOD that could help check?
Veteran's Affairs or anything?
just bouncin ideas..
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
So...
theoretically can we check? Do you have access to CODIS only, or is there a way to let FBI scan for a match.? Also would dental records in the military be accessible? Would there be a dept within DOD that could help check?
Veteran's Affairs or anything?
just bouncin ideas..
kk
The fingerprints were submitted to the FBI twice. I'll see if I can check with someone about military DNA being in CODIS. I doubt the military has dental charts in any type of searchable database.

I doubt we could get our hands on an AWOL list from say 2000 fw?
He may not have deserted, but just finished up w HD. But i'm grasping at straws as usual. I know they have the dental records of enlisted but i know noone's willing to go search em all. I did find something interesting tho. Not of much use, but interesting. There are two accounts in WA. that are listed as dormant/unclaimed under the name of Hobucket. Doubt the bank's gonna tell us anything like last date of activity but one's at Bank of America and the other a savings at Grays Harbor Credit Union in Tahola. One's last name only but the Taholah account has an Anthony Hobucket as owner of unclaimed property. Wish i knew when they went dormant. Oh well
I'll be back later
kk

Why Wannabe, that is BIG! How did you learn how to search like this> Pretty phenominal I think. You Go Girl! LOL

Coldcaseman will know how to check on that, although it might take a subpena {sp} or a search warrant. The only other way I could think of is talking to people in Tahola. That is the center for the Quinault Indian Nation, so there might be a lot of people that say own businesses that might remember this name.

Ooooooohhhhhh Exciting. Scandi

Gosh, I found this tonight, and though it has nothing to do with Lyle, it is interesting as it involves Luke Hobucket recounting the story of the Thunderbird and the Whale, a famous Olympic Peninsula indian story. The whole grouping of stories are very interesting as they also deal with the great tsunami that changed the land:

http://www.ess.washington.edu/SEIS/PNSN/HIST_CAT/STORIES/DRAFT2/quileute.html

snipet
"THUNDERBIRD CAPTURES A WHALE
(Told By Luke Hobucket.)

Thunderbird lives in the sky. He makes the lightning by his rapid flight through the air. He makes the big noise by the flapping of his wings. He eats whale for food. One time Thunderbird got a big whale in his talons and carried him to Beaver Prairie and ate him there. The whale fought very hard before he was killed. Thunderbird and Whale fought so hard that they pulled up the trees there by their roots. And no trees have ever grown in that place to this day.

THUNDERBIRD FIGHTS MIMLOS-WHALE
(Told by Luke Hobucket. Mr. Hobucket said that Thunderbird represented good and that Mimlos-whale represented evil.)

There was the great flood. At that time. Thunderbird fought with Mimlos-Whale. The battle lasted a long time. For a long time the battle was undecided. Thunderbird in the air could not whip Mimlos-whale in the water. Thunderbird would seize Mimlos-whale in his talons and try to carry Mimlos-whale to his nest in the mountains. Mimlos-whale would get away. Again Thunderbird would seize him. Again Mimlos-whale would escape. The battle between them was terrible. The noise that Thunderbird made when he flapped his wings shook the mountains. They stripped the timber there. They tore the trees out by their roots. Then Mimlos-whale got away. Again Thunderbird caught Mimlos-whale. Again they fought a terrible battle in another place. All the trees there were torn out by their roots. Again Mimlos-whale escaped.

Many times they fought thus. Each time thunderbird caught Mimlos-whale there was a terrible battle, and all the trees in that place were uprooted. At last Mimlos-whale escaped to the deep ocean, and Thunderbird gave up the fight. That is why the killer whale still lives in the ocean today. In those places where Thunderbird and Mimlos-whale fought, to this day, no trees grow. Those places are the prairies on the Olympic Peninsula today.

THUNDERBIRD TURNS PEOPLE TO STONE (Told by Luke Hobucket)

A man was living at Beaver Prairie. He was an elk hunter. He went off hunting very early one morning, but soon he came back. He told the people, "I saw a very big bird sitting just a little way above the ground in a tree. That was thunderbird. Here is a feather that I took from Thunderbird's wing." The feather was as long as a canoe paddle. He had had to bend it in order to put it into his arrow quiver when he brought it home with him. After he showed the feather to the people, he said, "I also saw a very big whale on the prairie. It had been carried there by thunderbird. Thunderbird was resting in the tree, because Whale was so heavy."

The man sent word to all the Quileute people living at the mouth of the river. "Come up! We will cut up Whale. He is so large that thunderbird cannot carry him further." All the beach and river Indians came at once to the prairie. There were from three to six people in each whaling canoe. They came to cut up the whale. When they reached that place, Whale was lying there dead in the lower part of the prairie. It was just as that man had said. The people began to measure off the parts each wanted. One family took the saddle. Another family took the head. In this fashion they divided the whole whale. By evening they had it all cut in pieces. All over the ground, pieces of blubber were piled. It was evening. The people were hungry. They cooked some of the whale meat and ate it. It tasted all right. It was good to eat.

It got dark and the clouds overhead became very black. Thunderbird was coming back. He was very angry because the people had stolen his food. Lightning flashed from his eyes. It began to rain a little, not so much at first. Then the rain changed to hail. The hail was larger than a man's fist. It killed and mangled all the people there on the prairie Thunderbird was very angry with those people, because they had taken the whale. After the storm all those people were turned into stone. All the meat and blubber that they had piled there was turned into stone. Thus a ridge was made of great rock blocks from one end of the prairie to the other. The ridge is still there today. Even Whale's ribs and his great head may still be seen.
"

This is the famous lost photograph of a dead Thunderbird in Arizona, just for posterity's sake. LOL {They are suppose to be a mythical bird}

Pteradactyl3.jpg

wannabesleuthkk said:
I doubt we could get our hands on an AWOL list from say 2000 fw?
He may not have deserted, but just finished up w HD. But i'm grasping at straws as usual. I know they have the dental records of enlisted but i know noone's willing to go search em all. I did find something interesting tho. Not of much use, but interesting. There are two accounts in WA. that are listed as dormant/unclaimed under the name of Hobucket. Doubt the bank's gonna tell us anything like last date of activity but one's at Bank of America and the other a savings at Grays Harbor Credit Union in Tahola. One's last name only but the Taholah account has an Anthony Hobucket as owner of unclaimed property. Wish i knew when they went dormant. Oh well
I'll be back later
kk
We hit the jackpot (sort of) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm back. My eyes were crossing at 3 a.m. so i slept til 7,30 and got my son to school, back to sleep til 10. I feel well rested and ready to start over. I've spent the last 2 hours reading the ton of email i got booting up this morning. I also got wrapped up a minute in those stupid movie threads somebody put
in the Jury Room.
When i logged off I was reading the exact article you found last nite Scandi. What a wealth of information. Lyle has got to be from one of the nw tribes so it helps to understand their people. I feel we know a little bit more about Lyle. I just hope this Hobucket lead is not a dead end. Watch him be Makah!
back to work, hugs to everyone
kk

Hi Outofthedark, I looked through your link and couldn't find anything about him. Do you think you could just bring that part up as a 'Snipet'?

Thanks, Scandi

OOD, i had trouble with that link too. I think because it ws just text form. I've got trouble with my ActiveX control, prevent me from opening PDF's with Adobe acrobat reader. The mention of AH is a caption under what was a photo in original article that is not visible when i open it. I'm gonna go try the back door. But caption refered to Anthony loading Steelheads. There's been battles between the tribes and our lovely fed gov for eons. Rights to fishing and territory is always an issue. There is currently a bill before the Senate Comm on Indian Affairs regarding our gov so kindly returning a portion of land taken from the Quileute, that WASN'T THEIRS IN THE FIRST PLACE! The arrogance of our gov (white man) never ceases to amaze me when it comes to what we did to the native americans a century ago. That land never belonged to the feds in the first place, now they wanna give it back in trade deal with the Quileutes. How insulting. but i digress..
I'm still huntin
kk

Wow guys, those Hobuckets sure were popular with the Grays Harbor Sherrif's Dept. I found records of criminal charges dating back to 1901.
(w/ a huge gap in decades, then most listed were more recent, 70's, 80's, and 90's)
Well Edward, Gordon, Tyler and a lady named Eugenia Hobucket all have records in Municipal up to Superior court. The civil cases, Paternity go figure,
are public but i can't say anymore about the criminal charges out of respect to privacy. Most charges were traffic related but a couple mention non traffic criminal as the charge. Anthony wins with the most. 12 i think There were also a couple sealed juvenile records so we'll skip those. It seems the more i read about this area and tribes the more troubled iam at the amount of violence, substance abuse, child abuse and familial dom violence there is among the youth and young adults. Such a shame. There is a great group called the Cirlce of Care that has branches in WA witha special group that handles prevention and treatment for substance abuse and suicide.
google - native americans + suicide
you'll see what i mean
kk

What I posted was a HTML version of a PDF document that I think doesn't work- looking over the HTML version it was actually a picture caption mentioning him- can't find any pictures of him though

Thanks Outofthedark :blowkiss:

Hi Wannabe, I'm thinking with that Hobucket name being so common, there were probably many Lukes and Anthony's, don't you think? I read about one Luke being born in the early 1890's, and he was living in Wa I think, and then in 1905 here is this Luke living in NY. I sure hope CCM knows how to find out about the date of vacation on a bank acct, as that is possibly a hot lead. He had crisp new 20's, like he could have withdrawn money from an account like this. Do you think Lyle would let the rest of his money just sit in limbo like that forever after he was dead and gone?

Scandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member