Why doesn't CPS take away the minor children?

CPS is going to get involved when they have evidence of neglect/abuse. But in many cases CPS will go out of there way to make sure there is such evidence, since removing a child from the home is a last resort for CPS, not a first resort.

In this case, there is no evidence of neglect/abuse. Despite everyone's personal feeling about DB's behavior, it is not against the law to drink alcohol when there are children present. And since no one exactly can prove what DB's state of drunkeness was on that night and if she was in fact 'neglectful' due to being drunk, I don't see how CPS can get involved, especially if there is no past history (either via family/neighbors/etc) documented that children were left unattended due to being drunk.

True, it is up to parent to have sitters hired that are not drinking or doing drugs while watching their children. Jeremy is as guilty as she. He knew she drank. He saw the gallon of booze coming home for the night. He had poor judgement. I suspect he has been told this. They are both parents with very poor judgement....and that wont change.

Most sensible people would never, under any circumstances, allow their child/children to be cared for by a person who is drinking or doing drugs.

We heard Jeremy. He didn't mind, not at all. These are two peas in a pod. They see nothing wrong with their lifestyle.

SBM
The fact that CPS hasn't acted yet in this case stands on it's own. JMO.
Disagree! CPS is often a failure at best, imo.

In this case, there is no evidence of neglect/abuse. Despite everyone's personal feeling about DB's behavior, it is not against the law to drink alcohol when there are children present. And since no one exactly can prove what DB's state of drunkeness was on that night and if she was in fact 'neglectful' due to being drunk, I don't see how CPS can get involved, especially if there is no past history (either via family/neighbors/etc) documented that children were left unattended due to being drunk.
Debbie Bradley said it herself! When someone confesses do you think they should just turn their head and pretend she did nothing to endanger hers and Jeremy's children?
I don't care how many times it was documented that she did this. It only takes one time!

MOO

SBM
Disagree! CPS is often a failure at best, imo

MOO

Do you have any information that shows the CPS in Kansas City MO is often a failure, or are you just making a blanket statement about your opinion of all CPS agencies?

For all we know, the CPS in Kansas City could be the best at doing their job in the whole country. JMO.

Do you have any information that shows the CPS in Kansas City MO is often a failure, or are you just making a blanket statement about your opinion of all CPS agencies?

For all we know, the CPS in Kansas City could be the best at doing their job in the whole country. JMO.

There isn't a state in the country that can make a claim that CPS is a great agency. The govt should never be left to solve personal problems with bad parents...but it is what it is. They have no accountability and make decisions on a case workers' words who oftentimes are abiding by a set of rules, administered by a justice department that has no inkling into the reality of the household. Oftentimes their decisions provide disasterous results...as we have seen by their decisions in every state in the natiion.

The case worker tries to fix a family using a set of guidelines which are written more to protect her than the children.

so true-- and to back up what you say, here is one website full of CPS failures... and believe me, DSS/CPS MO is not absent ;)

http://suncanaa.com/stories

Not arguing your point here just want to point out that you have to weigh the good against the bad - sometimes they do their job right. Just wish it was every time. :(

Salem

In a former role I was in I saw CPS in this area where I live only. I said it was my opinion and I stand by that opinion.

In a former role I was in I saw CPS in this area where I live only. I said it was my opinion and I stand by that opinion.
Thanks for your reply menmo. I was just curious about any knowledge you may have about the KC CPS that would be meaningful to our discussion.

You can't be that naive! If that was really the case, we wouldn't even be here discussing these cases.

Their job is to keep families together. . .to perpetuate the federal system! I know because my best friend is a CPS case worker. I hear her frustrations everyday! She is there to protect children, but the mammoth bureaucracy is an uphill battle. The burnout rate is off the charts, because the good people that are really there for the kids can't really do their jobs. So do they fail? Uh. .she works in the same unit that allowed Josh Powell to have "supervised" visits with his sons. So I guess because DSHS decided that he was not a threat that it means that it was so?! I have zero to null faith in DSHS's decisions. I know too much.

So knowing that DSHS has decided that the boys are safe in the Irwin/Bradley household means nothing to me!!! There is nothing of value to take away from that decision. Please don't make me start posting cases as examples. You have been here too long to know that CPS is a monstrous failure. To use that as a justification is a joke. . .and you KNOW that! How many kids have been failed by CPS? :(

MOO

I can hear your frustration and I understand your friend's frustration, but I was a CPS Investigator for years and I have to tell you that you are not seeing the whole picture with regard to that system.
CPS can only do what the LAW and the COURT allow. The guidelines (laws) are very specific regarding what constitutes an endangered child(ren). You are blaming an agency whose hands are basically tied because they must follow the LAW. If you want change, it has to come from a change in the policy/guidelines/laws FIRST and then be upheld by the courts! A Social Worker cannot just come into a home and decide "well, I don't think these are good parents/bad parents because...whatever". It may be true that they aren't good parents, but there is a LEGAL standard that must be upheld. Social Workers don't make the LAWS about CPS. They merely enforce them and at this time in our society, the LAWS are aimed to keep children with their parents at all costs! The LAW does not recognize that some parents shouldn't have children in their care. The LAW does not recognize that it isn't always in the child's best interest to reunite with a parent after removal. The LAW does not permit a Social Worker to remove children just because he or she doesn't think the child is safe in the parent's care and custody. There is a standard of LAW that the Social Worker must prove in COURT and if that standard isn't met, the JUDGE will order CPS to return the child(ren) to their parents.

ETA: Social Workers are just people trying to do their job. They are similar to LE. They are only allowed to do what the LAW allows. Nothing more.

You can't be that naive! If that was really the case, we wouldn't even be here discussing these cases.

Their job is to keep families together. . .to perpetuate the federal system! I know because my best friend is a CPS case worker. I hear her frustrations everyday! She is there to protect children, but the mammoth bureaucracy is an uphill battle. The burnout rate is off the charts, because the good people that are really there for the kids can't really do their jobs. So do they fail? Uh. .she works in the same unit that allowed Josh Powell to have "supervised" visits with his sons. So I guess because DSHS decided that he was not a threat that it means that it was so?! I have zero to null faith in DSHS's decisions. I know too much.

So knowing that DSHS has decided that the boys are safe in the Irwin/Bradley household means nothing to me!!! There is nothing of value to take away from that decision. Please don't make me start posting cases as examples. You have been here too long to know that CPS is a monstrous failure. To use that as a justification is a joke. . .and you KNOW that! How many kids have been failed by CPS? :(

MOO

Just wanted to add a slight correction here...
Your friend may work for the unit that allowed Josh Powell to have "supervised" visits with his son, but that unit wasn't responsible for making that decision. The COURT SYSTEM was responsible. CPS has no authority to decide who has supervised visits and who doesn't. That is solely by court order, so if anyone is angry about the Powell children, they should be looking at the judge in that case...NOT CPS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milkjug
Back