WI WI - Andrew “Andy” Thomas Viater, 22, Ashland, 22 Jan 1980

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
Missing Person / NamUs #MP20159
Andrew Thomas Viater, Male, White / Caucasian

5FB1DFD6-BC15-4492-B997-994B7E0EECF3.jpeg 491B424A-7271-4F7A-A269-EDC2D07B171E.png

Name: Andrew Thomas Viater
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: January 22, 1980
Location Last Seen: Ashland, Ashland County, Wisconsin

Physical Description
Date of Birth: January 27, 1957
Race: White
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 170 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Andy
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: navy pea coat black seamans type hat, blue jeans and tee shirt. He could possibly be carrying a brown or blue duffle bag.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: soral boots, He is not wearing his glasses.

Circumstances of Disappearance
There was a blizzard that night and at 4 a.m., his dad heard the front door slam. He looked outside and saw footprints in the snow. He followed the footprints off the porch and down the sidewalk. The footprints turned right toward the railroad tracks, his dad followed the footprints. He got to the railroad tracks and then there was nothing.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Ashland Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Det. Gerald Katchka
Agency Phone Number:
715-682-7062
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 201-80
NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 20159

Information Source(s)
Doe Network 4715DMWI
NamUs
WI DOJ
Duluth Tribune News

Last edited:
Written By: news@duluthnewstribune.com | May 23rd 2008 - 12am

Early on Jan. 22, 1980, Andy Viater walked out the door of his family's Ashland home, and hasn't been seen or heard from since.

Twenty-eight years later, police continue to seek answers to what happened to the 22-year-old former Navy seaman.
Detectives with the Ashland Police Department didn't have much beyond a missing person report filed by Viater's parents, Frank and Ida Viater, two days after he disappeared.

"They hadn't seen or heard from him," said Lt. Greg Bebeau, who started with the Ashland department in 1986. "They called in, wanted to know if our department or any of our officers had seen or dealt with him."

*more at link

Last edited:
What was the train schedule? Did snowmobiles follow the train tracks? He left at an odd time which makes me think he must have planned it. When was his enlistment up or had he already finished his tour of duty?

"He followed the footprints off the porch and down the sidewalk," she said. "The footprints turned right toward the railroad tracks, and dad followed the footprints. ... He got to the railroad tracks and then there was nothing, and I said, 'What do you mean, there was nothing? You were following these footprints.' He goes, 'Yeah, but they just ... they were gone.' "

What was the train schedule? Did snowmobiles follow the train tracks? He left at an odd time which makes me think he must have planned it. When was his enlistment up or had he already finished his tour of duty?

"He followed the footprints off the porch and down the sidewalk," she said. "The footprints turned right toward the railroad tracks, and dad followed the footprints. ... He got to the railroad tracks and then there was nothing, and I said, 'What do you mean, there was nothing? You were following these footprints.' He goes, 'Yeah, but they just ... they were gone.' "

It does seem like he purposefully left with a plan in place. He could have jumped onto a train as it went through town (they generally slow down in town) or hitched a ride (the tracks are crossed by streets throughout town) with someone in a car. The next nearest “big” city is Duluth MN, and from there Minneapolis, MN. He could have gone anywhere from there. The UID in MN had used an assumed ID, and then near the end of his life he went to Minnesota. Perhaps Andrew had become familiar with MN, moved to AZ (as they think the UID spent time there), then circled back to MN?

The Missing Veterans Facebook page post dated 3/12/2015 is for this guy. His sister has identified herself in the comments. The Facebook post provides the same link above. He was struggling after leaving the Navy so this makes a bit more sense.

<modsnip: broken link>

Last edited by a moderator:
I put them side by side. Strong resemblance for sure.
View attachment 229409

Yeah I can definitely see the resemblance. Battle Lake, MN is also just 4 hours away from Ashland, WI. Do we know if the nearby train line runs that route?

Also, the unidentified man was known to have been living under the assumed identity since 1990, according to Namus, so it's possible he could've assumed it longer than that.

The only difference is that Andrew's eyes are given as "brown" whereas the unidentified male's are recorded as "blue." But could that be an error?

Yeah I can definitely see the resemblance. Battle Lake, MN is also just 4 hours away from Ashland, WI. Do we know if the nearby train line runs that route?

Also, the unidentified man was known to have been living under the assumed identity since 1990, according to Namus, so it's possible he could've assumed it longer than that.

The only difference is that Andrew's eyes are given as "brown" whereas the unidentified male's are recorded as "blue." But could that be an error?

In Namus, there’s an additional note on eye color for Andrew that’s says “possibly blue”.

I think it's very possible that Andrew and Battle Creek UID are one in the same. I did find this UID but the identifiers don't really line up so not likely. What caught my attention was time frame, location and that he might have worn glasses. There are photos of clothing and accessories at link.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number031980-1
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years)25-45
Estimated Year of Death1980
Estimated PMI--
Height6' 0"(72 inches) , Measured
Weight165-175 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundMarch 19, 1980
NamUs Case CreatedOctober 4, 2019
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
LocationRhinelander, Wisconsin 54501
CountyOneida County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Circumstances of RecoveryDeceased was found in a field
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Descriptionscalp hair is slightly long and gray to black in color. Slight sideburns are present. Bilateral frontal alopecia is present.
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair DescriptionRelatively clean shaven with perhaps 1/2 to 1/3 of a days growth of beard visible on the chin
Left Eye ColorUnknown
Right Eye ColorUnknown
Eye DescriptionPossibly wore glasses based on brownish areas on either side of the nose.
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
thin black belt
On the Body

Accessories
brown fur ear muffs
On the Body

Accessories
brown plaid scarf
On the Body

Clothing
brown corduroy jacket
On the Body

Clothing
blue button up sweater
On the Body

Clothing
dark blue corduroy pants
On the Body

Clothing
Helbros Invincible brand watch
On the Body

Footwear
black oxford shoes size 12
On the Body

I think it's very possible that Andrew and Battle Creek UID are one in the same. I did find this UID but the identifiers don't really line up so not likely. What caught my attention was time frame, location and that he might have worn glasses. There are photos of clothing and accessories at link.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number031980-1
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years)25-45
Estimated Year of Death1980
Estimated PMI--
Height6' 0"(72 inches) , Measured
Weight165-175 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundMarch 19, 1980
NamUs Case CreatedOctober 4, 2019
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
LocationRhinelander, Wisconsin 54501
CountyOneida County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Circumstances of RecoveryDeceased was found in a field
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Descriptionscalp hair is slightly long and gray to black in color. Slight sideburns are present. Bilateral frontal alopecia is present.
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair DescriptionRelatively clean shaven with perhaps 1/2 to 1/3 of a days growth of beard visible on the chin
Left Eye ColorUnknown
Right Eye ColorUnknown
Eye DescriptionPossibly wore glasses based on brownish areas on either side of the nose.
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
thin black belt
On the Body

Accessories
brown fur ear muffs
On the Body

Accessories
brown plaid scarf
On the Body

Clothing
brown corduroy jacket
On the Body

Clothing
blue button up sweater
On the Body

Clothing
dark blue corduroy pants
On the Body

Clothing
Helbros Invincible brand watch
On the Body

Footwear
black oxford shoes size 12
On the Body
Do you think that Andrew’s hair could have possibly been described as “slightly long” and gray to black in color? That’s the first thing I noticed and it’s hard to tell. His military photo makes it look like his hair is medium brown, but then the other photo it looks darker...and the frontal balding on the UID. You’re right about the timing and location though. I always say, with cases this old, it can’t hurt submitting. (JMOO)

I knew Andy. His hair was light brown. Very curly. Afro curly.

In the NAMUS report stated height (measured) was 6 ft. Andy was 5' 10". Don't know if that's a normal or usual discrepancy. I don't remember how tall he was precisely.

Was Ashland PD ever notified about the subject found in Rhinelander?

I knew Andy. His hair was light brown. Very curly. Afro curly.

In the NAMUS report stated height (measured) was 6 ft. Andy was 5' 10". Don't know if that's a normal or usual discrepancy. I don't remember how tall he was precisely.

Was Ashland PD ever notified about the subject found in Rhinelander?

I never contacted. I’m a poster but I don’t like contacting. I know there are people that don’t mind doing it so if someone would like to that would be great.

Doesn’t look like anyone submitted Rhinelander or battle lake to namus directly. Can you folks please confirm? Really wish you’d submit the ones you really suspect - I know some of you are afraid to get involved but I’ve done it a bunch of times and it’s painless. Just email the namus contact

Doesn’t look like anyone submitted Rhinelander or battle lake to namus directly. Can you folks please confirm? Really wish you’d submit the ones you really suspect - I know some of you are afraid to get involved but I’ve done it a bunch of times and it’s painless. Just email the namus contact

I did not contact. It’s anxiety that drives most of us non contacters not fear. Feel free to contact for any of my suggestions. I’m rarely confident enough in a match to do anything other than ask for thoughts on that match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back