WI WI - Carol Joyce Wells, 28, Oshkosh, 19 April 1974

chaddylex

Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case
Reaction score
New entry into NamUs. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Carol Joyce Wells, Female, White / Caucasian
Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age 28 Years
Current Age 77 Years
First Name Carol
Middle Name Joyce
Last Name Wells

Sex Female
Height 5' 8" - 5' 9" (68 - 69 Inches)
Weight 130 - 140 lbs
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact April 19, 1973
NamUs Case Created September 1, 2021
Last Known Location Map
Location Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54902
County Winnebago County
Missing From Tribal Land No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land No

Circumstances of Disappearance Carol J. Wells went missing in April of 1973 from Winnebago County, Wisconsin. She was reported missing by her brother after a few weeks of not having contact with her.

Physical Description

Hair Color Brown
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown

Just going to toss out a few suggestions - I wish she had a photo.
929UFKY
10UFTN
(I'm hesitant to suggest Lady In The Dunes, mostly because I have no idea why she would end up in Mass., but I wouldn't rule out Carol entirely.)

I suspect that this was not her maiden name. I really wish namus was cleArer about that

I found a divorce record for lloyd f. Wells from a carol Joyce wells in the Oshkosh court system. However, it doesn’t list her maiden name. Lloyd died in 2017. Apparently he was a truck driver. His home with carol (the one he divorced later, not necessarily our carol) is listed for sale currently.
I could well be barking up the wrong tree, but too much data is missing for this to be her maiden name.

Last edited:
That house they lived in was under construction in 1971. I wonder when her brother last heard from her.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

A photo of Carol has been added to her NamUs profile.

yAq6AB9.png

I’m going to put this here since nobody at namus reads my emails anymore since Allen left. Hopefully family will see this: wells lived at the house location until he died. Under construction in 1971. This house is currently for sale. Real estate sale posts show a little weird patio with chairs on it outside. Wonder if the current owners would mind the police digging it up? Reason I ask is the full basement and the garage are both mentioned in the ad, and perhaps the patio was added later.

I think it might have been Hardin. So Carol Joyce Hardin. Unverified since my ancestry site membership expired, it only shows me so much. But it associated a Winnebago marriage record of a “Hardin” and Lloyd F Wells.
Ermmm, help. I found an obit for someone with that name who is the right age and looks VERY similar. I’m not familiar with protocol.

I think there’s a possibility she just left on her own. But I cannot find any record of that divorce mentioned above. Where was that record located?

Her maiden name was not Hardin:

If Lloyd F was (our) Carol’s husband, he was granted a divorce from her in December 1973.

Attachments

• The_Oshkosh_Northwestern_Wed__Dec_19__1973_.pdf
    239.3 KB · Views: 7
I’m going to put this here since nobody at namus reads my emails anymore since Allen left. Hopefully family will see this: wells lived at the house location until he died. Under construction in 1971. This house is currently for sale. Real estate sale posts show a little weird patio with chairs on it outside. Wonder if the current owners would mind the police digging it up? Reason I ask is the full basement and the garage are both mentioned in the ad, and perhaps the patio was added late
The City of Oshkosh maintains an online, searchable, public historical record of building permits that is accessible to the public, and free of charge.
Good call out on the porch, but in looking at the records for the property from 1971-present, there is no record of a permit being pulled to add a porch, or any other addition.
Oshkosh Building Permits

Last edited:
The lack of information regarding this disappearance is unfortunate. Though this happened a couple of years before I was born, I had never heard of the incident until seeing it here a few months ago, despite having lived in the area my entire life.
Extensive searching of Newspapers.com doesn’t even turn up a mention of her being missing.
Perhaps she did leave on her own accord, as Oshkosh was a much smaller city at the time, and the disappearance certainly would have been significant in the community, and likely mentioned in the local newspaper.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W4R_DR1V3R
Back