WV WV - Aliayah Lunsford, 3, Lewis Co., 24 Sep 2011 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem with mandatory rehab is it very seldom works. They have to want to stop. They know what to do and say to get through rehab and then immediately go out and start again because they never intended to stop, just did what was needed to get out of trouble.

UHC in Clarksburg donated the old hospital to Highland out of Charleston for a behavioral health hospital. Not only would it provide needed services, but jobs for the area. Fairmont Hospital has been blocking them because they think it will take some of their patients. They have now cut back from 225 beds to 150 and 334 staff to 282 in their proposal to try to get it passed. In fact, they were to have a hearing yesterday about it. http://www.cpubco.com/articles/2011/10/20/news/03.txt

My dad's father was an alcoholic. My dad did not want to put his family through the same things he and his siblings and my grandmother went through, so he stopped drinking and never touched it again. Yes, the system failed LL, but ultimately it was her decision to continue the cycle. People should use their past to learn from and try to improve their circumstances, not as an excuse for bad behavior.

The only problem with mandatory rehab is it very seldom works. They have to want to stop. They know what to do and say to get through rehab and then immediately go out and start again because they never intended to stop, just did what was needed to get out of trouble.

UHC in Clarksburg donated the old hospital to Highland out of Charleston for a behavioral health hospital. Not only would it provide needed services, but jobs for the area. Fairmont Hospital has been blocking them because they think it will take some of their patients. They have now cut back from 225 beds to 150 and 334 staff to 282 in their proposal to try to get it passed. In fact, they were to have a hearing yesterday about it. http://www.cpubco.com/articles/2011/10/20/news/03.txt

My dad's father was an alcoholic. My dad did not want to put his family through the same things he and his siblings and my grandmother went through, so he stopped drinking and never touched it again. Yes, the system failed LL, but ultimately it was her decision to continue the cycle. People should use their past to learn from and try to improve their circumstances, not as an excuse for bad behavior.

I agree, it doesn't always work. But if after a specified time, they can test clean, only then consider returning the children. And continue to require drug testing.

I really don't know the solution but we have to do something for these children! I'm not trying to excuse LL's behavior or blame CPS. What I am saying is that the current solutions we have aren't working and we need to figure out what does work. Then do it. We have a system that is ineffectual and overwhelmed.

I worked for 10 years for a private nonprofit that was given CPS referrals. We went into the homes every week to try to help the family before, and after their children were removed from the home. Many times I knew the parents were not ready to have the children back but CPS sent them back anyway. Many times I felt like the children shouldn't have been removed in the first place. All of the time, I knew that CPS didn't spend enough time with the family to even know what the problems were in the first place.

I have been following the news about Highland. There is no way that Highland is going to take business away from Fairmont Hospital. There is plenty of room for both!

For the past 2 days a very low flying airplane(s?) has been all over the properties in my area (I live within a 2 mile radius from Aliayah's house). I know it isn't the utility companies because they utilize helicopters. Have any of the other locals on here heard anything that could have to do with a plane(or airplanes)? Wouldn't they be using helicopters to search?? And no, this isn't normal activity. The leaves are shedding more and more everyday, which would make a search by aircraft easier, but I don't know.

We get this every couple of years and they are (or might be anyhow) actually aerial photographers. My late mother-in-law always purchased the photos they took of her farm. They wait til fall to have better shots of the surrounding ground, roads, etc.

I agree, it doesn't always work. But if after a specified time, they can test clean, only then consider returning the children. And continue to require drug testing.

I really don't know the solution but we have to do something for these children! I'm not trying to excuse LL's behavior or blame CPS. What I am saying is that the current solutions we have aren't working and we need to figure out what does work. Then do it. We have a system that is ineffectual and overwhelmed.

I worked for 10 years for a private nonprofit that was given CPS referrals. We went into the homes every week to try to help the family before, and after their children were removed from the home. Many times I knew the parents were not ready to have the children back but CPS sent them back anyway. Many times I felt like the children shouldn't have been removed in the first place. All of the time, I knew that CPS didn't spend enough time with the family to even know what the problems were in the first place.

I have been following the news about Highland. There is no way that Highland is going to take business away from Fairmont Hospital. There is plenty of room for both!

I agree too. I would like to see it more as a stipulation as in IF you want your children back, you must go to rehab, you must followup, you must be verified as clean and sober for a period of time. I would not want to see it mandatory in that they have to go to rehab and they have to take their children back. And they need to find a way to make sure it is enforced. Too many people go through the different systems and test positive and nothing is done about it. Everything seems to come down to cost. But it ends up costing them more with repeating offenders than if they would have done a thorough job in the first place and prevented the repeat, another vicious cycle. JMO

I agree too. I would like to see it more as a stipulation as in IF you want your children back, you must go to rehab, you must followup, you must be verified as clean and sober for a period of time. I would not want to see it mandatory in that they have to go to rehab and they have to take their children back. And they need to find a way to make sure it is enforced. Too many people go through the different systems and test positive and nothing is done about it. Everything seems to come down to cost. But it ends up costing them more with repeating offenders than if they would have done a thorough job in the first place and prevented the repeat, another vicious cycle. JMO

Did you see wsaz's report this morning about the middle school principal that was arrested for dui WITH his children in the car AFTER he wrecked the car?

It's not just families like the Lunsfords who have been in and out of trouble with the law. That is what scares the heck out of me.

November 7th.

Thank you. It will be interesting to see how many other crimes were discovered from looking at all that video. I've wondered if the public searches were stoped to keep people from disturbing other crime scenes that were being watched for more evidence of drug activity. The last thing they needed were volunteers stumbling on someones meth lab!

The last meth lab bust in my county was very dangerous. The guy had the building rigged with bombs.

I can't believe after 3 weeks, no one has found 1 other picture of this little girl....

Did you see wsaz's report this morning about the middle school principal that was arrested for dui WITH his children in the car AFTER he wrecked the car?

It's not just families like the Lunsfords who have been in and out of trouble with the law. That is what scares the heck out of me.

They are everywhere and in every socioeconomic class. And one of the many reasons I really wish I could home school my child.

When the FBI ordered the media from the Bendale church and surrounding area, they stated that media was not to talk to the volunteers who were searching AND the immediate family.

I would expect that from LE if I were a reporter. That was not the time or the place. If the volunteers were there to search, then they need to search without the interference of reporters. And what does a reporter need to ask a volunteer at that point anyway? Hopefully the volunteers were there with only one goal in mind and wouldn't have been interested in talking to the media anyway.

One reporter attempted to contact the family on Dennison Street and all the family did was close the blinds. As of yesterday, no family members have been in contact with the media, including those interviewed on-air at the time of the disappearance.

I'd close the blinds, too, in this day and age. With how the media and people all over the internet have become judge and jury in these cases? With how low the media will go to create what they think is a 'story'? You bet I'd close the blinds. IMO, immediate family of a missing child should be the ones to initiate contact with reporters, not the other way around. And if they choose to lay low, then that's fine with me. It's their choice.

At least two of the investigators were noted in a conversation, stating that they had received calls from the Nancy Grace show. They told the shows producers that they did not want this to be a media circus and they would be wasting their time coming here.

If that's true, then good for them! Major kudos from me for that.

When the FBI ordered the media from the Bendale church and surrounding area, they stated that media was not to talk to the volunteers who were searching AND the immediate family.

One reporter attempted to contact the family on Dennison Street and all the family did was close the blinds. As of yesterday, no family members have been in contact with the media, including those interviewed on-air at the time of the disappearance.

At least two of the investigators were noted in a conversation, stating that they had received calls from the Nancy Grace show. They told the shows producers that they did not want this to be a media circus and they would be wasting their time coming here.

Do you know if any family members participated in the search?

I just don't understand LE's desire to keep this out of the media unless they already know what happened and/or where she is.

As a mother and a grandmother, I don't see me keeping my mouth shut just because LE says so if it was my child/grandchild/niece/nephew.......

It seems like nobody is talking at all! No family, no friends, nothing.

Our local stations used to have comment sections below every story. They got so out of hand, that they quit doing that on a lot of stories that they figured would get nasty comments. We see very little investigative reporting in this part of the state.

I'm a new user but a long-time lurker on this site. I'm also from WV (although not from the area that Aliayah went missing) and I knew if I wanted to follow the story, this forum would be the place to go. The lack of coverage given to this tragedy has really incensed me, and even though I know the FBI and local LE have been working the case, the lack of public information has been pretty infuriating. I think I heard somewhere that there are very few photos of Aliayah known to exist so maybe that's why there haven't been many given out.
Thank to all for not letting this precious child be discarded and forgotten about!

I'm a new user but a long-time lurker on this site. I'm also from WV (although not from the area that Aliayah went missing) and I knew if I wanted to follow the story, this forum would be the place to go. The lack of coverage given to this tragedy has really incensed me, and even though I know the FBI and local LE have been working the case, the lack of public information has been pretty infuriating. I think I heard somewhere that there are very few photos of Aliayah known to exist so maybe that's why there haven't been many given out.
Thank to all for not letting this precious child be discarded and forgotten about!

Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to post! The lack of information given out by LE and the family is very frustrating!

Working on a new thread, will be closing this one in a few...

Ima

:goodpost: :welcome5:

Thanks for joining us.

We've all come to love Aliayah and are still hoping she will be found alive and well. We're pinning our hopes on LE to find her and either send her to a good and loving home or worst case scenareo, give a final resting place to this precious child.

Last but not least, we want the person (s) responsible for this to pay for any and everything that was wrongfully done to her and probably her siblings too!

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member