WV WV - Grace Smith 35, car found, keys on hood, belongings inside, Gallipolis Ferry, 23 Feb 2022 *Reward*

I do agree that this is odd wording. Especially since there is very scant information following the statement.

Why do they think the car was placed instead of her driving it there and meeting with someone? That very much seems that they have some more info.

How much traffic is there where the place where the car was found? Is it a road that is traveled? Or was she off "the beaten path"?

The keys being on the hood are like she was standing there and then what happened? OR Did she walk away or did she get out with the keys in her hand, talk with someone - putting down the keys on the hood, and then whatever happened. This doesn't seem like she was alone and left the car because why put the keys on the hood? Either leave them in the car or take them with you. At least those are things I would think. Not putting them on the hood.

Also - where is her phone? That is the big thing. I don't think LE is giving out enough info and if the family knows? Are they holding back or being told not to say certain things? Have they searched the 2 ponds?
I haven't read all of the comments yet so if some of these have been answered, just look over my post. There were some things that have already stuck out to me (some I know by either my personal experience or thru the experience of friends/family members) its all just my opinion only

1. The reason why LE believe her car was placed there is because the keys were on the hood and essential belongings you'd have on your person (especially an addict) were left behind
2. Where I'm from, keys left on a hood signals someone threw your name in a hat (aka you've really really offended them in some manner)
3. Her agreeing to entering a rehab is an extremely pliable temp cover for a perp
I don't know how many times I've heard other addicts scheduled to go to rehab (especially the next day) talking about it non stop while proceeding to get as blistered as possible for the 'last time'
I can absolutely see someone using this an opportunity to cash in- meaning her missing would have two optional outcomes- either she wouldn't be pursued as missing persay under suspicious circumstances because family would think she backed out and was in hiding or she wouldn't be missed for a moment due to the fact of everyone assuming she was in rehab
4. Her cellphone
First thing for a perp to destroy/get rid of. It's nothing but a tracker and tattle tale. Look at the cases of missing persons with the info of either cell phone left behind (not on person) or never found and untraceable

Sadly, I have some feelings about this case and neither of them are good so I'll keep them to myself. This is a familiar format I've seen in cases all over the country that it's almost textbook. Her size and weight is extremely telling as well.

Edited to Add: After reading all the comments, there were a few things I wanted to add:
The cell phone being out of service is most likely a result of- the fact her sister confirmed Grace was homeless & alledegedly borrowed $20 for gas would lead me to believe she had a pay as you go phone where it's prepaid monthly. I'd say it's expired as payment wasn't received at the due date
The Estranged Husband
My bets are placed on him NOT being involved & concentrating on her car being moved to his home is a futile waste. It was said that others were rummaging thru her car. Even if it was an ex that didn't end on good terms, if one was missing, the car located close to my home, and ppl were just nosing thru it, I'd certainly take it back to my place to await police seizing it before I'd allow potential evidence to be compromised. If he was involved, guarantee the car wouldn't be close to him in any manner nor would he have made anyone aware he had it in his possession to release for investigation.... Think about it
The spot the car was found in
I was married to an addict in active throes of addiction for four years. They are very methodical & become creatures of habit. Her sister said it was not unusual for Grace to be there & again confirmed she was living out of her car. Ten to one that being a Wildlife reservation it started out as her 'drug spot' & eventually that's where she was sleeping

Last edited:
I haven't read all of the comments yet so if some of these have been answered, just look over my post. There were some things that have already stuck out to me (some I know by either my personal experience or thru the experience of friends/family members) its all just my opinion only

1. The reason why LE believe her car was placed there is because the keys were on the hood and essential belongings you'd have on your person (especially an addict) were left behind
2. Where I'm from, keys left on a hood signals someone threw your name in a hat (aka you've really really offended them in some manner)
3. Her agreeing to entering a rehab is an extremely pliable temp cover for a perp
I don't know how many times I've heard other addicts scheduled to go to rehab (especially the next day) talking about it non stop while proceeding to get as blistered as possible for the 'last time'
I can absolutely see someone using this an opportunity to cash in- meaning her missing would have two optional outcomes- either she wouldn't be pursued as missing persay under suspicious circumstances because family would think she backed out and was in hiding or she wouldn't be missed for a moment due to the fact of everyone assuming she was in rehab
4. Her cellphone
First thing for a perp to destroy/get rid of. It's nothing but a tracker and tattle tale. Look at the cases of missing persons with the info of either cell phone left behind (not on person) or never found and untraceable

Sadly, I have some feelings about this case and neither of them are good so I'll keep them to myself. This is a familiar format I've seen in cases all over the country that it's almost textbook. Her size and weight is extremely telling as well.

Edited to Add: After reading all the comments, there were a few things I wanted to add:
The cell phone being out of service is most likely a result of- the fact her sister confirmed Grace was homeless & alledegedly borrowed $20 for gas would lead me to believe she had a pay as you go phone where it's prepaid monthly. I'd say it's expired as payment wasn't received at the due date
The Estranged Husband
My bets are placed on him NOT being involved & concentrating on her car being moved to his home is a futile waste. It was said that others were rummaging thru her car. Even if it was an ex that didn't end on good terms, if one was missing, the car located close to my home, and ppl were just nosing thru it, I'd certainly take it back to my place to await police seizing it before I'd allow potential evidence to be compromised. If he was involved, guarantee the car wouldn't be close to him in any manner nor would he have made anyone aware he had it in his possession to release for investigation.... Think about it
The spot the car was found in
I was married to an addict in active throes of addiction for four years. They are very methodical & become creatures of habit. Her sister said it was not unusual for Grace to be there & again confirmed she was living out of her car. Ten to one that being a Wildlife reservation it started out as her 'drug spot' & eventually that's where she was sleeping
Excellent information!

The TNT area in Point Pleasant is technically a wildlife area, but that's not really descriptive. It's a literal swamp that contains a large number of crumbling concrete domes which stored TNT during WWII. Some of that leaked into the soil before it was eventually removed. I don't know how thorough of a job the authorities got to do cleaning it up. A large portion of that area is not supposed to be accessed by the public because it is not safe. This is why I have never believed the area was actually searched. There are people who maintain the area and try to keep out tresspassers, but I feel like they may be stretched thin.

The local economy over there is centered on history-themed tourism. The prices of things make you feel like you've stepped into the past. There do not seem to be many of what I would consider middle class jobs. There are vast, vast wooded areas with steep hills. Again, I do not see how these areas could have been searched even once. There is too much ground to cover.

The Ohio River goes along Point Pleasant, and it seems to run pretty fast. Yes, a straight shot to that other area, but to anywhere else too, really. Just not a good situation. I feel bad for Grace's family. What a terrible thing to wonder about.

MISSING PERSON: Grace Allison Smith 35, of Gallipolis Ferry has been reported missing by family. She was last seen at her father’s home on February 23. If you have any information on her whereabouts please notify the Mason County Sheriff’s Office or call 911.

274930264_262469006070175_155212012573910376_n.jpg

According to the sheriff’s office and Smith’s relatives, her car was found Friday, Feb. 25 in the TNT area with her keys on the hood and belongings inside the vehicle. Her relatives also say her hair is currently dyed grey.

Sheriff's office searches for missing Mason Co. woman
There is an October 2022 story about this case but I don't know how to share it. The sister was talking to Dateline about Grace's disappearance. It's really so sad!

I followed the link in the tweet and got their news report but not a link to the featured program.

OCT 17, 2022
Sister looking for answers in February disappearance of West Virginia woman Grace Allison Smith

Grace grew up in Point Pleasant, West Virginia with her two older sisters, Jodi and Jill. “She was always just around me and my older sister,” Jodi told Dateline. “She just gravitated towards us and was kind of following us around.” Jodi said their eldest sister, Jill died in 2002 from a brain aneurysm.

Jodi told Dateline that ever since then, it’s just been her and Grace.

The Mason County Sheriff’s Office is offering a $7,500 reward for any information that leads to Grace’s whereabouts.

Grace is 5’4” and weighs 90 lbs. She has blue eyes and short gray hair. She was last seen wearing a blue jacket with a yellow sweater underneath, black Ugg boots, and blue jeans. She also has a tattoo of a fairy on her lower back.

Anyone with information about Grace’s whereabouts is asked to call the Mason County Sheriff’s Office at 304-675-3838

You know this case is really bothering me. I'm going to be totally honest here. I don't usually disclose this on the internet but I counsel addicts and I've spent years studying their behaviors, reasoning, and the process of addiction itself. The Missing is a passion of mine as I've worked with LE for close to ten years helping to find missing people and unsolved situations. This case has been on my mind since yesterday and I just can't shake it.

The case starts (for me) with the question as to why she readily agreed to go to rehab because it's truly rare that an individual will choose to go unless it's used as a bargaining chip (legal or personal) or to run and hide after being caught up in something (owing money to dealers, ripping someone off on a substantial amount, or signing discovery on someone). That's one big question that I feel could possibly put a lot in perspective in the how, why, and who of Grace's disappearance. My opinion only

You know this case is really bothering me. I'm going to be totally honest here. I don't usually disclose this on the internet but I counsel addicts and I've spent years studying their behaviors, reasoning, and the process of addiction itself. The Missing is a passion of mine as I've worked with LE for close to ten years helping to find missing people and unsolved situations. This case has been on my mind since yesterday and I just can't shake it.

The case starts (for me) with the question as to why she readily agreed to go to rehab because it's truly rare that an individual will choose to go unless it's used as a bargaining chip (legal or personal) or to run and hide after being caught up in something (owing money to dealers, ripping someone off on a substantial amount, or signing discovery on someone). That's one big question that I feel could possibly put a lot in perspective in the how, why, and who of Grace's disappearance. My opinion only

Well, I'm glad you're here to help us figure things out....

I know I was initially puzzled that the family all said they were celebrating or feeling proud when Grace announcing that was check into rehab, I guess if it's atypical to 'voluntarily' go, that would explain it.

The following is a general/broad line of questioning.

They recently clarified that she was living out of her car/homeless, but surely she had friends who she could stay over with? They said the stuff she bought was perishable and frozen over/bad when they found it. I have a hard time believing she would buy perishables unless she had some place to store it temporarily, or only bought just enough to eat in one setting. (But even then, how would she have cooked/defrosted food?)

Here it's been speculated whether Grace's disappearance is related to drugs. This has come up quite a few times with the Brianna Maitland case, who disappeared in 2004 and has never been found. The PI's investigating the case say they don't think Maitland was abducted/killed over a drug debt, since doing that means there is 0 chance of recovering the debt. If it was a 'warning' or 'lesson,' it is undercut by there being no body.

Also, I'm thinking there had to be another car? the TNT seems massive enough that walking from area to area might be impossible or overly difficult.

Last edited:
There was an intact human female skeleton found in Scioto Co, OH, which is one hour away from Point Pleasant, near the river. I'll try to link it below, but if if I mess it up, it is UP98423 on Nameus. Perhaps Grace's sister could check up with them?
Has anyone found additional details about these remains? If the remains are skeletal only then it might take an extended amount of time to identify the remains. Hopefully the jewelry found may provide some clues to determine whether this could be Grace.

Thoughts? I know the weight is off but I think they look alike.

Thoughts? I know the weight is off but I think they look alike.

The height is off. Grace is described as 5'4, blue eyes and has a tattoo on her lower back.

“We obviously suspect some sort of foul play involved," Miller said. "It’s just not having a crime scene, not having an eyewitness, not having firsthand information of anything. It hinders what we can within the bounds of the law.”

Smith was last seen on 3 Mile Road in Mason County, West Virginia on February 23, 2022. She left her mother's residence in her vehicle at 8:30 p.m., and her mother gave her $20 to pay for gas. That day she Smith spoke to her sister and her father separately and said she felt unsafe with the people she was associating with, and that she planned to check into a rehabilitation program for her drug problem.

Her mother tried to call her on her cellular phone at 11:30 p.m., but got no answer. Smith was supposed to meet with her family the next day so they could take her to rehab, but she never showed up. She has never been heard from again.

On February 25, her car was found abandoned in the McClintic Wildlife Management Area, with her keys lying on the hood and most of her personal belongings, including her clothes, inside the vehicle. The location is about ten miles from Smith's mother's residence. Authorities determined she did place any calls from her phone after leaving her mother's home.

At the time of her disappearance, Smith was homeless and living out of her car. She has a young daughter by her ex-husband; they divorced in 2021. She also has a teenage son from a prior relationship. Foul play is suspected in her case; police are investigating it as a possible homicide.

I will be returning to this area in a few months for a regular family vacation. I’m sad that Grace has not been found and we have not heard of any progress in her case. I hope there is action behind the scenes that is not apparent.

I live in Point Pleasant and, as everyone knows, "bad gas travels fast in a small town." The gossip mill here should be an industry. Just like when Leah Hickman was murdered, everyone has a theory. But, no one knows anything for sure. I know that Grace came into the store in which I used to work about a month before she disappeared. It was the only time I'd ever met her, but she was intensely sweet and polite. I used to see so many people at that job, but when her face came across the news, I remembered her because when you work with customers, nice can be a rarity.

Anyway, sorry. Not much to add here. I'll update if I hear anything.

“Though tips have died down and some of Smith's friends at the time have passed away, Jones still believes someone out there knows something. There is still a $7,500 reward for anyone with information that could help deputies locate Smith.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donna_Avery
Back