WV WV - Grace Smith 35, car found, keys on hood, belongings inside, Gallipolis Ferry, 23 Feb 2022 *Reward*

Family of missing Mason County woman pleads for people to come forward with information

[...]
She said her sister told her she was hanging around the wrong crew of people and felt unsafe even carrying a knife with her.
[...]

It might be helpful in Grace's case to know more about this statement. "Wrong crew of people" could imply many things, but if Grace carried a knife for protection then that suggests she felt some physical danger.

POINT PLEASANT — A candlelight vigil for Grace Allison Smith, who has been missing since Feb. 23, will be held Thursday, 8 p.m., on the steps of the Mason County Courthouse in Point Pleasant.

It has been three months since family members have seen or spoken to Smith, according to her cousin, Hannah Taylor, who is organizing the event, along with Vickki Thomas Edwards and Jodi Jones.

Smith was last seen on Three Mile Road in Mason County. Her car was found abandoned in the TNT area with her personal belongings still inside, and the keys located on the car hood.

“With this vigil, we are hoping to show her family that no one has forgotten, and to keep her name in the front of everyone’s minds and on the news,” Taylor said.

Pastor Jonathan Pinson will be leading a prayer at the vigil, followed by a moment of silence. Candles will be lit shortly before dark, and speakers will reminisce about their favorite moments with Smith.

“Though slow-moving for the family, Mason County Sheriff Corey Miller reports these 89 days have been full of six property searches, seven home searches and more than 100 calls with tips. The one thing they are still missing is closure.”

Family of missing Mason County woman pleads for people to come forward with information

[...]
She said her sister told her she was hanging around the wrong crew of people and felt unsafe even carrying a knife with her.
[...]
Each time I visit this thread I find this statement concerning. I haven't seen any additional details about this, but if we knew more about the "wrong crew of people", or why Grace felt unsafe, that might shed more light on Grace's disappearance. MOO

“Grace Allison Smith, 35, of Gallipolis Ferry was last seen at her father's home near Three Mile Road on Feb. 23, the Mason County Sheriff’s Office said. A reward for information on her location has been bumped up to $7,500.”

The family could consider reaching out to some of these investigative journalism podcast people to keep interest up in Grace's case. Point Pleasant is not a regular town-it has an unusual tourism industry and an unusual history which may draw attention to the case. The area is also close to the Ohio missing women problem that is sometimes mentioned in true crime documentaries and podcasts.

They kind of need dogs, dedicated, experienced ground searchers, and private investigators at this point. Something has to be shaken loose.

Just thinking.

“A billboard seeking information about Grace Allison Smith, 35, of Gallipolis Ferry is now erected in Henderson across from the U.S. post office.”

“A reward for information on her location has been bumped up to $7,500.”

Grace Smith, of Gallipolis Ferry, has been missing since February 23, 2022, and the community is trying everything they can to find her.

In June, the Mason County Sheriff’s Department said that the reward for information leading to Smith’s whereabouts increased from $6,000 to $7,500, and earlier this month, a billboard was erected in the Henderson area of Mason County to keep Smith’s name and photo top of mind.

Grace Smith was last seen on February 23, 2022, and Mason County deputies found her car parked in the TNT area with the keys on the hood and her belongings still inside.

The sheriff’s office has also been working with the West Virginia State Police and the FBI on certain areas of the case, but they are still missing vital information that could be used to find her.

The sheriff’s office posted a message to their Facebook page on Friday, Oct. 21, urging hunters to report anything unusual while they are out hunting or scouting because that information may prove to be useful in law enforcement cases, including the investigation into a Mason County woman’s disappearance.

DEC 5, 2022
Grace Allison Smith

grace_allison_smith.jpg

35-year-old Grace Allison Smith disappeared on February 23, 2022, in Mason County, West Virginia. According to her sister, Jodi, Grace was homeless at the time and living out of her car. On February 23, Grace went to her parents' house in Mason County to shower and do her laundry. That was the last time Grace was seen. Two days later, her car was found with her purse and keys on the hood. In October 2022, Mason County Sheriff Corey Miller told Dateline that he believes foul play is involved in Grace's disappearance. Grace is 5’4”, and weighs 90 lbs. She has blue eyes and short gray hair. She was last seen wearing a blue jacket with a yellow sweater underneath, black Ugg boots, and blue jeans. She has a tattoo of a fairy on her lower back. Anyone with information about Grace’s whereabouts is asked to call the Mason County Sheriff’s Office at 304-675-3838.

It’s stated she weighed 90lbs, that calculates to a 15.47 BMI. According to the CDC anything below 18.5 BMI is considered underweight (healthy BMI range is 18.5-24.9)*

I’m curious if her family or friends noticed her losing weight prior to her disappearance, (ie. the past month or year/s). OR if her weight fluctuated consistently over the years OR she was always underweight.

The reason why I’m interested is because that could help provide insight into her mental state or possible drug use.

This is only a possible theory and I am in no way insinuating or accusing GS of any sort of mental illness or drug use. It is merely a line of inquiry I’m interested in, especially considering her sister saying that she had been hanging out with the wrong crowd as mentioned by @Dargon335

Snipped for focus
[...]
[...]

* What Is My BMI?

All speculation is MHOO
ETA: I know the topic of her weight and rehab have been discussed in the thread, but I think it’s important!

Last edited:
Quoting my previous post instead of editing it again, snipping for focus:

I’m curious if her family or friends noticed her losing weight prior to her disappearance, (ie. the past month or year/s). OR if her weight fluctuated consistently over the years OR she was always underweight.

I found an article from 10/17/22 that elaborates a bit more on some things we’ve been wondering about, including history of drug use.

MOO, judging from the photos alone you can see her health declining. The photo of her in a dress and then the one by her car with her hood up, she reminds me so much of a girl I used to know, very pale and very thin. That girl was also a functioning heroine addict.

IMHO, not in any way blaming GS, drug use contributed to her disappearance and I would look at known local dealers or friends that she used with. If she OD’d and someone was with her, they could have freaked out and hid her body. All speculation only!

@_Jez_ thank you for providing this Dateline report. It's been a while since I looked at this case, but there's no doubt about Grace being involved with drugs for quite some time.

Dateline - Grace Smith

[...]
“She struggled with drug addiction,” Jodi said. “My mom hid it from me for years.”
[...]

[...]
Jodi told Dateline at the time of her disappearance, Grace was living out of her car. “She was homeless,” Jodi said.
[...]

If Grace was actively using drugs around the time she disappeared, then a couple of additional questions come to mind:

- How was Grace able to pay for drugs if she was homeless and living in her car? Was she getting some kind of financial assistance?
- Was the person(s) supplying Grace with drugs part of the "wrong crew" that Grace's sister mentioned?

There was an intact human female skeleton found in Scioto Co, OH, which is one hour away from Point Pleasant, near the river. I'll try to link it below, but if if I mess it up, it is UP98423 on Nameus. Perhaps Grace's sister could check up with them?

What do we do if we notice something like this and aren't sure if the family reads WS?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

What do we do if we notice something like this and aren't sure if the family reads WS?
My understanding is that our WS TOS agreement prevents us from contacting family members directly regarding posts made here. However, if family members join WS on their own and go through the 'verified insider' process, then we are allowed to ask them questions directly about family members and case information.

That is my understanding, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

There was an intact human female skeleton found in Scioto Co, OH, which is one hour away from Point Pleasant, near the river. I'll try to link it below, but if if I mess it up, it is UP98423 on Nameus. Perhaps Grace's sister could check up with them?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
You can certainly call whoever is in charge of the UID case and suggest Grace as a possible match.

There was an intact human female skeleton found in Scioto Co, OH, which is one hour away from Point Pleasant, near the river. I'll try to link it below, but if if I mess it up, it is UP98423 on Nameus.
@ConcernedVA Thanks for providing this information. Although we don't know at this time whether these remains belong to Grace, it's interesting to note that the map location provided on the Namus.gov website is nearly a straight line west from the Gallipolis/Point Pleasant area.

Namus_UP98423

Namus mentioned some jewelry found with the remains (two rings and a watch). Perhaps Grace's family might recognize those items if these are her remains?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgreen63
Back