WV WV - Grace Smith 35, car found, keys on hood, belongings inside, Gallipolis Ferry, 23 Feb 2022 *Reward*

I'm not understanding this either. Grace's car was towed to where her estranged husband was living? IMO that makes no logical sense.

Searches for missing Mason County woman so far unsuccessful | WCHS (wchstv.com)

I read this MSM post again but I must be missing something here. This is highly unusual.

[..]
Family searched Smith’s car and found some things that didn’t make sense to leave in a vehicle. “I found a bag of groceries that was obviously expired, cold and frozen groceries,” Jones explained. “All of her belongings, everything is in that car. She wouldn’t have left it.” The car was actually found at McClintic but then moved to a nearby house where Smith’s estranged husband was staying. The keys were on the car hood.
[...]

Grace's car is physical evidence in her disappearance. Why would LE move it to "where her estranged husband was living" and for what purpose? Why wouldn't LE impound the vehicle in a secure location for more detailed analysis if it had to be moved? Also, why would LE allow family members to search Grace's car? IMO, by allowing family members open access to Grace's car any potential evidence in that car is now contaminated.

Do we know anything about the current relationship between Grace and her estranged husband?

The new statement about Grace having a rehab appointment of some kind is interesting to note. There are no details provided so we don't know if was for physical, mental, or substance abuse issues, but apparently she was reluctant to go to this appointment.
It didn’t say the car was towed. It said it was moved.
Who actually found the car? When?
Who moved the car? When?
Even if Grace was estranged from her husband, he could still be close to the family. If the family found the vehicle early on, they may have asked the estranged husband if they could move the car to his driveway rather than leave it in a public lot. They may not have considered that it might be a crime scene.
OR
Could the estranged husband have found the car and moved it to his driveway for safekeeping?
Depending on the reason for the rehab appointment, the first concern by family members may have been self harm or overdose before foul play.

Grace Smith - Google My Maps

Here we go.

She was last seen in the 3 Mile Rd area, which is about 13 miles/21 minutes from the TNT Igloo parking lot.

Groceries in the car would suggest...I don't know. She got groceries in the 3 Mile Rd area, and then drove up to TNT?

ETA: @Psychic Sleuth I added the area you highlighted under "Robinson Creek Rd".

@OldCop I added your highlighted area as "TNT Igloo Parking"

And here is the aerial view. It shows 2 very small parking areas. A very strange place for her to be. This makes me think the car was most likely dumped here. MOO
I wonder if LE got video from the supermarket where she purchased her groceries to see if she encountered anyone in the store or parking lot?

I found it.
Searches for missing Mason County woman so far unsuccessful | WCHS (wchstv.com)
“I found a bag of groceries that was obviously expired, cold and frozen groceries,” Jones explained. “All of her belongings, everything is in that car. She wouldn’t have left it.”
BBM. Does that mean that she did not have a fixed address at the time of her disappearance or that she just moved out of some place? I've seen a pic with several bags around the car.

The pic is in this post (page owned by a reporter): Bob Aaron

Last edited:
It didn’t say the car was towed. It said it was moved.
Who actually found the car? When?
Who moved the car? When?
Even if Grace was estranged from her husband, he could still be close to the family. If the family found the vehicle early on, they may have asked the estranged husband if they could move the car to his driveway rather than leave it in a public lot. They may not have considered that it might be a crime scene.
OR
Could the estranged husband have found the car and moved it to his driveway for safekeeping?
Depending on the reason for the rehab appointment, the first concern by family members may have been self harm or overdose before foul play.
It's quite possible that if they're still married, the husband's name was also on the title of the car. He may have been asked to come get it.

BBM. Does that mean that she did not have a fixed address at the time of her disappearance or that she just moved out of some place? I've seen a pic with several bags around the car.

The pic is in this post (page owned by a reporter): Bob Aaron
I wonder if she recently moved from her husband’s house. I’m getting the vibe that she’s in a state of flux perhaps due to mental or drug related issues. On the Sheriff’s page highlighted above Grace’s sister asks if anyone knows who she has been hanging with.
It sounds as if she checks in with family fairly regularly, but is not revealing a lot about her personal life.

I wonder if she recently moved from her husband’s house. I’m getting the vibe that she’s in a state of flux perhaps due to mental or drug related issues. On the Sheriff’s page highlighted above Grace’s sister asks if anyone knows who she has been hanging with.
It sounds as if she checks in with family fairly regularly, but is not revealing a lot about her personal life.

(BBM) It's mentioned that Grace missed a rehab appointment, but it could be physical or substance abuse. source - Family of missing Mason County woman organizes search, offers $5K reward for finding her

If she had perishable or frozen groceries (and not things that became frozen), that would seem to point away towards living out of her car. JMO.

(BBM) It's mentioned that Grace missed a rehab appointment, but it could be physical or substance abuse. source - Family of missing Mason County woman organizes search, offers $5K reward for finding her

If she had perishable or frozen groceries (and not things that became frozen), that would seem to point away towards living out of her car. JMO.
She could also have friends in the area she could be staying with temporarily. But wouldn't friends be aware of the appeals that she's missing?

I’m getting the vibe that she’s in a state of flux perhaps due to mental or drug related issues.
Snipped politely for focus

It is difficult to say, at this point, what issues this lady may have been experiencing. From her flyer:

"She is approximately 5’4” in height and weighs 90 pounds."

According to all I'm seeing online about her age, height, and weight indicate she's quite underweight. For instance, in the chart at this site, her weight should be expected to be around 122 pounds. For an ideal weight, it could be as low as 111 pounds.

Healthy Weight Height Chart for Women

"Widowed since March 25, 2008" according to her FB.

That must be a prior husband. I just re-read the article and the car is with her estranged (not ex) husband. It sounds like they are not divorced but separated and makes a little more sense as to why he would have the car. I still find it a bit interesting/concerning that the car was found close to where he is staying. I wonder how long they've been estranged and what the circumstances are.

That must be a prior husband. I just re-read the article and the car is with her estranged (not ex) husband. It sounds like they are not divorced but separated and makes a little more sense as to why he would have the car. I still find it a bit interesting/concerning that the car was found close to where he is staying. I wonder how long they've been estranged and what the circumstances are.

Yes. She was 21 when her first husband died, apparently.
JMO, the family members posting on the Please Help Find FB don't appear to be concerned about the location of where her car was found or that LE didn't search with a dog as soon as her car was found with her keys on the hood.
They must know something we don't.

Agreed. More information here would be helpful.

It's quite possible that if they're still married, the husband's name was also on the title of the car. He may have been asked to come get it.
If her husband's name is on the car title, which is possible, then LE may have asked him to move the car. If so then it makes sense why the car ended up at his house.

However, if LE was willing to let the car be moved, and also allow the car to be searched by family members, then IMO LE may not consider this to be a criminal/homicide case at this time. If LE believed this was a possible homicide then it would make sense they would have secured the car and anything inside it as possible evidence and not allowed family members to search the car. JMO.

IMO, having cold/frozen groceries in her car indicates a couple of things from a logic standpoint:

- It's unlikely Grace was living in her car since she couldn't prepare frozen food
- With cold/frozen food in her car it's unlikely Grace had plans to meet anyone right after leaving the store

However, if there are possible MH issues involved, and we don't know that for certain, then logical decision making may not apply here.

Do we know how far this grocery store is from where her car was found? Was there a receipt in the bag(s) indicating the date/time she purchased these groceries?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harty
Back