IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m wondering what set this perp off (if anything). Thinking back to some cases in the past of perps raping and murdering strangers, sometimes there was an incident in the perp’s (low) life that challenged his ego in some way - boss fired him or threatened to fire him, girlfriend or wife found to be unfaithful or rebuffed him in some way, etc.

Complete speculation, but I think it's possible that he was on the outs with the GF, maybe even just had a fight with her and was out driving around to cool off, saw Molly, thought "I'm going to show that <insert preferred misogynistic slur here>" (meaning the girlfriend, not Molly), and approached her thinking for some reason - maybe because she'd been friendly during some past interaction, or maybe out of pure arrogance - that she would welcome his advances and voluntarily hook up with him. Her rejection would have been a slap in the face, and being keyed up might have triggered a violent reaction.

Again, this is purely speculation; not really even my opinion necessarily, just a scenario that seems possible based on many years of observing human interactions.

Last edited:
Do we know what name his coworkers knew him by? Any info on the owner of the car he was allegedly driving? I hate to say this but I have a strange feeling about the arrest in this case. It just seems all to convenient that LE wraps it up all of a sudden. Something is just not right.

Do we know what name his coworkers knew him by? Any info on the owner of the car he was allegedly driving? I hate to say this but I have a strange feeling about the arrest in this case. It just seems all to convenient that LE wraps it up all of a sudden. Something is just not right.

No, at the moment LE., his employers and co-workers have that info.

I posted a similar link previously. I'm not seeing how either this post or link confirms that CHR is his real name. So he says he comes from Guayabillo in Guerrero. Maybe that's true, but it doesn't mean he's using his real name, unless the FBI or others somehow confirmed it.

Hopefully we will learn this info in time.

I haven’t been on this forum much lately. I am just so sad for her family, but mostly for Dalton. He’s so young. This will affect his whole life. I know he will eventually move on, but I hate that he is having to deal with losing the love of his life in such a horrible way.
My niece lost her fiancé a few years back (at the end of her senior year of high school - his dad took her to prom btw). It took a long time for her to recover enough to move on. She was recently married but she said he’s always in her thoughts.

I don't believe it was a burglary, just some vandalism.

I never did think there was any connection. It's summer, kids are bored and out late, someone says "I dare you to throw a rock through the hardware store window", then you have the double-dog dare, the triple dare you, and the coup de grâce of all dares, the sinister triple-dog dare - unless someone creates a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the "triple dare you" and going right for the throat - and next thing you know you have a busted window.

The burglary was at a house a short ways from the DJ house

There was a vigil to remember Mollie; her brother spoke well; the theme of his speech was 'make a friend in her honor'. A 'Mollie Tibbetts Day' would be a great idea; on that day people should go out of their way to make a friend or two.
Mollie Tibbetts' brother to University of Iowa students: Make a friend in her honor
What a wonderful tribute to her life that would be. I keep wondering about that dessert she was going to make and if it could be used in gatherings to commemorate her.

I've worked (and work) with people who went by names that were so different than their formal name, that when I learned what their real name was, it blew my mind.
I had no idea they were one and the same. I can think of 3 people right off the top of my head.

I understand this case is different - most people give their employer their legal name and then refer to themselves as something different in public. CR seems to have done this in reverse, for what appears to me to be obvious reasons.

But when asked how is it the perp worked and was known under another name, yet kept an active FB real name? The answer appears simple to me - except for people in his inner circle, people probably didn't know he'd given his employer a different name or if they did, they either didn't care or thought it was no big deal. People use different names all the time for professional reasons, and no one thinks twice about it. Eilleen Edwards come to mind.

Right, people use other names for various reasons, and of course he needed a "valid" ID for the job. No doubt at least some of his co-workers knew his work name wasn't his real name. I just know how curious young people are about each other, especially on SM, and it seems to me if you're undocumented and don't want to risk a super-crisis like deportation, you'd be more careful. A FB friend (often chance acquaintances) can easily turn into an enemy.

No but he admitted to his anger, then kidnapping her (in the trunk) and placing her body in the corn field. In Iowa, as in most places when the victim dies during the course of a forcible felony, it constitutes first degree murder.

707.2 Murder in the first degree.
1. A person commits murder in the first degree when the person commits murder under any of the following circumstances:
b. The person kills another person while participating in a forcible felony.
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/707.2.pdf

702.11 Forcible felony.
1. A “forcible felony” is any felonious child endangerment, assault, murder, sexual abuse, kidnapping, robbery, human trafficking, arson in the first degree, or burglary in the first degree.
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/702.11.pdf

We are told there was a confession, but do we really know there was one? I don’t want to sound crazy, but this is the first time I have felt this way about a case. LE telling the family to go on with their lives, then Boom an arrest, confession and body found. Something is off.

This thread was created to find Mollie. Now it is a thread devoted to CR. We need to stop giving him all this attention including the media. He’s not even worth mentioning let alone talking about him 24/7.

There’s nothing wrong with discussing the aftermath of this. People are naturally curious about why and how he would do this and it’s healthy and helpful to have discussions about it.

Maybe I need a cup of Harmony's coffee, but how is it the perp worked and was known under another name, yet kept an active FB (laden with babe-friends from other cities) in his full, presumably real name? Usually people interested in keeping a low FB profile come up with a pseudonym, or fiddle with the spelling (example - "Web5leuth5"). He used a fake identity in a very small town, yet here we are knowing his purported full name. Unless that's fake, too?

Did the Feds find his true identity via fingerprints, suggesting a criminal past in Mexico?

He most likely kept it because only his friends from home would know the real name. Other locals he probably added and they just added him not knowing him. I think he kept a low profile.

This thread was created to find Mollie. Now it is a thread devoted to CR. We need to stop giving him all this attention including the media. He’s not even worth mentioning let alone talking about him 24/7.
This is what Websleuths is all about. Exploring the accused to find out what made the individual tick. Trust me, no one here is planning a bbq or parade to honor the sick 's that harm and murder other ppl.

I posted a similar link previously. I'm not seeing how either this post or link confirms that CHR is his real name. So he says he comes from Guayabillo in Guerrero. Maybe that's true, but it doesn't mean he's using his real name, unless the FBI or others somehow confirmed it.
So did he go by two different names in the same city? XYZ for work and CR to his ex GF and the young people he hung with? Seems like someone would have noticed that. Curious.

Actually this particular thread was created after she'd been found.

I get what you're saying in general, I'm sick of the politicizing of this young woman's passing on SM and MSM already. But the topic of discussion of the current and subsequent threads on this site related to the subject of Mollie Tibbetts will be likely be focused on the crime itself, and discussing the crime means discussing the perp. With all due respect - and please understand that I'm saying this out of respect for your feelings and not as a dismissal of your feelings - if that makes you uncomfortable it might be time to move on from this arena.

Again, please don't take offense, I'm not trying to "show you the door", just reminding you that it's there if you feel the need to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734