NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The note was an attempt to misdirect law enforcement, by getting them to believe that the murder was more personal than it actually was. The fact that he made no attempt to conceal or destroy forensic evidence just indicates that the crime was more impulsive than premeditated, a lack of forensic sophistication on the part of the perpetrator, or both.

This doesn’t add up to me. Why would the perp leave a cryptic note behind in attempt to strategically misdirect law enforcement, but not worry about the obvious - which was his DNA all over the crime scene (including in the form of semen). Why bother trying to misdirect LE at that point, because you’re already screwed.

… Unless he left it behind for Karena to find in the morning and it had nothing to do with trying to misdirect LE.

This doesn’t add up to me. Why would the perp leave a cryptic note behind in attempt to strategically misdirect law enforcement, but not worry about the obvious - which was his DNA all over the crime scene.

The fact that he made no attempt to conceal or destroy forensic evidence indicates that the crime was more impulsive than premeditated, a lack of forensic sophistication on the part of MESO, or both.

So why do you think Miguel wrote that note and left it for Karena to find in the morning?
At this point, with what we know, it doesn’t sound like it spoke to anything that happened between him and Faith. That inclines me to believe it was misdirection.
As fluffypaste said above, he probably didn’t plan what happened, and there’d be no point in worrying about leaving his DNA on the pen and bag given what he’d already left in the bedroom.
I would love to get an answer on this, though. The note’s never made a lot of sense.
(Maybe that’s an answer in itself. Maybe it was a poorly thought out forensic countermeasure, written in panic, so of course it doesn’t make any rational sense to us.)

The fact that he made no attempt to conceal or destroy forensic evidence indicates that the crime was more impulsive than premeditated, a lack of forensic sophistication on the part of MESO, or both.

So the impulsive killer who lacks forensic sophistication decides to strategically leave a cryptic note behind to misdirect LE and isn’t arrested for 9 years?

So the impulsive killer who lacks forensic sophistication decides to strategically leave a cryptic note behind to misdirect LE and isn’t arrested for 9 years?

I don't think it was "strategic" at all. I think he just scribbled something quickly as a desperation move before leaving the apartment. Nothing about this murder suggests that it was carefully planned or premediated.

Maybe that’s an answer in itself. Maybe it was a poorly thought out forensic countermeasure, written in panic, so of course it doesn’t make any rational sense to us.)

Bingo. People have been trying to find some deeper meaning in the note for years, but it is likely just a hurried message from someone who didn't really have a plan in the first place.

I don't think it was "strategic" at all. I think he just scribbled something quickly as a desperation move before leaving the apartment. Nothing about this murder suggests that it was carefully planned or premediated.

We can agree to disagree. I personally think it was premeditated, and I fully believe that several people have knowledge of what transpired. And I think the note was left behind for Karena to find - not LE. That's just me though!

Late to the party (aside from being here before the arrest). Can anyone recommend a good YT video or podcast to get me caught up to where we are today?

We can agree to disagree. I personally think it was premeditated, and I fully believe that several people have knowledge of what transpired. And I think the note was left behind for Karena to find - not LE. That's just me though!

At this point in time, it hasn't even been established if MESO knew Karena or Faith in any capacity whatsoever. But the prevailing notion so far seems to be that he knew neither of them.

Late to the party (aside from being here before the arrest). Can anyone recommend a good YT video or podcast to get me caught up to where we are today?

Faith Hedgepeth Murder

This is the one I'd recommend. A lot of podcasts on this murder are genuinely atrocious and push conspiracy theories for which there is no evidence to support. This one I just linked, I feel like it did at least a reasonably okay job.

At this point in time, it hasn't even been established if MESO knew Karena or Faith in any capacity whatsoever. But the prevailing notion so far seems to be that he knew neither of them.

In the article Boodles posted earlier, Hunter Glass (PI who was working the case) said that Salguero-Olivars may have come in to contact with Hedgepeth at a nearby club. So I am not going to dismiss the idea that they could've interacted at The Thrill.

I’ve probably listened to 20-30 podcasts on this case in the last two months. Most of them were dumpster fires, even ones I really expected better from. This one was one of the better ones, even though she didn’t have many episodes and doesn’t seem to be updating anymore:
Almost every podcast that covers the case has 2 or 3 parts to it, and they’ve usually pretty long.
If you’re more of a reader, this blog is a great source of information. It’s run by Webthrush, who posts in this thread very frequently and is very fluent in this case.

HERE For Faith Hedgepeth...

In the article Boodles posted earlier, Hunter Glass (PI who was working the case) said that Salguero-Olivars may have come in to contact with Hedgepeth at a nearby club. So I am not going to dismiss the idea that they could've interacted at The Thrill.

I’m taking Hunter Glass with a big grain of salt. Five years ago he got his own segment on the 20/20 episode and came up with the earth shattering revelation that maybe someone’s handwriting matched the note. That was his big contribution. Now that there’s been an arrest, he makes two contradictory media statements within two weeks saying of course the killer came up in his investigation, he just hadn’t quite put two and two together yet.
It’s a guy with his own company who desperately wants to seem like their work was important somehow when it didn’t mean jack.
Reminds me a lot of Arlo West…

OK, since everyone’s offering opinions/speculations I’ll do the same:

1) I think there will be at least one more arrest (but it won’t be a name any of us are familiar with).
2) I think 2 key people (1 being Olivares) crossed paths with Faith & Karena at Thrill, but otherwise barely knew the women.
3) I think Olivares hurriedly wrote the bag note (his DNA on both pen and bag) after the crime, but wrote it rhetorically to Faith (not Karena), and likely didn’t even know at that point if Faith was actually dead.
(…but yes, I think there are plenty of other possible explanations of the confusing note, and so many other things as well!)

I think the police likely already have the basic answers to most of these issues, but no telling when they’ll be shared with the public.

I agree except I think the note was written the night or day before. Explains the no blood on it. I also see two different handwritings on it…I think it shows tension between two females. Killer and/or stager probably found it in apartment and added it for theatrics. JMO.

One (among MANY!) things I’ve long been curious about in this case is the lack of discussion of fingerprints from key areas of the crime scene. The apt. would be filled with prints from a zillion innocent visitors over time, but if Olivares (and any other perp) left touch DNA than surely he/they left fingerprints… can one assume that somewhere on file police still have 100s of fingerprint samples, a few of which have never been ID’d before now (or is that a false assumption)? Anyone heard anything about fingerprint evidence for the case, or lack thereof? And are fingerprint data routinely re-submitted to CODIS on some timetable as would be DNA?

At this point, with what we know, it doesn’t sound like it spoke to anything that happened between him and Faith. That inclines me to believe it was misdirection.
As fluffypaste said above, he probably didn’t plan what happened, and there’d be no point in worrying about leaving his DNA on the pen and bag given what he’d already left in the bedroom.
I would love to get an answer on this, though. The note’s never made a lot of sense.
(Maybe that’s an answer in itself. Maybe it was a poorly thought out forensic countermeasure, written in panic, so of course it doesn’t make any rational sense to us.)
One thing that I didn't take into account about the note until the arrest is that maybe the note is weird because it's written by a non-native English speaker? I don't know his level of fluency right now -- but depending on whether he's an immigrant and if so, how long ago he arrived here, his English might not have been perfect at that point. That might explain the unusual order of the words.

I used to be a proficient Spanish speaker, but I'm out of practice, so I plugged in "I'm not jealous stupid b****" into google translate. For what it's worth, what came back was, "No estoy celosa perra estúpida," which, translated back again literally with the words in order, "No I am jealous b*** stupid." "No I am" is the Spanish way of saying, "I'm not," so, "I'm not jealous b**** stupid" might be the way someone would write a note in English if they were a native Spanish speaker and translating from the Spanish to English.

What did the note say? Wasn't it, "I'm not jealous b**** stupid"?

Last edited:
One thing that I didn't take into account about the note until the arrest is that maybe the note is weird because it's written by a non-native English speaker? I don't know his level of fluency right now -- but depending on whether he's an immigrant and if so, how long ago he arrived here, his English might not have been perfect at that point. That might explain the unusual order of the words.

I used to be a proficient Spanish speaker, but I'm out of practice, so I plugged in "I'm not jealous stupid b****" into google translate. For what it's worth, what came back was, "No estoy celosa perra estúpida," which, translated back again literally with the words in order, "No I am jealous b*** stupid." "No I am" is the Spanish way of saying, "I'm not," so, "I'm not jealous b**** stupid" might be the way someone would write a note in English if they were a native Spanish speaker and translating from the Spanish to English.

What did the note say? Wasn't it, "I'm not jealous b**** stupid"

It said:
I'M NOT STUPID
B****
JEALOUS

I definitely think you are on to something, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back