NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In the last thread, I addressed that MESO was provided a translator. I do not believe an individual that needs a translator is going to correctly spell and write a message in English. This is MOO.

In the last thread, I addressed that MESO was provided a translator. I do not believe an individual that needs a translator is going to correctly spell and write a message in English. This is MOO.
I would definitely need a translator for any proceeding that was in Spanish, but I know enough to scratch out a five word note. And give me two years of immersion like he had and I could probably do better than that.

Right, but it was a short note with puzzling grammar, not the work of Hemmingway, for sure. IMO.

Late to the party (aside from being here before the arrest). Can anyone recommend a good YT video or podcast to get me caught up to where we are today?

The Murder of Faith Hedgepeth — Trace Evidence

I highly, HIGHLY recommend this podcast. It can also be found on YT:

This high recommendation is for all of its episodes. It is an extremely well done podcast and is the reason I got into true crime mysteries. Many of the cases covered can be found here on WS!

This might sound kind of weird, but I have wondered if the "stupid b****" part was an adjective.

So, the person may have been saying "I'm not jealous" but with colorful adjectives to describe what kind of jealously they would have, had they been jealous.

Like; "I am not the type of jealous person to act like a 'stupid b****' when a situation arises".

Or "I am not the type of person to act like a 'stupid b****' out of jealousy"

But, I think the theory of non-native speaker is really good!

This might sound kind of weird, but I have wondered if the "stupid b****" part was an adjective.

So, the person may have been saying "I'm not jealous" but with colorful adjectives to describe what kind of jealously they would have, had they been jealous.

Like; "I am not the type of jealous person to act like a 'stupid b****' when a situation arises".

Or "I am not the type of person to act like a 'stupid b****' out of jealousy"

But, I think the theory of non-native speaker is really good!

So like “I’m not ‘stupid-b****’ jealous!”? Interesting thought. I wonder if that’s a colloquialism anywhere in the Spanish- speaking world.

I found a Wikipedia entry on Spanish language slang. Man, some of these are hilarious and extremely offensive. People in some of these countries have a way with words :rolleyes:. I didn't find anything close, but they sure aren't shy about calling women things like b****/there's one saying that's a combo of B**** and s*** all in one word. NSFW. I'm sure the list is much longer than what's in this entry.

Spanish/Slang - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

I found a Wikipedia entry on Spanish language slang. Man, some of these are hilarious and extremely offensive. People in some of these countries have a way with words :rolleyes:. I didn't find anything close, but they sure aren't shy about calling women things like b****/there's one saying that's a combo of B**** and s*** all in one word. NSFW. I'm sure the list is much longer than what's in this entry.

Spanish/Slang - Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Thanks for the NSFW warning. Now I'm really looking forward to the end of the workday!

Just want to mention a few things the press has reported for any who missed them: Supposedly, Olivares spoke little to no English when he moved here from Guatemala about 2 years before Faith’s murder — hard to know how much English he learned in 2 yrs. (but I didn’t see any English on his limited Facebook page). As I understand it he has lived with his mother the entire time he's been in U.S., and was at an apt. complex on Ephesus Church Rd. at time of crime — that location is only about 5 mins. from Faith’s complex. It’s been mentioned that he had jobs at a pizzeria and doing construction work, but not clear when those were, or what other jobs filled out his almost dozen years in NC, or if he was working at the time of Faith’s murder. Indeed, not clear how he spent most of his time or who he socialized with or where… or if he has any other relatives (besides mother) nearby. So much unknown, and once again so much silence from LE. :(

Thanks @Webthrush. I’m not ready to close the door on this case and am keeping an open mind. I’ve said previously that IMO, others are involved. Maybe they were smarter and used gloves to keep their prints and DNA off of items. I might be wrong and that is okay.
I worked in the school system for years. We had seniors that couldn’t correctly spell “jealous”.

Thanks @Webthrush. I’m not ready to close the door on this case and am keeping an open mind. I’ve said previously that IMO, others are involved. Maybe they were smarter and used gloves to keep their prints and DNA off of items. I might be wrong and that is okay.
I worked in the school system for years. We had seniors that couldn’t correctly spell “jealous”.

Beat me to it! This hit me before I went to bed last night, that jealous is not a “hard” word to spell, but there’s many native English speaking people on social media who can’t spell much, much, easier words.

Re: the bag note....

I think it is all clearly written by the same pen (thus most likely written at same time by one person); further the “i”s, “t”s, and “u”s (on a very crinkly bag) look basically same formation to me (again implying one person, and DNA implying that person is Olivares).

Long ago I wondered if the “L” in “Jealous” might actually be a hurriedly scrawled “Z” and the word might actually be “Jeazous,” some sort of alternative spelling of “Jesus” as either a signature or an exclamation… I no longer believe that… but again don’t rule anything out 100%.

I do agree that the bag being devoid of any blood-stain adds a very peculiar element to explanations for it.

It’s been mentioned that he had jobs at a pizzeria and doing construction work, but not clear when those were, or what other jobs filled out his almost dozen years in NC, or if he was working at the time of Faith’s murder. Indeed, not clear how he spent most of his time or who he socialized with or where… or if he has any other relatives (besides mother) nearby. So much unknown, and once again so much silence from LE. :(

The pizzeria job was what he listed in August during his DWI arrest, if I recall correctly. I'm guessing he worked a lot of odd jobs over the years.
I'm OK with the silence from LE, now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. They're probably trying to reconstruct his movements in August/September 2012, which is going to be pretty difficult. He was never associated with the murder until recently, so there was no reason for anyone around him to retain memory of what he was doing. If you asked me what some friend/family member/coworker of mine was doing nine years ago, I would only have the foggiest idea if I remembered at all.

Beat me to it! This hit me before I went to bed last night, that jealous is not a “hard” word to spell, but there’s many native English speaking people on social media who can’t spell much, much, easier words.
The rest of the wording is very basic. No, it isn't the first word a non-native speaker would learn, but 'jealous' isn't that advanced of a word, either. It's not like he wrote "I'm not stupid, you contumacious, insolent, execrable b****!"
To me, the use of 'jealous' is a very minor anomaly. Sometimes, people just randomly have an unusual word come up and pick it up.

I apologize if I have overlooked discussion regarding the 'butt dial voice mail', but I am curious as to why they couldn't look at the victim's phone to see what time she made the outgoing call that would've resulted in the voice mail. Anyone read discussion on that?

I apologize if I have overlooked discussion regarding the 'butt dial voice mail', but I am curious as to why they couldn't look at the victim's phone to see what time she made the outgoing call that would've resulted in the voice mail. Anyone read discussion on that?

They did. LE confirmed through multiple means, including looking at Faith's phone, that the call happened at 1:23 AM. Lehew had answered that question definitively about six months after the Crime Watch Daily episode that originally featured the voicemail, but unfortunately, people just can't let it go. You can't listen to a podcast or read a news article without hearing about the voicemail and the timestamp, and they all act like there's some sort of open question there, but there isn't. There is literally no evidence whatsoever that it happened at any other time.

D.A. announces they won’t be seeking the death penalty for the accused in Hedgepeth case. Given how long and drawn out death penalty cases are (and given, IMO, that this was an impulse or rage killing, not a premeditated one), not too surprising. Still, it will be a controversial decision in many quarters.

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/crime/article254583357.html

Same here -
-------------------------
Local News

DA not seeking death penalty in Faith Hedgepeth murder case

Tags:

Posted September 28, 2021 1:57 p.m. EDT
Updated September 28, 2021 3:43 p.m. EDT

Chapel Hill, N.C. — Prosecutors don't plan to seek the death penalty against the man accused of killing University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill student Faith Danielle Hedgepeth nine years ago.

Durham County District Attorney Satana Deberry filed notice Tuesday that her office will prosecute Miguel Enrique Salguero-Olivares as a non-capital case.
[...]
DNA found at the scene was recently matched to Salguero-Olivares, although investigators have declined to say how they obtained his DNA. He has no criminal history.
Police also have declined to comment on the relationship between Hedgepeth and Salguero-Olivares, who wasn't initially a person of interest in the investigation.
Of the 135 people on North Carolina's death row, none was convicted by a jury in Durham County.
------------------------

Source:
DA not seeking death penalty in Faith Hedgepeth murder case :: WRAL.com
Salguero-Olivares, 28, of Durham, remains in the Durham County jail without bond on a charge of first-degree murder.

They did. LE confirmed through multiple means, including looking at Faith's phone, that the call happened at 1:23 AM. Lehew had answered that question definitively about six months after the Crime Watch Daily episode that originally featured the voicemail, but unfortunately, people just can't let it go. You can't listen to a podcast or read a news article without hearing about the voicemail and the timestamp, and they all act like there's some sort of open question there, but there isn't. There is literally no evidence whatsoever that it happened at any other time.

I find the discourse around the voicemail to be quite annoying, and I'm sure the investigators who worked the case were even more annoyed by it. Crime Watch Daily chose to put out extremely inflammatory misinformation with their "transcript."

They literally played it for Faith's dad and got him to believe that it was daughter's anguished cries while being tortured to death. That's really messed up in my opinion, to take garbled noise and get a person's dad to believe that is his daughter screaming for help. They also contributed heavily to the witch hunt against Karena.

Last edited:
They also contributed heavily to the witch hunt against Karena.
I used to think that was the beginning of it, but it actually started far earlier and closer in than the Crime Watch Daily show. It actually started pretty much the day of the murder with the downstairs neighbor, who has talked in at least three separate accounts about how Karena wasn’t as upset as she should have been (Marisol gets dragged into this too at least once.) Then, in one of the Pursuit Podcast episodes (it was in one of the first four that are now unavailable), she talked about how the day Karena moved out, she asked her to “let her know if she heard anything new about the investigation.” She acknowledged this was the only time they’d talked for any real length of time, and it was obviously just Karena asking her to pass on any news, but she puts this hilariously sinister spin on it, like Karena was trying to turn her into a mole or something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mae_uk
Back