UK - Chloe and Josh Bashford, killed in Newhaven, June 2023 *arrest/charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Luwin

Reaction score

A 64-year-old man is set to go on trial later this year charged with the murder of a married couple.

The bodies of Josh Bashford, 33, and wife Chloe, 30, were discovered in a property within a cemetery in Newhaven shortly after 7pm on Friday.

Police say he was known to Josh and Chloe, though the nature of their relationship has yet to be revealed.

He was remanded in custody and will next appear in crown court to enter a plea on August 3.

His trial has provisionally been listed for November 27 and is expected to last two or three weeks.

Police investigating the death of a husband and wife said they have found a mobile phone which was missing.
The phone is thought to have belonged to Chloe Bashford, 30, who was found dead with her husband Josh at their home in Lewes Road, Newhaven, East Sussex on 9 June.
Sussex Police said the phone was found in Newhaven on Friday afternoon.
Derek Martin, 64, also known as Derek Glenn, from Brighton, has been charged with two counts of murder.

I am quite confused about what went on here, but this Guardian article includes some interesting background information.

Families of East Sussex couple pay tribute to ‘funny and loving pair’

The charged man Derek Martin/Derek Glenn is said to have known the two victims.

Young couple found dead in their Sussex home named by family
I see the accused has the same surname as Chloe’s brothers. So that is presumably also her maiden name and the accused is related to her. I hope he isn’t her father :(

I see the accused has the same surname as Chloe’s brothers. So that is presumably also her maiden name and the accused is related to her. I hope he isn’t her father :(
The 'families' article had a quote from Chloe's father, who isn't the accused and has a different surname to the brothers. Maybe DM/DG is a stepfather? :(

She also (formerly?) seems to have used the surname Scott, based on her fb profile:

Josh Bashford also has a fb profile but their children feature heavily on it, so I think I won't link.

A man has admitted killing a young married couple who were found dead at their home.

The bodies of Josh Bashford, 33, and Chloe Bashford, 30, were found at their home in Newhaven, East Sussex, in June
Derek Martin, 64, from Brighton, also known as Derek Glenn, has appeared at Lewes Crown Court, where he pleaded not guilty to murder, but guilty to manslaughter.
He has been remanded in custody ahead of a trial on 27 November.

Does anyone know how I can find an update on the trial please? It was due to be in November but I can't find anything.

I contacted a journalist who had been reporting on the case. His reply is :

It wasn't possible for the trial to start at the end of November so it has been rescheduled to start on Monday 5 February.

Thanks @elliefant Has anyone seen any coverage of the trial? I can't find anything. Wondering if it was postponed again?

The case was supposed to start at the Old Bailey (Monday 17 June) today but it was a no show. I enquired about the case to the court clerk and he gave the number of the List Office yo find out when the case will be heard 020 7192 2739

Just editing the info....

After the hearing on May 20 ( referenced in the article above - post 16 ) it seems there was another hearing, a few days later

A hearing at the Old Bailey on Friday ( May 24 ) set the provisional trial date for 7 October at Lewes Crown Court.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asmok