GUILTY NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steinglass also touched on how Trump can be guilty of the counts because of others’ actions. For example, during jury selection, Steinglass started to allude to how a husband is legally on the hook for a hitman whom he hires to kill his wife. This prompted an objection from Trump’s defense, which was sustained.

“Mr Trump doesn’t have to do these acts himself. He can act in concert with others, and that’s what the allegation is,” Steinglass said.

Does anyone feel that the prosecution closing was waaay too long?
I think after awhile some of the jurors would just zone out, no matter how good the closing was. JMO-- I also think that if some, maybe just one, maybe more of the jurors don't like Michael Cohen, they could hang the jury- Michael Cohen is a huge obstacle to get around in this case,

4h ago

Prosecutor says Stormy Daniels undermined Trump's strategy of spinning Access Hollywood tape​

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass, continuing to double down on motive, goes back to the timeline: after the debate, which happened shortly after the Access Hollywood tape, women came forward accusing Trump of sexual misconduct.

Hope Hicks, Steinglass said, testified that “the defendant knew there was a crisis”.

“You really can’t understand this case without appreciating the climate,” Steinglass said of the Access Hollywood tape fallout.

“It caused pandemonium” in the campaign. This is why Trump so desperately needed the hush-money payment, Steinglass said. “He was negotiating to muzzle a *advertiser censored* star” who was threatening to go public.

Stormy Daniels was a walking, talking reminder that the defendant was not only worse – she would have totally undermined his strategy for spinning the Access Hollywood tape.

4h ago

Trump's 'primary concern was not his family, but the election', says prosecutor​

Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass said there was no surprise that the hush-money payment to Stormy Daniels didn’t take place until two weeks before the 2016 election, even though the encounter with Donald Trump took place in 2006, Reuters reported.

Steinglass said:

And that’s because the defendant’s primary concern was not his family, but the election.

8m ago

After 10 hours, closing arguments in Trump hush-money trial are done​

Both prosecution and defense have rested their cases in Donald Trump’s hush-money trial. Trump’s defense attorney Todd Blanche’s closing argument took about three hours and prosecutor Joshua Steinglass’s lasted for nearly five hours.

Trump, who usually speaks after court hearings, left in his motorcade without making a statement.

Here are some highlights from the day:

• Trump was accompanied by his children Donald Jr, Eric and Tiffany, alongside their spouses. Ivanka and Melania Trump were noticeably absent with someone calling out, “Where’s Melania”? as Trump walked into the courtroom.
  • Trump spoke to reporters before heading into the courtroom. He called the judge, Juan Merchan, “corrupt” and “conflicted” but said he couldn’t speak about the trial because of the gag order. He added: “We’ll see how it goes. This is a very dangerous day for America. It’s a very sad day.”
  • During his closing argument to the jury, Blanche emphasized that Michael Cohen had lied to the jury, calling him the “MVP of liars” and tried to cast doubt on the integrity of a 2016 audio recording that Cohen made of Trump.
  • Robert De Niro spoke outside of the building where Trump’s hearing was held to talk about the threats he believes the nation will face if Trump is elected again in 2024. “We don’t want to wake up after the election saying ‘What again? My God, what the hell have we done?’” the actor told reporters.
  • Steinglass began his closing argument by telling the jury that despite Blanche’s swipes at Cohen’s credibility, “this case is not about Michael Cohen. This case is about Donald Trump,” Steinglass said. “Three rich and powerful men, high up in Trump Tower, tried to become even more powerful by controlling the information that reached voters.”
  • Steinglass also brought up the Access Hollywood recording of Trump from 2005 and its impact on Trump’s campaign strategy, saying: “The video was vulgar, to say the least,” Steinglass said. “That media strategy shifted from deny, deny, deny, to spin. Ms Hicks testified that among campaign leadership, the consensus was that this was a crisis.”
  • Trump’s frugality was referenced several times as Steinglass tries to convince the jury that Trump falsified legal documents to cover up repayment to Cohen for allegedly paying hush money to Stormy Daniels.
  • As he wrapped his nearly five-hour closing statement Steinglass emphasized that Trump allegedly acted in concert with his team to effect a cover-up. “Mr Trump doesn’t have to do these acts himself. He can act in concert with others, and that’s what the allegation is,” Steinglass said.

2h ago

Prosecution says Trump deeply involved in financial decisions​

Donald Trump’s frugality has been referenced several times as Joshua Steinglass tries to convince the jury that Trump falsified legal documents to cover up repayment to Michael Cohen for allegedly paying hush money to Stormy Daniels.

Steinglass argues that Trump was deeply involved in financial decisions before and during his presidency. “The defendant remained involved even with minor decisions about where his money was going,” Steinglass said. “Mr Trump wanted to retain control over his $80 cable bill because that is who he is … that is who he’s been from the very beginning, he’s frugal,” Steinglass said.

To underscore Trump’s self-professed involvement in his finances Steinglass pointed to an excerpt from one of Trump’s books. Steinglass read that Trump wrote: “As I said before, I always sign my checks, so I know where my money’s going. In the same spirit. I also always try to read my bills to make sure I’m not being over-charged.”

Ten reasons to acquit: Trump trial key takeaways, closing arguments​

Lawyer Todd Blanche’s argument for why jurors should find his client not guilty boiled down to a handful of principal lines

1. Trump did not create the fake invoices and records; Michael Cohen did

2. Trump did not willfully violate federal campaign finance laws

3. The case rests on Cohen, who lies about everything

4. Trump did not create the invoices, but ‘caused’ them to be created

5. Trump’s unlawful means were to pay to kill negative stories

6. Attacks on Cohen’s credibility were inconsistent

I've been holding my breath since Nov 8, 2016, since the day the thorn got stuck in my side.
I'd really love to be able to breathe freely again and never see or hear about him ever again.
Even if President Trump is convicted in this trial we will still see and hear from him.

In my opinion this trial has given him more positive public exposure. JMO.

I shall use this article as reference for my notes.

Lisa Rubin is my favorite either reporting on the trial blog or on MSNBC giving trial updates and her analysis.

This admission about theft is new news at this trial that harms this witness's credibility for the jury. JMO.

Do you think he is lying about that, or telling the truth? It does create a puzzle, doesn't it, because the jury will have to decide if he spoke the truth during the trial or if he didn't. Or will they cherry-pick to believe parts they like?

That's why the paper trail of signed cheques, the telephone logs, photos, and personal notes are so important.

Do you think he is lying about that, or telling the truth? It does create a puzzle, doesn't it, because the jury will have to decide if he spoke the truth during the trial or if he didn't. Or will they cherry-pick to believe parts they like?

That's why the paper trail of signed cheques, the telephone logs, photos, and personal notes are so important.
Maybe he did lie about that. That would add to his unreliability as a witness which pretty much shoots down the prosecutions case.

The paper trail with phone logs,photos,checks,and notes proves that there was a legal non disclosure act done with or without President Trumps knowledge. JMO.

Reversed on what grounds, may I ask?
Here's a couple. Quotes below from a BBC News article.

What would be the grounds for appeal?​

The evidence of adult film star Stormy Daniels, whose alleged sexual encounter with Mr Trump is at the heart of the case, could be one reason.

“The level of detail that was provided [by Ms Daniels] is really not necessary to the telling of the story," said Anna Cominsky, a professor at New York Law School.

Prosecutors have broadly alleged that violations of federal and state election laws, along with tax fraud, apply to this case. But they have not specified to the jury exactly which one was broken.

Legal experts say there are questions around the scope and application of the federal law that could form a basis for appeal. Never before has a state prosecutor invoked an uncharged federal crime, and there’s a question if the Manhattan District Attorney has the jurisdiction to do so.

Here's a couple. Quotes below from a BBC News article.

What would be the grounds for appeal?​

The evidence of adult film star Stormy Daniels, whose alleged sexual encounter with Mr Trump is at the heart of the case, could be one reason.

“The level of detail that was provided [by Ms Daniels] is really not necessary to the telling of the story," said Anna Cominsky, a professor at New York Law School.

Prosecutors have broadly alleged that violations of federal and state election laws, along with tax fraud, apply to this case. But they have not specified to the jury exactly which one was broken.

Legal experts say there are questions around the scope and application of the federal law that could form a basis for appeal. Never before has a state prosecutor invoked an uncharged federal crime, and there’s a question if the Manhattan District Attorney has the jurisdiction to do so.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member