NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How many stories have we heard now, that came from DC after Madalina was last seen by anyone?
Anyone correct any errors here, some of these kind of run together.

Madalina was in her room.
Madalina was in the bathroom.
Madalina was sick.
Madalina was hiking.
Madalina was in the mountains.
Madalina was out of town for a couple of days.
DC wanted her cousin to smuggle her & Madalina out of the country.
DC was in a bad marriage and wanted a divorce.
DC doesn't know where Madalina went.

How is it even legal for an 11 year old child to disappear, these are the mom's stories and she's just walking around free like nothing ever happened?

What would it take for law enforcement to say to DC: produce Madalina by x date or face charges? What could those charges be? Could LE even do that?
Just my thoughts here fwiw. I guess LE thinks their best bet for now is to just wait, since both parents being accused and convicted of failure to report a missing child got them nowhere.

If LE went to the grand jury without enough evidence for a likely conviction, the grand jury could say no, and then it's all over. My understanding is they would not be able to try again later.

LE/the state would have to be able to prove that one or both of the parents did something illegal with MC, that it wasn't possible they just asked someone else to keep MC for them, for ex. (which is not illegal) then refused to say who, out of stubbornness or mistrust or whatever. The state has to prove it, I don't think the defendants even have to talk at all if they choose not to. So how could LE prove that DC, CP or both abandoned, trafficked or killed MC or whatever their lead theory is about it?

Of course it's all very hinky and infuriating as h*ll though.

I'm wondering if LE has placed a hold (or whatever it's called) on DC (or on both of them) for if she tries to leave the country by commercial airport. I wonder if they'd be able to step in then in some way. Moldova doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US so otherwise, I guess that would be the end of it.

MOO

Last edited:
If LE went to the grand jury without enough evidence for a likely conviction, the grand jury could say no, and then it's all over.
Grand jury can fail to indict, but the case can be brought before them again later. Testimony is very useful to the prosecutor. But there have to be charges. What would be the charges right now? No one know where M is or what happened to her.

I’m sure the prosecutor in CP’s failure to report case was hoping DC would be called to the stand by the defense and would actually testify and not plead the fifth.

Grand jury can fail to indict, but the case can be brought before them again later. Testimony is very useful to the prosecutor. But there have to be charges. What would be the charges right now? No one know where M is or what happened to her.

I’m sure the prosecutor in CP’s failure to report case was hoping DC would be called to the stand by the defense and would actually testify and not plead the fifth.
Thanks. I'm not sure why I had that misconception.

Do you know who decides who gets called to the stand and who doesn't? I think I read that DC was subpoenaed, which was why she was at the courthouse for two days but then she was not called to testify.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm not sure why I had that misconception.

Do you know who decides who gets called to the stand and who doesn't? I think I read that DC was subpoenaed, which was why she was at the courthouse for two days but then she was not called to testify.
That would ultimately be up to the lead attorney for the state or for the defense I believe. They would issue a subpoena if they think the witness may not show up, compelling them to be there, just the way DC came & hung out. Then they may or may not actually call the witness.

Was the forensics team able to do an inspection of the Cojocari residence? The burning of a couch, carpet and bedding screams murder to me. Surely droplets of blood could be found elsewhere such as the the walls or even the sinks.

Last edited:
Was the forensics team able to do an inspection of the Cojocari residence? The burning of a couch, carpet and bedding screams murder to me. Surely droplets of blood could be found elsewhere such as the the walls or even the sinks.
I'd assume so, since I recall pics of investigators going all over that house and yard.

We do know that LE is holding back info,CP lawyer augured that he didn't want to share more of the evidence than what they needed for the trial. During the trial 1 of his brothers mentioned that he installed security cameras and 3 people were taped, the DA objected, and then the Judge said he wasn't sure where he was going with that. Maybe those 3 people have something to do with the case. Also a Union Co. NC sheriffs car dropped DC off at their home the day after DC was released. So Union Co borders Mecklenburg Co.so how does that fit in. I am sure both DC and CP are being watched. I didn't know that the mattress and carpet were moved and missing until the trial, seems that that info was held back and came out during the trial. Another thing DC Mom came here for DC arraignment which I thought was a little odd, why not wait and find out if there is going to be a trial, then come here. I wonder if she left with Madalina and if anyone checked the departing flight. So many questions and not enough to find Info to find what really matters, Madalina. Does anyone know if DC and CP were given their car's and money back or would it still be held as evidence

Is Chris still covering her costs?
I don't know how to answer that question because as far as I know, the income/assets are held jointly in a marriage, they don't belong solely to the one who works outside the home. In other words, Chris wouldn't be considered "covering her costs" in the first place, any more than Diana would be considered to be covering Chris's costs. (I'm not sure what happens if one of them tries to cut the other off from the joint funds).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,

Diana has a green card upon marriage with Chris. IT was not qualified by her getting work visa. So purely by marriage.

Is a green card for life or do you have to renew

Why did the hen pecked hubby not divorce Diana or ask for restraining order?

Recently in North Carolina at Wells Fargo my son and his wife recently separated. He went to the bank and they said he could not take his wife's name off the account, but they did tell him he could take his name off and start his own account. There was no funds left in the account though when he started his new account. If there were they said he could withdraw them and put the money in the new account.

I've had joint accounts at two different major banks. You can't cut someone off or take their name off the account. At USBank you can't even take YOURSELF off the account!

What you can do is withdraw 100% of the money and close the account. That leaves one person potentially with a total loss of any funds that were "jointly owned." A "joint" account in reality means "all money goes to the one who gets to the bank first when poop hits the fan in the relationship."

Of course he was also responsible for not reporting Madalina missing. The jury got it right, and not because they were mostly men. IMO CP knew Madalina wasn't in the house but lacked the courage to take action. But he is a grown adult and should have. Just like in any case where one spouse knows the other harmed a child.

I really get the feeling that the purpose of CP doing this trial instead of just pleading guilty or "no contest," if that would be allowed, was really to lay the groundwork in his favor, and possibly in DC's favor too, in case far more serious charges come up in the future.

I do understand that having a felony on his record seriously limits his career options but imo he had to know he didn't have that great of a chance of clearing his name anyway and that he'd have to tell some things that show him in a very unflattering light.

That leads to a second possible reason for his standing trial, clearing his reputation. I think he would have or should have known it wasn't all that likely that he would clear his reputation and that he might actually only make his reputation even worse. Also, back to the career thing, I originally thought he was retired anyway. He's close to retirement age anyway, which makes me wonder how important the first reason above (career) would have been to him anyway.

But, especially since DC wasn't called to the stand and also pleaded guilty on her own charges without a trial, however CP and his attorney present the whole ordeal is the scenario that stands at this point, regardless of how much truth there is (or is not) to it.

I also think he may well have been working with DC on this. As it is, she appears to be insane and CP appears to be law abiding but very naive and submissive. That helps them both because if DC goes back to Moldova, she's likely safe anyway, and she stands as the insane wife, the one of them most likely to have done something illegal with Madalina instead of CP. And if they're both called back to court on far more serious charges, DC might be able to get a far better sentence due to her alleged insanity. Even if she didn't get off on an insanity defense, I'd think it would at least be a mitigating circumstance?

If it was really just about the failure to report charge, I'd think CP might have been better off to just save himself the trouble and exposure and plead "no contest." ALL MOO

Last edited:
for those of us who watch reality TV, this is something they talk about a lot on 90 day fiancé as part of the K1 visa process.

“An Affidavit of Support is legally enforceable. The sponsor's financial responsibility usually lasts until the applicant either becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work (usually 10 years) under the Social Security Act”

Even if you divorce, the sponsor would still be responsible for financial supporting their ex-spouse for the remainder of those 10 years.

I really get the feeling that the purpose of CP doing this trial instead of just pleading guilty or "no contest," if that would be allowed, was really to lay the groundwork in his favor, and possibly in DC's favor too, in case far more serious charges come up in the future.

I do understand that having a felony on his record seriously limits his career options but imo he had to know he didn't have that great of a chance of clearing his name anyway and that he'd have to tell some things that show him in a very unflattering light.

That leads to a second possible reason for his standing trial, clearing his reputation. I think he would have or should have known it wasn't all that likely that he would clear his reputation and that he might actually only make his reputation even worse. Also, back to the career thing, I originally thought he was retired anyway. He's close to retirement age anyway, which makes me wonder how important the first reason above (career) would have been to him anyway.

But, especially since DC wasn't called to the stand and also pleaded guilty on her own charges, however CP and his attorney present the whole ordeal is the scenario that stands at this point, regardless of how much truth there is (or is not) to it.

I also think he may well have been working with DC on this. As it is, she appears to be insane and CP appears to be law abiding but very naive and submissive. That helps them both because if DC goes back to Moldova, she's likely safe anyway, and she stands as the insane wife, the one of them most likely to have done something illegal with Madalina instead of CP. And if they're both called back to court on far more serious charges, DC might be able to get a far better sentence due to her alleged insanity. Even if she didn't get off on an insanity defense, I'd think it would at least be a mitigating circumstance?

If it was really just about the failure to report charge, I'd think CP might have been better off to just save himself the trouble and exposure and plead "no contest." ALL MOO
My guess would be, he truly saw himself as not guilty since he didn't know Madalina was actually missing. I don't know how the law works as it pertains to pleading no contest but I'd assume he took his lawyer's advice and did what his lawyer told him to do. For all the good it did him.

To me, the most important aspect of this awful case is the fact that Madalina is still missing. I have zero doubt her mother knows exactly what happened, but she's not talking.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back