NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Guilty -- 15 minute deliberation!

Emma Mondo
BREAKING: the jury has reached a verdict in the trial of Christpoher Palmiter after about 15 minutes of deliberation

BREAKING: the jury has found Christpoher Palmiter GUILTY in failing to report his stepdaughter, Madalina Cojocari, missing.
Yeah, I figured those men were going to throw him under the bus.
Okay so, he's guilty.

NOW... where's the missing child? Someone needs to go to prison for this.

1 p.m.
The jury announces they have a verdict.

1:15 p.m.
The jury reached a unanimous verdict of guilty to failing to report a child's disappearance to law enforcement. They moved immediately to sentencing. It's a class one felony, but Palmiter has no prior convictions. The state said Palmiter is only eligible for probation but argued for the maximum probation period.

The judge determined Palmiter had no mitigating factors, so he was sentenced of not less than 6 months and not more than 17 months.

Guilty -- 15 minute deliberation!

BREAKING: the jury has found Christpoher Palmiter GUILTY in failing to report his stepdaughter, Madalina Cojocari, missing

Emma Mondo "X"
Wow, I didn’t even have time to chime in with my opinion on guilt or innocence.

IMO it was a fine line between the letter of the law and human nature. A tough consideration.

lol, I had the opposite thought about the jury makeup that @Ontario Mom had. I believed the men would see CP as being under DC’s thumb and thus having no voice in the house.

But at the end of the day IMO once CP assumed the care and supervision of Madalina it became his burden to know where she was. It was his business to insist on laying eyes on her.

At the same time I understand how forceful and convincing Diana was.

A wild and crazy ride in this trial. And Madalina is still missing.
MOO

1:15 pm continued

The judge determined Palmiter had no mitigating factors, so he was sentenced to no less than 6 months and not more than 17 months. However, he has already served time while waiting for this trial, which will be taken into account so jail time won't happen. Palmiter was sentenced to 30 months of supervised probation. As part of that probation, Palmiter will need to try to pay his defense attorney back the more than $30,000 it cost to defend him.

The jury charge would be very helpful. One thing I've learned about this case is the public has been pitifully uninformed from the start. We've been fortunate the judge even allowed tweet reporting from the courtroom. MOO
I tend to find that in almost every case I ever follow that eventually ends up in court.
LE has SO much evidence & witness interviews that the public never knows about and in some cases, would change their opinion in a heartbeat if they knew about it all along. Then in other cases, just seals the door firmly shut on the *guilty* opinion with tons of terrible evidence.

It occured to me recently following a different case that the pesky problem with Occam's Razor rule, (the most obvious answer usually being the most accurate) is that there's always an exception to that rule. I think this case is a pretty good example of that, since none of us knew all this stuff about DC until CP opted to plead not guilty and asked for a jury trial. It didn't go in his favor but with the info that came out about their home life, I doubt most folks still think he had anything to do with that child going missing.

jmo

Wow, I didn’t even have time to chime in with my opinion on guilt or innocence.

IMO it was a fine line between the letter of the law and human nature. A tough consideration.

lol, I had the opposite thought about the jury makeup that @Ontario Mom had. I believed the men would see CP as being under DC’s thumb and thus having no voice in the house.

But at the end of the day IMO once CP assumed the care and supervision of Madalina it became his burden to know where she was. It was his business to insist on laying eyes on her.

At the same time I understand how forceful and convincing Diana was.

A wild and crazy ride in this trial. And Madalina is still missing.
MOO
I could practically hear what the men were calling him in that jury room. And it wasn't "guilty".
That's all I can say without getting into trouble, lol.

What happens if he is found NG of knowing she was missing, but later her body is found with evidence that he was involved? Would it complicate the case against him if a previous trial "proved" he didn't even know she was missing? After all, you can't disappear someone without knowing that they've disappeared.

I think the jury got it right. CP failed to report a person, a child no less, living in his house, missing. Even the most hands-off male parental figure would know if someone is in her room or in the bathroom. The defense did a good job of working with what they had in a case where the defendant should have copped a plea.

Palmiter showed no emotion during the verdict, remaining stoic as he had throughout the eight-day trial, but smiling in apparent relief as he stood beside his attorney afterward.

“I believe he’s innocent,” said Brandon Roseman, his Charlotte lawyer. “Mr. Palmiter maintains his innocence and appreciates the service of the jury.

Roseman said he has begun the appeal process.

( I wasn't expecting that!)

Palmiter showed no emotion during the verdict, remaining stoic as he had throughout the eight-day trial, but smiling in apparent relief as he stood beside his attorney afterward.

“I believe he’s innocent,” said Brandon Roseman, his Charlotte lawyer. “Mr. Palmiter maintains his innocence and appreciates the service of the jury.

I believe attorneys usually do say they plan to appeal when their client is found guilty so I don't think it means much. MOO

The alleged story told in the article about the courting and marriage of those two weirdos paints Diana as a cold, conniving grifter and Christopher as a gullible victim who was caught in her web. I’m inclined to believe it, based on facts that could be corroborated.

But does that exonerate Christopher from the responsibility of Madalina’s care and support? IMO that responsibility started the minute he hired attorneys to arrange for visa for her and her mother.

So what can he claim in an appeal? The only thing I can think of is that he could argue that the state implied that Madalina’s disappearance constituted a crime and thus implicated CP as being involved, which was irrelevant to the charge. Like Ross Harris’ argument that his sexting minors shouldn’t have been included in his trial.

I just don’t know. What else? That CP’s poor memory indicates something like early onset dementia? I don’t think an absent-minded professor argument would fly without medical evidence.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. And Madalina is still missing. Bah.

The alleged story told in the article about the courting and marriage of those two weirdos paints Diana as a cold, conniving grifter and Christopher as a gullible victim who was caught in her web. I’m inclined to believe it, based on facts that could be corroborated.

But does that exonerate Christopher from the responsibility of Madalina’s care and support? IMO that responsibility started the minute he hired attorneys to arrange for visa for her and her mother.

So what can he claim in an appeal? The only thing I can think of is that he could argue that the state implied that Madalina’s disappearance constituted a crime and thus implicated CP as being involved, which was irrelevant to the charge. Like Ross Harris’ argument that his sexting minors shouldn’t have been included in his trial.

I just don’t know. What else? That CP’s poor memory indicates something like early onset dementia? I don’t think an absent-minded professor argument would fly without medical evidence.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. And Madalina is still missing. Bah.
I also wonder what could be the basis for appeal. I don't think it could be that the state implied Madalina's disappearance is a crime. The state emphasized that the reason she was missing was not relevant to the charges. IMO it was the defense that presented evidence that made it seem as if a crime had been committed (by DC.)

My feeling is that someone who apparently unquestioningly takes orders from someone else and unquestioningly accepts anything they say or do, regardless of how strange or alarming, can be an extremely dangerous person.

CP basically said that DC was quite psychotic and also a chronic liar. That is not someone to unquestioningly trust with a child and ignore signs that the child is missing with. As we see here.

It almost seemed to me like CP was trying to say he is not responsible because he plays the role of a child in his marriage. He doesn't get to be a child though, when he took in an actual child who he shares responsibility for and who is missing from his home, accompanied by many obvious signs that things weren't right at all.

The example that keeps coming to my mind is Charles Manson's followers. They simply did whatever Charles Manson said, with no discernment or limits, including murder. They may have been very nice people, aside from that.

MOO

Last edited:
Whatever CP's deal is, Absent Minded Professor, Manson Follower-esque character, etc., at the end of the day, Madalina is still missing and her MOTHER is the one that mislead everyone & straight up lied to everyone that asked about her.

Her mother is walking free as a bird, and Madalina is still missing. It's mind-boggling that this is the case.

Whatever CP's deal is, Absent Minded Professor, Manson Follower-esque character, etc., at the end of the day, Madalina is still missing and her MOTHER is the one that mislead everyone & straight up lied to everyone that asked about her.

Her mother is walking free as a bird, and Madalina is still missing. It's mind-boggling that this is the case.
I don't see it as an either/or between CP and DC, though. My post was about CP only, and I think it has merit. I don't think his actions and attitude should be blown off as irrelevant, and neither did the jury. I think it's highly likely that they're both involved.

Also, let's keep in mind that DC and whatever associates she has were not called to the stand. We've only heard from CP and those on CP's side, with the assistance of CP's defense attorney, not the same from DC, her family and her attorney. That's not even half of the picture. Personally, I'm not about to champion either one of these "parents" at this point, that's for sure.

Hopefully, we'll hear more sometime soon. MOO

Last edited:
So many unanswered questions remain. Like what was the deal with Diana and her only known relative in the US - who appears to have criminal connections to drugs/trafficking? She told him her marriage was bad and she wanted a divorce.

Why didn’t she consult a lawyer if she didn’t trust the police? CP had no legal right to prevent her or Madalina from leaving.

And if Diana’s mother was able to come to North Carolina when Diana was arrested why couldn’t she have come before and taken Madalina back with her?

IMO it stinks worse than a skunk in a closet. I’m not convinced Diana had any intention of returning to Moldova. I think she was enjoying the free life here in the US and CP’s seemingly endless supply of money. JMOO

I don't see it as an either/or between CP and DC, though. My post was about CP only, and I think it has merit. I don't think his actions and attitude should be blown off as irrelevant, and neither did the jury. I think it's highly likely that they're both involved.

Also, let's keep in mind that DC and whatever associates she has were not called to the stand. We've only heard from CP and those on CP's side, with the assistance of CP's defense attorney, not the same from DC, her family and her attorney. That's not even half of the picture. Personally, I'm not about to champion either one of these "parents" at this point, that's for sure.

Hopefully, we'll hear more sometime soon. MOO

I definitely see this as an either/or.

I never said his actions were irrelevant, and the jury found him guilty of not reporting Madalina missing, and so be it. That being said, Diana had full physical and legal custody of that child, and she "disappeared" on HER watch.
While CP legally also had an obligation to report her missing (*even though I don't think he actually knew she was) Diana is the one who lied to both CP and the school when asked where Madalina was, and continued to mislead CP into thinking she was hiking or in the mountains or sick in her room.

I'm also not championing anyone, but I am saying it doesn't seem right that DC is walking free.

jmo

So many unanswered questions remain. Like what was the deal with Diana and her only known relative in the US - who appears to have criminal connections to drugs/trafficking? She told him her marriage was bad and she wanted a divorce.

Why didn’t she consult a lawyer if she didn’t trust the police? CP had no legal right to prevent her or Madalina from leaving.

And if Diana’s mother was able to come to North Carolina when Diana was arrested why couldn’t she have come before and taken Madalina back with her?

IMO it stinks worse than a skunk in a closet. I’m not convinced Diana had any intention of returning to Moldova. I think she was enjoying the free life here in the US and CP’s seemingly endless supply of money. JMOO

Too many unanswered questions, I agree.

Madalina was last seen by anyone on 11/21 on the school bus and that phone call with DC's mother telling the cousin she wanted him to "smuggle away" DC and Madalina, that DC was in a bad marriage, wanted a divorce, etc., was nearly 2 weeks later. If that doesn't scream "DC's cover story" I don't really know what would.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back