NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

10:50 a.m.
Roseman continues to tell the jury that Palmiter was confused about what was happening. He says Diana repeatedly referred to Madalina like she was around the house. He says Diana was aggressive and belittled him in a secret recording. He then says Diana was paranoid, accusing her husband of calling the police when she went hiking on Dec. 5.

"She references her intuition and that this was Chris' time to protect their family," Roseman said, referring to the plan to get Madalina to Michigan. "But he did try, he spoke to his family, gave her cash. But when Diana got there, she got paranoid and it didn't work out."

He says this led to Chris being removed from the "circle of trust" with Diana. Roseman then shows Western Union receipts of Diana sending money to Moldova.

"How is Mr. Palmiter supposed to know what she is doing or the extent of her actions?" Roseman said.

He then says Diana's actions show she had no intention of sticking around, pointing to the $8,000 and passports investigators found in her purse.

"Does it look like she is staying in town?" Roseman asks. "It looks like she is not going to be around long."

During the early weeks of Madalina's disappearance I posted this may be a DV violence case with Madalina and Diana the victims of step-father.

Now, the tables are turned, with defense claiming this an abuse and gaslighting case with step-father and Madalina being the victims. MOO

Last edited:

10:52 a.m.
Diana did not allow Palmiter to handle matters as simple as walking Madalina through the neighborhood, Roseman says. He says school administrators didn't know who he was because Diana was the one who took care of her daughter's education. Palmiter read truancy emails sent by the school but didn't understand, so he attempted to approach Diana, Roseman says.

"Diana tells him she will handle it," he said. "Diana lies to him all the time. Right from the front, when they met on a website, she lied about her age."

He says homeschooling was brought up several times because Diana was concerned about what her daughter was learning in school. Roseman says Palmiter wanted to help but was excluded from the circle of trust.

During the early weeks of Madalina's disappearance I posted this may be a DV violence case with Madalina and Diana the victims of step-father.

Now, the tables are turned, with defense claiming this an abuse and gaslighting case with step-father and Madalina being the victims.
With the evidence presented, if I were on the jury I'd be voting not guilty.
I don't believe he realized Madalina was missing that whole time, and it looks pretty obvious DC was lying to him all along, trying to make him think she was fine.

Not to mention, DC's behavior after Madalina was last seen. Her own daughter is missing and she's off hiking. :rolleyes:

10:56 a.m.
Roseman says there is nothing to support that Palmiter was involved in a conspiracy to hide Madalina. He says Diana Cojocari "indoctrinated" him into the whole system and forced him to participate in rituals at their home.

"Diana did not trust him and she told him, 'I feel like an outsider,'" Roseman said. "That is what he believed. The same plane he was involved in before, but now he is no longer involved."

Palmiter believed Diana was moving out, so Palmiter took photos of the bins in his house. He had no reason to believe Madalina was not in her care, Roseman says.

11:15 a.m.
Brandon Roseman, Palmiter's defense attorney, says Diana Cojocari was manipulating Palmiter by taking away items in their home then putting them back.

Roseman says Diana Cojocari sent a message to the school on Dec. 2 saying Madalina was sick, then left Flonase around the house so Palmiter would believe Madalina was sick and in her room. Roseman says Palmiter tried to take slices of pizza to Madalina, but Diana Cojocari removed one of the slices and said she would take it to Madalina herself.

Roseman argues that there would be no reason for Palmiter to believe Madalina is not in her room.

"He loves Madalina," Roseman said.

Roseman says Diana Cojocari is the one who reported Madalina missing because she was the only person that knew Madalina was missing.

11:15 a.m.
Brandon Roseman, Palmiter's defense attorney, says Diana Cojocari was manipulating Palmiter by taking away items in their home then putting them back.
Wouldn't it be wild if they found a google search on her phone or home pc about where the term gaslighting actually came from?

11:25 a.m.
Brandon Roseman, Palmiter's defense attorney, ends his closing statement by telling the jury he believes the burden of proof is beyond reasonable doubt, with evidence supporting Palmiter's testimony. He says if the jury thinks he might be guilty, but has any doubt, they have to find him not guilty.

Roseman says Palmiter should not be held responsible for Diana Cojocari's actions.

The court enters a brief recess after the statement.

I need to hear Prosecution's closing statement to help balance my thoughts.
It'll certainly be interesting to hear what they focus on, and what they don't.
Again, they have to prove he knew she was missing the whole time.
That seems like a pretty tall order given all the lies DC told him.
She's sick, she's in her room, she's in the bathroom, we went to the mountains, we're hiking, etc., etc.

If she was gone that entire time, and she was, and DC was lying to CP (and the school, let's not forget) about it, and she was, how in the world does the prosecution intend to prove CP knew Madalina was missing - when even her own MOTHER pretended she was off doing this or that?

I think there was a lot of truth in his testimony, but I think it is reasonable to believe that he would have been suspicious about Madalina's safety when DC burned everything with her image on it and burned her trundle mattress.

The case will probably go the the jury after lunch. I wonder if there will be a verdict today.

11:40 a.m.
Court resumes, with the state beginning its closing statement.
The state prosecutor argued that Madalina did not get to choose who her parents, or parent figures, were -- but that Palmiter chose Madalina and promised to protect her, but "for 23 days" failed to do so.

He said there are two elements for the jury to consider: If Palmiter is someone who provides supervision for a child under 16, and if he failed to report her disappearance.

11:50 a.m.
The state prosecutor argued the burden of proof applies only to the element of the charge, not to other factors like if Diana Cojocari went to the mountains.

He said if the 12 people on the jury can agree that from Nov. 23 to Dec. 15, Palmiter did not know his stepdaughter's location and had not had contact with her over for over 24 hours, then they should find him guilty.

"He's the only father she ever had," the state prosecutor argued.

11:55 a.m.
The state prosecutor argued Palmiter said in his own words he acted like her father and treated her like his daughter, noting Palmiter's brother testified Madalina was Palmiter's daughter. He said Palmiter was the emergency contact, and was the only one authorized to pick her up from school besides Diana Cojocari.

The state prosecutor also referred to Palmiter filing a visa when Madalina was 4, saying he could financially take care of her.

He said the court wouldn't be having this conversation if Palmiter supervised her the way he should have.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back