GUILTY TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tylee and JJ had the sweetest faces. Tylee was on the cusp of some of the best years of her life (and being able to get away from Lori if she wanted to.) JJ sounds like he was a brilliant little guy.

Just absolutely senseless that this happened and that their own mother was involved. I feel so terrible for JJ's grandparents, and for Colby, and for everyone who loved these four people. The absolute and total insanity of the entire convoluted situation...I'd never be able to stop thinking about it if these were my loved ones.

Mentally unwell/delusional or not, whatever the case -- I hope Lori has at least moments for the rest of her life where the crushing reality of what she did, and how full of [redacted] Chad is and was, and everything she threw away FOR NOTHING hits her like a ton of bricks over and over again.

I don't know that I buy that Chad ever sincerely believed he wasn't just talking nonsense, so my hope for him is that it sinks in that even with phone calls or letters, he's never going to have an audience hanging on his every word. And that one way or another he's going to leave prison in a pine box, known of only to a small percentage of people -- and that of the people who DO know who he is, nearly 100% of those know him not as some genius religious scholar-author, but rather as a liar, an adulterer, and a multi-murderer. Awful lot of broken commandments there for someone so "pious", buddy.

Is anyone surprised that John Prior did not speak to the press after court was dismissed yesterday?

Do you expect to see him do an interview sometime soon?

No, I bet he was hustling away from that courthouse as fast as he possibly could.

Hopefully? he will just disappear for awhile. Decompress. Regroup. I can't help but think of Kirk Nurmi and how much he despised Joda Arias.

Chad was scratched by JJ a few days earlier. According to MG, Chad was not at Lori's apartment the evening before JJ was killed. The murder likely occurred at night when Lori's guests were sleeping and Chad was at home with Tammy. She would have noticed his absence. He texted Lori at 4am.
I recall MG testimony that CD was in and out of the apartment that weekend. Warwick confirms that as well and also that he saw the scratches on CD's neck when he returned from bringing JJ upstairs. cant seem to find which day it happened. but it was testified CD was alone with JJ in that instance.

How could Lori take down a strong teenager like Tylee? I can’t see it. I think Alex and Chad took her to the woods and inflicted those wounds. Or Alex with Lori present.
Lori worked out, and IIRC was taller and more agile than Tylee. I think Lori in a rage would be a force to be reckoned with.

How could Lori take down a strong teenager like Tylee? I can’t see it. I think Alex and Chad took her to the woods and inflicted those wounds. Or Alex with Lori present.
Easily. One whack to the head with something deadly (hammer, meat cleaver) and she's down. The reason I think Lori did that is because of the threat she made to Audrey, indicating she could chop her up and hide her body where nobody would find it but she'd need to get in the right frame of mind and that it's bloody and requires bleach for clean up. I mean who talks that way?! It sounded to me like she had experience.

Statement from Matt and Heather Daybell:

The last few days and months have been a rollercoaster of emotions for so many, including for Heather and I.
The justice we’ve sought for has finally been attained, but for us in this moment, our feelings go back and forth from happiness and relief to sadness and sorrow. The jury’s unanimous verdict and sentence brings to a close nearly 10 years since this all began for our little family.
We would sincerely like to thank SO MANY who have reached out and offered words of support and love these last 2 months, and throughout the past 4 ½ years. Your kindness, especially towards Heather, has been needed and truly appreciated.
Like so many of you, we hope to continue to heal our family, move forward together, and look toward better days ahead.
We are so grateful to the jury, to Judge Boyce, to all law enforcement involved, and to the Fremont and Madison prosecution teams. A sincere thank you for your tireless efforts, expertise, and preparation for such a complex and emotional case – we know it has affected each of you and your families. Thank you.
We continue to express our love and support to Kay and Larry Woodcock and their extended families, to Tammy’s father Ron and the entire Douglas family, and to Colby and the extended Cox families. Kay and Larry reached out from the very beginning and have been such great examples to us.
We also express our love to the many other countless victims that have been affected, including those within our own family.
We realize that nothing will bring Tammy, JJ, and Tylee back, but we sincerely hope and pray that, with justice now served, we are all able to move forward together, hoping for brighter days ahead, and showing greater love and compassion to all.
Matt and Heather Daybell

Tylee and JJ had the sweetest faces. Tylee was on the cusp of some of the best years of her life (and being able to get away from Lori if she wanted to.) JJ sounds like he was a brilliant little guy.

Just absolutely senseless that this happened and that their own mother was involved. I feel so terrible for JJ's grandparents, and for Colby, and for everyone who loved these four people. The absolute and total insanity of the entire convoluted situation...I'd never be able to stop thinking about it if these were my loved ones.

Mentally unwell/delusional or not, whatever the case -- I hope Lori has at least moments for the rest of her life where the crushing reality of what she did, and how full of [redacted] Chad is and was, and everything she threw away FOR NOTHING hits her like a ton of bricks over and over again.

I don't know that I buy that Chad ever sincerely believed he wasn't just talking nonsense, so my hope for him is that it sinks in that even with phone calls or letters, he's never going to have an audience hanging on his every word. And that one way or another he's going to leave prison in a pine box, known of only to a small percentage of people -- and that of the people who DO know who he is, nearly 100% of those know him not as some genius religious scholar-author, but rather as a liar, an adulterer, and a multi-murderer. Awful lot of broken commandments there for someone so "pious", buddy.
Yeah, I don't think he believed his own BS. There were times in texts where he did that thing that charlatan psychics do which is to mirror back what someone says, confirming what they want to believe. One instance I can think of was when Lori said that Tylee (who was dark by then) had been sweet and cleaned her room and Chad followed with something affirming that she wasn't as dark that day or some bad spirit had left or some crap. It was sheer manipulation. Lori, OTOH, believed his nonsense, imo.

No, not surprised Prior didn’t speak after the verdict/sentencing. There appeared to be an obvious disconnect with him and Chad imo.

Although Prior annoyed the heck out of me at times, I have to say he did try his best to defend Chad….up until the end when Chad called the shots on no mitigation.

Don’t think he will do an interview anytime soon, but possibly a book in the future….like Jodi Arias lawyer Kirk Nurmi.
I suspect Prior despises Chad and he will be feeling a whole lot free-er today.

MOO

Statement from Matt and Heather Daybell:

The last few days and months have been a rollercoaster of emotions for so many, including for Heather and I.
The justice we’ve sought for has finally been attained, but for us in this moment, our feelings go back and forth from happiness and relief to sadness and sorrow. The jury’s unanimous verdict and sentence brings to a close nearly 10 years since this all began for our little family.
We would sincerely like to thank SO MANY who have reached out and offered words of support and love these last 2 months, and throughout the past 4 ½ years. Your kindness, especially towards Heather, has been needed and truly appreciated.
Like so many of you, we hope to continue to heal our family, move forward together, and look toward better days ahead.
We are so grateful to the jury, to Judge Boyce, to all law enforcement involved, and to the Fremont and Madison prosecution teams. A sincere thank you for your tireless efforts, expertise, and preparation for such a complex and emotional case – we know it has affected each of you and your families. Thank you.
We continue to express our love and support to Kay and Larry Woodcock and their extended families, to Tammy’s father Ron and the entire Douglas family, and to Colby and the extended Cox families. Kay and Larry reached out from the very beginning and have been such great examples to us.
We also express our love to the many other countless victims that have been affected, including those within our own family.
We realize that nothing will bring Tammy, JJ, and Tylee back, but we sincerely hope and pray that, with justice now served, we are all able to move forward together, hoping for brighter days ahead, and showing greater love and compassion to all.
Matt and Heather Daybell

I sure hope that Heather has been given the heartfelt apologies she deserves.

In this nice statement - and I know it was unintentional - Charles goes unmentioned, as well his two biological sons, who I feel are so often overlooked. There are so many people who have been harmed by this that it's easy to not to think of them all. Those two guys lost a wonderful dad and step siblings. Charles has other family, as well and, of course, Kay is his sister so she also lost two family members. The carnage here is so widespread.

I sure hope that Heather has been given the heartfelt apologies she deserves.

In this nice statement - and I know it was unintentional - Charles goes unmentioned, as well his two biological sons, who I feel are so often overlooked. There are so many people who have been harmed by this that it's easy to not to think of them all. Those two guys lost a wonderful dad and step siblings. Charles has other family, as well and, of course, Kay is his sister so she also lost two family members. The carnage here is so widespread.
Maybe in their mind Charle's day is coming.
We will all be here 100%in for that.

Whether Chad faces charges ahead in that or not... we all know he was involved in some way some how.

I suspect Prior despises Chad and he will be feeling a whole lot free-er today.

MOO
You can bet on it. He also wanted out but it was too late and the judge said no. Now he's stuck with Chad's property (including the "Cozy Cone" which he probably never wants to utter again) which he never wanted and won't be easy to sell. He did a great job for his rotten defendant and also deserves thanks for assuring there won't be anything to appeal as far as Chad's defense.

You can bet on it. He also wanted out but it was too late and the judge said no. Now he's stuck with Chad's property (including the "Cozy Cone" which he probably never wants to utter again) which he never wanted and won't be easy to sell. He did a great job for his rotten defendant and also deserves thanks for assuring there won't be anything to appeal as far as Chad's defense.
I agree totally.
Prior did his bit to make sure Chad will never be released..... FAIRLY. :cool:

I think they like each other.

I have no reason to think Prior approves of murder. But I think he does think Chad is just a strange, misunderstood, shy man who got into the wrong relationship and did things he wouldn't have done if he weren't in it.

I think Prior believes Lori was leading Chad by the storm. I think he is sincere when he says Chad is entitled to his "fundamental" religion. I think Prior seriously imagines that a man can't be expected to control himself when with a beautiful woman. Prior opened his case with the story that his beautiful girlfriend thinks he proposed but he didn't enter in any agreement. Poor Prior! The real victim in his relationship! He feels Chad is in an analogous relationship, but it went farther than an accidental marriage proposal. It went to accidental murders.

MOO

I think they like each other.

I have no reason to think Prior approves of murder. But I think he does think Chad is just a strange, misunderstood, shy man who got into the wrong relationship and did things he wouldn't have done if he weren't in it.

I think Prior believes Lori was leading Chad by the storm. I think he is sincere when he says Chad is entitled to his "fundamental" religion. I think Prior seriously imagines that a man can't be expected to control himself when with a beautiful woman. Prior opened his case with the story that his beautiful girlfriend thinks he proposed but he didn't enter in any agreement. Poor Prior! The real victim in his relationship! He feels Chad is in an analogous relationship, but it went farther than an accidental marriage proposal. It went to accidental murders.

MOO
Fascinating how we can all see the same thing... yet interpret it in so many ways!

IMO and it holds no more value than yours Ruminations, just because Prior said all that stuff doesn't mean he actually believes it.
He had to give his client's defence something to poke at after all. ;)

Re Chad apparently not abusing his own kids - maybe not physically, but I think that what he has done to them mentally and emotionally could definitely be called abuse. JMO
One of CD's strongest motivations, IMO, was the need for control.

The "priesthood" of the LDS church gave him the authority to control Tammy and his children. As Emma stated in her testimony, CD was the patriarch and therefore, he had divinely-appointed power to receive revelation for their lives. We see that in the police car video, when Emma is still looking to CD to tell her what to do and how to handle the situation, even though she's a grown woman and he's just been arrested for a heinous crime. He had no desire to harm his children, because his children submitted to his control without question.

But that wasn't enough. He wanted more control over more people. Being an editor at a publisher wasn't enough, so he started his own publishing house. Being a secretary to the bishopric wasn't enough, so he tried to gather his own following.

In his books, he claimed that his near-death experiences gave him more power, more authority, a greater ability to see what not just his own family but everyone else around him should be doing. He tried to use these visions to control his extended family -- to get them to move to Rexburg, to get them to buy into his plan -- and the people who didn't listen to him? who wouldn't submit to his control over their lives? (folks like Heather Daybell?) They were declared dark. Dangerous. Not to be listened to.

Enter LVD.

CD had control over LVD. Yes, she had her own ways of manipulating him, too, but when push came to shove, she wanted him to be her spiritual guide. She looked to him to tell her what to do.

But Charles? CD had zero control over him. CD knew he couldn't keep Charles from trying to contact Tammy and making his affair public. CD had no control over him. Therefore, Charles was dark.

And Brandon? Brandon wasn't buying into what CD was selling, either. He vocally opposed what CD was teaching Melani. CD had no control over him. Therefore, Brandon was dark.

And Tylee and JJ? Tylee was a teenager who wasn't afraid to speak her mind. She wasn't just going to accept his visionary claims at face value. JJ was an autistic child whose behavior was often beyond the control of his own mother. He wasn't going to listen to some random guy who'd just waltzed into his life. The kids each in their own ways resisted CD's control over their lives. Therefore, they were dark.

And then there was Tammy. Personally, I believe that, with LVD hanging on his every word, CD started to realize just how "uncontrollable" Tammy had become --- how often she thought for herself and did things her own way, without coming to him for guidance or direction. LVD would listen to his visions without questioning, but Tammy had to be pushed. She had to be convinced. She was not as easy to control. Maybe Tammy found out about the affair. Or maybe CD just realized that if she did, he wouldn't be able to control what she'd say to others or what she'd do in response. And that's when she became dark, too.

IMO, the "darkness" numbers were just CD's twisted way of rating how much control he could exert over a person. They listen to everything he says without questioning? They're light. They think he's full of BS? They're dark.

(Side note: This is also why I believe that CD had a personal hand in the physical murders of Tylee, JJ, and Tammy. AC liked guns and swords, and they seemed to fit his style: bold and brash and fast, done in a way that he could uphold his narrative about himself -- that he's a protector, a cowboy archetype, a "good guy with a gun." Strangulation, though, is a slow, deliberate way to kill someone, which involves exerting forceful physical control over their bodies. I think taking their lives in this particular way was CD's choice and that he was the one who would have relished that ultimate act of control over them.)

IMO. MOO.

The Cox and Shiflet statement ends:
Tammy, Tylee and JJ will always be remembered as bright lights in this world!
Again, no mention of Charles and he part of their family for what - 15 years? That really bugs me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back